jazzraill

dayz standalone single player mode

ive been dreaming about this for a long time. i played many post apocalyptic survival style games like fallout series, stalker series and so on. but dayz has something diffrent about it. maybe its about its really big map, realistic scenes, whatever it is, it really gives me the feel that i am alone and need to survive. when i play dayz i usually go empty servers to roleplay myself. sometimes i dont even care where i go. just looting and killing zombies while getting geared up is ok for me. but when i join a server with 50 players, all that magic is gone because of knowing that if i go to cherno ill be shot from back by someone who wont even bother to take my gear.

i know that the thing about dayz is feeling you could be shot from back anytime. but when it becomes a pvp it takes away all that roleplaying. its the same things as trying to roleplay when playing counter strike. its obviously stupid because its a pvp environment. i set all the graphics settings to lowest possible to get more fps then game looks like crap. sometimes i dont even bother picking up that crunchin crips cereal or box of nails, instead, i rush big cities, find a gun and some ammo and try to kill first person i see. i do it because it is what it is.

last time i played alone i enjoyed many survival aspects of the game that i wasnt aware of when pvping, like cooking, crafting, or hunting. i think those are well thougt mechanics but its all ignored when you go pvp and rush weapons to just kill someone.

the reason why i want a single player version is that players can still roleplay, while performing their heroics on other survivor ais. i think it is not a hard thing to achieve considering modding community that bi has. you can just host your own server with 50 ai in it while all of them scripted to survive, just like you. there are rumors that there will be, but no idea when, or how.

http://www.pcgamer.com/dayz-single-player-mode-and-server-hosting-planned/

cheers, jazzraill 

• Like 1

It will likely be the same time they allow modding.

It's the way modders will be able to test what they have created works. 

• Like 1

Just now, stinkenheim said:

allow modding.

that's the only thing that hypes me now 

I don't think they'll be adding a proper single player mode, but they will be adding a sort of single player so mod developers can test their mods. I don't doubt that someone, somewhere, will develop a proper single player mod of some sort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jazzraill said:

ive been dreaming about this for a long time. i played many post apocalyptic survival style games like fallout series, stalker series and so on. but dayz has something diffrent about it. maybe its about its really big map, realistic scenes, whatever it is, it really gives me the feel that i am alone and need to survive. when i play dayz i usually go empty servers to roleplay myself. sometimes i dont even care where i go. just looting and killing zombies while getting geared up is ok for me. but when i join a server with 50 players, all that magic is gone because of knowing that if i go to cherno ill be shot from back by someone who wont even bother to take my gear.

i know that the thing about dayz is feeling you could be shot from back anytime. but when it becomes a pvp it takes away all that roleplaying. its the same things as trying to roleplay when playing counter strike. its obviously stupid because its a pvp environment. i set all the graphics settings to lowest possible to get more fps then game looks like crap. sometimes i dont even bother picking up that crunchin crips cereal or box of nails, instead, i rush big cities, find a gun and some ammo and try to kill first person i see. i do it because it is what it is.

last time i played alone i enjoyed many survival aspects of the game that i wasnt aware of when pvping, like cooking, crafting, or hunting. i think those are well thougt mechanics but its all ignored when you go pvp and rush weapons to just kill someone.

the reason why i want a single player version is that players can still roleplay, while performing their heroics on other survivor ais. i think it is not a hard thing to achieve considering modding community that bi has. you can just host your own server with 50 ai in it while all of them scripted to survive, just like you. there are rumors that there will be, but no idea when, or how.

cheers, jazzraill 

Of course there are communities that like the same thing as you, PVE servers, some of them shielded by password or white listing to have some control of their players. But yeah, I i would myself like to see a full SP version of this game, just for the survival aspect and then the possibility of interacting with other players when choosing online game play, be it PVP or PVE.

• Like 1

I feel like all they have to do is ramp up the survival aspects and difficulty to survive. More zombies, harder & faster zombies, LESS LESS food and water, etc...  Make it to where you actually have to fight to survive and you have to work to stay alive. When it is harder to survive, people will be more focused on that instead of pvp so much. Its way too easy to fill your backpack up with food and water, and then all your survival aspects are gone at that point and all you have is a game where you avoid zombies and just shoot other players.

• Like 1

They have essentially confirmed an offline mode (aka single player) for DayZ SA.

I wouldn't count on it coming with modding as an offline mode is not important (development wise) until the game goes gold. 

They have confirmed modding. With this comes 2 important things: The official SA servers, and a whole slew of modded servers running different versions of the game. 

Any discussion about pve, pvp, what is best, etc.. is useless. Once modding hits, players will get to choose what they prefer. 

• Like 2

Like Irish said, there's already confirmation of an offline/single player mode eventually.

I've seen many say that there won't be any single player for DayZ, as there wasn't any and there's no demand for it. All of this is false, as in the beginning, the DayZ mod was made for ArmA2, and within a few months of it's release, varieties of the mod started to appear. With this came a slew of single payer mods for most of the custom maps and different Chernarus. 

I played a lot of Namalsk single player and DayZ 2018 (DaiZy 2018) and it was great. After a while of playing both single player and multiplayer versions of the game, I didn't see much difference between AI and KoS players. A bunch of pixels that try to kill you, controlled by a human or not, is still a bunch of pixels.

Quite frankly I really enjoy both single player and multiplayer DayZ, and look forward to a DayZ stand alone single player experience. Hoping we'll get something that doesn't require internet connection while playing, as it's the only way to have DayZ "forever". I still play games like System Shock 2, Heroes of might and magic 3, or Fallout 2, but right now, if servers go down for most games, even the likes of single player games like Fallout 4, etc., there will be no way to continue playing these games and the main files required to play are no longer on disks, and needs to be downloaded for servers.

Personally, I like immortal games. Games that die are a recent thing, and are terrible.

• Like 2

Single Player mode is a great idea. I play 7D2D in single player all the time. This would increase my playing fold 12xs as long as the AI isn't dumbed down.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, odin_lowe said:

I didn't see much difference between AI and KoS players.

that's true. maybe little diffrence is that players sometimes retreat when they have disadvantage while ai just fights to death. i played daizy 2018 for arma 2 too and i can say that i had some great time trying to survive there. be it survival mechanics or ai bots trying to kill you, i was just enjoying because i had the control of the gameplay. 

7 minutes ago, Deathlove said:

as long as the AI isn't dumbed down.

the ai in arma 3 is more advanced than some of the dayz players i came across. thus dayz being a survival game, i think ai can be scripted to survive too, giving players some forgiving action while they either roleplay or train for pvp matches. 

• Like 2

Still nothing new on this topic?

I am checking the dev news frequently (and really like/ enjoy the info presented) - but I am also really disappointed, that there is no announcement according to this topic. I did not buy DayZ SA, because these two features (SinglePlayer and provision to run the own private server) is not covered yet. ATM I am still with old ARMA2 mods (every now and then) - which does not really compare to the new development done on DayZ SA...

I really hope that there are private servers asap. Playing solo on it or having control who is taking part with a session would really really make DayZ SA attractive to a lot of people. Also, it does not mean that there is absolutely no PvP on a private server, right? You still could invite players or teams you know and have a good time without the "funny" KOS playing style.

I fully agree to the starting post...

On 23.4.2016 at 4:30 PM, jazzraill said:

cheers, jazzraill 

I don't see how there could be a single player mode when the game is server dependent.  I guess you could rent your own and put the bare minimum number of players allowed and password it but do you really want to pay monthly for a single player game?

1 hour ago, Guy Smiley said:

I don't see how there could be a single player mode when the game is server dependent.  I guess you could rent your own and put the bare minimum number of players allowed and password it but do you really want to pay monthly for a single player game?

I believe the way it will work is when you launch single player mode, a custom (perhaps virtualized?) instance of the DayZ server code runs locally on your machine, and your client connects to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanguine00 said:

I believe the way it will work is when you launch single player mode, a custom (perhaps virtualized?) instance of the DayZ server code runs locally on your machine, and your client connects to it.

I suppose it could work that way.  Honestly tho, why would you want to play DayZ by yourself anyway?  That gets rid of about 75% of the challenge, yes I think players are the biggest threat in this game.

2 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

I suppose it could work that way.  Honestly tho, why would you want to play DayZ by yourself anyway?  That gets rid of about 75% of the challenge, yes I think players are the biggest threat in this game.

It's mainly intended to help modders test their creations.  Personally I would probably only use it rarely for testing weapons, mechanics, etc.  But yeah I would never play it to get a "DayZ experience", even if I was only intending to PvE, I would go on a server.

14 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

[...]  Honestly tho, why would you want to play DayZ by yourself anyway?  That gets rid of about 75% of the challenge, yes I think players are the biggest threat in this game.

Other people have different opinions. Why do you think that your way to play DayZ is the only one that makes sense?

Give more oportunities and you will max out the number of active players (and paying customers). Having the option to run the own server would definitely be interesting for a considerable amount of people. For a bunch of lets say 6 or 10 people I am quite sure you can run this with any 16mBit internet connection (no need for dedicated server hardware and/ or costs for a provider). But still: Even if someone would pay for this monthly - why not? I have seen people spending money on much more stupid things than this...

4 hours ago, Looter (DayZ) said:

Other people have different opinions. Why do you think that your way to play DayZ is the only one that makes sense?

Give more oportunities and you will max out the number of active players (and paying customers). Having the option to run the own server would definitely be interesting for a considerable amount of people. For a bunch of lets say 6 or 10 people I am quite sure you can run this with any 16mBit internet connection (no need for dedicated server hardware and/ or costs for a provider). But still: Even if someone would pay for this monthly - why not? I have seen people spending money on much more stupid things than this...

Where did I say my way is the only way to play DayZ?  Please don't put words in my mouth that I never said.

There's no point in releasing the single player version, along with server files, until the game is feature-complete.

Would you make prints of a painting before it was finished drying, or copies of a movie before it was finished filming?

14 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Where did I say my way is the only way to play DayZ?  Please don't put words in my mouth that I never said.

No offence... but read my quote of your post - this is where you state that it does not really make sense. Why would I respond to that if you did not write that in the first place?

12 hours ago, emuthreat said:

There's no point in releasing the single player version, along with server files, until the game is feature-complete.

Would you make prints of a painting before it was finished drying, or copies of a movie before it was finished filming?

So why is there early access at all? The reason is that the developers get payed and the customers can play and are also testing the software (looks like win-win, right?). According to your argument there should not be early access at all.

But there is early access - or going with your comparison... people are already paying to watch your film, which is not completed. SinglePlayer mode or private servers are just a function of the game, which shall be provided. Definitely it also makes sense to test, as much sense as testing every other function of the game. 

But on the other hand I think I agree with you - I believe at this point of time it does (most likely) not make sense to offer these functions already to the players. Most likely this would lead to a list of new bugs, which would bind programmer- resources.

Still I wonder why there is absolutely nothing to read in the dev news. At least there could/should be an announcement when work will be started on this topic.

36 minutes ago, Looter (DayZ) said:

Still I wonder why there is absolutely nothing to read in the dev news. At least there could/should be an announcement when work will be started on this topic.

SP mode is going to be a necessity for modding and a must for people with unreliable internet so it's obviously coming down the pipe at some point.  With all of the big changes being made right now (translation: it's alpher) I can't imagine that the devs would divert any resources away from anything that's nonessential.  After all of the core components are in the game and somewhat stabilized they'll move from Alpha to Beta and I suspect we'll start hearing a lot about SP and mod tools.