boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.59 Discussion

What I'm wondering about is if we'll see vehicles added through an update before 0.60 comes around. After all, the models for bikes and motorbikes are done and the vehicles need more tweaking and testing for sure. So they should bring them in as soon as possible. I'm just surprised they don't give that update a number. I'm also curious if persistence will be wiped before the 0.60 update. Those two things are very small pieces of information to ask for, but as has been mentioned above, the information is sealed in a box somewhere and if the devs speak about it, they get shot and eaten by cannibals. 

Seriously - why is it so hard to make a short announcement about what the next maintenance will do? It could be a quick status report - but before the update - saying:

- new vehicles added (bike, motorbike)

- new parts (bike wheels, motorbike wheels)

- persistence wipe: no

- character wipe: no

That way, on Tuesdays I wouldn't always have to return to my camp, pack up all the gear I can hold and log off. It's not a big inconvenience, but this could be avoided alltogether with the simple addition of that information above...  

Edited by S3V3N

I'm also curious if persistence will be wiped before the 0.60 update. 

I have two questions for you:

1) Has there ever been a numbered patch that didn't come with a persistence and/or character wipe? I don't know of any, but I've only been around for nearly a year so I wouldn't be surprised if I just haven't seen it. I'm guessing I must be wrong because I see people ask about it and get pissed right before every patch.

2) Why would they wipe it before .60? 

I have two questions for you:

1) Has there ever been a numbered patch that didn't come with a persistence and/or character wipe? I don't know of any, but I've only been around for nearly a year so I wouldn't be surprised if I just haven't seen it. I'm guessing I must be wrong because I see people ask about it and get pissed right before every patch.

2) Why would they wipe it before .60? 

I'm just talking about regular maintenance. I'm sure there was maintenance that reset persistence, though the characters haven't been reset in ages, or only when there was a numbered (0.58,0.59...) update. But the Wednesday maintenance always  concerns me. If not persistence, then vehicles will be reset. It would be good to know what is happening with the maintenance, at least get a warning if persistence of vehicles is reset.

BTW - todays maintenance isn't happening? I just checked and all servers were up and running.  

Edited by S3V3N

I'm just talking about regular maintenance. I'm sure there was maintenance that reset persistence, though the characters haven't been reset in ages, or only when there was a numbered (0.58,0.59...) update. But the Wednesday maintenance always  concerns me. If not persistence, then vehicles will be reset. It would be good to know what is happening with the maintenance, at least get a warning if persistence of vehicles is reset.

BTW - todays maintenance isn't happening? I just checked and all servers were up and running.  

Today's maintenance probably already happened several hours ago.  The hive usually goes down around midnight for me and is back up around 4 or 5am. It's 8am for me now.

Persistent storage has not been reset by maintenance for a couple patches now. They decoupled storage from whatever process they perform during maintenance or something like that. It was in a Status Report awhile back.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 1

Has there ever been a numbered patch that didn't come with a persistence and/or character wipe? I don't know of any, but I've only been around for nearly a year so I wouldn't be surprised if I just haven't seen it. I'm guessing I must be wrong because I see people ask about it and get pissed right before every patch.

Short answer: yes.

Earlier on, when "major" releases were more frequent and didn't include massive back-end changes like we're getting more recently, they occasionally skipped doing a hive wipe. That's how we had situations where something would be removed from the loot table, or a combination would no longer be possible to perform (i.e. weapon attachments), but you would still see players carrying it around anyway because it hadn't been taken from them yet via a hive wipe.

Performing a wipe was seen as something that would only happen when necessary, but these days we get it with every release because there's so much change happening with each update. That, and you get better data when you remove old, outdated variables from the equation.

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 3

I only know that a vehicle was gone from my camp after a performance/maintenance update. That was without a numbered update and a few weeks ago. Since nothing else was missing, I assumed vehicles were reset, but nothing else. It would be nice to know what parts of the game are affected during maintenance, before logging in and finding out - or worse: wondering about it. I'm sometimes a bit unsure, if my camp was found, because more often than not, something was missing/changed after maintenance. It's mostly the uncertainty about my camp being discovered or a wipe caused by maintenance that made me write my request here. Because I'm a creature of habit and tend to make camps at always the same sites, because they are awesome places. When I know they were only affected by maintenance I rebuild them - no problem. Whereas when I presume they were discovered, I have to relocate. My playstyle involves building camps a lot and sometimes the status reports are so slow to come in that I can't know what changed and how my camp was affected by it. To give the relevant information about consistency a day or so before maintenance wouldn't be a great effort for the devs, I think, but it would be a great help for the players.   

I only know that a vehicle was gone from my camp after a performance/maintenance update. That was without a numbered update and a few weeks ago. Since nothing else was missing, I assumed vehicles were reset, but nothing else. It would be nice to know what parts of the game are affected during maintenance, before logging in and finding out - or worse: wondering about it. I'm sometimes a bit unsure, if my camp was found, because more often than not, something was missing/changed after maintenance. It's mostly the uncertainty about my camp being discovered or a wipe caused by maintenance that made me write my request here. Because I'm a creature of habit and tend to make camps at always the same sites, because they are awesome places. When I know they were only affected by maintenance I rebuild them - no problem. Whereas when I presume they were discovered, I have to relocate. My playstyle involves building camps a lot and sometimes the status reports are so slow to come in that I can't know what changed and how my camp was affected by it. To give the relevant information about consistency a day or so before maintenance wouldn't be a great effort for the devs, I think, but it would be a great help for the players.

That car was stolen from you , believe it or not ... Nothing is changed during maintenance and if it does they ALWAYS let us know what they did (vehicle wipe , persistence wipe) but that rarely happens now a days with just regular maintenance . Persistence is full on nowadays and I love it , do you guys remember having to pack up camp before every restart or every maintenance ? I did , and that shit sucked , I'm so glad persistence finally works !

• Like 2

That car was stolen from you , believe it or not ... Nothing is changed during maintenance and if it does they ALWAYS let us know what they did (vehicle wipe , persistence wipe) but that rarely happens now a days with just regular maintenance . Persistence is full on nowadays and I love it , do you guys remember having to pack up camp before every restart or every maintenance ? I did , and that shit sucked , I'm so glad persistence finally works !

I recall having too much stuff and having to make tough decisions on what to keep each Tuesday. I'm happy they fixed it too.

• Like 2

Thank you for clarifying this, the misinformation was driving me crazy. (and frankly i didn't even know the truth)

Maintenance happens at 8:00am GMT, that's Greenich Mean Time ie) the time in England. The servers did go down.

Edited by ghoulman

I only know that a vehicle was gone from my camp after a performance/maintenance update. 

Was that after the latest hotfix? They did reset vehicles then, but I think it might have been because the hotfix largely was bug fixes for said vehicles.

• Like 1

Was that after the latest hotfix? They did reset vehicles then, but I think it might have been because the hotfix largely was bug fixes for said vehicles.

Yeah that must have been it. I doubt anyone would only steal a car from my camps, because they are basically a jackpot ^^

Makes sense, too, since the update changed the vehicle spawns and fixed the sliding bug (a little bit). But I don't recall reading about: "hey, vehicles will be reset and respawn", which would really not be much of an effort to write in a message on Twitter, but would mean a lot to the people, who have a car. I could have taken some stuff out of it, since I always have a jerry can and a spare wheel in mine. It's not a big thing and I'm glad to know now that persistence isn't going to be touched, but if the devs know the cars will despawn, why not write a quick heads-up for us guys? 

About maintenance - so it was quick today. Sometimes it takes until late in the afternoon, sometimes it's quick. I guess nothing was updated today, then? No new vehicles or such (I want a bike ;))

Edited by S3V3N

Yeah that must have been it. I doubt anyone would only steal a car from my camps, because they are basically a jackpot ^^

Makes sense, too, since the update changed the vehicle spawns and fixed the sliding bug (a little bit). But I don't recall reading about: "hey, vehicles will be reset and respawn", which would really not be much of an effort to write in a message on Twitter, but would mean a lot to the people, who have a car. I could have taken some stuff out of it, since I always have a jerry can and a spare wheel in mine. It's not a big thing and I'm glad to know now that persistence isn't going to be touched, but if the devs know the cars will despawn, why not write a quick heads-up for us guys? 

I'm not saying this to be mean or rude to the devs, but they don't see our investments of time and energy as it relates to gear as important. When we got the .58 camp lag hot fix my group lost two M4s, tons of ammo, attachments, tents, etc. Eugen had previously stated that we wouldn't get a wipe of persistence, but it turned out that they had to. That part is fine. Things come up. But they didn't post anything letting us know. It sucks. But I try to just let it go. As SMoss recently said, continuity is not guaranteed at this stage. 

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 1

https://mobile.twitter.com/Hicks_206?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Sorry I'm in mobile version and I can't seem to go full version ... But the tweet above is hicks saying that they might be showing and talking about the new renderer next week ! Can't wAit to get some actual news instead of just talking , but at least they are probably showcasing it!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Hicks_206?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Sorry I'm in mobile version and I can't seem to go full version ... But the tweet above is hicks saying that they might be showing and talking about the new renderer next week ! Can't wAit to get some actual news instead of just talking , but at least they are probably showcasing it!

That link doesn't lead to a specific tweet. I don't know how to do Twitter though so maybe I'm missing something. I think I found the one you are talking about though.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 1

That link doesn't lead to a specific tweet. I don't know how to do Twitter though so maybe I'm missing something. I think I found the one you are talking about though.

https://twitter.com/Hicks_206/status/689830077442441216

Haha yes , that's it sorry ! Hopefully we will see something exciting next week ...

• Like 2

I do have the same problems, except i dont have fps drop.

NtQYma7.jpg

Yep, that's what I am getting too even after reinstalling DayZ. After reviewing my .cfg file and profile config, my FPS is no longer and issue. 

Has anyone else's barrels disappeared since the last update? I play 1p on public and my barrels are still there, whereas I play 3p on a private hive and only the tents are still there. I took out most of the stuff from the barrels with a friend, so there were no weapons or ammo in them (only leather and a few tools), yet all 5 barrels are missing, wheras nothing has been taken from the tents. I find that pretty confusing, as I don't know who would leave the tents untouched, but steal all the barrels. Plus the barrels were much better hidden, too. 

If I wouldn't still have them on the public server I would assume barrels were reset, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So I'm just wondering if anyone experienced missing barrels or anything weird like that since the last update. 

Are there any vehicles left out there or they are all hidden? Havent found a car since first week of this update. I found only one chasis V3S without any parts. 

Edited by igor-vk

Are there any vehicles left out there or they are all hidden? Havent found a car since first week of this update. I found only one chasis V3S without any parts. 

What are you asking? If people hide their vehicles or if they leave them out in the open? Or are you asking if they spawn hidden or out in the open?

For the former, it's up to the individual.

For the latter, vehicles spawn on roads and in towns.

Has anyone else's barrels disappeared since the last update? I play 1p on public and my barrels are still there, whereas I play 3p on a private hive and only the tents are still there. I took out most of the stuff from the barrels with a friend, so there were no weapons or ammo in them (only leather and a few tools), yet all 5 barrels are missing, wheras nothing has been taken from the tents. I find that pretty confusing, as I don't know who would leave the tents untouched, but steal all the barrels. Plus the barrels were much better hidden, too. 

If I wouldn't still have them on the public server I would assume barrels were reset, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So I'm just wondering if anyone experienced missing barrels or anything weird like that since the last update. 

You sound almost paranoid, lol. Were your barrels poked with holes? Maybe someone who knew of your camp did so without realizing it would make them despawn, although I cannot fathom why. Maybe the person who took them simply found moving tents to be too much of a hassle or preferred to make stashes of barrels.

Edited by ghoulman

Are there any left at their spawnpoints. If there are any not repaired and hidden somewhere in woods.

You sound almost paranoid, lol. Were your barrels poked with holes? Maybe someone who knew of your camp did so without realizing it would make them despawn, although I cannot fathom why. Maybe the person who took them simply found moving tents to be too much of a hassle or preferred to make stashes of barrels.

Almost paranoid? I am totally paranoid. Ever step I take in Dayz, I alt-look behind and left and right of me scanning the tiniest pixels on the horizon for movement. It's funny, because it's true ;)

I just can't figure out why these barrels are gone, but the tents aren't. It's well possible someone found them and poked holes into them just to vent their frustration about nothing else being inside. But I can't figure out why the left the tents (2 car tents and 2 civilian inside the car tents) and didn't touch any of their inventory. Perhaps they thought: "with the barrels gone, this guy is gonna put his stuff in the tents". But this guy has other plans. I'm just really wondering if barrels were somehow affected by the last patch. It seems so weird only they are gone; they were in a pretty odd location, so possibly some new "cleanup" feature has been added that removed them from there. Though it is really a perfect spot for them!

Edited by S3V3N

Are there any left at their spawnpoints. If there are any not repaired and hidden somewhere in woods.

The only way to find out is to go look for them ;)

Honestly though, I'd imagine almost all of them have been found already. I have found that if you put enough bullets in a car (or crash enough) it will turn black and respawn as a fresh vehicle on reset. So, maybe you'll get lucky and find a car the was destroyed and respawned. Otherwise you're best off trying to find a server that just had a persistence wipe or that recently began being hosted.

Almost paranoid? I am totally paranoid. Ever step I take in Dayz, I alt-look behind and left and right of me scanning the tiniest pixels on the horizon for movement. It's funny, because it's true  ;)

I just can't figure out why these barrels are gone, but the tents aren't. It's well possible someone found them and poked holes into them just to vent their frustration about nothing else being inside. But I can't figure out why the left the tents (2 car tents and 2 civilian inside the car tents) and didn't touch any of their inventory. Perhaps they thought: "with the barrels gone, this guy is gonna put his stuff in the tents". But this guy has other plans. I'm just really wondering if barrels were somehow affected by the last patch. It seems so weird only they are gone; they were in a pretty odd location, so possibly some new "cleanup" feature has been added that removed them from there. Though it is really a perfect spot for them!

Your speculation about a cleanup feature doesn't make a lot of sense. Firstly, why would the devs arbitrarily despawn one group of barrels on one server? I realize that you're asking to see if anyone else's barrels were wiped, but If they felt the need to wipe barrels then why wouldn't they wipe all barrels on all hives? Secondly, does the option to only wipe a certain item from a server even exist? As far as I'm aware you would have to delete the persistence file to wipe any items, in which case all items would be wiped.

It just sounds like someone is messing with you.

Edited by ghoulman

Your speculation about a cleanup feature doesn't make a lot of sense. Firstly, why would the devs arbitrarily despawn one group of barrels on one server? I realize that you're asking to see if anyone else's barrels were wiped, but If they felt the need to wipe barrels then why wouldn't they wipe all barrels on all hives? Secondly, does the option to only wipe a certain item from a server even exist? As far as I'm aware you would have to delete the persistence file to wipe any items, in which case all items would be wiped.

It just sounds like someone is messing with you.

Well, okay I'll tell the reason then. They were in a place nobody goes to and the infected can't reach. Some invisible border blocks them from going there. It was in a city. So I thought, maybe something was added in maintenance to prevent objects from spawning in places the infected can't go to. Since my other barrels are in open wood and haven't been lost, I thought this could be a plausible explanation. That location wasn't discovered for several months now and I rebuild it after each wipe. So it would be important for me to know if the ability to build there is gone now, or if it was just a random player, who made a lucky discovery.  

Well, okay I'll tell the reason then. They were in a place nobody goes to and the infected can't reach. Some invisible border blocks them from going there. It was in a city. So I thought, maybe something was added in maintenance to prevent objects from spawning in places the infected can't go to. Since my other barrels are in open wood and haven't been lost, I thought this could be a plausible explanation. That location wasn't discovered for several months now and I rebuild it after each wipe. So it would be important for me to know if the ability to build there is gone now, or if it was just a random player, who made a lucky discovery.  

It would be a more logical solution to simply increase the pathing of infected rather than remove a players ability to build a base there. It's not even a huge exploit, and is still exploitable even if barrels are unable to be placed there. You'd think they would make that entire area totally unavailable rather than preventing you from placing barrels there.

Besides, there are countless other gameplay issues which should be prioritized.

Edited by ghoulman

Hey Seven. They recently made any items that are placed in the debug zone not persistent. Maybe that applies to your little area as well.

• Like 1