Sign in to follow this  
Buakaw

"Dayz needs to be scarier"

This was a topic on reddit a week ago or so..

I say the first step would be removing any kind of player safety by making 1st person mandatory and 3rd person optional by making it the main mode, not the other way around like it is now.

With the introduction of the new player controller I feel this is a mandatory step into making DayZ a better final game. 3PP is both toxic to atmosphere as well as gameplay.

• Like 1

Oh lord, this again. The whole 1PP/3PP debate has been going on since the dawn of DayZ, and it isn't changing, for better or for worse. Arguments for keeping it how it is are...

-You don't have to play in 3PP if you don't want

-We want to see our characters (And the inventory screen doesn't do it justice)

-Play on 1PP only servers if you're worried about wall/corner peeking

-This has been proposed and shut down numerous times, what makes this time any different.

Now don't get me wrong, I couldn't give a damn however this goes. In my experience, I prefer to play 1PP, however my friends don't, so we usually play on 1PP/3PP servers, and why the hell should we take that away from them? No point in fixing something that aint broken.

Oh and would you mind telling me how it's "toxic to the atmosphere?"

Edited by Zyriun
  • Like 2

Atmosphere is part of the gameplay, the fear of death is reduced by the additional security gained from the perspective advantage. The height lift of the perspective, albeit small, removes a lot of otherwise prevalent uncertainty.

Don't mean to start a discussion, for me and many others it is pretty clear which one is superior from a gameplay perspective (hehe) and I feel many people that disagree either haven't tried or wrapped their heads around it or just dislike it due to the uninfished player controller, so that's that. Others prefer the overview and the gameplay revolving around camping corners/walls/bushes and whatnot, some are roleplayers that do not care about the gameplay consequences implied by perspective - but even Brian Hicks mentioned he had thoughts of introducing 1PP on EXP for starters.

Also as the game claims to be hardcore survival, it's even more of a logical next step. Again I am sorry if this might stir up any kind of 1pp vs 3pp war, but I guess the thread will be locked before that would happen anyway.

Edited by Buakaw

I personally like to see my character, and agreeing with Zyriun, The inventory view does no justice. I want to see my character walking or running with his/her gear on. It adds to the immersion IMO. Albeit 3PP does have some unfair advantages, it shouldn't be removed. They did a fine job implementing 1PP/3PP servers. Let it rest.

I never said remove tho. It's not gonna happen. But I do think it's in the responsibility of the developers to bring 1PP closer to the community. Seeing yourself run? I don't think that's too important, much less worth sacrificing the immensely improved gameplay for.  But again, up to the developers to do any steps in this regard.

9 minutes ago, Buakaw said:

? Lol? How can someone posting like this have over 2000 posts and not be banned.

Why you bring this discussion up again?

There are dozens of threads for this already, most of them closed for a reason.

Anyway, the devs already talked about making 1pp the first experience for new players, once the new server browser is implemented. So this discussion is  unnecessary.

Edited by .freaK

8 hours ago, Buakaw said:

I say the first step would be removing any kind of player safety by making 1st person mandatory and 3rd person optional by making it the main mode, not the other way around like it is now.

Nope, that's a think mostly relevant to PvP. what most people long for is a fight for survival apart from PvP, i.e. a challenge besides other players. 1st person doesnt cut it there, it's not a first step, but a PvP enhancement. I have no problem with making it even 1st person only, but it's not an answer to making the game scarier or more threatening.

making this game more challenging and scary.. will happen when predators come to the server *wolves/bears you name it* more zombies.. but that will prob. not happen until patch 2.3.4.1 so... goodluck waiting on this one :P 

no really.. this will come in due time.. but right now.. the devs are to busy adding guns and trying to figure out what they can do to actually boost performance in general.. so don't expect game engine eating things like 100 wolves on the server devided in 20 packs.. roaming the woods.. or 300 zombies roaming NWA and balota 

3 hours ago, Tigermonk said:

making this game more challenging and scary.. will happen when predators come to the server *wolves/bears you name it* more zombies.. but that will prob. not happen until patch 2.3.4.1 so... goodluck waiting on this one :P 

no really.. this will come in due time.. but right now.. the devs are to busy adding guns and trying to figure out what they can do to actually boost performance in general.. so don't expect game engine eating things like 100 wolves on the server devided in 20 packs.. roaming the woods.. or 300 zombies roaming NWA and balota 

Came in thinking we could talk about things like how dark it should be at nighttime and such, but sadly you are just another one of those guys wanting 1st person only. JUST PLAY ON 1ST PERSON SERVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by thedoctorlome1
  • Like 1

Again I just wanted to say my opinion, great of all of you to act so childish and immature and great that all of you love the immersion killing perspective abuse fest that is 3PP so much, but it doesn't help the game.

5 hours ago, Rauchsauger said:

Your thread does nothing but bringing up the same old 1pp vs 3pp discussion - in a very stupid way.

So I agree with pilgrim

I am sorry but you guys are treating this like vietnam and then guy insults (which is breaking rules) and you approve.. get a life ty. I haven't ever had this "discussion" and I don't plan to keep it up. The only thing stupid is your utterly useless and inflammatory post.

4 hours ago, Noctoras said:

Nope, that's a think mostly relevant to PvP. what most people long for is a fight for survival apart from PvP, i.e. a challenge besides other players. 1st person doesnt cut it there, it's not a first step, but a PvP enhancement. I have no problem with making it even 1st person only, but it's not an answer to making the game scarier or more threatening.

So far player danger has been the only threat in the game - and arguably it will always be one of the biggest. Perspective abuse works against AI threats too so IDK what you are trying to say. Guess how much easier it is hiding from predators that work on visual detection (like infected in the mod) in 3PP.

Yes, not being able to see around corners or whats ahead of you on i.e. hills will make the game scarier, PvP or PvE.

2 hours ago, thedoctorlome1 said:

Came in thinking we could talk about things like how dark it should be at nighttime and such, but sadly you are just another one of those guys wanting 1st person only. JUST PLAY ON 1ST PERSON SERVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could have started doing that or you could have acted immature and childish. You choose wisely.

Again, since this is the 5th guy saying that - if you don't like my opinion, JUST READ OTHER THREADS. Same logic.

17 hours ago, thedoctorlome1 said:

what dude? FP only? how in ur right mind would you think that reading my reponse to 'how does dayz become scary again' has NOTHING what so ever to do with first or third person.. so don't be a retard.. having only 23 posts makes you a newbie in this community thus most likely to this game.. so don't judge when reading is hard for you.. 

'making this game more challenging and scary.. will happen when predators come to the server *wolves/bears you name it* more zombies.. but that will prob. not happen until patch 2.3.4.1 so... goodluck waiting on this one :P 

no really.. this will come in due time.. but right now.. the devs are to busy adding guns and trying to figure out what they can do to actually boost performance in general.. so don't expect game engine eating things like 100 wolves on the server devided in 20 packs.. roaming the woods.. or 300 zombies roaming NWA and balota  - Tigermonk'

please make a note where this quote says 'we should make it FP only because night time because fp is better etc. etc. etc.
I'll help you out noob... NOWHERE... 

20 (wolf)packs.. roaming the woods..
or
300 zombies roaming NWA and balota (so noobs like you with a mosin or a M4 with 30 mags don't just randomly pick off those 7 zombies on NWA)
(at the moment) then loot the place because 300 bullets are normal in apoc. times.. (sarcasm)

please go ask your mom for a cookie then crawl back into bed.. kids that can't read shouldn't be on the internet in the first place...

Oh yay, a revival of this argument. I thought this thread was about something more original.

• Like 1

This is an old arguement and 1 that doesn't have an answer really.. It would be nice if the devs premoted 1pp a little to new players allowing them to get a taste of how the devs feel the game should be played (its no secret the devs support 1pp  as prefered game play) before returning to the easier style of 3pp..

You will just have to make do with the few 1pp servers that exist and hope by miracle players drop easy mode..

• Like 1

You want scary? Download dying light w/demo. It has zombies in it, or was it infected... Yes that is what it is called. That will scare you, and so will hanging from the bridge at day time looking straight down...twisting some bulbs.

Quests are a tad lame but that is what those games are about. I am hoping to see dayz, give us that with the infected. Also blood and splatter would be awesome. Its a game, and we all want the best experience we can get. Especially the first time.

get off the 1p, 3p you can get the same spooky feeling from both. like i said and many others give dying light a fresh feel. Its not long term but it will give you tons of hours of spooky dealings. worth the money too.

Seems to me this thread is a deliberate TROLL thread started to see how active our new moderators are..
I cant see any other reason for it - It is the 1pp 3pp debate AGAIN, and if the OP was serious about arguing 1/3 - which he is obviously NOT - he could have contributed to any of the current threads on the topic.
He says himself he expects the thread to be locked.

So it's a Troll, it's a boring Troll, it is an "I am smarter than you" Troll - and in all the years since this forum started it would have been picked up by the Forum Moderators in an hour or so.
It should have been moved (at least)

This offends me, but what the hell.
ATM very few players use this forum, hardly anyone logs in, the BI devs don't read it anymore, one or two long-time players look in from time to time, but hardly any.
We do have a new forum moderator but he is not highly involved, re content.

So now the forum is for you new incoming dudes. Enjoy it.

It will not take long to destroy the Forum, if that's what you want. If you act stupid it will fall to bits.

Perhaps, bottom line, that is what BI wants ?

I agree it was dumb of me to say so LOUDLY this is a Troll thread. I am not a Moderator. And as far as I am concerned (really) you can go on putting bananas up each other's bums for as long as you like.

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim / pilgrim

Let's just calm down, everyone, ok? No need to be insulting each other and stirring drama up.

• Like 1

On 27.2.2016 at 5:46 AM, Buakaw said:

This was a topic on reddit a week ago or so..

With the introduction of the new player controller I feel this is a mandatory step into making DayZ a better final game. 3PP is both toxic to atmosphere as well as gameplay.

sorry, but i have to repeat myself here again: 1st person is, how it is right now, not playable for some people because of the weird motion delay and low fps

i get motion sick after about 5 minutes of 1st person only playing, if the devs rework how the 1st person camera behaves, it would be okay, but right now it just isn't

even if you turn "head bob" all the way down, you still have camera movement to the left and right when sorinting or jogging

one way to make DayZ a little bit fairer and meanwhile scarier would be to force 1st person view while prone, but forcing 1st person as standart is to much

anyway, this has been discussed to death a hundred times, there is no mode which is vastly superior to the other

Hello there

The 1st vs 3rd PP argument has been done to death and I can see nothing new in this thread to further the debate, so for now I shall close.

We mods are back now, if one suspects a troll or any other abuse simply use the report system.

Guide new users, let us mods decide whether folk are suitable to remain or not.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1