SMoss

Status Report - 15 Oct 2015

About contamined area :
- Will it be distinguishable (ei : misty gas pocket, particle, ...) or will it require a kind of device detector ?
- Will delimitation area be transitional (low risk on the edge) ? Could the area dynamically change (size,shape,position) or scatter/expell cloudlets across the map ? and even could be fully generated (tool for futur BR mod & SGZ event)?

Edited by JiJi
  • Like 1

Hi all. Just have some questions about gathering and medicins.

Q. Is it still plan to have a herbs gathering system? (can't wait to farm mushrooms & stuff)

Q. There was a cannabis plant model from the gamefiles a few months ago. Is it plan to implement them? And if so, what will be the point? Medicinal or just getting high? (Same question for the psylo mushrooms we have seen once from the game files).

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Edit: ... Extra question: Is it still plan to have a snowy area? :-D

Edited by Johnny LaTruite

Hey, Can you share some infos on tracking others players ? Will we be able to follow footprints, blood splatters, empty cans, smokes, etc... ?

If so, how long will they last ? From what distance will we be able to see those ?

• Like 1

1) Some time ago a region map was posted and the northern part was region 2 ( https://forums.dayzg...rt-09-jun-2015/) and so the Tisy base would also be in region 2. I think it would be kind of strange if you only get the region 2 loot in a contaminated high risk military base. Maybe you can explain the region concept a bit more detailed or how the new base will fit in this concept!

2) Will the region concept also restrict the loot of dynamic events?

3) You did already mention that the number of spawn points for dynamic events will be increased. Does this also mean there will be more police cars/helicopter crashes in the northern part of the map? If you spawn in Svet and travel west to the NWAF you have less dynamic event spawn locations compared to a Cherno spawn.

Edited by bingo_fuel

We don't have anything cookie cutter, everything was made by hand - by some awesome artists. Repeating models, textures, etc is just a reality of game development. Especially in larger worlds.

We don't have any plans to change static objects in structures to active dynamic physical objects at this time.

Q1.0:

follow-up question: i was wondering if there was a possibility to have modular interiors at some point maybe even a tool so that the community would be able to lay its hands on creating different interiors for different buildings? e.g. for each community building you have let's say 2 or 3 different modules (different objects or just placement of objects) for each room. So buildings could end up looking always a tad different inside.

Q1.1:

to sum all that up into a basic question: are all these objects placed manually/by hand in the buildings all around the map or are the interiors inherent elements of these buildings?

thanks as always!

Edited by joe_mcentire

As a player that started with dayz (never played arma at all before getting dayz) one thing that has always bothered me is this bleeding effect. I assume with new features coming in this will be changed, can you describe how it might end up looking or how you would like it to be?

A couple months ago we got look at what the new HUD might look like. Can we expect to see this added soon or will it be pushed out with the new UI?

Also, I'm incredibly stoked about the radio changes coming in 0.59. Do you have any plans to expand radio mechanics in 0.59 aside from the range increase?

Thanks Brian!

Ok i got a few questions but im not sure if someone already ask it.

1. Will we be able to carry a second Backpack in our hands maybe with both hands or move a bit slower when we do that?

2. Is there a chance that we will get different weather like snow maybe after 1.0?

3. Are there any plans on water vehicles like small boats or something like that?

4. When will the Radio be in game maybe 0.59 or is it spawning and only extremly Rare?

Edited by xCrankx

I don't like that generic rusty texture for damaged car parts. It doesn't make any sense that doors become rusty when they get shot. Especially on the interior side. Any chance it will be replaced by custom made damaged textures?

sorry if I missed the answer to this question, but I too am hoping this is going to improved on? Shooting a few bullets into a car door makes it fall off the hinges? Sorry that just really really bugs me and I certainly hope they will be improving on that. I was expecting bullet holes before a weathered looking door/truck/fender. Bullet holes also to me would be much more realistic and be able to tell a story of the vehicle's past.

IMHO the only thing that should take a door off its hinges is brute force caused by running into a stationary object, hitting another car/truck etc or an explosive device. It just seems so cheap looking at its current state. 

Again, I'm sorry I didn't have time to read through the rest of the posts to find more answers; I'll have more time tomorrow to do so but seeing that video just forced a response that I felt was needed. I truly hope this is going to be changed/improved upon. 

• Like 2

Hi Brian.

Can you provide insight into these two items?

1: Will the Audio Module you mentioned earlier in this thread have the ability, and do you plan on using it for the added effects of weapon sounds and metallic/world object sounds reverberating (echoing) off into the distance? There is some great work being done in ARMA3 that, IMHO, massively increases the immersion and "fear" within the game. I am pleased you mentioned earlier that the Audio side of things is still far from fleshed-out, but a lot of focus seems to be on the local (close proximity to the individual player) sounds when I feel that adding audio cues to give the player a broader awareness of potential dangers farther away would be time better served.

2: Has the Inventory screen and functionality thereof been examined any further, or has the .58EXP Opt-in version been given the green light?

Many contributors have added their feedback on this element and I am wondering if there has been thought given to perhaps a more user-inspired look and feel to it.

I have not noticed a direct reference to the UI and related game elements so can you update us on when we might see more on this, and if a re-think is in progress?

Thanks again.

(You hit the Gym? I thought you had enough exercise carrying the rest of the dev team around on your shoulders...)

• Like 1

sorry if I missed the answer to this question, but I too am hoping this is going to improved on? Shooting a few bullets into a car door makes it fall off the hinges? Sorry that just really really bugs me and I certainly hope they will be improving on that. I was expecting bullet holes before a weathered looking door/truck/fender. Bullet holes also to me would be much more realistic and be able to tell a story of the vehicle's past.

IMHO the only thing that should take a door off its hinges is brute force caused by running into a stationary object, hitting another car/truck etc or an explosive device. It just seems so cheap looking at its current state. 

Again, I'm sorry I didn't have time to read through the rest of the posts to find more answers; I'll have more time tomorrow to do so but seeing that video just forced a response that I felt was needed. I truly hope this is going to be changed/improved upon. 

this was obviously an earlier wip video. one to showcase the mechanic. you're not supposed to see the finished and polished implementation here. i think that's indisputable

• Like 1

I got a really important topic what should be a must have for the future.

My question is:

Will it be possible in the future that the grass will render from a far distance too? not only in a player radius of (for example) 100meters.

For my opinion its really really important for many things like hiding and optics 'n more

• Like 1

also a question regarding the infected:

you surely know that one "famous" community made video (DayZ: The Horror) where different sounds are used to enhance a typical dayz-scenario. the one at night where the zeds come running screaming in agony.

we've heard early audio-snippets some time ago (trello: new zed sounds wip - 1, 2, 3) with zeds gurgling and making more animalistic, creature-like sounds. is this the general direction you want to see atmosphere-wise?

My personal opinion is that these humane sounding screams and the agony and pain they convey would make a far better impact on the overall atmosphere. beings, which, on a certain level still express - even if undeliberate or totally random - feelings. bursting into maniac laughter, screaming, yelling, hell even humming weird melodies.

i think a more humane take would quadruple the fear factor :)

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 5

Hey Brian, thanks for doing this. 

1) Will we ever see things like water catchers and primitive shelter "recipes" (lean-tos, etc)

2) Will truck inventories eventually fit things like military and car tents? Also, will we be able to carry military tents and backpacks (empty) in our hands someday? 

3) Are roaming hordes being considered? Maybe as a random events or something? It'd be amazing to have a horde wander through a camp or be able to do a Walking Dead and guide them into areas with flares/noise.

4) Is this what it sounds like, when the doves cry?

• Like 1

Hello from Czech Republic (usti - home of dayZ :D)

I like to ask some questions. (sr for bad english)

1) Are you planning to make a zombies from death players? (I mean if you die you become a zombie)

2) What about shooting from 2 guns in row? (CR75 left and right hand)

3) What about rafts and more Islands in future?

4) Are you planning to make forest more interesting? (Bears, mushrooms, snakes etc)

5) Will be possible in the game to throw knife on someone and kill him?

6) Is Zombie Horde coming soon? ( I mean 0.60 0.61 or 0.62)

7) What can we expect in 0.60 - 0.65

Thanks for your time, bye.

Edited by Fensalir

It is truly frustrating, I agree, to see time in the dev cycle being allocated for things like the "Pop-a-Matic Car".

I honestly think that some of the team become too focused on "cute/cool" little things without being kept on-task.

The mechanic shown in the SR for the doors being shot off is simply un-realistic and I am surprised it was allowed to get this far.

I am also peeved that so much time is being given to game mechanics that are only present within the immediate world of the individual player's perspective.

Can we just move on from seeing how cool the weapon models are, and maybe spruce up other objects?

Can you guys spend more cycles on making the player feel uneasy and threatened by the world, instead of making him think "wow, my MP5 makes a really cool animation when I reload it!"?

Sorry, but the excitement in Brian's blurb about the car damage sends warning signals to me. I truly hope they are a lot closer to the Beta release than I think, as tangents such as this are just pointless fluff. 

• Like 2

This was in reference to Riddlers' post

"sorry if I missed the answer to this question, but I too am hoping this is going to improved on? Shooting a few bullets into a car door makes it fall off the hinges? Sorry that just really really bugs me and I certainly hope they will be improving on that. I was expecting bullet holes before a weathered looking door/truck/fender. Bullet holes also to me would be much more realistic and be able to tell a story of the vehicle's past.

IMHO the only thing that should take a door off its hinges is brute force caused by running into a stationary object, hitting another car/truck etc or an explosive device. It just seems so cheap looking at its current state"

• Like 1

-snip-

If you read the status report as well as watching the video, you'll see that Brian agrees with you. 

The behavior in the video is purely for test purposes. While we're happy with how each part has its own "hit point" value - and can be damaged/destroyed - the behavior of the part "falling off" of the vehicle works for some, but not necessarily for all....personally while I love each part being able to be damaged individually from the parent vehicle, and that change being visual to players as they attack the vehicle I'd much rather have the part be "non usable" when destroyed. Such as a door that is destroyed being "jammed" and not openable without an action, or a tool being used to force it open.

• Like 2

Will there be any more explosive weapons? AT, more AP or AA options? Armored vehicles or suchlike? Is there any concern amongst the devs that bases will be easy to spot and locate, once they are implemented, due to the relatively small size of the map, having a lot of towns and populated places and such? If so, any plans to remedy this, and how would it be remedied?

Is it still planned to be able to "lock down" a city or area, effectively removing zombies from that particular area while it is in such a state? Any plans on underground or similiar areas with the new renderer, or will we have to stick with above ground?

Edited by Santa fox

Since you removed the LRS from the Mosin for realism, does that mean that the Hunting Scope will magnify to 12x like a real one, also will we be seeing Milidots on any of the scopes?

I do apologize, if this was answered before. 

But is there any change in response to the the stance system coming to DayZ from ArmA 3?

DayZ is a very hardcore game, and having the ability to utilize any cover in any situation is quite critical. Since we only have one life to go on before we die and re-spawn. 

* There is already a sitting stance animation, were we can aim our weapons while sitting, wondering if this is going to be expanded?

This feature would lessen the number of times players try to get and angle to shoot another player, without exposing too much and getting counter-attacked too easy.

I e got quite a few new features thqt u could add to dayz sa. This is just like ideas im not demanding these.

NV: night time even with brightness+gamma turned up to max is still a pain in the ass and nv would make it awesome

More scopes: thermal would be cool but op so im going with a few cool scopes.

makeshift: crafted with binoculars and duct tape

PSO-3: basically a PSO1 scope with more zoom

LR: plz bring back my baby

More attachments:

Rangefinder: attaches tp the undebarrel pf say an SVD or ak w/rail, allows u to calculate range

Laser sight: would really help with say red dot with no battery or hipfire

Foregrip: increases accuracy overall

Grenade launcher: BRING IN THE BAD BOY

Range increasers like a muzzle brake and so on

Just some ideas for dayz's future.

Peace

PS: also bring back NE airfield's military buildings

this was obviously an earlier wip video. one to showcase the mechanic. you're not supposed to see the finished and polished implementation here. i think that's indisputable

See that's what bothers me the most....the mechanics of what?  A vehicle's condition based on getting shot up with small arms fire? That's what going to happen in this game if you shoot at a vehicle multiple times? Surely hope not; 

Now if that WIP video is to show what will happen after having a vehicle for a long time being effected by weather, wear and tear etc and damage as I outlined in my first post; ok that's more realistic. Parts will rust, things will wear out with use, but certainly not from putting some bullets into it..........

• Like 1

They are here to stay.

regarding the apartments: please for the sake of proper barricading and base building, can we have functional doors then at some point? there a 0 functional doors per building as yet.

• Like 5

apart from long distance sniping there's no good reason to aim down the sights of a gun, is this intentional?

We can shoot more accurately and quickly without aiming down the sights. imo that's a shame.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 9