robophant

[Poll] Official servers 1pp only

Official servers 1pp only?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Official servers 1pp only?

No tacos are superior in every regard followed by sushi and than spaghetti.

Every thing is better in 1pp including but not limited to tacos.

• Like 1

Every thing is better in 1pp including but not limited to tacos.

Third person banana's rule the roost though!

B I STOP IT PLEASE.

There's been a backwards and forwards on this for YEARS.

Polls out the wazoo, you changed the zoom and angle of the 3pp camera (including an annoying left shoulder right shoulder position button which interfered with lean).  You cater for both audiences yet 1pp servers remain dead. 

CHOOSE ONE OR THE OTHER.

What kind of experience are you trying to deliver?

Are you trying to please everyone?

Do you want to have a game which is hard-core but caters to casual play?

Do you want to be a niche game or a sandbox anti-game?

stop trying to degrade the 3pp option to make the 1pp more attractive.  I don't see a single 1pp server above 7pop.  Not in years. What are you trying to acchieve?

Again, it's been optional since the get go, and 1pp has declined immensely.  Make it compulsory and you may kill the playerbase.  Keep it optional and nothing changes, people continue to play in the casual manner they wish to, and the game continues to prove that it's not as hardcore as is touted.

I personally love 1pp, but play on 3pp to chill.  As soon as i'm in close to a city, or seeing humans i'm switching to 1pp.  If you were to put it to 1pp only that wouldn't matter to me, but why do all this work on 3pp camera (which I swore blue in the face about being obselete and a waste of resources).

Treat the damned thing like Iraq. Either go in and wipe it clean, or leave it the damned hell alone.

Have you considered the consequences?  On face value 3pp would appear more attractive to your customer base.

Are you trying to palm clients off to private shards by making public less attractive, thereby reducing your commitment to public hosting in the same way that supermarket chains phase out private brand items by making them less competitive and then removing from sale based on sales figures?  Are you trying to offset creative input & resource use, and post-launch support by again: encouraging private use where prevalence of modified environments will be prolific?  How do you foresee this affecting the playerbase?  Are there enough private shards to accomodate failure if you are wrong?  What investigations have you done and what do you have planned as safeguard or feature-added to encourage both a smooth transition and enjoyable experience for both 1pp and 3pp camps?

What are you trying to acchieve (objective)?  Are you trying to cater to streamers, or the vocal -apparent minority of 1pp here -?  Are you trying to encourage a particular gameplay, or phase out 3pp?  What is it you are doing, or are you just doing something?  Despite my enjoyment in either mode, removal of option is, i feel, rarely a good thing.

If this is legit, I feel it shows a disconnect with the community.  At least where I'm from, you'd be lucky to find a 1pp server.

Also @OP, may have dug my foot in mouth asking and not researching first, but please link to original thread as i don't feel like wading through multiple scroll wheels of Brian boasting about how amazing his life is drinking scotch and playing with Pugs...

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 1

If the games were designed to be FPS only they would not have even included this prior to putting it in. If you don't want that specific type of camera angle in a game you make sure even in a beta or alpha that it does not exist to begin with. But since this is a sandbox game third person does make sense. Hence why they have servers dedicated to both styles of play.

Why can't they take something out that they later realize was a mistake to incorporate in the first place? Maybe they don't think it "makes sense" to have 3pp in a survival game that is populated with unintelligent zombies that can't see over walls. If they did, why would they talk about removing 3pp?

Your argument: some people like 3pp, therefore, 3pp must be included to accommodate those players.

Why the logic supporting your argument is inappropriate: some people like using hacks and/or scripts, therefore, hacks and scripts must be included to accommodate those players.

You said that others' opinions should not influence your own opinion. Maybe the developers feel the same way. They think 3pp cheapens the experience, and they don't care if you disagree.

• Like 2

Your argument: some people like 3pp, therefore, 3pp must be included to accommodate those players.

Why the logic supporting your argument is inappropriate: some people like using hacks and/or scripts, therefore, hacks and scripts must be included to accommodate those players.

Except when other's opinion has a direct effect on gameplay, and whether a server is populated or not?  In a multiplayer only game?

So I either care about what other people think, play on 3pp and have a populated server, or embrace my independance and domicile myself in a 0/64 player server.  Yep sound logic. 

Also, comparing the 1/3pp debate and people's preference / opinion to hacks is just stupid, and missing the point.  I.. just don't even... nope nope nope...  People gotta learn to present opinion sans ad hominem.

Edit:

To re-iterate the saga that is 1pp/3pp:

what is 1x0? 0

what is 2x0? 0

what is 100x0? 0

if I am selling a product that there is no demand for, what does increasing supply to that product present?  does it increase demand, or just purely create more of something someone doesn't want?

You have your damned servers.  Prove the people who can look at a server browser and make a cursory appraisal that 1pp is less popular by a long shot wrong, and play on the damned server you allege to preference.

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 2

If you want more people to play 1pp, make it more attractive, don't try to force people to "like" them by removing 3pp options.

The other option is to slowly make people get used to 1p perspective. Even on 3pp servers, when you aim down sight you are in 1pp. You could for example implement obligatory 1pp view when driving a vehicle (or just when you're inside one). Then throw in biplane - on 1pp servers only and people will have incentive to leave their usual 3pp and try 1pp, just to look for that plane.

Carrot on a stick, not smacking someone with that stick.

Edited by SniperV
  • Like 1

"The thought has crossed my mind to make the Official DayZ servers all 1PP - leave the community the option to run theirs 3PP if they want" ~Brian Hicks

You like?

Yes, I like it. Next step... get rid of the hive idea.

Leave the community the option to run theirs 3PP or hives if they want.

Edited by NoCheats

What's to gain exactly? Since there are also LOADS of 1PP servers too.

Well because there's nothing to loose, why not try if there's some gain? Or maybe they will get somehow different data from 1PP servers than from 3PP.

Oh my shit, this fuckin argument again.

If you like 1pp fine, if you like 3pp fine. Theres already servers for each.

When I play I go to the usual 1pp server I play on, but servers like DayZRP and others where I don't plan on fighting much I use 3pp just because.

Us 1pp stay on 3pp, you 3pp stay in 3pp. Simple, don't fuck with each others gameplay.

You realize that as soon as official servers go to 1pp then everyone else will play on 3pp non official servers? Lemme guess, people will demand that either ALL servers be 1pp of only official servers are allowed.

Jesus people, I like both. I prefer 1pp for the PoV I get that puts me in the zone somehow, but really. Stop trying to fuck up each others playing.

• Like 1

There is nothing being taken personal lol, this is a forum, I have the right to speak and all that jazz, if you can't give any constructive opinions then fair enough, im trying to talk about horror/survival immersion differences with 3rd and 1st person and your not exactly being civil.

and I think your conclusion on me is that im a 100% 1st person DayZ player, well obviously not, at some point we all have to dive in the shallow end of the water for our friends sake :)

Could you quote for me the part where i said you don't have the right to speak? What i said is that you have an elitist overtone to your communication that doesn't have any basis. You hint that people who do not play your way are somehow less skilled, or even worth less in general than those who do. You make out with your language that 3PP is somehow easier, while also complaining that others have had an unfair advantage against you due to wall peeking etc. The fundamental flaw in your case being that everyone on a 3PP server has the same set of advantages against each other, meaning it is neither easier nor harder on anyone unless one party chooses not to use the advantage presented yet still plays on a 3PP server. I'd also be interested to see you quote where i was in some way uncivil, rather than factual. You also stated that 3PP is for "people who don't want to be nice" which is absolutely false.

With that out of the way, i re-iterate :

Can anyone deliver a serious reason to change ALL public servers to 1PP rather than just have an even split?

..//..

DayZ is not dissimilar to Rust, there was minimal backlash when 3rd person perspective was removed from Rust and Brian isn't suggesting something that extreme anyway.

LoL -  you're comparing this game to Rust in 1pp?

- why not compare it to Doom3, that was 1pp and nobody complained either

Oh wait you're serious, let me laugh even harder.

For immersion there is little to no arguments that could support 3pp vs 1pp. For PvP it is the obviously better choice, especially if your gaming style is competitive but I would be more inclined to visit 1pp by default if there were more servers full up for sure.

But these hybrids have to go unless it's some sort of private setup because that becomes grossly unfair as soon as it is a 2v1 situation. If we were forced to a camera per-server then at least this could be curtailed, but now if you are engaging two targets they can use the different cameras at different times and give themselves a huge advantage over a barricaded individual who could have had the element of surprise otherwise. Which could be a VERY useful tactic in this game but is completely negated by stupid around the corner no risk looking.

Can anyone deliver a serious reason to change ALL public servers to 1PP rather than just have an even split?

Think about the zombies and animals. They don't have 3PP. You can abuse the view against the AI, which kills some of the experience. People mostly argue 3PP is PvP issue but it isn't only that. It's also issue in PvE.

Also if all the public servers would be forced to use 1PP, then it would be possible only removing it from the vanilla game. This topic is about official servers, not about all public servers. The devs have said it now so many times that 3PP option is kept in the game so no worries. But I still hope they would have balls remove it and bring down the experience on the same level for everyone. It's just not my call to do it.

This thread. It's like watching a chick go back to an abusive boyfriend or watching a dear friend backslide into heavy cocaine use. We all know how this story ends people. Grimey Rick shows up and at least 2 people get a one week ban. Then the topic gets locked and nothing was accomplished. Why must we go through this over and over?

• Like 5

LoL -  you're comparing this game to Rust in 1pp?

- why not compare it to Doom3, that was 1pp and nobody complained either

Oh wait you're serious, let me laugh even harder.

Yes mate, this early access post apocalyptic survival game is totally incomparable with this other early access post apocalyptic survival game that was inspired by it. I'm sure that there is absolutely no cross contamination between these two irreconcilably different player bases and any lessons learned during the development process of one have no relevance whatsoever for the other. Hicks know this well, his absolute refusal to engage with Gary is well warranted as any attempt at information transfer is utterly futile. 

• Like 1

I haven't ever said one is better than the other since i know all about opinions. All I've spoken about is the idea some people seem to have that one is a more valid way of playing than the other, which again is a matter of opinion, regardless how much people try to paint it as fact.

Interesting points so far (kind of) but still missing the point i was trying to get at. I should clarify i guess, i didn't ask for reasons why one or the other view restriction is better, more fair or more valid. I asked for reasons to change -> ALL <- public servers to 1PP -> RATHER THAN <- just have an even split. Sorry i should have worded it more carefully the first time  :huh: .

I haven't ever said one is better than the other since i know all about opinions. All I've spoken about is the idea some people seem to have that one is a more valid way of playing than the other, which again is a matter of opinion, regardless how much people try to paint it as fact.

Interesting points so far (kind of) but still missing the point i was trying to get at. I should clarify i guess, i didn't ask for reasons why one or the other view restriction is better, more fair or more valid. I asked for reasons to change -> ALL <- public servers to 1PP -> RATHER THAN <- just have an even split. Sorry i should have worded it more carefully the first time  :huh: .

I would imagine it is because there would be more of an onus placed on it so newcomers would be more inclined to go for the official route. The intended design for the experience in the game. 3pp would still be there, just not actively supported as the true DayZ experience.

• Like 4

Having all public servers 1pp Isn't what Brian is suggesting though, he is talking about making all official servers 1pp which are the servers without owners that server providers are contractually obliged to run alongside the servers people pay for.

The reasoning behind this potential change is that Hicks wants 1pp to be the vanilla DayZ experience, probably because he thinks it is better.

• Like 2

Ah man i actually meant Official servers, as in what the twitter post was about. My bad for poor memory, bean related apology for the confusion :o

Edited by KenoSkir88
  • Like 1

Firstly, from digging through Scotch and Pugs, and because I don't care to know why or how Twitter works, it would appear that the quote was a response from Hicks to a suggestion by a single player.  There is a string maybe 4 deep of other players giving similar suggestions or replying in a positive manner.  So it would seem that the suggestion was a passing one, and there is little if any basis for this threads existence given that it indeed adds nothing to the 'debate, and due to the emotive and passionate response that it gives time and time again, since dayZSA inception, ad nauseam.

It is therefore my suggestion that the thread be locked, and all closet 1pp players that so vocally provide their opinion (or more correctly: continue to attack the passive 3pp crowd) and return to playing DayZSA on 3pp servers as the server list suggests.

*opens beer and waits patiently for Rick*

Edited by q.S Sachiel

You make out with your language that 3PP is somehow easier, while also complaining that others have had an unfair advantage against you due to wall peeking etc. The fundamental flaw in your case being that everyone on a 3PP server has the same set of advantages against each other, meaning it is neither easier nor harder on anyone unless one party chooses not to use the advantage presented yet still plays on a 3PP server.

What if everyone starts with M4s and unlimited magazines? It's all equal, so don't worry. How about everyone gets wallhacks? It's all equal, so don't worry. You upset that somebody was hiding inside a wall killed you without you ever seeing them? It's perfectly fair because you could have been hiding inside that wall as well. Your reasoning is flawed.

People play 3pp for the same reason "HIGH LOOT, 24/7 DAY, INCREASED VEHICLE SPAWNS" draw in the crowds - even though server owners have no control over spawn rates. It's easier. Why risk your neck leaning round a wall when you can use your clairvoyant powers to see the world from 3 feet above your head? Why pick a sniping position that is both concealed and provides a good field of view when you can just lie prone on a roof, use your powers to spot a target, crouch, shoot and go prone again? Because people want servers to have a ton of loot, does that mean houses should be overflowing with guns? What if you want a survival experience where resources are scarce, but the only populated servers are "M4 FOR FRESHIES, BEREZINO DEATHMATCH"? Imagine, then, that the devs proposed that official servers - and only the official servers - would provide the ideal DayZ experience with scarce loot, survival elements, all that jazz but then a swarm of 13-year-olds said "you're just appealing to the minority, the numbers speak for themselves - the survival crowd can play on their own servers if they want to." That'd be pretty shitty, right? It'd be kind of like buying Counter-Strike hoping for a competitive shooter, only to find that it's overrun with surf and deathrun.

The devs want people to play in a certain way. They are designing the game in a certain way. They know that removing 3pp would cause a backlash (which is a shame) which is likely why they've said they'll never get rid of it. What they're trying to do is steer people towards the 'proper' way to play by effectively setting the 'default' settings to be 1pp. There are more than enough 3pp servers that I'm sure people will flock to if 1pp is forced on official servers. I fail to see the problem with the devs setting up their own servers to play how they want the game to play.

• Like 4

Incoming 3rd person hacks in 3.. 2.. 1..

What if everyone starts with M4s and unlimited magazines? It's all equal, so don't worry. How about everyone gets wallhacks? It's all equal, so don't worry. You upset that somebody was hiding inside a wall killed you without you ever seeing them? It's perfectly fair because you could have been hiding inside that wall as well. Your reasoning is flawed.

No, you didn't buy a game with those features as active.

You bought a game with 3pp and 1pp camera features.

Also the moon is cheese, this supports my point because bacon.

Get it?

Lets try to preserve a shred of rationale to the attack on 3pp players please guys.

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 1

People play 3pp for the same reason "HIGH LOOT, 24/7 DAY, INCREASED VEHICLE SPAWNS" draw in the crowds - even though server owners have no control over spawn rates. It's easier. Why risk your neck leaning round a wall when you can use your clairvoyant powers to see the world from 3 feet above your head? Why pick a sniping position that is both concealed and provides a good field of view when you can just lie prone on a roof, use your powers to spot a target, crouch, shoot and go prone again? Because people want servers to have a ton of loot, does that mean houses should be overflowing with guns? What if you want a survival experience where resources are scarce, but the only populated servers are "M4 FOR FRESHIES, BEREZINO DEATHMATCH"? Imagine, then, that the devs proposed that official servers - and only the official servers - would provide the ideal DayZ experience with scarce loot, survival elements, all that jazz but then a swarm of 13-year-olds said "you're just appealing to the minority, the numbers speak for themselves - the survival crowd can play on their own servers if they want to." That'd be pretty shitty, right? It'd be kind of like buying Counter-Strike hoping for a competitive shooter, only to find that it's overrun with surf and deathrun.

The devs want people to play in a certain way. They are designing the game in a certain way. They know that removing 3pp would cause a backlash (which is a shame) which is likely why they've said they'll never get rid of it. What they're trying to do is steer people towards the 'proper' way to play by effectively setting the 'default' settings to be 1pp. There are more than enough 3pp servers that I'm sure people will flock to if 1pp is forced on official servers. I fail to see the problem with the devs setting up their own servers to play how they want the game to play.

I'm amazed anyone could so completely misunderstand literally everything they read and say as you friend.

"People play 3pp for the same reason "HIGH LOOT, 24/7 DAY, INCREASED VEHICLE SPAWNS"

The name of the server has absolutely 0 relevance to the subject, which is camera restriction. Your standard juvenile pasting of everyone who disagrees with you as "13-year-olds" makes you sound just like every other internet-big-man out there, and detracts from your point (if you had one). Your point about how no game should be played any other way than how the developers originally meant it to be, no matter how you try to insert references to hacking to bolster your argument, shows a complete lack of understanding of the subject matter. For example i doubt that when they developed Arma2, BI designed it to one day support zombies - again YOUR logic is flawed since this popular aftermarket modification is the entire reason you have a game to make ill educated posts about in the first place.

"the survival crowd can play on their own servers if they want to. That'd be pretty shitty, right? It'd be kind of like buying Counter-Strike hoping for a competitive shooter, only to find that it's overrun with surf and deathrun."

Again no, it would be like buying counter-strike hoping for a competitive shooter, only to find out that you can play it exactly how you want and so can everyone else simply by choosing the correct server, since various tastes are catered for B)

You see try as you might with references to hacking and sweeping insults against most of the player base, you cannot turn this into a 1PP vs 3PP argument with me. I support both, and the VAST majority of players agree as demonstrated by all the rental servers being set by choice to 3PP. You can't say that 3PP is easier due to wall peeking etc, and in the same breath say it's harder due to people being able to wall peek you when you can't see them. But since this isn't a 1PP vs 3PP discussion it's all pretty meaningless anyway.

You may as well have left the post empty and just let your signature do the talking, since your post and sig contain a similar amount of actual content once all the posturing is removed. In a game founded on an alteration of another game, you are attacking anyone's desire to play it any differently to how you would like it played.. Is it sinking in yet? Choices are ok maybe? People can enjoy something without your permission? Diddums.

Also the moon is cheese, this supports my point because bacon.

Get it?

Infuriating isn't it :rolleyes:. Beanz to sooth the pain.

Edited by KenoSkir88