WilliamTheConqueror

Is anyone else concerned that the NewUI is a big step back?

It's slow, hard to use, the menu is nearly impossible to work with as I can't even see what the population of the server is without going through a bunch and clicking the "details" button for each one. The old inventory UI was better in almost every single way. The only reason I use the new one is the fact that it apparently improves frames by a couple (though I haven't noticed it). But I haven't heard anything about it from the devs after its implementation. Hopefully after the engine stuff is sorted, they will return to it. I'm just surprised they made a big deal out of it, but haven't talked about it since. I want to know what they have planned for it, because if it involves the current system in any way, I'm worried. 

I know, I know, alpha, work is being done. I get that. I just wanted to bring this up so it can be addressed sooner, rather than later. The whole point is to bring up what we think are design flaws, right?

• Like 2

Did you even read today's status report?

The Enfusion/DayZ Engine team have kicked off the new year right.

- Extensive New UI bugfixing
- Cooperation w/ Design & Art on New UI skin prototype

• Like 2

Did you even read today's status report?

I am sorry. I didn't see today's. Never mind then. I am glad to see "New UI skin Prototype". I think the current design of NewUI Is pretty horrible. I like the simplicity of the old one. I guess the mods can go ahead and delete this thread now.

they've always said that the newui as it is is just a stop-gap to let people do things like access all of their tent space, etc.  they said they'd make it pretty later.

Glad they're putting some time into polishing the newer UI, in it's current state it looks and functions horribly. But it did give me much better FPS whwn I was on my AMD cpu

I don't understand, what are the problems you are facing with the new UI? I am using it for a month with no problems.

• Like 2

The performance improvement is real, but in the areas where it doesn't matter, aka forest, empty open spaces by being smoother at relatively the same frames. In towns and above, it's still useless. Usability-wise, I had to take it down asap. No status notifications, the inventory expand-collapse is a joke, can't rotate the character preview model, the hands slot no longer has the X button to quickly send the item where it used to be and I had to expand all the slots to see where I have some space left. The server notification texts are too big and intrusive, also the servers I played on had another big square on the right side notifying me which notification number I am seeing as if I gave a .... which one it is. My opinion as of 0.59 is kill it with fire. Hope it improves, although I am fond of the simplicity of the 'old' ui.

• Like 3

Anyone know why it gives better frames?

Are the models not actually represented in real time any more with it or something?

Are the models not actually represented in real time any more with it or something?

IIRC it takes off some of the workload off your CPU and uses the GPU more

• Like 1

Apparently there is much more to the UI system than on we imagined . 

From what I understand .

The current UI or (old UI ) Runs off the CPU , every time you open it You are essentially loading a new object . Just imagine walking through a empty field and a building spawning in front of you when you hit a button... basically. 

This is putting even more load on the cpu (Which is probably already maxing out) , this game currently puts more load on cpu than it really needs to . As they tried to split the workload between CPU,GPU and Ram more so than other games who normally put more of the work on the GPU and Ram ... 

The "New UI " which is for the most part functioning properly on the back end, Puts its load onto the GPU which is at the moment under utilized..It just needs a shiny new skin and layout to be more user friendly .

DayZ is currently kinda weird about where it draws its power from .. More of the work going on the CPU and Memory is why some of you may have experienced issues where you bought this new high end video card but didn't get the performance boost you would have expected from other games. 

Or had decent multi core CPUs but the game ran like crap. 

The way that DayZ runs at the moment ,it really prefers high end single core processors with mid to high range graphics cards. 

This is why some people can get away with lower end cards as long as they have mid to high range CPUs and decent ram.. While those with high end multi core PCs and high end cards may run like crap. It just really doesn't like Multi cores for some reason.

At Least that's my understanding of it... I may be completely wrong.  

Edited by J0nathan
  • Like 2

Holy shit, don't you read! This must drive the devs mad. The new UI is just preliminary tech., from which to design upon. It has no useability, it will at some point. At least wait till then to say it sucks.

Edited by Coheed_IV

I'm just really wondering, if the idea that you can't drag clothes of a dead player's body is a design choice or has to do with the underdeveloped nature of the UI. Since you can only see the inventory of that body and don't get an option to see the ground (inventory), unless you step back a bit, it might be they will have some trouble making things work the way they were. I definitely need to be able to drag things off a body quickly, everything else is cumbersome and dangerous. The alternative would be to stop bodies from despawning for a longer time. I still don't understand why this isn't done, especially during the Alpha and Beta Phase and given as an option later on. I always liked the "graves" in the mods, though they aren't realistic. But they were an interesting thing to go an fight over, and I've been killed so many times randomly, while running on rocks or over stairs (that most of the time were perfectly safe) that I can't forgive the option not being there.

I'm exclusively using New UI and it's come to the point where I don't even bother to loot dead bodies, except for their primary rifle. It's however very inconvenient to have your friend die next to you and not to be able to safe his gear, unless you strip down and expose yourself for several minutes while fumbling around getting dressed with his gear and dropping it nearby. Arma had the option to drag dead bodies. I hope this will see a comeback with the new player controller. That said, I'm not as impaired by new UI as many other people, in fact I quite like it. But truth be told, there are many situations it is a total pain to use in. And half the time I don't grab the items I want to, but the ones that are next to it in my inventory. Everytime I put my pistol back in the inventory, I have to check where it went. Binoculars and bottles have no problem going back to the slots they were taken out from, but pistols and sidearms seem to go to wherever you have some space. Good to hear there will be massive updates. It's much needed, in order to convince people to use it more. The status icons are the one thing I'm not missing. After a while you rather like not having them. 

Edited by S3V3N

I also have concerns.  I know obviously its a work in progress so you can stop repeating that.  However the basic functionality of the inventory is just worse than the original UI.  The object in hands location should just stay in the same spot as it is now, its a logical place for that screen to be I think right in the center.  I think the basic locations and icons should remain in the same spots.  The aesthetic of it and obviously the frames increase is going to be a huge plus.  I just hope they don't keep the current NewUI layout is all.  Especially the 'item in hands' box being right next to all your inventory.  There is just too much information in a small column on the right side of the screen.  Anyway I imagine they realize this.

Edited by Komalt
  • Like 2

I have not tried the new UI, but it looks awful compared to the old simplistic UI. It's cool that the new UI makes all tent spaces accessable, let us hope they fix the old UI aswell, because i am still in total denial of the new UI, even with the access perk. I guess i'll pick my poisons for my tent slots. 

• Like 1

The new ui was literally just the rough and ready code version. No time has been spent getting it working or looking beyond the initial iteration.

Complaining about how it looks or the differences between new and old is redundant

• Like 1

I like the new ui it actually simulates going through your stuff and looting no more unrealiastically fast looting etc etc. few bugs in it but its new.

I've used it since it was first available.  I have no real complaints with it's functionality in its current state.  I also understand it is unfinished and not even recommended for widespread use at this time.

Basically, I prefer it but most people should just wait until it is finished.

I swore-off the newUI when I first tried it.  The design aspect was nonexistent and the functionality was clunky.  Now that I have been forced to use it to interact with vehicle easier, I cannot see myself going back to the old UI.  I actually like having to rely on the text ticker for all of my status updates; it's kinda like ultra-hardcore mode.  You actually have to think about how often you are eating or drinking, rather than just looking at a colored bar to tell you if you need food and water.

• Like 1