rocket

DayZ Devblog 25 Jan 2013

Can I give negative beans?

Let's complain to Rocket about. That seems like the acceptable thing to do about it.

*Grabs Megaphone*

ROCKET!!! Why can't I take people beanz on the forummmmmmssssss. Ohhhh maaaaiii gurrrrddddd.

I think it is just bit too dark but it is so much better than in Arma 2.

Am i the only one that realized this:

Volumetric cloud system which means, that the formation of clouds have a severe impact on actual lighting conditions, as in reality.

Can I give negative beans?

I wish. The over speculation of one picture is driving me bonkers. Has anyone mentioned that the length of the shadows indicates that it's late afternoon or even getting towards dusk which would also account for the lower lighting? Also the sun could be behind one of the new volumetric clouds. Hmmm. Anyway, I don't really care because it still looks a million times better and it could just be that whoever took the screenies plays in quite a dark environment so to their eyes at the time it looked brighter. With so many variables to consider i don't think it's worth us getting our knickers in a twist.

Does the lighting look too dark in the other screenies? No. Case closed, on we go.

Why are we talking about this bloody picture anyway? Did you read the Devblog? Tatoos!!!! Clan ID's?!?! So much to discuss.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 9

Absolutely amazing work there rocket! The lighting effects already look a thousand times better than ARMA II and this is just the start of the year!

And I am very glad to see that closed testing is getting underway.

Relax Mr Voodoo. I took the TOH engine for a spin the other day and it looked much better and performed at a similar framefrate I can achieve with DayZ. And that's before the optimisations they're giving it. I know it's not quite the same engine but I'd imagine it gives a half decent comparison.

Edited by Fraggle

Realax Mr Voodoo. I took the TOH engine for a spin the other day and it looked much better and performed at a similar framefrate I can achieve with DayZ. And that's before the optimisations they're giving it. I know it's not quite the same engine but I'd imagine it gives a half decent comparison.

TOH brings my PC to it's knees with the higher settings, while games like BF3 run ultra 1080p 60fps easy.

No, Mr Fraggle, :P I need a computer, full stop, I have a Laptop with a non functional "t" key, I gotta copy and paste everytime i need a t!

And theres no way this lappy will run DayZ in it's current incarnation, so I am getting DayZ withdrawl symtoms here.

No, Mr Fraggle, :P I need a computer, full stop, I have a Laptop with a non functional "t" key, I gotta copy and paste everytime i need a t!

And theres no way this lappy will run DayZ in it's current incarnation, so I am getting DayZ withdrawl symtoms here.

One time my W key broke and I had to VV for ages. It was awful! D:

• Like 5

TOH brings my PC to it's knees with the higher settings, while games like BF3 run ultra 1080p 60fps easy.

I was comparing it to DayZ performance, not BF3.

Best update ever!!!!!!!!

Only one thing guys, please tweak the HDR or something because everything is way too dark at the moment.More natural please. :)

Edited by ICO_hr

Am i the only one that realized this:

Volumetric cloud system which means, that the formation of clouds have a severe impact on actual lighting conditions, as in reality.

Yeah you can't really yet tell is it the volumetric clouds or the overall brightness that does that shady overlook. But I see a little brighter spot in that 'tent screenshot' that gives good hopes.

/Btw. I hope Rocket has fixed that ATOC so it doesn't mess with markets shells because you can see through them with that.

Edited by St. Jimmy

I'm so happy for Standalone Dayz

Everything will be perfect in this GAME

I'm dying to play it all at most and in full HD!

The mod is very poorly programmed!! falls FPS is very annoying

I was comparing it to DayZ performance, not BF3.

I know, it's just weird how heavy Arma/TOH get when you max out the visuals
  • Like 1

The mod is very well programmed for a mod!! FPS drops are certainly going to be addressed in standalone

fixed

• Like 1

Wow, it never ceases to amaze me how awesome this game is coming out. Their programming skills certainly shine and its great to see hard work paying off

I am such a monkey when it comes to programming, so I can really appreciate this stuff

Here is an example of me trying to program:

• Like 4

I was listening to the stream at 5pm with Rocket on it and many things I liked, but one thing that stood out was that he mentioned in more detail was the inventory, how items interact with each other and the wear and tear.

So I have been thinking about this a lot over the last few hours. He confirmed that certain clothing will give you extra slots and these will be different to the other slots in the inventory.

My speculation

So if you add the wear and tear system, I wonder if lets say you have heavy items in your pockets for a long period of time and you run a lot. The items could rip your pockets and you could lose said item, so this would make players think more about which items you would put in which slots.

I also wonder if this would play into how exhausted your character could become, I know there's no stamina bar in this game(and please don't add one) but your character does become breathless and your aim become greatly diminished, so having over weighted pockets could add to the exhaustion.

One other thought to add.

Lets say you kept a handgun in you trousers, either by tucking it into the belt(if you were allowed) or into a pocket. And lets say you have had this weapon for awhile and it has not been regularly maintained, could this weapon missfire. It is conceivable if it is bouncing about in a pocket while you are running. Which adds to a question, will we have safety locks/switches for weapons?

God dammit Rocket, why did you have to make such a cool mod and why do you tease us with glimpses into such a fundamentally, groundbreaking(I hate using the word EPIC) epic game. I want more information! I want the game now! but I am glad you and the team are taken the time to get lots of things right. Why can't more game developers be more like you or had the opportunity to be more like you. I just hope when the world sees the end product, it does wake up game company management to make better games, to let their employees have more freedom to explore new ideas and concepts. Instead of copy paste, add a number on the title and stick a price on it. Anyway I am starting to rant, so I will end with. I can't wait for version 1.0

• Like 4

Wow, it never ceases to amaze me how awesome this game is coming out. Their programming skills certainly shine and its great to see hard work paying off

I am such a monkey when it comes to programming, so I can really appreciate this stuff

Here is an example of me trying to program:

You know it is ironic that back then that computer likely cost more (Especially adjusted for inflation) than a monster computer build that could brush off DayZ at ease.

• Like 2

God dammit Rocket, why did you have to make such a cool mod and why do you tease us with glimpses into such a fundamentally, groundbreaking(I hate using the word EPIC) epic game. I want more information! I want the game now! but I am glad you and the team are taken the time to get lots of things right. Why can't more game developers be more like you or had the opportunity to be more like you. I just hope when the world sees the end product, it does wake up game company management to make better games, to let their employees have more freedom to explore new ideas and concepts. Instead of copy paste, add a number on the title and stick a price on it. Anyway I am starting to rant, so I will end with. I can't wait for version 1.0

The fact that Arma2 is being top seller these couple last weeks should tell people what gamers really want and enjoy. Now let's expect SA launch and reach top sales again (maybe with a record?) and it will be as clear as water.

Looking sicker than ever. I have more faith than I ever had in the DayZ Staff Team.

Kind of worried about optimization. Lots of new features, and I dunno if the system requirements are going to increase since a lot of things appear to be getting ported from ArmA 3 and ToH.

Gotta say I love the infected look of the new woman.Much better than the blood everywhere on face of old.She looks sick from something and I can't wait to gut her open.

One thing though is you guys forget that the world is not just full of dark black,Asian and blonde haired blue eyed white men.Please make ALOT of faces to choose from and remember that the world is not just these 3 sterotypes.;)