emuthreat

Public (and press) reception of DayZ in 2020

I had an article about DayZ pop up in my news browsing over lunch today, and decided to give it a read.

https://dotesports.com/streaming/news/lirik-receives-instant-karma-after-teaching-a-harsh-lesson-about-trust-in-dayz

On it's face, it was a retelling of an adventure on a prominent stream. The last two paragraphs added a bit of editorial content:

"DayZ started out as a mod for the ARMA series but soon became its own title. It’s since been abandoned by its developers, but the game is kept alive by the modding community.

Lirik soon woke up and the hijinx continued with multiple other players. DayZ might not be what everyone hoped it once could become, but the modding community and streamers like Lirik help keep it exciting."

I was a bit perplexed at the mention of it having been abandoned by development, especially in the weeks after another update.  It got me wondering what would make an electronic entertainment journalist something publish like this; lack of due dilligence, salty about development, maybe inside information?

Maybe he was just looking for a segue to pump up the role of content creators in the popularity and longevity of the game.

But in any case, I'd think this is an oopsie that requires a correction, or maybe a lead that warrants explanation straight from the horse's mouth.

Edited by emuthreat
missing verb
  • Like 1

Yet another example of how shitty people who call themselves "journalists" or "reporters" are these days.  I hope someone from BI contacts this guy and sets him straight.

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, emuthreat said:

I was a bit perplexed at the mention of it having been abandoned by development, especially in the weeks after another update.  It got me wondering what would make an electronic entertainment journalist something publish like this; lack of due dilligence, salty about development, maybe inside information?

It has not been "abandoned", but development has been sharply scaled back, updates are far and few between and many long-awaited features are never coming.

I believe there are only 10 developers working on DayZ at the moment. Compared to 80 developers in 2018. Initially they told us the team would not be reduced in size during 2019, but they backtracked because only a few months into 2019, a large amount of devs left DayZ to work on "Enfusion technology". 

According to "DayZ in 2020" status report, the only promised features this year worth noting are:

- broken bones

Of course, there were a bunch of other tweaks, balancing and bug fixes they mentioned, and basic things like putting old guns into the game once more. But the only promised feature that really stood out to me was broken bones.

According to community manager Jakub Vambersky, "helicopter will 99% not make it into the game."

So.

• Sad 1

Promotional article for Loaded and streamers only.  Second-hand knowledge of a game the author has never even played.  Is it accurate? Maybe. Most certainly not written as a serious critique of DayZ, however.

While technically it hasn't been abandoned, one could argue it is abandoned. It doesn't receive the love anymore from the developers nor the community who stood behind it. At least not the love that the game is going to be finished and is going to be what's promised. Modders and the community are indeed keeping this game alive. They have achieved what the developers couldn't. It might not be perfect, but they achieved it and that says a lot.

• Beans 2

Good too see you guys still here. But i think we're waiting for that which Will never happen. A decent product. 

I still hope it does work out tho.

I know i had more fun with the 0.62 versions then the crap they made with the new engine... 

Cars, basebuilding, medical, gunmechanics, energie system. Its all executed so poorly.  Shame really. Had some of the best gaming stories with this game. 

Guess eyeballing the forum isnt worth it anymore. Sad days..

• Sad 1

I think that journalist presented a valid, succinct, outsider opinion of a person who doesn't want to bother with nuance because he rightfully assumes that said nuance doesn't change the big picture.

It's like you go to a bar after a breakup, and you start talking to some bar fly about that girl, Sheila, like there was something special between you two, but there was also this other guy, etc. etc. and that bar fly keeps listening and listening and finally says 'got it, she cheated on you and then she dumped you'. And you go 'hey, that's not what happened', but at the end of the day, that's exactly what happened and you know that.

DayZ development is all but abandoned, we were repeatedly lied to, and the final product cannot pretend to meet expectations (and promises) by any stretch of imagination. Only the modding community saved this project.

Look no further than this forum - if it was a real place, it'd be buried under tumbleweeds. Everything time I pop in (which is super rare), I hear a Morricone's score in my head.

• Sad 1
  • Beans 1

13 hours ago, IMT said:

At least not the love that the game is going to be finished and is going to be what's promised.

Former DayZ creative director Brian Hicks made a joke about this topic on the DayZ "Trello" account, where the developers had previously teased works-in-progress, by moving items like the helicopter or motorbike from "In Progress" to a new category called "WTF HAPPENED".

as;ldkjas.

nRi4w0U.png

• Beans 1

Is sad. I've be playing since 2014, took a break for about a year or so, came back and much of the game is not in that was in and there is some new things but then learned all the original guys are gone from development

Just wait for Arma4 dayz mod. Complete with working vehicles.

We're getting on a star citizen time frame at this point.

On 8/1/2020 at 3:15 PM, -Gews- said:

Former DayZ creative director Brian Hicks made a joke about this topic on the DayZ "Trello" account, where the developers had previously teased works-in-progress, by moving items like the helicopter or motorbike from "In Progress" to a new category called "WTF HAPPENED".

as;ldkjas.

He's still at it with the jokes 

nSuVkta.png

• Haha 3

It was abandoned. It feels abandoned. The forums feel abandoned. The server lists feel abandoned. Half this game was cut and hung out to rot. They used to hand out information to keep the community excited.

I find myself doubting the claims that they've still got 10 developers working on this game. If they do, they're certainly not working full-time on just this project.

• Beans 1

Development may have slowed down, the road to version 1.0 littered with broken promises....

But I have been playing games on PC for <muffled voice> ~35 </> years and THIS game is by far the most bang for my buck I ever got.

Warcraft (not the crap WoW) is a distant second followed by Spacequest.

DayZ for me is still  an escape, adventure and fun. Especially now during the real life covid apocalypse where I cannot go on frigging vacation!

Edited by ScipioII
Grammar
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2020 at 8:44 AM, ScipioII said:

By the way... @emuthreat Good to see you again!!

Thanks.  I'm still following development and playing a bit here and there, but the lack of leather tanning really keeps me from getting too into the game.

How are you liking the latest updates?

• Beans 1

On 9/20/2020 at 4:43 PM, emuthreat said:

Thanks.  I'm still following development and playing a bit here and there, but the lack of leather tanning really keeps me from getting too into the game.

How are you liking the latest updates?

I play a couple of hours per week and enjoy it. Mostly just me and my son goofing around and exploring on our own server.   

I like the stability the new updates provide, base building improvements and map improvements, but miss the busses and trucks the most. Some of my best times playing was when we used to pick people up with the bus and went base raiding.

Fucking love this game, love the content that gets put out. Thank you Dev's. We all appreciate you being a small team but we still love you.

I've been enjoying 1.10 thoroughly on xbox so far, as laggy and buggy as it is, it feels a bit more hardcore than the previous patches. DayZ's development has always been either ignored or unfairly put down in most of the media. I also feel like many people are quick to give modders more than their fair share of praise (not that they don't deserve any).