SmashT

Reddit - Jan 2013 - Q&A with Rocket

I can't wait for the first footage of the technology test. The player's will be getting mauled by Zeds running indoors!!

The first footage of SA the zeds will be same crap they are now. It will change, but first footage will be too soon.

The first footage of SA the zeds will be same crap they are now. It will change, but first footage will be too soon.

I am fairly certain that Rocket mentioned in a tweet that Zeds were running indoors.

Why? PVP is part of the game.. The game wouldn't be the same without it!

It would still be there, but it would have to be more calculated. I hate the PvP where bandits sit on a hill with an AS50 and snipe everyone going by. They should instead have to plan when they do before firing. If this was realistic, people wouldn't just kill others all the time for no reason. They would have planned a murder to benefit themselves in some way. I think if there is an apocalypse, people will kill each other. One thing they won't do is just pointless killing. You will kill for self defense or to gain something that helps your personal survival.

• Like 1

Making assumptions on SA population is nothing but speculation

we can't relate the mod experience as evidence to claim 150 wont work for SA

we do not fully understand the changes that have been made

the map size, the lack of loot from more demand, more separated loot opportunity way more loot variety. will make the socio-economics change dramatically, you cannot assume people will even remotely behave the same

when the change in incentives changes so hugely.

the game may feel the same, but people will react differently. population will be a fascinating contributor to the way rocket envisions this game works so the number is fascinating indeed.

Edited by Ovation
  • Like 1

^ the more rocket talks about the possibility's the more i waste time on the forums

I like the 150 players.

I hope it can be achieved.

Next step.

500 players.

Would probably break everyones computer.

Edited by GOD™

Great read. Thanks for posting. Vehicle customization is a very interesting topic. My excitement level rises daily. Huzzah!

Don't you mean Gigadi

This only made me 100x more excited about SA.

Rocket is being a tease :(

I see a lot of comments that 150/server is to many. I think most are forgetting that Rocket said that we will all have to learn a new game. Who knows how the loot will be distributed or even how building placement may change. The bigger towns will always be more popular ... or will they? Until we know the demographics of the SA map it is all speculation based on obsolete information.

Lets get this party started!!!

150player.....hmmm maybe extrem laggparty.

hopefully there is a admin option -> max. xx ping for player else block/kick

Really really dissapointed by the lack of support for private hives and modding which saved the mod in the first place when the cheaters started to take over the game !

Without private hives, the mod would be dead months ago, and you would lose tens of thousands of potential player for the StandAlone.

Show some gratitude Rocket!

Edited by narsil

Really really dissapointed by the lack of support for private hives and modding which saved the mod in the first place when the cheaters started to take over the game !

Without private hives, the mod would be dead months ago, and you would lose tens of thousands of potential player for the StandAlone.

Private hives are against the philosophy of the game. Your character is meant to be persistent across all servers so you only have one life, and thus make death more punishing.

But if the SA is still full of hackers, then I'm sure rocket will change his mind. IMO I'd rather have no private hives and a consitent gameplay on official servers and I trust the devs to fix security problems in the SA, but we just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

sure modding was very helpful to get dayZ mod going during hard times...but it is and was the possibility to mod arma/dayz which allowed hacking in the first place...beside this Rocket has confirmed that modding will be in later on when the game is running as stable as intended....

• Like 3

150 players? omg..

I play on a server that allows 60 players, and thats already to many for me.

Following DayZdb's map, Chernarus is roughly 13*13 tiles big.

Thats 169 tiles.

With 60 playes, thats 1 player per 2.8 tiles.

Thats seems fine to me, but actually quite a bit, since we are supposed to be the few lucky survivors of the zombie infection that has hit the world.

In a map with 150 players Chernaurus, there would be a player roughly every 1.1 tile of the map! Heck, no matter where you go, you should "theoretically", almost be able to see to another surviver.

In my opinion, 30-40 people is enough, but lets see where this goes. :)

Bring the SA!

Edited by Conzolax
  • Like 1

150 players? omg..

Thats 169 tiles.

Thats seems fine to me, but actually quite a bit, since we are supposed to be the few lucky survivors of the zombie infection that has hit the world.

In a map with 150 players Chernaurus, there would be a player roughly every 1.1 tile of the map! Heck, no matter where you go, you should "theoretically", almost be able to see to another surviver.

Bring the SA!

Believe they're going to increase the size of Chernarus, At least I remember reading something like that :P

150 players? omg..

Thats 169 tiles.

Bring the SA!

I think if you take into account the size of the newly opened indoor areas, (even the old one's for that matter), that is more than just the one story/level, and roof area's the area would be substantially larger than the 13 tiles you mention.

I think 150 sounds like a good number mabey just slightly high, but if people are mostly playing with some realism, I.e Caution, then the area is plenty big, i would wager about 100 or so would be a nice feel but as rocket has said himself more than once on other issues, it would only be speculation, untill the new map is released.

Edited by ImRight

still would like to know if Chernarus will get borders ( even invisible border regions would do it for me) to stop people hiding their vehicles at the arse of the world far beyond the playable map....

• Like 1

@Trenix & ImRight

Believe they're going to increase the size of Chernarus, At least I remember reading something like that :P

Point taken, i also didnt know they where going to increase the map size, which is a good move in my opinion.

Now, we just need a major city in the north also. :P

• Like 2

the main DayZ hive when running a server or you'll need to connect to one run by a commercial hoster

Are you seriously unaware of how easily a binary can be manipulated? I seriously fucking hope that Bohemia Interactive is not stupid and foolish enough to do anything OTHER than host ALL of the servers. Letting players with deep pockets host their own server community makes sense in a MOD, but if this is going to be a serious MMO, you can't even consider it.