SmashT

Reddit - Jan 2013 - Q&A with Rocket

Fuck the GuineaPig I'd feed him my Sister !!! ;)

that's what the "or fill in whatever you want to get the picture" part was about.

You didn't expect me to really believe, anyone would want something else for christmas than a pet-zombie? do you?

but there are so many things to feed to it, you just gotta leave that up to the owner. ;-)

I really hope this won't be possible in the standalone.

Holy fuck, those admins are rotten to the core.

I know that video, and if it is of an help to you: This only works on private servers!

I had a public server myself for a while, and the config-panel allows nothing like that. you can configure motd, servertime and a password to kick or ban players. That's it. Not even a map that would show you what's going on on the server or any detail on the players that are on.

There are some hosters tough, that give that exact controlpanel pre-installed on private servers if you rent them there.

I'd advice every gamer that doesn't like stuff like that, to look up what hosters allow that option and not to play on any servers they host.

If I'd rent a password-protected private server for me and a few friends, I'd might think about adding some extra-options, but on any server that's connected to the hive, that admin-panel is just impossible. If you are the admin having that panel and you also play on your server, you are cheating.

It is just not possible, that any player, given the chance, wouldn't look stuff up. be it only to see if the player cheated and by accident finding out where he hides.

Edited by liquidmind

One question i haven't seen anyone ask about but i really want to know. Spawning, is it gonna be the same as it currently is which pretty much makes every FPS idiot just stay South and fight cause a AK is good enough to kill or will they spread the spawns around all across the map? make it random.

One question i haven't seen anyone ask about but i really want to know. Spawning, is it gonna be the same as it currently is which pretty much makes every FPS idiot just stay South and fight cause a AK is good enough to kill or will they spread the spawns around all across the map? make it random.

Q: Will spawn points work similarly to the mod on the coast or will they be random throughout the entire map?

A: I just realised I haven't even looked at that yet. Any total DayZ hipsters from back when there was only one server will remember everyone used to spawn at the petrol station West of Cherno at the start and we are kind of back to that point now as it was the first building I configured with the new item spawning system so I've configured the spawn for that location while we are testing. We will have to look at it and test some things, I think definitely one of the advantages of coastal spawns was it gave a reputation to the inland towns and I think more then ever with the new areas we want to maintain that so coastal spawns will probably remain a good idea.

Sweet!!

So instead of being a reasonable price at $25, considering how much of a departure Day Z SA is supposedly going to be compared to even 1.7.4.4 and even 1.7.5.1; Rocket thinks he should be able to charge 40-60? Because of War Z being so much shit?

Sorry bud, but with all the changes, I wouldn't be willing to spend more than $25 to find out if this entirely different game, is worth the money.

At least when I bought ArmA, I got a whole slew of other options to explore. I didn't spend $20 to play only Day Z. I won't spend $40+ on Day Z by itself, especially with ArmA 3 coming out. No thanks. Day Z is fun, but it's also changing. I'm not so sure how I feel about the micromanage changes yet, but I sure as fuck wouldn't pay $40 to have god damn zombies warping through walls.

Can you say War Z 2.0?

Edit:

Q: Are players going to have to re-learn how to play DayZ with SA? Meaning, has the core gameplay architecture changed so much that things we have learned (repairing vehicles, filling a jerry can, giving a blood transfusion) will have to be re-learned?

A: Yes

^ Exactly why the price shouldn't be more than what it is, one map that has about 20-30 km^2 of populated area, and will be a huge departure from what the entire Day Z player base is used to playing or somewhat expecting...

Edited by McGuyver

Sweet!!

So instead of being a reasonable price at $25, considering how much of a departure Day Z SA is supposedly going to be compared to even 1.7.4.4 and even 1.7.5.1; Rocket thinks he should be able to charge 40-60? Because of War Z being so much shit?

Sorry bud, but with all the changes, I wouldn't be willing to spend more than $25 to find out if this entirely different game, is worth the money.

At least when I bought ArmA, I got a whole slew of other options to explore. I didn't spend $20 to play only Day Z. I won't spend $40+ on Day Z by itself, especially with ArmA 3 coming out. No thanks. Day Z is fun, but it's also changing. I'm not so sure how I feel about the micromanage changes yet, but I sure as fuck wouldn't pay $40 to have god damn zombies warping through walls.

Can you say War Z 2.0?

Edit:

Q: Are players going to have to re-learn how to play DayZ with SA? Meaning, has the core gameplay architecture changed so much that things we have learned (repairing vehicles, filling a jerry can, giving a blood transfusion) will have to be re-learned?

^ Exactly why the price shouldn't be more than what it is, one map that has about 20-30 km^2 of populated area, and will be a huge departure from what the entire Day Z player base is used to playing or somewhat expecting...

Unless I have missed something, you are having a bit of a rant about something that is a non-issue.

First of all, from the OP: "Q: What about the price?

A: Cheap for a start, rising in price during development. [...] Regardless, it's never going to be at a full retail price."

Second, this is from an interview with Matt Lightfoot just a few weeks ago: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116479-interview-with-matthew-lightfoot/page__st__40

"Q: What's the cost be of the standalone?

A: Between 15 and 20, at the moment it's looking to be about 18€. "

At this current moment 18 euros is $24.

Hope this has helped you out.

• Like 1

^^Yea, that crazy rant came from out of nowhere.

I missed this bit earlier; what on earth are you talking about with regards to the map size? The map is the same map that we are currently playing, only it has been tweaked, modified and had a new Island added off the coast of Chernarus.

m not sure about 150 players running to churno or elektro it wont be the same with 30 people in elektro

Unless I have missed something, you are having a bit of a rant about something that is a non-issue.

First of all, from the OP: "Q: What about the price?

A: Cheap for a start, rising in price during development. [...] Regardless, it's never going to be at a full retail price."

Second, this is from an interview with Matt Lightfoot just a few weeks ago: http://dayzmod.com/f...ot/page__st__40

"Q: What's the cost be of the standalone?

A: Between 15 and 20, at the moment it's looking to be about 18€. "

At this current moment 18 euros is $24.

Hope this has helped you out.

Maybe you're misinterpreting your own citations. You have Rocket saying, almost two weeks after Matt claimed 15-20 Euros, that with the amount of money that War Z has made with being an absolute shit product, that he is rethinking their current pricing model. So no, everything I said is valid. Skyrocketing the price because War Z was a huge fuck up and shit game, does not mean that Day Z should cost as much as a console game, or anywhere close to it. Retail prices of console games ranging from $40-60, doesn't exactly leave them much room considering that's a whopping $16.

I missed this bit earlier; what on earth are you talking about with regards to the map size? The map is the same map that we are currently playing, only it has been tweaked, modified and had a new Island added off the coast of Chernarus.

I'm talking about actual play size. Yes the map is 15x15 km, and with the addition of Utes it will be larger than that. However, on a server of 50 people, how often do you see 40 out of 50 players sitting in the open fields south of the NW airfield? On the north end of the map? There's a huge map, but in all actuality there isn't that much playable area. I was definitely way off with 20-30 km^2 of playable area, but even with Utes being added it won't be introducing that much more playable area.

I love Day Z, and the 7.5.1 changes are definitely interesting and it feels like a tougher game now. However, with Zombies just running through walls, hitting players through walls, etc; this can't even be considered a pre-alpha version of SA. If SA has these kinds of issues and it's now Beta testing, I think I'll save my money. And an ever increasing price isn't exactly the best way to go about things..

Either Rocket plans to nickel and dime players who initially get in on the game, as the price increases; or Rocket is just going to screw over everyone who gets there late to the party. I don't know how much room between $24 and $40-60 there is for an increasing price range...

Edited by McGuyver

Maybe you're misinterpreting your own citations. You have Rocket saying, almost two weeks after Matt claimed 15-20 Euros, that with the amount of money that War Z has made with being an absolute shit product, that he is rethinking their current pricing model. So no, everything I said is valid. Skyrocketing the price because War Z was a huge fuck up and shit game, does not mean that Day Z should cost as much as a console game, or anywhere close to it. Retail prices of console games ranging from $40-60, doesn't exactly leave them much room considering that's a whopping $16.

I'm talking about actual play size. Yes the map is 15x15 km, and with the addition of Utes it will be larger than that. However, on a server of 50 people, how often do you see 40 out of 50 players sitting in the open fields south of the NW airfield? On the north end of the map? There's a huge map, but in all actuality there isn't that much playable area. I was definitely way off with 20-30 km^2 of playable area, but even with Utes being added it won't be introducing that much more playable area.

I love Day Z, and the 7.5.1 changes are definitely interesting and it feels like a tougher game now. However, with Zombies just running through walls, hitting players through walls, etc; this can't even be considered a pre-alpha version of SA. If SA has these kinds of issues and it's now Beta testing, I think I'll save my money. And an ever increasing price isn't exactly the best way to go about things..

Either Rocket plans to nickel and dime players who initially get in on the game, as the price increases; or Rocket is just going to screw over everyone who gets there late to the party. I don't know how much room between $24 and $40-60 there is for an increasing price range...

At no point has rocket talked about the prices for DayZ "Skyrocketing"; as you will note from the bit I quoted, Rocket specifically states that DayZ will never be priced at the typical full-retail price mark.

As for the map, I still dont have a clue what your point is.

At any rate right now the only figures are those given by Matt Lightfoot a few weeks back so those are the best reference point for actual figures. There are no guarantees until final prices are announced obviously, but certainly there is little cause for a rant about pricing, based entirely on figures that you are creating for yourself.

Q: What about the price?

A: Cheap for a start, rising in price during development. I'm just going to come right out and say it, so that people start to stop with this whole "competition is good" thing. Competition can be good, under the right circumstances. Personally, the WarZ scandal and the price people have been paying has made me think, personally, that we've been undervaluing the project in terms of price. If one company releases a product, that doesn't perform well and is at a high price, and succeeds - what example does that set for other companies? People need to behave like rational consumers and not just instantly buy everything they see - otherwise all they will end up with is crap. The moment gamers start organizing and rewarding developers that meet what the consumers want - is the moment the publishers will be forced to value their developers more (and pay them more). Regardless, it's never going to be at a full retail price.

You all may not be reading that like I am. But regardless of what Rocket says about a full retail price, they're rethinking a reasonable price. Why? Because War Z sucked and a lot of people bought it thinking it was Day Z. Yet if 1/3 of the people who have played Day Z buy SA, at $20, Bohemia would make 10 million. Oh the humanity, such little profit! It probably cost them a whopping few hundred thousand, if that, to develop. If 250k people buy it for 35, they'd make a lot less. If 750k people bought it for $15, they'd make more.

Pretty simple economics, I don't know why they'd be rethinking the price at all..

I'm talking about actual play size. Yes the map is 15x15 km, and with the addition of Utes it will be larger than that. However, on a server of 50 people, how often do you see 40 out of 50 players sitting in the open fields south of the NW airfield? On the north end of the map? There's a huge map, but in all actuality there isn't that much playable area.
Regardless of player hot-spots, the entire area of the map is accessible to you.

Even the entire expanse of water is "playable area". More than that even. You can travel for MILES beyond the edges of the "map". It just keeps going.

There's not much to see, but it's definitely "playable area".

Granted, everything could change for SA, but I doubt they're building a wall around Chernarus+.

EDIT:

On the subject of price, I think they've underestimated their worth.

Of course, "value" is subjective, but I think you'd be hard pushed to find someone who would find $40 exorbitant.

Edited by Chabowski

EDIT:

On the subject of price, I think they've underestimated their worth.

Of course, "value" is subjective, but I think you'd be hard pushed to find someone who would find $40 exorbitant.

I wouldn't pay for Day Z as it is right now, the mod. I'd be demanding my money back if I had to deal with Zombies warping through walls and hitting through walls. Sorry, but for how buggy the mod has been, I couldn't justify dropping anymore than $20-25 on Standalone. If they decide that they've undervalued their product, by way of War Z fucking up, they have a pretty big chance to do the same thing to themselves. If it released at $40, I wouldn't be buying it for at least a week, to hear about what bugs are still there and what got fixed. If I wasn't immediately sold on the game within 24 hours I'd probably abandon ship for that price.

Whereas, if it stays ~$25 like they've talked about, I'd be willing to pre-order the damn thing. It's the principle of the matter. They shouldn't have cited any estimations of price if the price wasn't confirmed. Certainly talking about an increasing price as development continues is the opposite of how things work, unfortunately for game producers.

That's what expansions are for, generating new revenue from new content.

Edited by McGuyver

They shouldn't have cited any estimations of price if the price wasn't confirmed. Certainly talking about an increasing price as development continues is the opposite of how things work, unfortunately for game producers.
When asked a question, it's only polite to attempt to give an answer. And that's exactly what happened.

RE, price, again.

Since otherZ was "worth" the price, people are obviously willing to fork out for this kind of thing, but as I said, value is subjective.

You only have to look at what the development process will be going through to realise that the increase in price over time will be tempered by the features and quality of the product's contemporary state.

This pricing model is perfectly sensible.

If you're going to be checking the quality of a product before you spend money on it, all I can say is "Duh".

150 players! OOhh yes please :D

Moooo, hahaha

I'd be demanding my money back if I had to deal with Zombies warping through walls and hitting through walls.

You know if you tried the same thing for Fallout, Skyrim, etc. The retailers would laugh in your face..

Edited by CapricornOne

can we still add questions here for the dev-team? or is it worthless effort?

can we still add questions here for the dev-team? or is it worthless effort?

Post away!

I can't guarantee a response but if we get enough questions I'll organise them and attempt to get them answered by Rocket or Matt. They're busy guy's and I think they're also being very careful about what info is released but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Edited by Fraggle

Post away!

I can't guarantee a response but if we get enough questions I'll organise them and attempt to get them answered by Rocket or Matt. They're busy guy's and I think they're also being very careful about what info is released but it doesn't hurt to ask.

wwwaaaaaaaaaa I've forgotten all of them!! Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

well okay:

some questions right away:

• Do you have any idea how the health system will end up? health = blood = food or health = blood + ???
  • Do you think wounds should have a higher impact? More time consuming and/or more variables when dealt with; more effort for players not to end up with a sepsis? temp. restrictions of locomotor system?

edited:

• Can you give us some fresh news on what we will definitely see in the first public alpha version of the Standalone?
  • Is DAYZ: Standalone the working title, or are yo going to change that later somehow? (you are aware there are still many many who believe the Mod is actually SA's alpha and WARZ = DAYZ, respectively.)
  • Would you like ppl to vote later on to decide which major or minor content/features would be implemented?

i'll keep them adding..

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

They're good openers actually, I have no idea from the updates (or testing) whats happening in those areas.

Edited by Fraggle

I dont think beyond the map (in as much as its Chernarus with many changes), and the premise of the infection, will the SA and MOD be even close. relatively speaking, only a very small part of the MOD will be SA... SA will kinda look like the MOD but it will be a totally different game. Issues with the MOD will be mostly, dare I say be virtually non-existent in the SA (or at least be available for almost immediate fix if/when they become apparent).