ImpulZ

Experimental Update 0.63.149653

3 hours ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

Good to know it’s not just private servers affected but on official stable servers as well.  

Which makes the discussion on EXP even more relevant as this is where it needs to be fixed.  

well, that kind of INDICATES it's not the shard database, then.   .. hmm ??

Say dude - do you, yourself, HIRE a private server where ANY of this has actually happened?  Or are you running 100% on gossip ?

If you have a server, give us the coordinates and we'll come and put it to the test for you.. No need for BI to set one up when you already HAVE one with a PROBLEM you want sorting out. You need to define it so you can make a LUCID reproducible bug report. That would be USEFUL and WE WILL ALL HELP YA.  We have some TOUGH testers on the blog who will definitely HELP you out 100% , for everyone's sake.

So if you've PERSONALLY EVER - even once -  EXPERIENCED this stuff on YOUR server (and you ain't just talking) then give us your server name and IP and we'll all log in and GET the evidence.

OK ? 

Edited by pilgrim*
we are the krill, we are the biomass, the krill are one
  • Beans 1

1 hour ago, pilgrim* said:

well, that kind of INDICATES it's not the shard database, then.   .. hmm ??

I never said it was.  You assumed that.  I don't need help collecting evidence.... it's been done and dusted.

Crashes can reset persistence zones.

What happens is the file gets corrupt on some, not all crashes. Server's watchdog or whatever loads server back up after 10-15 sec cause it sees it's not running anymore. Server tries to 'load mission file'. Gets error on trying to load server persistence file of a specific zone(which in that case is the zone your tent is in). Checks server config to see if the it's set to automatically reset persistence file if it can't load it. It's set to yes by default(and better so cause otherwise the server stops the booting process(it's why some of the official servers back in the day used to randomly disappear after a while if you had massive tent city bases)).

Then you get back on server and you see that everything is gone, in either only your base, but also possibly on other places on the server.

Not sure where the correlation lies between the crashes and which persistence zones get corrupt.

I've also heard from admins/friends that trying to restore from an earlier version(backup) of such a persistence zone file works, but some items are just missing, not only from the zone restored, but also any other zones. Although I don't know for sure if this is correct as I have not been able to test it or seen it in any way.

The devs(eugen) said they implemented a new system that prevents the corruption of persistence files of the most common crashes they had a week or 2 ago, and would also prevent the corruption of persistence files in future crashes, but later it was said(impulz) in a forum thread that this only applies to certain types of crashes, and that there are still chances that persistence gets corrupt in other types of crashes.

So it's within the binarized persistence files which is what I have been saying all along. 

Edited by THEGordonFreeman