SmashT

Reddit - Jan 2013 - Q&A with Rocket

I think in the end server numbers will be between 20 and 30,000,000. That's an actual fact.

• Like 1

As Sergey would say...up to 150 people per server.

No, Sergey would quadruple the number that is actually possible...

Anyhoo, I'm kind of sad that it may be a year before bases come into effect. I was really hoping they would be a little bit closer.

• Like 1

No, Sergey would quadruple the number that is actually possible...

Anyhoo, I'm kind of sad that it may be a year before bases come into effect. I was really hoping they would be a little bit closer.

I think bases need to be done right. Too much technology involved (ie constructing the Umbrella Corporation underground base) is not the way to go. A hole, some timbers and a tarp - that's your base.

• Like 3

I think bases need to be done right. Too much technology involved (ie constructing the Umbrella Corporation underground base) is not the way to go. A hole, some timbers and a tarp - that's your base.

We need a simple item cache in a little pit in the ground! I will not have even a slightes regret if there will be no base construction at all, but using tents as bags is just absurd. We need ability to dig a simple pit, put items, and cover\camo it by some branches or completely hide it. Tent's are meant to be slept in or used as a shelter from weather, not a storage place. It's enormously illogical.

Add a simple backpack item like a persistent tent record in the database. Let those backpacks be permanent as tents. Allow no more than 10 backpack stored per player. Delete each first after creating additional 11th stored backpack. VOILA! AWESOME! :)

• Like 6

Tent's are meant to be slept in or used as a shelter from weather, not a storage place. It's enormously illogical.

^ This. When I first joined I didn't quite get why tents were used to store items. I think that they should have some sort of 'hardcore gamemode' where when you log off, you have to sleep in a tent. Then people can find you asleep in the woods in your tent and assassinate you. I guess this could also be a good idea for some type of long-term survival games too.

150 players makes my nose bleed, but hey imagine a 50 vs 50 fight waving through Cherno.

Lots of things I'd like to address, but most importantly it's gotta be upsetting to see people throwing $50 at what WarZ released in October. Remember? War Inc. mod, 30 player server, less content, a 9x9km map with 30% unlocked. If people thought WarZ was worth $50, Rocket ought to price the standalone after VBS2.

150 sounds pretty much because it means there is 1 person in every 1,5km². I won't bash it now but looks like servers might be pretty crowded at first :D

But i would dare say that 40% of the people would be with 1-2km from the coast. Inland and up north wouldn't be that crowded. Chernogorsk and Electrozadovsk would be crowded and disease ridden.

• Like 2

I'm really interested will there be any change in spawning of vechichles, helicopter and equipment. I mean in the mod you can just go to barracks in northern airfield and loot yourself up pretty well, and it wasn't quite interesting.

150 is going to be tested. If everyone thinks it is too crowded, they will change it for sure. I have no fear on that subject.

• Like 1

I'm really interested will there be any change in spawning of vechichles, helicopter and equipment. I mean in the mod you can just go to barracks in northern airfield and loot yourself up pretty well, and it wasn't quite interesting.

I bet loot won't respawn as quickly, so it will be less profitable. They will probably make it impossible to loot farm (hoping!)

I bet loot won't respawn as quickly, so it will be less profitable. They will probably make it impossible to loot farm (hoping!)

If the zombies are harder this would help too.

I'd put more loot in zombies (food and drinks I mean), or ammo\medical supplies in military zombies, but then they will be just farmed as well. A certain time in spawning will make 150 people come to one area of good loot and make a bang, bang party for a couple of winners. So, actually I don't see how the loot thing is gonna work, that's why i'm interested.

There was a Q&A with Matt where the mods asked him questions about the stand-alone. He said the zombies would be faster than they are right now, so i think it will also make them by far harder, even more if they fix things like zombies walking inside houses. Imagine zombies running faster than you, hitting harder and "running" inside houses? You would HAVE to kill them, no one would be able to just ignore the zeds. they would actually start to have some impact on the game. You wanna shoot you AS50? Go ahead, but be advised that you will most likely die if you don't have a good plan to take out the zeds that will come after you, cause they will be running like crazy and punching like mike tyson.

Of course they would have to fix/make a better stealth system, so people would have a way to avoid zeds.

• Like 2

I don't think AS50's would be good in the SA.

Now take into account that most buildings in the SA will be enterable, I think that would mean more spawn points for items. Running all the way to to the NWAF would be a waste of time now, just think of the stuff you could pick up on the way! It would perhaps triple the time it took normally to get there. Remember the loot is going to be single items now and not piled like before.

Now combine the new Zeds and 150 other players, What an unfriendly place Chernarus will be. I would go to say it will be a deathmatch map, because there will be a threat in almost every town. And there has been no mention of predatorial animals included yet.

I think think there will be an immense amount of tears, these very forums will be full of "It's too hard", all you need is a PVP exclusive map and your screwed royally.

I have to wait for the funds to purchase a new computer (Mine blew up) so I will take lots of solace having you lot play it for me and stream every detail so when I land on the shores, I will have a better understanding of it.

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25

The only problem about having 150 people + zed on the game is that PVP must have consequences. You should be scared of using your non-melee weapon, and it should be your last resort. At least that is what i think.

• Like 3

The only problem about having 150 people + zed on the game is that PVP must have consequences. You should be scared of using your non-melee weapon, and it should be your last resort. At least that is what i think.

Why? PVP is part of the game.. The game wouldn't be the same without it!

PvP Is part of the game, and it is great, but u must see that PvP is not the main purpose of the game. There should be PvP, but not a TDM, and using a pistol, shotgun or assault rifle should have consequences. If mechanics were properly working, the zeds should hear the shots, chase you and kill you (Not necessarily kill you, but be a threat). As the game currently is, the zombies sometimes don't hear the shots, and if they do, u just enter a house, wait for them to come in and get out using the back door. You watch "The Walking Dead" so you should know there's a reason they don't go cowboy and shoot everything they see.

• Like 2

Sorry voodoo for having to hold in there till your new pc is ready.

I cannot wait for next week "hunch"

Guys without seeing the population in-game we will not really fully understand the reasons for why we have that number, i personally think it makes sense and will be a fine number.

lets wait and see

Edited by Ovation

New answer given : Do NVGS or Rangefinders need batteries? Do the Red Dot sights ever run out of power?

[–]rocket2gunsRocket 4 points 57 minutes ago

It's done. That's what "weapons as entities" system has provided us. We can now require any object to use batteries or have components added to it.

"off ta bed nows hope theres some more goodies when i am back"

Edited by Ovation

I dont think we should put to much into him saying 150 players. As far as im reading it, he says that the way the map is designed they feel it could fit 150 players. But i doubt we would see many server with 150 players, as we all know that when a 50 player server starts getting close to 40, we start having more encounters with players all over.

And if they do end up with servers being 150 players i dont think we gonna see cherno and elektro overrun by the majority of these players, as every building will be entereable and with loot. There isnt as much of a reason to stay down by the coast anymore.

I really liked this Q&A, most ive read and seen its been way to little answers to the questions. But this one we got alot of answers it made me a bit hyped for the game again, had gone into a bit of a "meh" state. But this might also be due to the fact that they now know more about how its going to turn out, or atleast their goals.

Looking forward to this, maybe start pickin up DayZ again until then just to get the feel of it, even tho its going to be massivly changed as he says.

Keep up the good work Rocket :) We will be waiting patiently for your game.

If the new number of players i 150, I`m really expecting a thougher punishment in forms of sound travelling longer, and easier identification of people shooting at you from long range and things like that. Not that a shooting player will start to flash pink, but more ways of identifying and taking measures of protection from people just shooting at anyone and anything.

And I hope the best gear don`t always spawn at the same places. Sure, you would have your places that are more certain to have good loot than others, but also making it possible for 150 different players to stumble upon this and that gun in different places. Last thing I`d want is a bottlenecked shootingrange with 20 bandits with long-range weapons controlling the 130 other players.

Really like the fact that he says that long-time players of the game will have to adapt greatly to the new solutions.

And personally I hope that the game sells plenty of copies, and I`m sure it will, but just because people get bored of the game for their own personal reasons, I really hope that there is no way they can ruin the game for others by having a "pre-set" way to join a server for a quick laugh and a killing spree.

I can't wait for the first footage of the technology test. The player's will be getting mauled by Zeds running indoors!!

If the new number of players i 150, I`m really expecting a thougher punishment in forms of sound travelling longer, and easier identification of people shooting at you from long range and things like that. Not that a shooting player will start to flash pink, but more ways of identifying and taking measures of protection from people just shooting at anyone and anything.

And I hope the best gear don`t always spawn at the same places. Sure, you would have your places that are more certain to have good loot than others, but also making it possible for 150 different players to stumble upon this and that gun in different places. Last thing I`d want is a bottlenecked shootingrange with 20 bandits with long-range weapons controlling the 130 other players.

Really like the fact that he says that long-time players of the game will have to adapt greatly to the new solutions.

And personally I hope that the game sells plenty of copies, and I`m sure it will, but just because people get bored of the game for their own personal reasons, I really hope that there is no way they can ruin the game for others by having a "pre-set" way to join a server for a quick laugh and a killing spree.

You should have started your speech with words: "Dear Santa....".

• Like 1