BlackieChan12

Wow, Cholera is instant death now

This has to be some kind of fucking joke. Surely the devs can't be THIS fucking incompetent.

After drinking from a water bottle I found (I could find no way to empty it so I had to drink the water it came with) I contracted what I assumed is cholera, the bacteria looking thing in the bottom. I've managed this disease before this update on a previous character. It's annoying but manageable 

Now, my food and water go down to red so fast, and if I even try to drink or eat a LITTLE bit just to get back to yellow and stop losing health, my character immediately pukes and sends my food/water back down to red even MORE.

What the FUCK am I supposed to do with this ? What a fucking joke this game is becoming with each update. 

Edited by BlackieChan12

14 minutes ago, BlackieChan12 said:

(I could find no way to empty it so I had to drink the water it came with)

You have to look down to empty the bottle. Don't ask why, I was told that 99% of the population do it that way. As for the sickness, adapt or die. It's not that hard, just harder as before.

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Err, cholera is a pretty fatal illness I believe. 

It certainly can be. But I think in game the effects may be too accelerated, and a bit too severe a bit too quickly.

I think it just needs balancing out a bit.

Edited by Duck Solo

19 minutes ago, Duck Solo said:

It certainly can be. But I think in game the effects may be too accelerated, and a bit too severe a bit too quickly.

I think it just needs balancing out a bit.

Possibly, but at what point does a game mechanic become real life. Someone irl could take days to die from cholera. I haven't had it in game yet so can't say how I feel about it until I have. But in games, some things need to be quicker/slower/harder/etc to make it a game. For instance, chopping a tree down with a hatchet would certainly take a lot longer than ten seconds but make things too real and it's no longer a game. 

Edited by DayzDayzFanboy
  • Like 2

It’s shit but 1 sip at a time and pretty much need to keep container in ur hand until you get to a hospital to find meds, I’ve survived for ages doing that since update just percivere with it you’ll get the hang of it! I’ve drunk from running water and still picked up the virus!!WTF

Either use chlorine tablets to disinfect the bottle or empty it (look straight down at your feet to get the option) and refill with clean water, or drink directly from a well (remember to clean your hands!) to avoid getting infected.

IF already sick, take small sips of water and small pieces of food - but often - to avoid triggering vomiting. Make sure you are otherwise in good health, meaning dry, warm and not shot up/clawed to fudge by other players or infected. That way your immune system will slowly but surely fight the sickness until it is cured and the germy symbol disappears. Antibiotics help you get rid of it faster, not instantly, while vitamins boost your immune system temporarily so you'll recover even if low on health or other stats as long as you have vitamins active (pill symbol is showing).

Here's a useful link: 

Spoiler

Even though your post was less than appropriate, I can see that you have gotten some pretty useful advice here.

Please do calm down next time before posting, otherwise you'll get yourself in trouble pretty quickly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlackieChan12 said:

This has to be some kind of fucking joke. Surely the devs can't be THIS fucking incompetent.

After drinking from a water bottle I found (I could find no way to empty it so I had to drink the water it came with) I contracted what I assumed is cholera, the bacteria looking thing in the bottom. I've managed this disease before this update on a previous character. It's annoying but manageable 

Now, my food and water go down to red so fast, and if I even try to drink or eat a LITTLE bit just to get back to yellow and stop losing health, my character immediately pukes and sends my food/water back down to red even MORE.

What the FUCK am I supposed to do with this ? What a fucking joke this game is becoming with each update. 

You could add another swear word, that would be dandy. 🤣

• Haha 1

So a couple days ago, I ran into another survivor and I had no idea you could empty containers by looking directly down.  So, intuitively enough, I poured out my newly found bottled water into his pot, filled the empty bottle at the well; I then made a fireplace and drill kit.  We lit a fire then he poured the unsafe water from the pot over the fire to empty his container for use.  It would have been quite a bit easier to pour it out, but I didn't realize the mechanic was available! I'm handing out beans.

Edited by EzyStriderPS4

2 hours ago, kichilron said:

Even though your post was less than appropriate, I can see that you have gotten some pretty useful advice here.

Please do calm down next time before posting, otherwise you'll get yourself in trouble pretty quickly.

What's the different between a forum admin and someone on the dev team? 

8 minutes ago, Darin Hogarty said:

What's the different between a forum admin and someone on the dev team? 

I don't know, what is the difference between a forum admin and someone on the dev team?

14 minutes ago, Tino81 said:

I don't know, what is the difference between a forum admin and someone on the dev team?

Nothing. Apparently they both make promises they can't keep :roll snare:: 😂

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Tino81 said:

That was actually a genuine question to start Lol I just gave in to peer pressure 😂

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Darin Hogarty said:

That was actually a genuine question to start Lol I just gave in to peer pressure 😂

Couldn't resist 😂

• Haha 1

And this is why you keep tetracycline on you AT ALL TIMES! At least 2 packs.

I always lol when I see people complaining about dieing to cholera.

😆😅😂🤣😅😆😂🤣💀

I like the update, harder to survive.... meds right now are more important than guns.   It's going to suck when all the meds are in stashes and impossible to find...lol

They need to get rid of counting loot stashes as loot in-game.  not sure why it's taking so long to fix this

10 hours ago, BlackieChan12 said:

Cholera is an infectious disease that causes severe watery diarrhea, which can lead to dehydration and even death if untreated. It is caused by eating food or drinking water contaminated with a bacterium called Vibrio cholera

Don't drink from water bottles & canteens Until emptied & refilled at a well. You can only empty them by looking down but there is a bug ATM where you can only do this at ground level, so if your in a house or second floor etc the option won't appear. First thing you should do on spawning is find a well & preferably a bottle & fill you stomach with water till the full stomach symbol appears. That way you can sprint for hours without the need for hydration. Running water in a stream is NOT clean in DayZ and hasn't been for well over a year. Also mushrooms & fruit can spawn rotten now & will also make you throw up. Antibiotics & chlorine tabs are your second priority after getting fully Hydrated, take time to learn all wells, hospital, medic stations & hunting cabin (chlorine tabs). They've even increased the radius of medical spawns at all medical buildings, so now medical loot will spawn in residential buildings next to medical buildings too & vehicles. So they purposefully increased your chances of finding medicine as they Added cholera. Hope this helps

Edited by TheYetiBum
  • Like 2
  • Beans 1

5 hours ago, TheYetiBum said:

They've even increased the radius of medical spawns at all medical buildings, so now medical loot will spawn in residential buildings next to medical buildings too & vehicles. So they purposefully increased your chances of finding medicine as they Added cholera. Hope this helps

They’ve also increased the radius of other specific loot spawns like “police” type items - make sure to check the surrounding civilian buildings of police stations, you can find ammo in the garages in the backyards of stations and I’ve found multiple pistols in the blocks directly across and behind the police station in Elektro previously.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

I haven't had it in game yet so can't say how I feel about it until I have

I have, and let me tell you IT AIN'T NO JOKE.  It's not instant, but If you get it and you can't find any tetra, it's only a matter of time.  Once you start puking, your hydration and food icons will go red, and your only recourse then is what I did.  Let's just say I'm glad I had shells for my shotgun.

6 hours ago, Stagman70 said:

I have, and let me tell you IT AIN'T NO JOKE.  It's not instant, but If you get it and you can't find any tetra, it's only a matter of time.  Once you start puking, your hydration and food icons will go red, and your only recourse then is what I did.  Let's just say I'm glad I had shells for my shotgun.

Soylegend did a video just recently on managing cholera and the key seems to be "nibbling" and "sipping" ; if you take more than 4 gulps of food or water at a a time, it will come straight back up again. 

I somehow forgot to purify my water today and am in the midst of it right now. 

Nibbles and sips and I'm still alive after 8 hours of searching for tetracycline meds... 

• Like 2

I quit like the idea that players need to be wary of what they drink/eat from what/where other than just the usual Z's and other players to be on the look out for 🙂

8 hours ago, FearFokkol said:

I quit like the idea that players need to be wary of what they drink/eat from what/where 🙂

... But isn't that part of reality? 

I play DayZ to live a realistic fantasy... 

Whatever floats your boat, though, I guess... 

18 hours ago, Thunderpants_AU said:

Nibbles and sips and I'm still alive after 8 hours of searching for tetracycline meds

I tried that, but the damage had "stacked" by then, and the littlest bite or sip sent me into a vomiting frenzy