Guest Rob Zombie

Shooter or survival?

Guest Rob Zombie

Seems this game keeps moving further away from the survival aspect with every patch...its becoming more of a awkward FPS with an occasional zombie appearance here/there.  I know its still in alpha but damn, I want to survive the zombie horde; not the horde of ammo/guns that everyone has been blessed with of late.  Just hoping the direction shifts soon.

• Like 5

For now = true

in future I hope to see the survival aspect gets more balanced after hitting beta stage.

• MUCH more infected with new spawning system
  • advantages of cooked/hunted/fished/trapped meat/fish against junk food
  • base building and barricading
  • more makeshift stuff which can stand against high military gear (better vests/not different sizes of backpacks made out of leather/ makeshift cooking tripod/makeshift burlapsack etc
  • advanced horticulture - maybe the stuff you plant wont get destroyed after harvesting/persistent horticulture
  • nerf of energized/hydrated filling up blood to force the medical system; damn I dont know the last time I used a medical supply except rags and sticks with rags
  • weapons spawning in should be between badly damaged and pristine
  • more ammo spawning in lower ammount of rounds
Edited by imunone
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, imunone said:

For now = true

in future I hope to see the survival aspect gets more balanced after hitting beta stage.

• MUCH more infected with new spawning system
  • advantages of cooked/hunted/fished/trapped meat/fish against junk food
  • base building and barricading
  • more makeshift stuff which can stand against high military gear
  • advanced horticulture - maybe the stuff you plant wont get destroyed after harvesting/persistent horticulture
  • nerf of energized/hydrated filling up blood to force the medical system; damn I dont know the last time I used a medical supply except rags and sticks with rags
  • weapons spawning in should be between badly damaged and pristine

Plus:

- more pistols less rifles and SMGs

- make canned food less common and make/vegetables meat spoil/rot after 2 days (in game)

- make stamina more important

- make heavy objects really heavy  (barells, wheels, building materials...), that will make vehicles more important

- and more infected, I wouldnt mind even DayZmod spawning system (maybe increase spawn distance)

• Like 1

I hope survival will become somewhat challenging again,

maybe a metric shitton of zombies will do?

6 hours ago, Guest Rob Zombie said:

Seems this game keeps moving further away from the survival aspect with every patch...its becoming more of a awkward FPS with an occasional zombie appearance here/there.  I know its still in alpha but damn, I want to survive the zombie horde; not the horde of ammo/guns that everyone has been blessed with of late.  Just hoping the direction shifts soon.

a1scxw.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Guest Rob Zombie said:

Just to manage your expectations, things in DayZ rarely happen "soon" ;-)

Ever wondered why we have water purification tablets, charcoal tabs, antibiotics, alcohol tincture, vitamins and so many other items which seem useless?  They exist because there are a lot of survival features in the game already, but which are either currently not turned on, or if they are on seem to be set to very low levels.  

For example, whilst I haven't seen a "cold" status on any of my characters in a long time, I've gotten "hot" a few times recently - so clearly the temperature system is still switched on, but perhaps with quite forgiving parameters so that players don't have to worry about it too much right now.  A while back, there was a period when it was raining pretty much all the time so you would spawn in, instantly get soaked and then go cold.  Every spawn started with a race against time to find a rain coat and some matches before you froze to death.  I've lost a few characters to pneumonia in the past.

There are also some sickness and infected mechanics in the game too, which add to the survival element.  I don't think the sickness mechanic has ever been switched on whilst I've been playing (but I've seen youtube videos about it) but the infected one has been.  I cannot recall if attacks by the infected could cause an infection but I know that using a sewing kit to stop your bleeding (wow, I had forgotten about that until I wrote this - can you still do that?) could make your wounds infected, which could be a real problem.  I've died from it once or twice.  I think dirty rags could cause infection too, hence the alcohol tincture to clean them first and of course the antibiotics help if you do become infected.

Sickness\food poisoning was also around for a while - that's what the charcoal tabs are for and maybe the vitamins hint at some overall "health" status, or have some other benefit to a mechanic which is not currently on.

My hope is that one day the Devs turn all these features back on, so that surviving Chernarus itself becomes as hard as surviving encounters with other players.  

I lost a long surviving character to a bad case of some sickness. Couldn't find antibiotics anywhere and charcoal tabs wouldn't help. I'd drink constantly but was always full, while being dehydrated. It was pretty damn rough. 

After nearly a week of this I stashed my gear and ate a bullet. This was probably about a month ago so I'd say sickness is still in. 

But anyways I'd love to see the survival aspects get cranked up some. Would make things a little more interesting and dire for sure. 

Id like to see more survival elements like in the long dark, way more zombies, actual stamina so you cant run across the map non stop at 30 mph, less guns, less ammo, more craft-able weapons. LESS FOOD. the starving patch (think it was 0.55) was the best by far, fog, rain, snow. The question should be "what do I need to survive?" not "Where is the nearest AK?"

I think barricading buildings is gonna be pretty essential as well as being able to cammo you tents up a bit better. We need persistent foliage, branches etc that you can cut off trees and hid your tents with... at the moment tents are pretty useless.  

8 hours ago, Guest Rob Zombie said:

Unfortunately yes. and the new status report gives us - apart from parts of the new renderer .... yet another gun *rolleye*

There are more different guns than player slots on a server available.

There is no real challenge apart from killing fellow survivors

And yet what we get is guns, guns and even more guns. It seems as though the leading devs are not satisfied until each and every Arma gun is copied into standalone. Who needs survival.

Survival? Well, if Call of Duty, Doom and BattleField are survival games, DayZ is one as well. Instead of zombies, you see walking ammo departments and find out, that an average person in Chernarus has approximately 1 can of food, 1 can of drink and 7 guns for a living....

I'm pretty much done with hoping for a good survival game. On the positive side, having no hopes can only make for a good surprise. But the most likely result of this game is a waste of potential.

24 minutes ago, HarryPotter (DayZ) said:

the starving patch (think it was 0.55) was the best by far, fog, rain, snow. The question should be "what do I need to survive?" not "Where is the nearest AK?"

I agree, 0.55 was the best until the devs decided that loot was too scarce. For once I was really short on food and I felt really lucky to find some random gun in a car trunk. It was actually the only time ever that anything in DayZ ever felt like a challenge apart from PvP.

Edited by Noctoras
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Noctoras said:

agree, 0.55 was the best until the devs decided that loot was too scarce. For once I was really short on food and I felt really lucky to find some random gun in a car trunk. It was actually the only time ever that anything in DayZ ever felt like a challenge apart from PvP.

0.55 also had the best zombie experience to date, outside of some very kickass (albeit laggy) experimental builds. That patch was awesome.

• Like 3

I had no problem with hunger in .55. I ate ton of apples. Zombies were great, took me 15 minutes to get trough Stary

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mad Vlad said:

I lost a long surviving character to a bad case of some sickness. Couldn't find antibiotics anywhere and charcoal tabs wouldn't help. I'd drink constantly but was always full, while being dehydrated. It was pretty damn rough. 

After nearly a week of this I stashed my gear and ate a bullet. This was probably about a month ago so I'd say sickness is still in. 

But anyways I'd love to see the survival aspects get cranked up some. Would make things a little more interesting and dire for sure. 

Interesting, I've not seen that status in so long I presumed it was deactivated.  Do you happen to remember how you became sick?

4 minutes ago, igor-vk said:

I had no problem with hunger in .55. I ate ton of apples. Zombies were great, took me 15 minutes to get trough Stary

Well, yes. It was the only time ever canned food was not sufficient. With 0.55 hotfix, it went back to SuperMarket Simulator Z.

Btw. 0.55 was also the last time ever I saw melee fighting in a normal environment. Never seen since, everyone is a walking armory again *yawn*

Edited by Noctoras

8 hours ago, igor-vk said:

It never was survival game, unless you refused to pick up some loot. :(

The mod would've been with these:

- Stamina system

- Zombies that can run indoors, uphill and can't be unaggroed by sitting under a pine tree. Breaking line of sight didn't do anything until later.

Let's hope the DayZ will be DayZ again in the future and not the PvP mode that is even promoted by the devs in streams :(

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, St. Jimmy said:

Let's hope the DayZ will be DayZ again in the future and not the PvP mode that is even promoted by the devs in streams :(

I have little hope there. Hicks seems to be a die hard gun nerd and I recall something like "not having a gun is boring" (second hand info). I might be mistaken, but I really wouldn't hold my hopes high when it comes to survival mechanics, items and gameplay content. That said, no hopes leaves a lot of room for a positive surprise :D

Guest Guest Rob Zombie

I'm just hoping its a test phase with the guns...hopefully by the time beta rolls around, we'll be trying to survive the horde whilst trying to find food/shelter.

10 hours ago, igor-vk said:

It never was survival game, unless you refused to pick up some loot. :(

Damn dude, thats depressing as fuck hearing it from you since i know you wanted survival to. I want the survival focus as well. I want it to be as blood drenched and as jam packed with undead like Dying Light is! Survival first! Better loot second priority all the way!

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 1

My promise to everyone in this thread and everyone out there who reads these posts and also wishes for a more survival oriented game is this:

If BI can't or won't make it happen, I WILL. It will not be difficult to create more survival oriented gameplay through tweaking numbers. When it comes right down to it, we are talking about number of guns (numbers), amount of food (numbers), temperature (numbers), likelihood of fighting disease (numbers), scarcity of game (numbers). Assuming they get the infected AI and spawning system under control, zombies too are another matter of numbers. Do not lose hope for the kind of game you guys all signed up for when you purchased the game. The fact is, BI is giving us all the tools we need to really satisfy every niche.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 6

Not trying to play the devil's advocate here, but what exactly keeps you guys believing that this game will ever be what you want it to be? Has it ever demonstrated even a modicum of being such? From my memory, it hasn't. We haven't even had any real infected presence in the game for months now — let alone any actual challenge in surviving anything besides glitches and other players — and as such I guess I just don't have the same faith I once had in this game. :^(

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Grimey Rick said:

Not trying to play the devil's advocate here, but what exactly keeps you guys believing that this game will ever be what you want it to be? Has it ever demonstrated even a modicum of being such? From my memory, it hasn't. We haven't even had any real infected presence in the game for months now — let alone any actual challenge in surviving anything besides glitches and other players — and as such I guess I just don't have the same faith I once had in this game. :^(

The mod keeps me from believing it and prospective modders like my pal ColdAtrophy.

There was a time when you spawned on the coast and were surrounded by infected and merely making it inland was a bit of a crap shoot.

Much of what I believe weighs on your mind in the above statement (balanced survival mechanics with zombies) still remains to be seen in practice within the game and many of us are hoping the new modules and the renderer are the first real step towards Standalone DayZ and not mod-without-infected-shooter.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Deathlove said:

Damn dude, thats depressing as fuck hearing it from you since i know you wanted survival to. I want the survival focus as well. I want it to be as blood drenched and as jam packed with undead like Dying Light is! Survival fist! Better loot second priority all the way!

I have nothing against adding new guns and items and clothng. Just give us something to spend ammo at (other than players on coast), let infected damage our gear again, make us to go to high zed population to get good stuff. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Grimey Rick said:

In the words of Bohemia Interactive itself, this is a survival horror MMO.

Allow me to put forth an idea that came to me a little while back: no one has ever actually played DayZ. No one. Not a day one mod player, not Hicks, not Rocket, not you, not I. I would guess that most players would scoff at this notion, but humor me. Rocket started with the mod on Arma 2. Why? It makes sense in a way. What other platform was as open and had the foundations needed to provide the kind of experience that he wanted to achieve? Games like what BI does are not dime-a-dozen. Other than creating a game from scratch, something he had not the time, funding, nor inclination to do, the best method to achieve what he had always envisioned was to adapt Arma to DayZ. But what did he say about the final product? It fell short. Arma could not fulfill the mission. 

So they decided to make the SA product. They started with a foundation of Arma 2 era RV engine, TOH branch iirc. What was basically all you could do in Arma? Shoot stuff. That part of the experience was already honed enough to be released in a damn military simulation game. So while the code monkeys have been banging away behind the scenes, preparing the stage for a number of updates that will fundamentally change the underlying ability of the engine to satisfy the kind of DayZ experience that Rocket had always intended, we've all still been playing Arma essentially for the last two years. Sure, they add a piece here and there that tacks on some more stuff to check out and test, but we are only just now getting to the cusp of where the major engine changes are going to be merged into the public facing build. No one has ever seen a fully coalesced playable build of all the elements that were a part of Rocket's original vision for DayZ.

Am I saying that I think that your opinion is invalid? Hell no. In fact, if I'm being 100% honest, it's my greatest fear for the future of DayZ. We have thousands upon thousands of shooters to play. We have never seen a zombie apocalypse simulation. Never. Not even close. What do we really have? Left 4 Dead? Dying Light? H1Z1 (lol)? It's all arcadey science fantasy at best, a PVP cop out at worst. So when I purchased the Bohemia Interactive game that they have described as a survival horror MMO set in an infected landscape, wherein players brave innumerable dangers and can lose it all in second, I didn't expect "Battlefield: Be Severely Inconvenienced When You Get Shot and Killed". There's a good chance still that you are right, that DayZ will never elevate to its' true potential. However, I, and I assume more than just a couple others, haven't heard the fat lady sing on this one yet. There is still substantial enough tech left to implement, development time left for tweaking, and generally positive cues that we aren't the ones that have it all wrong from the dev team (Hicks aside). If in 6 or 8 more months, the game is still just as pew pew oriented as it is right now, I will be the first to tell you that you were right Rick. I mean that. For now, I'm still willing to hold my breath. 

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 4