freethink

pre .59 hype

Yes, I read yesterday's report after my post. The thing is, for a long time, the status was: "infected are coming back in 0.60". Now they are suddenly coming, in some amount, to 0.59.

Games that hit deadlines aren't released broken, as such. Publishers force deadlines on developers, which often forces them to release and later patch. I don't see this as a problem as long as the game is patched at some point. I always waited on buying Arma games, because they basically needed a full year of patching, until they became glitch-free and playable; however, ArmaII is the only game I remember where I got killed during a cutscene ;)

Hitting deadlines is a sign that you are organised and have a development document that ties everything together. With Dayz, yesterdays info is tomorrow's lies. Like when they said zombies will be back for 0.59. Before we heard 0.60 and everybody seems to know something else. They are not tying the same know or at least that's how it feels to me. Dayz should be pretty awesome by now. I look at RUST and the time it took them to come from nothing (they had no Dayz mod as a prototype for 70% of the landscape and 80% of the buildings). RUST has come a long way and looks awesome now, but it looked worse than Dayz mod when they started. ARK is similar though not comparable. These games will be released and part of why they are running strong on Steam is that they make clear announcements about the future updates and mostly stick to them. RUST devs released concepts for their modular cars and they are simple, effective and interesting.

Word. I really, really understand that it's alpha and never frothed about the glitches, but the truth is: 1) devs' own deadlines are not kept and by a wide margin to that. As much as I get that programming is hard, it's Q4 2015 already, guys. We're supposed to be pushing to beta soon. How close is 0.58 to beta? I'm no engineer, but I guess not much. 2) unless I want to play 'loot-die-repeat', which I don't, there is absolutely no reason for me to launch DayZ now. What I love is exploring new content and there wasn't that much of that in the past half a year. I understand that everyone is excited about vehicles and helis, but what I've been waiting for the freakin' bear since February/March and still didn't get it. By December I should be thrilling about befriending animal companions. Now I can only hope they'll get fixed animal wandering by then. Base building? Please.

Just tell us we've got a half-year delay, guys. With at least some apologies it'll be easier to digest.

"Sorry guys, it turned out to be much more work than we expected, now we're hoping to give you beta in mid 2016."

Here, just sign it and we're more or less good, I mean I'm not going to other survival games anyway, I love Chernarus too much.

• Like 1

Hype thread turned into sigh thread. Not like this survivors, not like this...

• Like 1

Hype thread turned into sigh thread. Not like this survivors, not like this...

All we are saying, please stop the going front and backwards all the time. Just a few weaks ago, Hicks showed that heli video and had a speech about how they maybe a month late with the beta, but are otherwise on time...

Confirming and then taking back, assuming what will happen is what we can do on the forums, but it's not what the Devs should do. At this point we should already be playing 0.59, if 0.60 has any chance of making a release until December. And from how I count, the Beta should happen at version 1.0, so it's alright to ask what the fuck is happening. I don't even want to compare Dayz development to any other games, but frankly it is so well organised on the surface and total chaos beneath. And that's exactly how I feel about the development. It's been the worst idea to put this on Early Access without having a plan for developing from an Alpha stage. There are Alphas that show it can be done without rage from any side; or minor rage only ;)

It is a bigger problem that everything about the development seems to be dealing with problem solving. I mean that's part of the creative process, but it shouldn't hinder from designing and developing the actual game. Dayz is far away from being ready for Beta. The patches come slow and slower and aren't really resolving much, just fixing. Yet we have chirpy devs telling us things are going according to plan, though not even the current patch was released, yet; and I'm not even talking about UI design and singleplayer for the Console version. When in 2016 is that gonna happen? It means either hiring yet another team to do the port and singleplayer or splitting up resources from a team that already can't manage the game alone.

It would really help if they just set a date for an update, even if it is weeks away and then stick to that date, hotfixes later. I hate the uncertainty about Dayz updates. What are the Wednesday server wipes for anymore? Evaluating data? They used to be for updating, too.! I'm missing some effort on getting organised and making a team work with deadlines. They are getting paid, it's their job. If I disrespect a client, postpone work without explanation and deliver a broken mess, I'll lose that client and damage my reputation. So instead of thinking only about the game, they should also be thinking about their future in game development. It's gonna be a difficult one for some. Rocket has left the building.

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

And from how I count, the Beta should happen at version 1.0, so it's alright to ask what the fuck is happening.

Far as i know the numbers dont matter in this project.

The patches come slow and slower and aren't really resolving much, just fixing.

And i thought that patches is getting bigger and bigger even those come less frequently.

It would really help if they just set a date for an update, even if it is weeks away and then stick to that date, hotfixes later.

I thought that what they adding next is bit more complicated than just "patch" that can be easily hotfixed later with few lines of code.

Who cares if it get delayed even a year, ive been in this dayz world enough that every delay just makes me hype more.

In the end this is the pre .59 hype :D

Who cares if it get delayed even a year, ive been in this dayz world enough that every delay just makes me hype more.

Well, I do. You sure can be fine with delays, but you can't seriously express surprise that someone is not, can you? Most people consider delays an issue. I wanted to hunt animal predators in Q3, becuse I was promised just that. More than that, I was hoping for beta somewhere early 2016 if not January. Scratch that, actually I just wanted survivalists to have something to do by now. I don't expect it anymore, but some honesty and transparency would be welcome.

• Like 1

Wierd thing is, there are people on both the Rust and Ark forums spouting the same crap.

"why have you released a broken game"

"this game is broken due to hackers"

"base building ruined the game due to poor implementation"

etc

I actually think it is self righteous forum warriors that have changed the way Devs communicate with the community in a lot of ways, hurling abuse at any delay or problematic design decision (ooh pulled that right from the disclaimer you all click 10 times a day). I'm just gonna quote a few random snippets from such warriors :

Dayz should be pretty awesome by now. I look at RUST and the time it took them to come from nothing (they had no Dayz mod as a prototype for 70% of the landscape and 80% of the buildings). RUST has come a long way and looks awesome now, but it looked worse than Dayz mod when they started. ARK is similar though not comparable. These games will be released and part of why they are running strong on Steam is that they make clear announcements about the future updates and mostly stick to them. RUST devs released concepts for their modular cars and they are simple, effective and interesting.

1) DayZ is pretty awesome, in fact it's ground breakingly sweet. Hence why we're all so interested in it both as a concept and as a product.

2) I don't think Dev Reports and their regularity really have anything to do with how much people like a game, the logic is flawed.

All we are saying, please stop the going front and backwards all the time. Just a few weaks ago, Hicks showed that heli video and had a speech about how they maybe a month late with the beta, but are otherwise on time...

He actually said 2 months late. Also here's a quote from another hicks interview : "from the get-go, we told people this was going to be a two-point-five to three-year development cycle. Three years would be standard, but we’re going to try and hit two-and-a-half years, and that would put us in 2016."

They are getting paid, it's their job. If I disrespect a client, postpone work without explanation and deliver a broken mess, I'll lose that client and damage my reputation. So instead of thinking only about the game, they should also be thinking about their future in game development.

Your client pays for your services as detailed in the contract you BOTH agreed upon. Show me the contract in which you are ENTITLED to anything other than "bugs, unfinished features, problematic design decisions, and many more things that disrupt your game experience". BI's future in game development has extremely little to do with their communication with you or any of us, and a lot to do with the end product. It seems like it's actually much more in their interest to take as long as it takes, rather than push out a rushed product to appease a minority of forum complainers.

I wanted to hunt animal predators in Q3, becuse I was promised just that.

You weren't promised anything aside from the above mentioned problematic design decisions and bugs. In reality YOU are adding the word "Promise" to add weight to an argument that has very little substance.

---enough quoting---

I think DayZ is already much more fun than Rust or Ark, and i fully expect it to out live both and games to come after them. I hope the developers take their sweet time and aren't too demoralized by all this rubbish.

• Like 2

You weren't promised anything aside from the above mentioned problematic design decisions and bugs. In reality YOU are adding the word "Promise" to add weight to an argument that has very little substance.

Don't put me in the same bag as whiners, usually I'm the first one to say "calm down, it's still alpha". And when I say 'promise', I was referring to the roadmap 2015. Call me old-fashioned, but I seriously considered it some kind of 'schedule'. Or 'commitment'. From here it's not that far from 'promise'. Long story short, I read about animal predators in Q3 and I actually thought 'cool, there's gonna be animal predators in Q3'. Since there is none, we've got a delay.

Now, it is my personal choice whether to fume about it or not, and although usually I don't such a thing, this time I did since I've been checking this board for quite long, hoping to see any news on 0.59 coming stable. Dunno, maybe I've just got too much time on my hands since right now there is absolutely nothing to do in Chernarus for me.

I know that there are hundreds of dipshits who failed to read with comprehension the 'I understand' message, but that doesn't mean that any remark about pacing is childish whining, especially when said pacing was kinda set out by the devs themselves.

All right, all right, this is my last... well I wouldn't call it a 'rant', but I'm going to shut up anyway and just wait for some new content. People just need to vent sometimes... )

• Like 2

The lack of working and connected (!) gameplay features is my biggest gripe. We have a lot of different economies in the game, but the only one that makes sense now is to loot->stash->loot->kill->repeat.

True, this is the biggest drawback at present - nothing to do and nothing to fear apart from PvP at present.

Dont you people even compare dayz with ark, ark devs pump weekly patches with huge amount of content when in dayz we get a patch with luck every 3 months, dayz devs should look to ark devs and see the good work they are doing, no wonder ark is like the 4th most played game in steam atm.

Edited by Kumando
  • Like 1

Dont you people even compare dayz with ark, ark devs pump weekly patches with huge amount of content when in dayz we get a patch with luck every 3 months, dayz devs should look to ark devs and see the good work they are doing, no wonder ark is like the 4th most played game in steam atm.

Hey i love Ark but H1Z1 is my go to game for the time being for the most part. And i personally would love content to be put in allot more frequently but again its there game and there rules.

Wierd thing is, there are people on both the Rust and Ark forums spouting the same crap.

"why have you released a broken game"

"this game is broken due to hackers"

"base building ruined the game due to poor implementation"

etc

I actually think it is self righteous forum warriors that have changed the way Devs communicate with the community in a lot of ways, hurling abuse at any delay or problematic design decision (ooh pulled that right from the disclaimer you all click 10 times a day). I'm just gonna quote a few random snippets from such warriors :

1) DayZ is pretty awesome, in fact it's ground breakingly sweet. Hence why we're all so interested in it both as a concept and as a product.

2) I don't think Dev Reports and their regularity really have anything to do with how much people like a game, the logic is flawed.

He actually said 2 months late. Also here's a quote from another hicks interview : "from the get-go, we told people this was going to be a two-point-five to three-year development cycle. Three years would be standard, but we’re going to try and hit two-and-a-half years, and that would put us in 2016."

Your client pays for your services as detailed in the contract you BOTH agreed upon. Show me the contract in which you are ENTITLED to anything other than "bugs, unfinished features, problematic design decisions, and many more things that disrupt your game experience". BI's future in game development has extremely little to do with their communication with you or any of us, and a lot to do with the end product. It seems like it's actually much more in their interest to take as long as it takes, rather than push out a rushed product to appease a minority of forum complainers.

---enough quoting---

I think DayZ is already much more fun than Rust or Ark, and i fully expect it to out live both and games to come after them. I hope the developers take their sweet time and aren't too demoralized by all this rubbish.

Is that the case why even bother to released roadmap?....

I still give more respect to dayz over ark and certainly over h1z1 because those devs are working for what makes them the most money and the most popular ... Dayz devs on the other hand have a definite vision and its the exact vision I've had for a zombie game all my life , so I don't really care for how much content is pumped into a game, I got bored of ark after I realized all there is to do is build more cut through content like its a WoW expansion (no exciting pvp like dayz, more like a simplistic cod shooter for h1z1 and a very boring meta game for Ark, pvp isn't exactly adrenaline inducing in ark) . Dayz actually makes me take my time with every little bit of content and I know when it has all the content it's promising its going to be endless fun for those that are still with the zombie concept when it's done (and everyone comes back to zombies at one point in their life Haha).

• Like 2

I still give more respect to dayz over ark and certainly over h1z1 because those devs are working for what makes them the most money and the most popular ... Dayz devs on the other hand have a definite vision and its the exact vision I've had for a zombie game all my life , so I don't really care for how much content is pumped into a game, I got bored of ark after I realized all there is to do is build more cut through content like its a WoW expansion (no exciting pvp like dayz, more like a simplistic cod shooter for h1z1 and a very boring meta game for Ark, pvp isn't exactly adrenaline inducing in ark) . Dayz actually makes me take my time with every little bit of content and I know when it has all the content it's promising its going to be endless fun for those that are still with the zombie concept when it's done (and everyone comes back to zombies at one point in their life Haha).

They have pve servers in H1Z1 that doesn't really focus on the bullshit shoot on site pvp. I prefer those over the pvp ones. Gives me solitude to craft things and improve my base. Hunt for deer, bear and wolves to cook meat with and make bio fuel for vehicles. Besides H1Z1 developers were mainly focused on bug fixes for quite awhile there. But there back on track to adding in more survival elements and to brush up on other things.

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 1

Now that infected are confirmed for 0.59....

YOU BET YOUR ASS I'M FUCKING HYPED!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 5

Is that the case why even bother to released roadmap?....

Because a roadmap gives a guideline for goals for the foreseeable future. To be honest, it was nice of BI to release so much of the development information that they have done so, but they are under no obligation to stick to it like a bible. As long as the end result is what everyone hopes then it shouldn't matter when you get it. If one comes across "bumps in the road" one must redirect resources or redesign concepts (where necessary). And the roadmap was released to give people a general idea not an intensive involvement of the plan for the game - on top of all that they have to be careful with transparency as competitors can use elements of information to their own advantage.

• Like 2

As long as the end result is what everyone hopes then it shouldn't matter when you get it.

The problem is, it won't. If you dont believe me, I can't prove it of course, but just wait a few years more and you will see.

Best regards

Edited by ErichZann

The problem is, it won't. If you dont believe me, I can't prove it of course, but just wait a few years more and you will see.

Best regards

If we don't make beta by next Christmas I'll be disappointed. If we do make it sooner without major patches I'll agree with you, but the evidence currently points to the contrary.

Best regards

lol we got a psychic here , everybody relax Nostradamus here knows exactly what's gonna happen to dayz so we can just listen to him and give up now ! Get the fuck off of these forums scrub life , all you have been doing for the past 8 months is whine and cry about development and it's always something different ... Go do something else man before I bench your mum .

• Like 3

Go do something else man before I bench your mum .

Your going to bench a plant?

PomponMum.jpg

BUT IT HAS NO WAY OF FIGHTING BACK! :o

Edited by Deathlove

Don't mess with this clearly very dangerous adult man who totally had sex.

How do you even know he had sex? Were you watching through a window or something? XD

scary-peeper-a-peeping-tom-figurine-to-s

lol

• Like 3

I'm practically foaming at the mouth for some map changes  

hicks already said there will be no changes/additions to chernarus+. just like they doing with elektro and sprucing it up a bit

hicks already said there will be no changes/additions to chernarus+. just like they doing with elektro and sprucing it up a bit

...huh?  :huh: