Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Stable Branch 0.61.136821

On 28-12-2016 at 10:33 AM, WalrusInAnus said:

I started playing again after a very long time. I actually bought the game in summer 2014 because I felt like supporting the devs with a purchase without really intending to play (too alpha). In all that time, I played for a grand total of maybe 10-20 hours. Basically, I still don't know crap about the game, and that's fine. I'm actually quite happy I will be able to fully enjoy more finished product when the time comes.

My experience with 0.61? It's pretty ok, at least comparing it to older versions. The new renderer really helped a ton (yes I know it was not added in this particular update). Performance is still horrible, but at least it's playable. The game looks surprisingly good for running/being built on horrible old broken engine.
I also haven't run into any obvious bugs (probably thanks to still struggling with the basic elements of the game and not trying anything funky).
Generally the experience is significantly more enjoyable than last time I tried (might be a year ago).

I'm pretty disappointed how crappy combat still is though. To be specific, melee. Zombies hit me every time and at around 3 times the speed I am able to swing anything, jump around me, through me (unsure), and I can't hit them. Basically, for one hit I manage to score, a zombie gets about 4 in. It feels clumsy, bugged and extremely annoying/frustrating. Hit detection still feels borderline nonexistant. No matter how long weapon I use, I can't seem to hit those damn things 70% of the time while they chop me to pieces at ridiculous speed with 100% accuracy. Not impressed with that after such a long time of development honestly.

Controls are still horrible, and the associated settings are not helping one bit. I do have some previous experience with the game and still get lost in all that garbage from what I presume is Arma 2(?) leftovers. Surely you could at least remove those invalid entries from the options in all those years? Imagine what this does to a new player who wants to change something.
Jumping still pretty much doesn't work. Only being able to jump while running is stupid, and even when running, you basically get initially stuck and then teleported through/over obstacles, half of which you can't jump over anyway despite not being even as tall as a regular short fence.
Having to press stand up from prone or crouch instead of these actions being on toggle gets annoying pretty quickly.

I'm going to keep playing for a while this time because the game is not _that_ bad, but I think I will go into lurk mode soonish again, and see what the next update (I guess another half a year or so?) brings.

That's it for a returning player mini review.
Flame away. I'm sure I'll get shitposted to hell and back for being a whiny nub who doesn't know how to play.

I'm not going to flame you because you took your time to write your feedback and actually give arguments why you dislike certain things. Still, some things will be addressed in the future (like the behavior of infected vs. players for example) because certain things are still in development and fixing it with the old code would be a waste of time.

I would wait a couple of patches and then check again if you don't like the game in it's current state.

On 28-12-2016 at 4:19 PM, Red_Ensign said:

hypothermia is getting old fast.  if it starts to rain when you're nowhere near a building and you weren't lucky enough to find a raincoat when you first spawned, you're just dead.  period.  almost as quick as bleeding out.  yeah, and fireplaces are broken, which really fucking helps.

last night I got caught in the rain in the woods, and not wanting to 'combat-log' to save my life, I got soaked and died.  but I got to a barrel and saved my stuff with seconds to spare.  then died 3 more fucking times trying to get back to that barrel before someone else found it.  I finally did have to resort to hopping servers to find one with sunny weather.

:-/

and the black head thing is pretty annoying too.

why did this get pushed to stable if it's still in experimental?  it's obviously not 'done' enough to be there.

How about hugging a tree as soon as it starts raining? Don't tell me you were in an area which had no tree's because the only place without tree's which I know of is debug. All the rest in Chernarus will have at least 1 tree where you can hide under. Also if you keep sprinting you will keep warm. But searching for shelter the second it starts raining is your best option. Though I have to admit it can be boring if the rain lasts for a while.

1 hour ago, IMT said:

How about hugging a tree as soon as it starts raining? Don't tell me you were in an area which had no tree's because the only place without tree's which I know of is debug. All the rest in Chernarus will have at least 1 tree where you can hide under. Also if you keep sprinting you will keep warm. But searching for shelter the second it starts raining is your best option. Though I have to admit it can be boring if the rain lasts for a while.

if you don't have a rain coat yet, you've probably just spawned.  which means you're gonna start to starve while you hug the stupid tree.  well, unless it happens to be an apple tree.  good luck finding one in the fog while you get rained on.

2 hours ago, Red_Ensign said:

if you don't have a rain coat yet, you've probably just spawned.  which means you're gonna start to starve while you hug the stupid tree.  well, unless it happens to be an apple tree.  good luck finding one in the fog while you get rained on.

How about thinking out of the box for once? Keep looting until you have seeds and something to dig a plot with and make a fire under a tree while your food grows. I have survived it multiple times when I spawned in and it was raining. You just need to adept yourself to the situation and be creative. Sitting down arms crossed whining "I'm gonna die" is not gonna work!

Just wanted to share a fun story with you guys! So I was playing on Aftermath DayZ RP server where my friend and I were up by the Northwest Airfield searching for a mag for his FAL. In the process we found another player there who instantly put his arms up at the sight of us running in his direction who we then ran to and had a friendly chat. After speaking for a moment and holstering my gun, while my friend kept his out, we defused that situation and put him at ease. As we walked out into the dirt path shots rang out towards us and he said it was his friends who were nearby - So here we were in a potential lethal encounter with an unknown amount of enemies and a person with us who was their friend. We decided very easily and calmly to just have him go to his friends and tell them it's all cool, that we're not here to attack them. As risky a move as that was, it actually turned into a fun gathering of six players who then traveled about a bit and cleared an Infected area. 

https://s30.postimg.org/nuiei0y7l/20170102160940_1.jpg

Also, the beauty of DayZ. . It's easy to get lost in it's spectacle. 

https://s30.postimg.org/kmdx4zbxt/20161226030317_1.jpg

https://s30.postimg.org/mcwy6gtgx/20161220191259_1.jpg

Edited by Espa
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, IMT said:

How about thinking out of the box for once? Keep looting until you have seeds and something to dig a plot with and make a fire under a tree while your food grows. I have survived it multiple times when I spawned in and it was raining. You just need to adept yourself to the situation and be creative. Sitting down arms crossed whining "I'm gonna die" is not gonna work!

in the fog (remember the fog?) it take 10 minutes sometimes to figure out which way the coast or inland is (not always a case of going uphill or downhill), let alone finding a road or buildings to find seeds.  guess I just had shittier luck with spawns than you, you pro you.

11 hours ago, Red_Ensign said:

in the fog (remember the fog?) it take 10 minutes sometimes to figure out which way the coast or inland is (not always a case of going uphill or downhill), let alone finding a road or buildings to find seeds.  guess I just had shittier luck with spawns than you, you pro you.

Where the hell are you spawning then? In the middle of debug? It takes you 10 minutes to figure out where you spawned? This is a typical case of "git gud". Even if I don't spawn near a town, only by looking which trees, the lay-out of the trees, etc. I can already clearly tell which part of the coast I'm at.

There are so many things to tell where you spawned in or where you need to go. If you spawned somewhere in the middle of the forest or a field, pick a direction and don't change direction. Sooner or later you will hit some buildings or have a clue where you're at.

It's not about "being a pro", it's just something you will learn over time when playing DayZ, if you pay attention that is.

• Like 3

It is important to know the coast. There are a lot of mistakes that make them never go to the coast, if they are a bit of an equipt, just to explore the coast and then know them.

On 12/28/2016 at 3:45 PM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Good attitude, really.

The new renderer is in but still running alongside a lot of legacy modules and not fully optimized.

Currently the infected are using the updated physics while the character is using placeholder physics, this fact along with the fact that the player controller is being updated should change everything about your observations regarding combat/melee.

The entire player controller is being replaced and very indepth animations for layers of character feedback are being added. Injured animations, leaning for aiming, aiming out of cars, fatigue, sickness, and much more will be a visible and (hopefully) authentic representation of a characters health/status.

Man, I really hope it's never as long as that last gap between patches again!

I hope this helps you to understand the changes coming that will address some of your concerns.

Another fine and informative post from BioHaze. As you know the more Zeds there are to kill the better I like it. Getting chased by ten Zeds that you can't easily shake off and must kill is a good thing. I do however find it strange that Zeds can vault over tall fences and walls but can't hop over low stock and picket fences I use that exploit to shake them off or get some distance and pop them off with my trusty SKS. Happy Hunting 

• Like 1

On 02/01/2017 at 7:31 PM, Red_Ensign said:

Funny because rain usually cleans out the fog. 

Ok its nice to see zed aggro range is bigger, down side which they should have thought of is their super speed they go at to get to you. If no one has noticed, but when they see you and you turn to run they catch up with you super quick then maintain a distance away from you as you run.  Not sure why the devs did that?  Also they have super vision as one saw me in an upstairs room of a house from 30 ft away. I know as a player I would have a hard time seeing another player at that sort of distance in a house. Zeds are going in the right direction, just need a bit of tweaking.

Zombies seem extra alert and can even spot you if you're within 15 yards or so crouched at night. 

If anyone wants to play on a 1PP Hardcore RP Server, come to http://aftermathdayzrp.com/portal.php

We need more bandits and villains :D

• Like 1

cannot put fireplace in furnace,so those are broken still.

9 hours ago, General Zod said:

Funny because rain usually cleans out the fog. 

really?  that hasn't been my experience.  mind you, the few times I've spawned have been mostly at night.  so it's probably one kind of horrible visibility just replacing another.

I did get a 'good' spawn today - daytime and very little fog.  found my bearings right away.  but yeah past ones it was just trees for miles and 20' visibility.

6 hours ago, Fing said:

Ok its nice to see zed aggro range is bigger, down side which they should have thought of is their super speed they go at to get to you. If no one has noticed, but when they see you and you turn to run they catch up with you super quick then maintain a distance away from you as you run.  Not sure why the devs did that?  Also they have super vision as one saw me in an upstairs room of a house from 30 ft away. I know as a player I would have a hard time seeing another player at that sort of distance in a house. Zeds are going in the right direction, just need a bit of tweaking.

yeah I did notice they seem to aggro from further away today...

9 minutes ago, Red_Ensign said:

really?  that hasn't been my experience.  mind you, the few times I've spawned have been mostly at night.  so it's probably one kind of horrible visibility just replacing another.

I did get a 'good' spawn today - daytime and very little fog.  found my bearings right away.  but yeah past ones it was just trees for miles and 20' visibility.

I mean in real world. 

had my first wolf encounter just now, by the well in novo.  I must've been extremely lucky because they just ran around me for a while like dogs wanting to play.  I just went into a house (didn't even have to run) and closed the doors, and shot 3 of them out of the window.  they went about a block away each time I killed one, so I casually went out and skinned each one.  then they came back and I'd kill another.  after the third they stopped coming back, although I could still see them a block away.  must've killed the alpha.  I came out cautiously at first, and then once it was clear they were done with me I went and got myself hydrated at the well, and then moved on.

question: you can't tan wolf pelts, right?  I think I read that here somewhere.  didn't have pack space for the pelts anyway after all the wolf steaks, but just wondering.

37 minutes ago, Red_Ensign said:

had my first wolf encounter just now, by the well in novo.  I must've been extremely lucky because they just ran around me for a while like dogs wanting to play.  I just went into a house (didn't even have to run) and closed the doors, and shot 3 of them out of the window.  they went about a block away each time I killed one, so I casually went out and skinned each one.  then they came back and I'd kill another.  after the third they stopped coming back, although I could still see them a block away.  must've killed the alpha.  I came out cautiously at first, and then once it was clear they were done with me I went and got myself hydrated at the well, and then moved on.

question: you can't tan wolf pelts, right?  I think I read that here somewhere.  didn't have pack space for the pelts anyway after all the wolf steaks, but just wondering.

That is very odd, I haven't seen them behave like this unless they are in a building. Maybe they behave like that in towns in general because when I hear wolves I get the fuck in an house asap! They might have been fighting infected though. But it's also weird they went a block away and come back then. Normally they run around the house your in until you killed enough wolves to make them flee and then they just run off out of town. And no, wolf pelts can not be tanned in the current build/patch.

EDIT: I just read the post right above. I am ashamed of my own stupidity and let this post be the silent witness of it.

Just dropping in to ask

a) how fricking awesome is the bow gameplay? I feel like a badass cleaning whole towns of zombies and we just managed to scare off a double wolf pack (two grey wolves) with only one bow and a hyperventilating partner

b) kind of a followup-question: are wolf pelts still "useless" (i.e. cannot be tanned)? :)

1 stone & 1 rope. better than christmas.

Edited by themightylc

28 minutes ago, IMT said:

That is very odd, I haven't seen them behave like this unless they are in a building. Maybe they behave like that in towns in general because when I hear wolves I get the fuck in an house asap! They might have been fighting infected though. But it's also weird they went a block away and come back then. Normally they run around the house your in until you killed enough wolves to make them flee and then they just run off out of town. And no, wolf pelts can not be tanned in the current build/patch.

I did see them fight a zombie once when one came after the first wolf kill, but most of the times they went away I could see them just chasing their own tails under a tree.  like I said, they acted like playful dogs.  it was just weird.

3 hours ago, IMT said:

Remember, poor server performance nerfs the AI something fierce.  And server performance on a lot of the busier Stable servers right now is...not so great.

Well we go from one extreme to another with zeds. At the start of .61 they where easy now they are super zeds. They see through objects, hear a nat fart at 1000ft, run faster than Usain Bolt and hit like Mike Tyson. Ok a bit over exaggerated but you get the Idea. I shot one with the amphibia to get 3 more come in from some distance away.  Before I could use the amphibia and it would not attract that sort of attention. Also you cant avoid them or run away from them now and they fuck your kit up quickly.  Not quit sure what the devs were thinking with this zed update?  They seam more suited for exp than stable as I'm sure it will take them some time to re balance them.  I like the wolves more. They can really fuck you up or kill you if your caught out in the open, but I find you have a better chance with them and they are less frustrating. Oh well time to move on.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2016 at 5:41 PM, McWendy said:

Ehm...... a bomber jacket isnt waterproof so yeah you should be soaked quick.

Firefighter jackets (worn minimum ), hiking jackets, hunting jackets  (worn minimum ) gorka jackets  (not damaged) Raincoats are all waterproof. Rest varies. 

And yes you can make fires in a lot of barns and/or garages. Go check out the server weather warning thread for photos. 

Dont complain because you have to work for something. Cookie cutter crap...

A bomber jacket should provide some kind of protection against rain imo, also you would wear something beneath the bomber jacket, Dayz doesn't allow wearing clothes beneath other clothes but I didn't see anybody wearing just a bomber jacket and anything under it irl. Right now if you are wearing waterproof clothes is ok but if not is like if you were naked. I dunno I don't see the fun in needing to make a campfire each 10 mins of gameplay in raining days, if you are wearing starting clothes that's ok but better clothes should give you more protection against the rain imo.

In some garages/barns you can make fires in others you can't. I think you should be able to make fires anywhere like before, if the place burns who cares? 

P.D You don't need to be an asshole when someone has a different opinion than yours.

• Like 1