Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheWalkingManZ

Best Melee Weapon in DayZ So Far?

27 posts in this topic

Other people mentioned: a can of food, frying pans and fire extinguishers.

What is Your Favorite Melee Weapon and Why?

Edited by TheWalkingManZ
exacomvm gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Meele obviously fists, usually knocks out players in single headshot w/o actually hurting them but is deadly on knocked out players.
- Fun to troll friends ( especially new dayz players ).
- You craft everything with it, eat etc.

Just kidding, Firefighter's Axe is my fav, multipurpose, doesn't take inventory space can be sprayed to fit camo.

TheWalkingManZ gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, exacomvm said:

From Meele obviously fists, usually knocks out players in single headshot w/o actually hurting them but is deadly on knocked out players.
- Fun to troll friends ( especially new dayz players ).
- You craft everything with it, eat etc.

Just kidding, Firefighter's Axe is my fav, multipurpose, doesn't take inventory space can be sprayed to fit camo.

LOL! Oh Yeah, Hands are the Best Melee Weapon, Bro! xD

About the Firefighter Axe it is really good, but it's a little buggy or glitchy for me. Recently I used a Fire Axe against 2 players, who were also using axes and my Axe would stutter, shake and made me stuck in "pull out and put it back" action-animations for a second. But still managed to kill both of them :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fire axe is best but rare & hard to find.  - When you start, pick up the first old pipe-wrench or crowbar or spade you come across. They are the best shock-damage of the stuff you will find lying around. I like a spade (also same hit as the other two), or an entrenching tool ("field spade"), they all have the same hit & speed - also you can put a field spade in a backpack (the telescopic police baton is same again, but you're not likely to find one when you are starting up).  Brass knucks hit fastest if you want to get close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My top 3:

1. Sword, it is very fast, very efficient.
2. Fire fighter axe, kills most infected with two hits plus it has quite a long reach. And it can cut trees.
3. Splitting axe, kills most infected with three hits and it can cut trees.

pilgrim* gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pointy stick.

- beautiful utility for the space it takes up - useable as melee weapon, cooking tool, fishing rod, pumpkin storage, bow, arrows, or firewood

- kills things through windows which a lot of melee weapons don't

- available immediately and everywhere

Edited by Red_Ensign
pilgrim* and TheWalkingManZ gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Machete because you can get it out in a split second without slowing you down like an axe. Sure takes a few more hits to kill an infected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nl said:

Machete because you can get it out in a split second without slowing you down like an axe. Sure takes a few more hits to kill an infected.

A cleaver does the exact same damage same speed & distance as a machete but only takes two slots instead of 3. An ice-axe is better, more damage, longer reach, if you find one (3 slots).. You can also mine stones with an ice axe and dig farming plots.
IMO - Also depends if you like to hack or slice?

Edited by pilgrim*
~
nl gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

A cleaver does the exact same damage same speed & distance as a machete but only takes two slots instead of 3. An ice-axe is better, more damage, longer reach, if you find one (3 slots).. You can also mine stones with an ice axe and dig framing plots.
IMO - Also depends if you like to hack or slice?

I never used an ice axe in that way, will try it. Number of slots don't really matter to me because I carry the machete on my shoulder. Advantage of a machete may be you can still cut sticks with it for fire, splints and so on.

Edited by nl
pilgrim* gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nl said:

I never used an ice axe in that way, will try it. Number of slots don't really matter to me because I carry the machete on my shoulder. Advantage of a machete may be you can still cut sticks with it for fire, splints and so on.

I think the machete hit is under-rated in the game - IRL it is a Mean Bad Weapon

nl and TheWalkingManZ gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

I think the machete hit is under-rated in the game - IRL it is a Mean Bad Weapon

I agree.

pilgrim* gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

I think the machete hit is under-rated in the game - IRL it is a Mean Bad Weapon

Only a 12" machete in this game. Kind of puny, I have kitchen knives larger than that.

pilgrim* and TheWalkingManZ gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, -Gews- said:

Only a 12" machete in this game. Kind of puny, I have kitchen knives larger than that.

OK - it is one of the melee weapons that can be worn it in the shoulder position - so I assumed it was longer. I gave up on them in DayZ as inefficient, I admit I was disappointed by their version.

So it's not the military or "macheteros" guerilla kind of weapon, known from Cuba to Rwanda & Philippines & also by US & Brit military at various times.
The old "standard issue" USA military machete, remaindered in mil. stores & 'claiming' to be USA surplus, is the least useful I've seen, 12" is puny and doesn't deserve the name "machete"

In the Eng speaking Caribbean  the "real" working man's / fighting & uprising / side-arm machetes have a good heft to them, they have a weighted blade 15-18 inches long. In the region they are often called "cutlasses" - They have been used in the past as cavalry weapons (in military actions), for instance, so they have that requirement of reach and weight and cutting power. What you need for rain forest, fighting, & all day work cutting sugar-cane..

I do LIKE a good machete, myself.. I've never seen IRL a "little" one. The blade length should be about from from elbow to knuckle, shouldn't it?
The one's I have come across IRL would be an ideal anti-zombie weapon IMO.
= eg  check Wikipedia "Bolo knife"  & "cutlass" (as well as "machete")

- also a great multi-purpose survival tool.

- thanx G.

 

Edited by pilgrim*
~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now I'm trying the spear and it is pretty good (just for the lulz). I carry an ice-axe for mining stones and digging plots and a hatchet for cutting trees. I think it's the best combo.. I don't know if it's intended but my hatchet lasts much longer cutting trees than a splitting or firefighter axe.

pilgrim* gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

I do LIKE a good machete, myself.. I've never seen IRL a "little" one. The blade length should be about from from elbow to knuckle, shouldn't it?
The one's I have come across IRL would be an ideal anti-zombie weapon IMO.
= eg  check Wikipedia "Bolo knife"  & "cutlass" (as well as "machete")

- also a great multi-purpose survival tool.

- thanx G.

Those small ones are more like a camp knife, not for working in the fields. Not sure why they made the game version this small, there were many people pointing out the small size when the machete was added. I think a machete should be a desirable weapon. It's capable yet relatively light. People shouldn't be cross country running with fire or splitting axes esp. when they're already decked out with multiple guns.

12" vs 18"
zdh6cTD.png

pilgrim* gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sybelpwns said:

Right now I'm trying the spear and it is pretty good (just for the lulz). I carry an ice-axe for mining stones and digging plots and a hatchet for cutting trees. I think it's the best combo.. I don't know if it's intended but my hatchet lasts much longer cutting trees than a splitting or firefighter axe.

I tried the spear a few times, didn't like it. It was too slow for me. Definitely the hatchet is the beast! The hatchet is great for attacking while fire fighter axe is great for defense. Ice-axe is great as well! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -Gews- said:

Those small ones are more like a camp knife, not for working in the fields. Not sure why they made the game version this small, there were many people pointing out the small size when the machete was added. I think a machete should be a desirable weapon. It's capable yet relatively light. People shouldn't be cross country running with fire or splitting axes esp. when they're already decked out with multiple guns.

12" vs 18"
zdh6cTD.png

actually, here in germany, i haven't seen a large one yet (haven't seen many at all tbh).

thing is: weapons with large blades are regulated and require licenses to be carried in public, so they are less useful for campers or hikers. 

(i'm not sure about the situation in the Czech Republic, but it's both EU, so i guess they might have similar regulations, maybe not as strictly enforced)

also i don't know any real application where you would need a large machete for cutting down any plants or so. at least not around here.

so i guess maybe BIS either didn't know the large ones or they didn't see why a large machete would be needed in chernarus and just added the ones that can be used for gardening.

 

best melee weapon: idk

my favorite one: Sword

it will probably change with the new stamina system, but even if swords are heavy, they at least have style :)

pilgrim* gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HaseDesTodes said:

actually, here in germany, i haven't seen a large one yet (haven't seen many at all tbh).

thing is: weapons with large blades are regulated and require licenses to be carried in public, so they are less useful for campers or hikers. 

..//..

Nice Gews photo of a range of machetes!

for what it's worth, @HaseDesTodes - Different EU countries (and other European countries) have very different weapon laws, including their laws on blades:

Max length for a publicly carried fixed blade knife in Germany is 12cm = 4.7"   (less than 5")

Controlled weapons: German law defines a cutting and thrusting weapon as any object intended to reduce or eliminate the ability of a person to attack another person or to defend themselves. This includes swords, sabers, daggers, stilettos, and bayonets. For example, as a sword or bayonet is a military weapon intended to injure or kill people, these are regarded as a weapon in criminal law. In contrast, a machete of any length is regarded as a tool to clear dense vegetation, on private land.

- knuckle dusters (spiked or not) are illegal in every EU country to the best of my knowledge (I'd be amazed if there is an exception)
Carrying a genuine broadsword in public is DEFINITELY - totally - an offense just about everywhere in the world. Certainly in Germany. 

< & as for gun law.. er.. forget it >

*

anyway:

IMO putting a bayonet on a long stick would make a great martial arts weapon.  (?)
OR how about  a simple traditional Quarterstaff?  - Easy to make - A very common everyday  English carry weapon at one time, with a strong & regularly practiced martial arts tradition of its own called "two-hand staff" - IMO very like Japanese "bō"  Bōjutsu  -   (check Wikipedia again, for Quarterstaff)

xxp

 

 

Edited by pilgrim*
~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2017 at 4:11 AM, pilgrim* said:

...IMO putting a bayonet on a long stick would make a great martial arts weapon...

That and also if we could make spears from stone knives and sticks as well and not just from bones

pilgrim* gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2017 at 4:46 AM, pilgrim* said:

 

- also a great multi-purpose survival tool.

 

Not in the terrain/climate Day Z takes place in.

Machetes are made for cutting thin, leafy vegetation, like vines, ferns, other jungle/tropical plants. They suck ass at cutting hard, woody vegetation, like bushes, saplings, etc.

Once you leave the subtropics, the axe and hatchet replace the machete. I, personally, carry a tomahawk and a knife, instead of a machete. The tomahawk is almost infinitely more useful in temperate and colder climates than a machete, and it is also a weapon in and of itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

Not in the terrain/climate Day Z takes place in.

Machetes are made for cutting thin, leafy vegetation, like vines, ferns, other jungle/tropical plants. They suck ass at cutting hard, woody vegetation, like bushes, saplings, etc.

Once you leave the subtropics, the axe and hatchet replace the machete. I, personally, carry a tomahawk and a knife, instead of a machete. The tomahawk is almost infinitely more useful in temperate and colder climates than a machete, and it is also a weapon in and of itself.

I live in the (real) mountains and I can cut down pine trees with my machete if i put my mind to it.. I use it for gardening and clearing bushes (when required)
for clearing heavy secondary undergrowth, cutting branches to clean down a trunk, barking and splitting new wood, building shelters, it is totally ideal.
I have to correct you that jungle and tropical plant's aren't  "thin and leafy"  -  Seems you never got spent time in a jungle?
Also the SAS are keen on machetes as survival tools, so that's really good enough for me, I usually agree with the SAS, as often as poss..

It's a standard tool/weapon that comes under various names around the world. The Vikings used them, the Chinese used them.
In melee I wouldn't consider it as a "light weapon".. as I said earlier, they were synonymous with the cutlass at one time.. and a real cutlass - a naval boarding sword  is an evil mean heavy melee weapon with a good weight of metal in it, when you hit with it, what bones it doesn't cut into it breaks and smashes
.. machete's are still called  "cutlasses" in the Caribbean. Think of it as a cutlass and you will appreciate the melee value.  

I carry a good "hunting knife" too.. you can also skin a machete them and cut meat. The finest, lightest part of the blade close to the handle can be honed razor sharp and used for whittling and fine work etc.. there are many uses.

But each to his own.  An axe is definitely less of a multi purpose tool.. unless you mean a short handled hand-axe, - a 'chopper' - like a heavy or elongated meat cleaver.. but ... whatever.. as you feel..

I have no objection to tomahawks
(or flint axes either, in DayZ)

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pilgrim* said:

I live in the (real) mountains and I can cut down pine trees with my machete if i put my mind to it.. I use it for gardening and clearing bushes (when required)
for clearing heavy secondary undergrowth, cutting branches to clean down a trunk, barking and splitting new wood, building shelters, it is totally ideal.
I have to correct you that jungle and tropical plant's aren't  "thin and leafy"  -  Seems you never got spent time in a jungle?
Also the SAS are keen on machetes as survival tools, so that's really good enough for me, I usually agree with the SAS, as often as poss..

It's a standard tool/weapon that comes under various names around the world. The Vikings used them, the Chinese used them.
In melee I wouldn't consider it as a "light weapon".. as I said earlier, they were synonymous with the cutlass at one time.. and a real cutlass - a naval boarding sword  is an evil mean heavy melee weapon with a good weight of metal in it, when you hit with it, what bones it doesn't cut into it breaks and smashes
.. machete's are still called  "cutlasses" in the Caribbean. Think of it as a cutlass and you will appreciate the melee value.  

I carry a good "hunting knife" too.. you can also skin a machete them and cut meat. The finest, lightest part of the blade close to the handle can be honed razor sharp and used for whittling and fine work etc.. there are many uses.

But each to his own.  An axe is definitely less of a multi purpose tool.. unless you mean a short handled hand-axe, - a 'chopper' - like a heavy or elongated meat cleaver.. but ... whatever.. as you feel..

I have no objection to tomahawks
(or flint axes either, in DayZ)

xxP

 

Can you cut down a tree with a machete? Hell, can you cut down a tree with a folding jackknife? Sure. Are there tools that are more suited to the task, meaning they take less time and effort to do the same task? Yes.

The Norse didn't use machetes. They used a heavy knife called a seax, which, while it might kinda-sorta look like a  machete, in the sense that it is a long knife...... they are not the same. Same thing with the Chinese dao.

Just because a culture had a long knife as a multi-purpose tool and weapon, doesn't mean they are the same thing as a modern machete.

Also, Im going to assume you are reading the SAS Survival Guide..... you do realize the author of that book was based in Southeast Asia, right? AKA the terrain and plant-life that machetes are designed for? In fact, the author specifically mentions that axes are more useful in temperate and colder environments.

Modern machetes are not cutlasses. Cutlasses are swords designed for combat, with short, broad and thick blades. Machetes are long, thin-bladed knives designed for utility work, that make for handy weapons in a pinch. The Carribbean 'cutlass' got the name because cutlasses made for decent utility tools as well as weapons, but the two are not the same. Language drift and word-loaning are a thing.

1 hour ago, pilgrim* said:

An axe is definitely less of a multi purpose tool

..... You have no idea what you are talking about, do you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Whyherro123 said:

..... You have no idea what you are talking about, do you? 

dont get stroppy, lad..  be careful waving your tomahawk close to your brain. You are being unpleasant and it is unnecessary.

"Just because a culture had a long knife as a multi-purpose tool and weapon, doesn't mean they are the same thing as a modern machete." = You mean that what YOU decide to call a "machete" is a "machete" and what the guy with the Machete calls it doesn't matter to you, a damn... so how can you be wrong? Please don't start telling me about the different names for very similar devices created with the SAME purpose, used world wide, or else I'll start telling you all the different names for WHEELS since the dawn of time, as if that proves they are ALL not the same thing.
I'm talking about Use and Survival and Melee, not about cultural historical museum artifacts..

TODAY << In the English-speaking Caribbean, for instance in Jamaica, Barbados, Guyana, and Grenada and in Trinidad and Tobago, the term cutlass is used for these agricultural tools.>>   Didn't I EXPLAIN that. ? Damn; wasting my time; right?

 

Go LOOK at the Beagnoth Seax and tell me it is NOT a machete.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seax_of_Beagnoth   - made for display and too fancy for daily use, and specialised for war, but still a single-edged heavy-backed curved  one-handed cutting-tool with the blade weight deliberately well forward (hence the broken back, still a common distinctive feature, serving the same mechanical purpose. Give it what name you like - For instance, you know "tomahawk" is  Powhatan for "cutting tool" ie it means LITERALLY a "single-handed AXE" ... tomahawk is a non-translation of the English "HAND AXE" ; so just mentally translate into "USE"  and don't get too hot about words, think about USE.
A one handed axe from DayZ (find them in sheds) is a tomahawk.. here it takes our standard English word for the factory made object. I could go on in detail  but I'll bore you.
USE is what counts.

duh ..

"machete" is a NAME for a long heavy single bladed knife-like instrument 12-18-24+ inches long, with the point of balance forward such as a SEAX or a DAO or a CUTLASS... what YOU call a machete, the people who USE them every day in the kitchen and at Work and in War call a CUTLASS... that is the bloody name they give it... not my idea ok?  

eg, A long-shafted two-handed short-bladed axe - or "WEDGE" - as they are called in various places on the planet by people who really use them, was devised specifically for LUMBER..  (Lumber is only a word in n America; it's real NAME is "timber".. are you following this at all?)
ie. a "woodcutters axe" is not for survival or field work or kitchen work or gutting game or fighting or building temporary shelter or digging furrows or working crops

So lets drop the "you have no idea" cr@p and you be nice now & end your unnecessary trash. I was aiming to be polite and informative. Guess i missed the headshot. My aim is to be helpful, not to be dissed by an ill informed and thoughtless ga-ga pseudo-pedant. Go cut down a good growth of bamboo with your tomahawk. Try it. I REALLY have a heavy bladed machete - I call it "a machete" - and I can in fact cut down a medium size pine with it. If I need to, if I came out of the holocaust without my chainsaw.  I can build a damn canoe too - but I rarely have any reason to do either  - because what the F would I want to do that for?  I'm really not a homesteader.  You carry a two-handed saw in your kit, or is it all "tomahawk"?

Yes a Parang is a Machete.  No a modern Western kitchen knife is not a machete.

... any other dumb questions?
Before you ask, the US Army is NOT great at making machetes or entrenching tools, and the Brit Army has never been good at wooden camel saddles .. but who give a screw about that?  it doesn't mean these things don't exist. Some folk - worldwide and through history -  know how they work and what they are used for.

 

thanx

Edited by pilgrim*
jeez wept

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Play nice or Ill get my spoon out. Behave!

IMT gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, OrLoK said:

Play nice or Ill get my spoon out. Behave!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0