mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 8th March

Another thing I would hope the team would touch on is the zoom time. It takes around a fourth to a half of a second to zoom in and out in ArmA 3 while in 2 it takes around one second. It does get bothersome and helps a lot in my opinion. Another thing would be the crosshairs. I thought that they agreed on not using them? If not, then I think it'd be nice if the crosshairs were re-done in a way to represent ArmA, instead of those four pecks around the screen.

Looking very nice. I'll add on as I think of some. Feel free to dispute the ideas.

from my understanding they will respawn at server restarts, and from what i believe, you will die way before you being able to clear a village

Challenge accepted.

• Like 1

I want endgame boss someone from bush family, we gotta slay the motherfucker all chernarus gotta come together and kill this giant motherfucker. please make it happen rocket, put a giant member of bush family to center of map to survivors to slay together!

or just put a giant obama. throwing bullshit all around and killing survivors. we will gear up from cherno and elektro then gear up more from north towns, airfields and at last slay this motherfucker at the north end of the map. make it happen man please

in the end, all zombies turn into joints to picked up by survivors. joint is a massive inventory item, makes you spawn a vehicle you want. a plane maybe.

Yeah, I don't know about other people. But capturing on fraps halves my framerate. There is a capture card on the machine, just need to figure out how to use it.

its just human eye. when you capture something at 60 or 30fps doesnt matter. your capture is good but ppl just turn off the blur via disabling PP effects. btw include Oktane's noblur or some improvements over PP would be nice before you release man. blur in arma II is no good. please consider an option to disable it without messing with AOcclusion

Stick a camera in someone's face and they'll immediately act differently. Doesn't matter who they are. I could be wrong but it's didn't sound like they had much play time by the time Rocket started recording. And judging by Senior Lightfoot's wrangling of a certain forum mod, it seems like they were limited to a certain area.

Don't hate, congratulate.

like he said, it's an idea for "next time"

I'm an admittedly 'quiet' person, and because of that I appreciate the 'gift of gab' some other people have

• Like 1

Yup, it's discussed in the other devblogs and this one where they say they now spawn all at once when the server starts.

@ Nicefish, there are other testers believe it or not - good testers provide good bug reports, not bags full of ego. Youtubers are great at making vids, testers are good at testing. They're very different things. I do agree they were rubbish in that vid though :) .

What makes reddit/forum moderators or even those other testers to be better at testing than youtubers?

Edited by drouz
  • Like 1

*DISCLAIMER*

Hold back your tears.

Since I obviously didn't make myself clear, a little prior explanation is in order methinks.

The guys in the video are Reddit/forum mods, not professional testers.

A professional testing assignment would really only be necessary if the devs need specific information, fast.

There's no reason to assume youtubers would be any better than mods at testing, or vice-versa.

I'm pretty sure those were just folks who happened to be on the server at the time.

Now, with those wires uncrossed, let's continue...

What makes reddit/forum moderators or even those other testers to be better at testing than youtubers?
That's a pretty daft question.

Youtubers are good at playing thier games, commentating and making videos. It's what they do.

Testers, on the other hand, are experienced in reporting their findings to the devs in a way which is obvioulsy going to be to a higher standard than the average joe would manage, because they have experience of such things.

It's more helpful to have people who can communicate their experiences/issues clearly and concisely, because it makes finding and solving problems that much easier.

Edited by Chabowski

Excelllent work - really excitied to see how it's coming along. Liked the way that even with such a short run the group's individual look began to get distinct by the end.

The 'new Chernarus' is looking good, although I would have liked to see people go into a few more buildings.

Early DayZ, though - keep the updates coming.

Good shout by the way.

I think with the amount we've been going on about customisation etc. for SA, by the time I actually saw it I just took it for granted.

That's not necessarily a bad thing either. It proves that it feels natural, authentic and exactly what you'd expect.

Awesome.

You serious

Arma 3s engine is a state at present

There are many better looking games out there that run solid

Arma 3s engine doesnt at the moment.

Lol, like what? And don't even say BF3. You'll just end up losing. :)

Lol, like what? And don't even say BF3. You'll just end up losing. :)

Every game out at the moment except ArmA and PlanetSide 2 can be run at 60fps on an OK computer, even if it means turning some settings down, loads of them are comparable to ArmA 3 in graphics. Unfortunately with ArmA 2 and 3 and PS2 it's just something you have to deal with that a framerate we have all come to expect is simply not available even on a system running, for example, an i7 and GTX Titan, because it is so badly optimised. I just hope DayZ when it comes out runs at 60fps all the time even if it means playing everything on low, otherwise I can't see myself playing it much.

Here's a thought...

To add to the imbedded cruelty that is life in DayZ, it should be that if a player dies, then he cannot use the same name for a certain number of life cycles after death.

This will force him/her to invent an entirely new character.

Rocket, you can thank me for that brilliant idea in your own time.

Edited by codestargod

Every game out at the moment except ArmA and PlanetSide 2 can be run at 60fps on an OK computer, even if it means turning some settings down, loads of them are comparable to ArmA 3 in graphics. Unfortunately with ArmA 2 and 3 and PS2 it's just something you have to deal with that a framerate we have all come to expect is simply not available even on a system running, for example, an i7 and GTX Titan, because it is so badly optimised. I just hope DayZ when it comes out runs at 60fps all the time even if it means playing everything on low, otherwise I can't see myself playing it much.

I'm talking about games in the genre: FPS. Although this is a milsim, but there isn't any real rival to it in the milsim genre.

I completely agree on the framerates, never argued that.

For now, Arma 3 looks the most life like for me compared to BF3 and games of that sort, even though I PLAY BF3, I can say that for sure.

BF3 is just flashy, colorful game with cartoonish models. And that blue filter.... mother of god, is like playing through a cyborg. It's pretty, but it doesn't look life-like like in Arma 3.

Going off-topic here, but had to answer it.

If it does get implemented....

3p5dvn.jpg

Edited by infi

snip

yes, yes... but you have got to admit that it is a simple yet brilliant idea that serves to place even greater importance on one's life.

'Reincarnation' (reuse of call sign) should not be an option in DayZ... or at least, reincarnation should only be possible after a few life cycles after death. The call sign should be placed in a 'purgatory' database for a period of time before it can be used by the player again.

To add to the mix, depending on whether the player has been good or bad, they will be offered the opportunity by the god of DayZ to be reincarnated (i.e. allowed to reuse their original call sign) sooner than a character with a history of evil.

"DayZ was designed to be impossibly cruel, dark, and brutal. It was not designed as a game, it was more of an experiment. I prefer the term 'anti-game'." - rocket

So say we all!!! :P

Edited by codestargod

Not sure if anyone asked this question or pushed hard on the topic but, Will zombies be a real threat in the SA?. I know in the mod its just a pvp survival game really with zombies in the background just being there for the most part. I think zombies should be the biggest threat so your less likely to waste bullets on a fresh spawn and more likely to work together so that it requires a group effort to loot a town.

Here's a thought...

To add to the imbedded cruelty that is life in DayZ, it should be that if a player dies, then he cannot use the same name for a certain number of life cycles after death.

This will force him/her to invent an entirely new character.

Worst Idea Ever. Mainly because that is how it is in WarZ. "Know Your Enemy" - Sun Tzu.

Worst Idea Ever. Mainly because that is how it is in WarZ. "Know Your Enemy" - Sun Tzu.

Now there's a bit of eff'ed up logic for you...

Edited by codestargod

You really cant take mconstuctive critisism can you Rocket?

Come on mate he was giving some solid advice

I get plenty of advice, I actively pursue it by reading the forums and on reddit. But the thing about advice, is that it is given for the receive to choose to accept it or not. I was explaining the reasons why I felt that the points he was making didn't really fit at all with the type of game I wanted to make.

• Like 5

Not sure if anyone asked this question or pushed hard on the topic but, Will zombies be a real threat in the SA?. I know in the mod its just a pvp survival game really with zombies in the background just being there for the most part. I think zombies should be the biggest threat so your less likely to waste bullets on a fresh spawn and more likely to work together so that it requires a group effort to loot a town.

Yes. In this very devblog they talk about making the zeds a bigger threat. They've talked about it in the past devblogs too. They're quite informative.

^fekkin ninja'd :/

Edited by Fraggle

Settings were normal/low because I couldn't figure out how to use the damn capture card so I had to run fraps.

I used Banidcam to capture footage of DayZ and it worked great with the VBR MPEG-2 codec. Very little performance hit.

That's a pretty daft question.

Youtubers are good at playing thier games, commentating and making videos. It's what they do.

Testers, on the other hand, are experienced in reporting their findings to the devs in a way which is obvioulsy going to be to a higher standard than the average joe would manage, because they have experience of such things.

It's more helpful to have people who can communicate their experiences/issues clearly and concisely, because it makes finding and solving problems that much easier.

I think the point was that there's no inherent reason a forum moderator or youtuber would be better or worse at testing

(and I'm just making a broad statement, so don't bother getting into your personal beta testing resume)

I get plenty of advice, I actively pursue it by reading the forums and on reddit. But the thing about advice, is that it is given for the receive to choose to accept it or not. I was explaining the reasons why I felt that the points he was making didn't really fit at all with the type of game I wanted to make.

Rocket, check it out... you can get even with this noob by implementing my idea in my last post.. bet it will piss him off real good. :D

Edited by codestargod