rocket

DayZ Devblog 25 Jan 2013

grmpf..what I am saying is that there should not be any kind of safe strategy ..just spawning the zeds right from the start is not enough...there should be a lot of variation where they spawn, how many of them spawn, if they spawn at all or if they spawn maybe delayed...the time for their respawn after being killed ( could be a range from 3 minutes to 3 hours for example)...

imagine you are approaching a village...and there are no zombies...this could mean..they have been killed..have been lured away...there are no zombies at all ...there are zombies only inside the buildings...or zombies will be spawned delayed.....maybe exactly when you coming out of a building ( what a surprise)....next time you go to the same village and it will be maybe flooded with zeds....

Why no inventory SS though ? :(

I don't exactly remember where rocket said that, I watched and read too many interviews the last few days, but he mentioned, that the Inventory system is currently in a development stage, where the functions are implemented, but the exact design of the UI isn't finished yet.

He also said at various occasions, that they are going to implement some functions they believe to be extremely innovative and they don't want any speculations or people copying it, before it is released.

Considering what he went through with WarZ, it is very understandable, that he is careful with what he says, promises and shows.

And in a way, not knowing it in advance will increase the awesomeness we experience when we finally see it. ;-)

One thing though is you guys forget that the world is not just full of dark black,Asian and blonde haired blue eyed white men.Please make ALOT of faces to choose from and remember that the world is not just these 3 sterotypes. ;)

Rocket said that's also important to him. They will start with those three, but more will follow. Also they want to allow customizable skins, so the community can import their own. He even wants players to be able to use their real faces if they want to.

According to the interview yesterday, the development of the characters will be the main objective in the next month, before they tackle base building and vehicles.

grmpf..what I am saying is that there should not be any kind of safe strategy ..just spawning the zeds right from the start is not enough...there should be a lot of variation where they spawn, how many of them spawn, if they spawn at all or if they spawn maybe delayed...the time for their respawn after being killed ( could be a range from 3 minutes to 3 hours for example)...

imagine you are approaching a village...and there are no zombies...this could mean..they have been killed..have been lured away...there are no zombies at all ...there are zombies only inside the buildings...or zombies will be spawned delayed.....maybe exactly when you coming out of a building ( what a surprise)....next time you go to the same village and it will be maybe flooded with zeds....

With always-spawned zombies comes the problem of entertaining them while noone is there.

I could Imagine that some walkers just roam around the country, following distant lights or sounds they heard, while other zombies might just lie down and wait for something to move.

I just hope, that they will respawn in locations, far away from players. Only few things as annoying as having a zombie coming out of nowhere right next to you...

I would could imagine, that hordes of zombies coming into a town from all sides, because they heard shots would give a greater experience than always having to sneak into towns that are already fully infested with zombies. Those hordes could be, at random, filled up with a few more respawned zombies, increasing the overall zombie danger every time someone blindly shoots around a village, while it would favor those who keep a low profile and kill silently.

The only fear I have is, that the gameplay wont be as balanced, so that groups as individuals and bandits as heros have equal chances to compete.

But as I, like rocket, prefer the PvEnv component and the collecting over PvP aspects, I doubt that any inbalance in the standalone will be to my disadvantage.

Edited by liquidmind
  • Like 4

They run and after that shoot static targets.Almost all of them missed the first and second shots and they didnt start shooting right after taking the gun, they need to load it first, thats give them extra time to rest.Yes the gun didnt sway that mutch in real life but you need some kind of feedback to show that your virtual soldier is tired.Without it will be quite confusing when your gun is steady and your bullets hit everything but the target.These guys in the video run around 100meters and shoot targets half the distance maybe less and they shoоt really slow, on top of that they missed alot.My point is that in-game you need that exaggerated sway for player feedback to know when and under what circumstances you can shoot with the best posibble accuracy.Alot of things in games even in sim games are deliberately exaggerated because you need feedback for almost everything that happens around you.

I think in Arma this is very well build.Its not quite realistic and maybe need little polish but gives you the feeling that these poligons are really alive.It need to be that way until someone invent real holodeck or something. :)

I disagree completely, it's over-exaggerated to make it seem like running makes a massive and un-adjustable difference in the way all people shoot. It doesn't. If you want feedback that your character is tired, have him breath harder, or run slower (as it does now). There is no need for the ludicrous amount of sway after running. As I said before, it's both too much and done improperly. Even if you were shaking as such, your muzzle doesn't jump around from random point A to point B. It sways naturally given the sagging and rising of your chest and arms.

Like it or not, and I'll probably get flamed for this, but it's fairly accurate... Call Of Duty has a pretty fair CQC shooting mechanic. The sway of your sight picture is fairly uniform in a shallow U shape with minor variations, meaning you can still hit man-sized targets within 100m. If Call of Duty's shooting mechanic had bullet drop added to it, it would be perfect in my opinion. ARMA 2's shooting mechanic is very clunky and profoundly unrealistic in terms of player feedback. Sure, the way the bullet flies after it leaves the muzzle and zeroing is pretty realistic, but in terms of the player actually -firing- the weapon, it's fairly unrealistic.

EDIT - It's worthwhile to mention that it appears there's a maximum of a foot in muzzle variation in ARMA, which is silly... unless you're holding the weapon with one hand.

Edited by Katana67

DAMN IT! Volumetric clouds are so sexy!

• Like 4

It looks like the view distances are different in the comparision pic... or have they been improved for the SA?

It looks like the view distances are different in the comparision pic... or have they been improved for the SA?

I really hope they increase the view distance in standalone. It has been far too small in DayZMod

He mentioned in Shannon's stream that there's a tail-off for objects rendered at a certain distance, thus creating a fade effect as opposed to the object just completely disappearing at a designated distance.

View distances will have different settings for objects and players afaik.

Edited by CapricornOne

The new Zombies make me think of this

Link removed.

Edited by Fraggle

The new Zombies make me think of thisEDITED LINK

Dude, from the bottom of my heart, FUCK. YOU.

I almost shit my pants.

Edited by orlok

ERR, and here! My kids think I have gone loopy... probably true lol.

Hehe just getting you in the mood for the SA, honest :D

Edited by -seraphine-

God I am just chomping at the bits waiting for more pics of our undead foes and info about the storyline. xD

I'm pretty sure that the Arma 2 picture hasn't been taken with same view distance. Not sure are neither taken with 10K view distance.

Dunno why, but the waiting for the game to be released become harder...

By the way, do someone know, will there be some new weapons in DayZ SA? I think I missed the information about it.

Dunno why, but the waiting for the game to be released become harder...

By the way, do someone know, will there be some new weapons in DayZ SA? I think I missed the information about it.

Yes, lots. Technical test will have very few though.

Yes, lots. Technical test will have very few though.

do we have any information about making some of the weapons more realistic regarding the country ...it defenetely should be a Mosin Nagant instead of the Lee Enfield and a Saiga Shotgun ..not a Remington...

Perhaps Chernarus is the world's last stand. All nations had a combined effort there. Thus there's a wide variety of weapons stashed away there.

Perhaps Chernarus is the world's last stand. All nations had a combined effort there. Thus there's a wide variety of weapons stashed away there.

I wonder how the 'last stand/combined effort' turned into some sort of battle royale, but I see what you mean.

I would still prefer more location-appropriate weaponry though, and I'm pretty pleased with the fact that there'll be more civilian weapons and fewer military ones in the standalone.

I think that DayZ tells a story about one of the countries (and most interesting for me, for example, because I'm from Russia and I feel almost like at home on the map, lol) and in the future there will be more DayZ games (sequels or add-ons or side stories) in other countries, with other zombies and so on :)) But maybe not the whole Earth is infected, only Chernarus ;)) Only Rocket knows, lol. To be honest, I really like the setting of DayZ, because it's so different to any another game. All the game developers have a crush on USA, but it become a bit boring already :)) DayZ is really something original, complex... I think the atmosphere of post-soviet remote places / villages is far more scary than modern towns full of zombies, actually :)

P.S. Excuse me for the poor English, hope you've got my "message" :)

P.P.S. Here are some photos from Russia :)) Somewhere near the Vologda:

01-Lager1-533x400.jpg02-zabroshennij-kosmodrom1-533x400.jpg

Really looks like Chernarus, isn't it? :)) Sorry, I don't know how to put the pictures under the 'spoiler' tag on this forum.

Edited by scar-raver
  • Like 2

Just imagine the new mechanics with me for a few seconds guys.

The new behavior of people in player to player interactions will be huge.

killing on sight when you need something will not be common anymore.

why?..

Because of these. Items as entities "deterioration", and Diseases

Example

You come across a player, he is unarmed, you have a gun, you stalk him and notice he has something you disparately need.. "shoes"

in the dayz mod you would shoot this player, easily getting what you want.

but in standalone something changes dramatically. Items take damage/brake/get bloodied...

Now you know the best line of approach on this guy would be to "rob him" you would not kill. you would shout, threat, to give you what you want.. if he comply's you get what you needed clean and undamaged "hopefully"

if he does not, and runs.. you sadly shoot/or not. you do, now you never now what could be in he's blood. what could be on those "shoes for example" and wither you should of even risked it.

think of how bandit's will behave now, making road side robbery's, even to keep on there good side, you might be "bribed"

adding insanely cool interactions between players.

Edited by Ovation
  • Like 3