ImpulZ

Experimental Update 0.63.149653

9 hours ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

I will explain this one more time..... they do not have any private servers on EXP

Yes - ( one more time )  . that's WHAT I SAID...

this is  Experimental Patch Discussion - Experimental Update 0.63.149653 - and people are complaining that their bases are vanishing.

So it's NOT because of your private shard architecture  .. good .. OK? - I'm glad we've got that clear. 

... they do not have any private servers on EXP.

Your SQLITE chaos theory can only affect private shards if the private shard database is incorporated into the server instance that crashes, so the database crashes while it is altering data not saved to permanent memory.
You explain that this is nothing to do with EXPERIMENTAL and Public HIVE.. (thanx) -  but you do NOT explain why one kind of data might be so vulnerable, and not other types of player data (what's in their backpacks, for instance) .  Is your private shard SQLITE picky about which data it stores ??

If your data is locally stored (regularly every time-period 't')  to DB "A0"  '.. you can copy DB "A0" to DB "A1'" ( in whole, or in blocks )  - trivial - and then  then update DB "A" with the new data. Do this when you like..It avoids even the possibility of having a irrecoverable corrupt database, you CANT lose more than a few seconds of data.  Your DB checksum will TELL you which of A0 and A1 is corrupt anytime your server needs to do a restart.  This is .. er ... SOOOOOOO BORING .. an obvious way to cover yourself for a trivial and UNLIKELY situation. But, hell,  it's a VERY easy solution on private local Databases, (store before you overwrite, dude) as I'm sure you know. And this has nothing to do with problems on Experimental

I guess that's the most important point, right : this easily-solved 'SQLITE hysteria' has nothing to do with problems on Experimental

So :
1) This is NOT the  problem on EXPERIMENTAL, there are NO local private shards on Experimental.

2) You don't attempt to explain why this has suddenly NOW (on private servers) becomes a problem after all these years.  We know that data backup has worked fine for a long time, - including vehicles and all kinds of containers, tents, etc, in the past.. so it can hardly be because of the database architecture that this new sudden problem appears (on private servers).

3) Why do you claim this supposed SQLITE disaster happens << "mainly" on private servers  >> ??  .. you can't have it both ways, (trying to hedge your bets?) .. Either it happens on Experimental or it DOESN'T.   But the Public Hive is NOT local and unaffected by local instance crashes.  Right  !!

So why would an SQLITE crash (a bad overwrite) ever cause more than a few seconds of data-loss, especially to one particular data group (on private servers)?
And how would YOU test any DB to make sure it was working 100% and ensure it was robust through local power outs ?

please don't panic.. try to think clearly

thanx

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Wall of text deleted

I really wish you would just read instead of assuming what the argument here is about.  You have failed miserably. I’m not arguing about SQLite AT ALL.   In fact I am questioning why don’t they use it for persistence instead of flat binaries that are easily corruptible at the drop of a hat?

and btw.  The bases that are wiped are Area-based it’s not the entire database that gets overwritten.  Reading and more importantly comprehension of the argument presented would go a long way toward moving this issue forward.  Thanks.  

Edited by THEGordonFreeman
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 1

10 hours ago, Private Evans said:

again...if  everything is that fucked then why did they release server files and modding tools , making things more complicated ...

I've been shit on by forum posters and moderators for even making this statement.  The response, "It's because it's what the community wanted" *facepalm*

I want to add one more thing about UI betwen Your DB war :)

So i was playing for quite long time on exp since its up and i want to correct my last post.

I think that new UI is not that bad. Im already used to that Energy new icon and im alright with it. 

But what is just bad for me and just drive me nuts are both drops for blood and water. Main reason is that not even that You switched from watercup to drop instead of canteen which would be way better imo but also You switched it from far right to left where blood drop was for like last year. When it become yellow i start to panic becuase im like WTF why im bleeding? Someone shot me and sound is bugged? Im getting bandage in hands spamming LMB and im like WHY IS THIS NOT WORKING!!!!! and then im like ouh its water... Then im even more mad becuase im like why did You do that freaking change that if water is still water and there is no big difference if that was on right or left.

Other thing that i mentioned before is that health icon. I hate it more and more every time i log in to game :P Its just fat and doesnt match the rest and that cross inside is just to thick.

What i like is new blood icon ( if You can call it that way ) and how its change when You test Your blood. Now You can see what type of blood You have with ez.

What i would do?

- Water in to canteen ( at last You will make some part of community happy )

- Health icon back to cross or what ever different then that fat big dot.

- Switch order water -> energy -> sickness -> temp then separate it with that line what is another good idea imo and then blood -> health.

- Switch sick icon from that face back to pill. All Your changes looks like You are trying to make more serious game and then You do this. Where is logic?

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

3 hours ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

You have failed miserably.

LOL - have a nice day, dude - when you have an argument to present, go right ahead.
Myself,  & everyone on EXPERIMENTAL, and definitely the BI DayZ Devs , will be very HAPPY to hear it.  
(won't we, nation of DayZ players ?... YEssssssssss  !!!!)
While you're working out what you're trying to say (and putting aside what is incoherent ill-temper) why don't you look at your OWN private DayZ game that you can run AT HOME on your own PC (maybe you have heard of this?), and see how player-related data is stored?

- stress-test your own theory at home. This wont help with the public hive at ALL but it MIGHT be related to private shards.. hmm? .. what do you think?
- read what I said earlier, but do it when you are CALM (Yoda says "a programmer gone postal a good programmer is not" )
- think about DataBases .. you have one with your PC's DayZ Offline files, don'tcha?
- do some TESTS ?
- find if your theories fit even a little bit ?

- seek simplicity and distrust it !  (that's general advice, OK?)
- at least put in a COHERENT bug report ?

you see, mate  - I am your Good FAIRY - Your wish is granted, the path is before you !!   Now you CAN be a helpful bunny !!! 
Lay it on the LINE dude, give us the Technical Lowdown on WHAT is wrong with persistence on Experimental. Get it right, solve the problem - I'll be the first to applaud I swear.
I see  multi-beans and millions of admirers in your future. Honest.

Enjoy
xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
~

On 12/4/2018 at 3:43 PM, Reaper TDO said:

really well that is fucked up if they need players to fully test they should push it to private servers too makes sense 

Experimental is FOR testing, isn't that the Point ??  That's what they STARTED the damn thing for. 
A LOT of players rushed over there so they could play with the new stuff - if it was working, half-working,  or not, and others moved there so they could ACTUALLY TEST  ... So what was designed to be 100% EXPERIMENTAL got strangely mainstream suddenly  ... and then players started "complaining" about it not running properly, and messing their game up, and wasting their time, & etc etc.. .. & blah blah woof woof
          {sigh}

IF BI made any strategic mistake anywhere -  [ IF ]  - it was that they should have left 0.62 running as STABLE.  Then all this "private servers" fracas would be irrelevant to EXPERIMENTAL, and it would be obvious that it is irrelevant..

which totally, it is anyway ..

Edited by pilgrim*

25 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

Experimental is FOR testing, isn't that the Point ??  That's what they STARTED the damn thing for. 
OTHER BS DELETED

If experimental is for testing, then why wouldn't they test to see if private servers were functioning properly, oh great self-important Guardian of all things regarding the experimental branch?  It's totally relevant to Experimental because they are NOT testing it but relying on STABLE COMMUNITY SERVERS to do it for them.  Sure, it's all beta, it's being reported, but if they had private servers on EXP branch to test this out BEFORE it hits stable, then this issue would fall in line with everything else BI has been doing... currently IT DOES NOT.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

If experimental is for testing, then why wouldn't they test to see if private servers were functioning properly, oh great self-important Guardian of all things regarding the experimental branch?  It's totally relevant to Experimental because they are NOT testing it but relying on STABLE COMMUNITY SERVERS to do it for them.  Sure, it's all beta, it's being reported, but if they had private servers on EXP branch to test this out BEFORE it hits stable, then this issue would fall in line with everything else BI has been doing... currently IT DOES NOT.

Private servers can run experimental and it's actually annoying as hell having to constantly flip flop between the branches when wanting to use a preferred server that chooses experimental who then switches back to stable, just to switch back to experimental

If you release the Experimental server files to everyone that totally rewrite all server files with their modding/tweaking whatever it will be impossible to iron out most bug since you don't know if the cause is the original release or if it caused by all editing/modding.

Edited by Relic77

This is not hard.  If they wanted to control things a bit, they could very, VERY easily address this by putting up a couple of private servers of their own running EXP.  Just as they could easily place a bunch of cars on EXP so people could test driving and they can gather their data much easier that way. Again... none of this is rocket science. 

so when this game gonna get proper diseases and coldness effeects or is these thing "have to grill chicken avoid stomach problems" postponed to next year?
where are you devs?

4 hours ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

what ?

5 hours ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

they could very, VERY easily address this by putting up a couple of private servers of their own running EXP.

THEY   DO   THIS

ya silly silly person -   of COURSE BI has it's own Private server instances running EXPERIMENTAL   < good grief ! >  

How the hell else do they trace-back bug reports?    They go down the local internet-café ?    They have private servers right in their office.
                                                       (LOL)  
                                                        It's just that YOU are not invited

<duh>

Edited by pilgrim*
clubbing baby seals
  • Thanks 1

I allready submitted it to the feedback tracker, but since the last exp update, my game keeps consistently crashing after about half an hour

13 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

... they do not have any private servers on EXP.

57 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

THEY   DO   THIS

ya silly silly person -   of COURSE BI has it's own Private server instances running EXPERIMENTAL   < good grief ! >  

GET ON YOUR MEDS!  

im sure running private servers with experimental database would change nothing at all.  if there is an issue on your private server that isnt on public then the issue is because of either something you have changed or something wrong with the machine u are running it on.  the files being run on a private server are going to be exactly the same as the ones on public aside from what you change.  if it no longer works properly that is your problem and not the responsability of the devs to fix for you.  

if i play a game of monopoly in the living room and then another one in the basement do the rules of the game change? the colors of the game pieces?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

im sure running private servers with experimental database would change nothing at all.  if there is an issue on your private server that isnt on public then the issue is because of either something you have changed or something wrong with the machine u are running it on.  the files being run on a private server are going to be exactly the same as the ones on public aside from what you change.  if it no longer works properly that is your problem and not the responsability of the devs to fix for you.  

if i play a game of monopoly in the living room and then another one in the basement do the rules of the game change? the colors of the game pieces?

Thanks for assuming you know what the issue is..... newsflash... you don't.  I have a vanilla setup, it's not just me...it's many, many servers.... did you not see Rene from The Village (arguably, the largest and best known DayZ server out there) has the same issue.

thats a fair point and im not saying i have any idea what the issue is or could be.  im not a programmer.  that being said i am simply pointing out that if the devs and many others are running the exact same files as you without having the issue, that i would assume that whatever the problem is, (again not saying i know what it is) it is probably on your end.

Edited by FunkInYourTrunk
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 3:16 PM, THEGordonFreeman said:

I should point out there are no private exp servers atm.

3 hours ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

GET ON YOUR MEDS!  

You don't attempt to explain why this has suddenly NOW (on private servers) becomes a problem after all these years (on private servers) .  We know that data backup has worked fine for a long time (on private servers), - including vehicles and all kinds of containers, tents, etc in the past  (on private servers) .. So it can hardly be because of the database architecture on private servers -  that this new sudden problem appears (on private servers).

When the BI Devs in their offices are at work and testing Bugs and checking actions and tracing bug reports - where do you think they do it.. ??  Do you REALLY think they hire all their office DayZ instances from an SP ?  Jeeez, man, they VERY often use their TOTALLY PRIVATE DayZ instances on their office servers... (amazing! Right?)   -  And YOU are not invited to log in to a private in house BI instance of DayZ SA.  But,  be very sure they exist and they are in use.

So they ARE testing - themselves, daily a "private shard", they have a FEW right there in front of them. AND they have the Hive right there in front of them... And they are focused on this specific problem of persistence.  Is that hard to understand ?

If YOU have a specific non-generalized object-type or "area based"' intermittent persistence problem on your hired GSP private server instance (and you were asking 1 page ago what kind of DB that used, because you had NO idea)  .. why not CHECK IT OUT and nail down the problem parameters, provide some cast-iron reproducibility, instead of ranting about why you cant play private shard on EXPERIMENTAL so the Devs can debug what YOU dream (off the cuff) in a half-baked way might be the problem on YOUR server, or might be something you've heard about somewhere..

Really dude - START A THREAD 

you'll find the Forum you want listed as Stable Patch Discussion

Edited by pilgrim*
WE are the KRILL, we can communicate with one jellyfish
  • Beans 1

Good to know it’s not just private servers affected but on official stable servers as well.  

Which makes the discussion on EXP even more relevant as this is where it needs to be fixed.  

• Beans 1

....... issues on stable servers...... or private  STABLE servers arent really ever relevant for stress test thread..... this thread is about this current build of experimental so the "what they need to fix from stable" isnt relevant either. and as they havent claimed to have fixed loss of persistance due to improper server restart (crash), the fact that it needs to be fixed in future builds isnt really relevant here either.