Jex

How to Fix the Fashion Issue

I don't agree. I think it's entirely realistic for me to shove a raincoat into my backpack and put it on when it starts raining. That's exactly what I used to do as a boy scout when we were on long hikes. Perhaps make it 99% waterproof and make them harder to find, but it should still be an easy means of allowing me to operate in the rain with drastically minimized negative effects.

Besides, adventures like this one wouldn't be possible otherwise: http://imgur.com/a/feGuA. That night was SO MUCH FUN.

Protecting yourself in the rain is significantly easier than staying dry during a swim, but I'm sure you know that  :P

I don't see a need for improvised rain gear unless they make raincoats harder to find. As it is, they take up very little inventory space and can be put on at a moment's notice.

As Gary said, each item of clothing has a few given properties including insulation and absorption. Studying those values in the files is exactly what led us to choosing a particular loadout for our swim to Debug Island -- maximizing insulation and completely eliminating absorption.

Yes, things like the raincoat should fit in one square if the don't rework the inv system and it should go "over" whatever you're wearing and not replace it. You got time to make a billion clothes in the art department, they got time to remodel the AV's to have 2 sets of clothing on.

Edited by Jexter
  • Like 1

We should maybe spawn with tracksIuit pants instead of jeans as well.....I have never felt the need to swap from 4 slot jeans to 2 slot trackies.

• Like 5

You're wearing that in RL right now??? :o

:P :D

I will be once I get ready to go out. No gloves though, not cold enough.

Proof:

vje1q9d.jpg

L

Edited by orlok
  • Like 1

-snip-

Proof:

-snip-

L

A post apocalyptic cowboy who is his own horse.

Now I've seen everything.

It's too bad we can't have a cubic volume based inventory system.

Bag holds 100 cubic inches of volume at x amount wide and x amount deep.

Anything within these parameters + anything that could completely fill volume in space constraints would fit in the bag.

• Like 3

Hello there

Ive said it before and I'll say it again.

Inventory systems are so 1987

trdGBcU.jpg

IMHO it needs a drastic rethink, not just DAYZ, rather all games.

Rdgs

LoK

Am I the only one perfectly content to run around Chernarus in an outfit that I would typically actually have personal access to irl?

I dont want to be waterproof.  I dont want to carry a tent's worth of supplies on my back.  I want to have to make difficult choices as to what few supplies I can carry with me.  I don't care if I am visible or not; shit my favorite jacket is the orange or yellow quilted.  My starting jeans are just fine.  A pair of hiking boots makes sense. 

64+ items slot capacity with an automatic gun, 300+ rounds and camo everything thats waterproof just seems to negate much of the challenge the game presents at present.  Dare I say, easymode?

I tend to go with a hoody or wool jacket and cargo trousers, something I would be happy with in real life every day so I totally agree with you! Team that with the the taloon backpack and I am a happy individual :)

• Like 1

I will be once I get ready to go out. No gloves though, not cold enough.

Proof:

vje1q9d.jpg

L

I clicked open spoiler expecting assless chaps.

I did not see assless chaps.

I am much disappoint.

You will need to work hard to get back in my good books orlok.

work hard in assless chaps that is...

• Like 1

We should maybe spawn with tracksIuit pants instead of jeans as well.....I have never felt the need to swap from 4 slot jeans to 2 slot trackies.

You don't need to it's for the Liverpudlians. You wear them with shoes, not trainers/sneakers with the socks pull over the ankles of the tracksuit them all you need is the wig!

• Like 2

Yeah it seems like Gorka and raincoat are pretty much the only things you see people wearing. All clothes should be water resistant to some extent, but shouldn't be 100% waterproof. Would also be nice if hats, trousers and shoes contributed to dryness, since it doesn't make sense that a rain coat should keep you 100% dry.

All clothes should have pros and cons, with higher-end clothing having fewer cons. Gorka could maybe be highly water resistant, but have a smaller carry capacity than other military gear. Rain coats could maybe only have 2 slots, or 4 horizontal slots like the rider's jacket.

Would also be nice if hats/helmets were affected similarly. Currently there's no point - besides aesthetics - in not wearing a helmet. You can be knocked out in one punch, so why would you not wear a motorcycle helmet? I'd argue in favour of maybe reduced vision or some other drawback when wearing a motorcycle helmet, or maybe hats like beanies could be buffed to provide a lot of warmth while cowbow/boonie/whatever hats are buffed to provide water protection while helmets (with the exception of military helmets, and for the sake of balance) only provide damage protection and are not waterproof or warm. 

Being required to wear different clothes for different weather conditions would encourage players to carry spare sets of clothing. It'd also mean players would have to dry their clothes and take shelter more, rather than yoloing it because raincoats make them impervious to rain. 

You don't need to it's for the Liverpudlians. You wear them with shoes, not trainers/sneakers with the socks pull over the ankles of the tracksuit them all you need is the wig!

Played DayZ a few days ago with a friend. We roleplayed as Slavs. Tracksuits, leather shoes and flat caps, saying cheeki breeki at every possible opportunity. My only regret is that we can't squat.

Edited by BeefBacon
  • Like 2

• Like 1

In RL you would want to be waterproof. Do you walk outside and get soaking wet in your normal clothes?

Yes.  When I walk in the rain with clothes on, I get wet and cold.   Then I either dry those clothes or put on new ones, once I am out of the rain.  Just like i would do in the game.  To wear everything waterproof is to remove one of the survival experiences in the game.  I don't play the game to dodge the experiences presented by it.

Hello there

trdGBcU.jpg

-snip-

LoK

Played Dungeon Master on the Amiga....

Have recently enjoyed Legend of Grimrock 2 which is the spiritual successor.

I also agree that game inventories can be handled in much more dynamic fashion and it is unfortunate that people/the industry hasn't seen this.

One thing we can consider as far as pockets/slots are concerned is the impact that weight will have on just how much stuff we carry normally and what we stash.

I doubt most people will want to carry a full mountain backpack and full high cap clothing if all they can do is walk....so maybe weight helps balance this.

I don't think we have to worry too much about lack of civilian clothes in the future due to eventual rarity of the military gear and possibly new civilian articles to widen the pool/selection even more.

My two cents:

Gorka is the best balance of camouflage, carrying capacity, and protection from the elements. That's why everyone wears it. There should be civilian analogues of most military gear barring, of course, things that there aren't reasonable civilian counterparts for like grenades or AKM with a drum mag. Perks from military gear should come in the form of things like the Plate Carrier which offers an unbeatable combination of style and capacity but that comes together as a result of scrounging for the pieces. Surviving a military location once or twice is no big deal. Checking them constantly to finish a set requires patience and skill. Civilian top end gear can simply be controlled through rarity and can also require piecing together sets. After all, as someone who spends an obnoxious amount of time meticulously looting every nook and cranny of civilian areas, I can say without a doubt that items like the Winchester are desperately needed in the civilian loot pool. Moar "holy shit look what I found in this random shack in the middle of the woods!" plox. Either way, most of this is a symptom of alpha and I would advise patience in addition to discussions like this.

EDIT: Also as a bit of an add-on that just popped into my head, military gear is made by the lowest bidder almost universally. Civilian gear can be as well made and fantastic as you can afford. I would much rather stumble across something like this (http://www.sosproducts.com/Two-Person-Emergency-Survival-Kit-Backpack-p/240.htm) in some random house in the woods than a SPOSN. And that's not even a great example of what I mean. There are some really nice (and pricey) civilian items that could rarely exist in a game like DayZ. 

Edited by ColdAtrophy

Usually: 3-4 canteens or water bottles, 4-6 cans of food, 2 sets of rags, a pistol, a smg/sawed off shotgun, a splint/morphine (if possible 2 morphines), a compass, a sewing kit, a leather kit, a can opener, a knife, cooking equipment, matches, ammunition for weapons I own

Sometimes: a melee weapon or two, fishing equipment, binoculars or a scope if gun has not, stuff to get a truck going, vitamins, heat packs, paint, attachments for weapons I might find, ammunition for weapons I might find

Water is plentiful, you really don't need to carry that much, takes less then 5 minutes to find a watering hole!

4-6 cans of food?  Are you just sitting around doing nothing for hours at a time?

Without Zombies, one set of rags or a bandage will suffice.

If you already have a pistol, do you need a sawn off shotgun?

Sticks can be found pretty much everywhere.  No need to carry a built one with you.

Sewing and leather kits are found every bloody where, no real need to have one with you at all times.

A stone knife is all the knife you need.  tbh, you don't even need a can opener if you have the one slot goodness of a stone knife!

Cooking equipment?  Use a stick like a real man!

Real men can use nature to provide us with fire.  No need for matches anymore.

I'm a terrible shot, but I've never needed a gazillion rounds of ammo.  I've found one full stack to be enough to get the job done.

Drop all the tat you don't really need, bro and you too can feel the freedom that only a nice, soft, 2-stripe lesiure suit can provide. 

• Like 2

Drop all the tat you don't really need, bro and you too can feel the freedom that only a nice, soft, 2-stripe lesiure suit can provide. 

Hey bro I respect your style, but since you have some reservations about mine, I'll tell you exactly why all this crap is needed  )))

So, I don't role play as such, but it's easily boring to do the same thing over and over, so I play these different self given missions. For example in one server I mainly stay solo, neutral and just observe, for example if I hear a firefight, I sneak to as close as I can, just to have a look without taking any real part in the action. Of course I'll drop rags to a bleeding fresh spawn etc. but generally avoid shooting. And sometimes, with luck, I spot a group who are on their way to inland, and then I just follow them around the map. It may sound weird, but why I like it, is because since I did my service I've thought reconnaissance is pretty much the coolest thing you can do in the army. Traditionally those guys really take risks and use their heads, they follow and observe the enemy troops much larger than their few men squads, try to remain hidden from hostile eyes and avoid direct confrontation since obviously they are nearer to enemy concentrations than their own. I don't think there are other games which you could play these missions, after all the whole Chernarus can be described as potentially hostile area.

Why I carry water is in these follow & observe missions I can't exactly go to a well whenever I like without loosing the track or without getting into a firefight. Same thing with food. The risk of being spotted grows all the time and if you are spotted, as you can imagine there's not always time or space for a friendly chat. When compromized, I only take an aimed shot if the other guy is really near trying to kill me, but, as a rule I just fire back to supress so I will have a better chance to flee, without like four guys who suddenly are aware of my presence freely chasing me guns blazing. I also really hate situations when I can't return fire, with my nature it's easier to be flexible than passive. This is also the reason I don't like to surrender easily. I suspect, that if you drop all your weapons and do whatever they say, there's like a 80% chance to get killed anyway.

Having different weapons serves more than one or two purpose. It's faster to run with a pistol than a rifle, but firing with two big guns might make them think there are more than just one guy, and I've seen a group taking a hike immediately when I changed location and started using a Mosin after initial shotgun shots I just took to keep the nearest away. While withdrawing, firing and changing location is often the key, and you can't exactly do that if your leg is shot, nor have time to start chopping sticks - so therefore the splint/morphine. And two sets of rags, as I keep other set in pants - as six rags can be all ruined by the same shot which can break your leg.

Although it's fun to sneak close enough to hear them speak if they're not in TS etc. but all and all, if I play missions like these I like to have a healthy distance, stay on top of things and try to be one step ahead. Of course things don't go my way most of the time. Like I get cold or drenched and need to make a fire, while the group is leaving for the next place. But basically I like to carry some stuff to not get into a firefight and the other stuff to survive the firefight. I still don't survive as much as would like to, but at times I've managed to kept myself unnoticed for a long time, and got out of nasty situations intact or just wounded but alive. BTW after telling all this, do I need to tell why I prefer green/military/camo clothing even when it's not raining? )))

• Like 1

I don't agree. I think it's entirely realistic for me to shove a raincoat into my backpack and put it on when it starts raining. That's exactly what I used to do as a boy scout when we were on long hikes. Perhaps make it 99% waterproof and make them harder to find, but it should still be an easy means of allowing me to operate in the rain with drastically minimized negative effects.

Besides, adventures like this one wouldn't be possible otherwise: http://imgur.com/a/feGuA. That night was SO MUCH FUN.

That does look like fun but I think it would be more fun if more careful monitoring of body temperature was necessary during such adventures. 

I live in the UK and go hiking a fair bit, when it rains heavily (which it almost always does) you get wet and cold and miserable whatever you are wearing. This doesn't matter because you can go home to get warm and dry but if that wasn't possible, due to the apocalypse for example, then you could end up with health issues ranging from hypothermia to the common cold.

I don't want people to stop playing the game when it's raining, I just want to see a wider range of the mechanics related to keeping warm utilised. 

• Like 1

I don't want people to stop playing the game when it's raining, I just want to see a wider range of the mechanics related to keeping warm utilised. 

Fair enough. That's a perfectly reasonable request  :thumbsup:

They should make it so you can wear layers of clothing. That way you wear a jacket over a shirt and when it rains the jacket becomes wet but not the shirt. For instance you can wear a raincoat over ANY clothing in real life and should be able to do so here. It shouldnt have to be the only thing you wear. The protection from damage that clothes give should also be removed as its quite unrealistic. Only special clothing should give protection like leather, kevlar and vests of different kinds. Definetiely not a holster.

• Like 2

Like the food dynamic the whole dampness and wetness dynamic is just way to over the top.

IRL armies marched and fought and survived for millennium in wool.  Not gortex, not nylon but wool and leather. Not in ancient history very recently and still in many places.

They can do this not  because they are stronger or because it does not  rain where they are, but because short of a monsoon it actually takes a long time to over come a denim jacket with a sweater and tee shirt underneath and damp wool is still warmish. 

The whole "I got rained on I have to light a fire" is actually comical.  If they made that more reasonable then talking about making the rain gear not so gamy would also make sense. But right now rain gear is a gamy solution to a gamy wet dynamic. 

They have to slow a characters reflexes down in heavy gear, so if you try to fight with your ruck on you pay a price.  In a more subtle way they could do the same with wet clothing. 

• Like 1

The whole "I got rained on I have to light a fire" is actually comical.  If they made that more reasonable then talking about making the rain gear not so gamy would also make sense. But right now rain gear is a gamy solution to a gamy wet dynamic.

I agree. I just don't understand why only gorka, raincoat, or firefighter gear gives you weather godmode, and every other article of clothing is completely worthless in the rain. I get "completely drenched" after 20 seconds of drizzle in full ttsko.

Is the absorbency system just not implemented, or fully broken? Then I'd like to hear that from the devs.

If absorbency is actually working, can someone set the config for other clothing to a value higher than 0?

How about clothing being a hindrance to stealth and movement? Large bulky stuff, especially rain gear could make stealth a lot more difficult when trying to keep the noise down, and when crouching and crawling, any vest is going to make it much more difficult to move. Thus, the tracksuit is given value as the ultimate stealth suit.

• Like 1

the new hiking jackets do resist rain long enough for you to get under cover damp. So there is something going on in that department in game.

• Like 1

Is the absorbency system just not implemented, or fully broken? Then I'd like to hear that from the devs.

If absorbency is actually working, can someone set the config for other clothing to a value higher than 0?

I think it's like every other mechanic in the game thus far where they got in the very basic idea and then stop touching it.  Which becomes frustrating after a while when certain clothing items become completely pointless.  I've complained a lot about how I can't wear check shirts any more because you get cold just running around, those were my favorite and were already at a huge disadvantage because of the lack of inventory.

I get that it's alpha still but like you say, it would be nice if they'd tweak it just a little at least.

• Like 1

Hello there

trdGBcU.jpg

IMHO it needs a drastic rethink, not just DAYZ, rather all games.

Rdgs

LoK

You must love 7 Days to Die LMAO!! ;)

Yes.  When I walk in the rain with clothes on, I get wet and cold.   Then I either dry those clothes or put on new ones, once I am out of the rain.  Just like i would do in the game.  To wear everything waterproof is to remove one of the survival experiences in the game.  I don't play the game to dodge the experiences presented by it.

Ok now let's move the setting to one where you're in a survival world. There is no way you're going to get deliberately wet because of the risks associated with that. You might like to get wet and you can do that now anyway. Most people want to stay dry throughout the day - day after day, month after month, year after year.