boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

And now we're missing our zombies.. We've officially been going in reverse!

At least we know the road behind is longer than the road ahead. It's a bit funny how many features might be still added in the Beta Phase, but DayZ does everything the way it wants anyway. It's a wilderbeast.

At least we know the road behind is longer than the road ahead. It's a bit funny how many features might be still added in the Beta Phase, but DayZ does everything the way it wants anyway. It's a wilderbeast.

Do we know that? ..I hope we know that.. I'm worried we just assume that.

(Sorry, I'm officially whinging, but I haven't played in ages and I want my god-forsaken Zeds back.

• Like 1

Do we know that? ..I hope we know that.. I'm worried we just assume that.

(Sorry, I'm officially whinging, but I haven't played in ages and I want my god-forsaken Zeds back.

Well Beta phase starts in two months, which means the game should be feature complete by then. Hicks said they are nearly on schedule and may be a month or two late for the Beta, but that still means by End of January/February we should be playing on a Beta version which has camps, cars, zombies, helicopters and all the other stuff. I'm not gonna argue with you, because I don't believe it either, but that's the official word.  

• Like 3

Well, .59 still must have some kind of critical fail.  Too bad.

Anybody else getting session lost on severs at the moment and/or authentication timed out? Can't seem to join any servers at the moment and hoping its just a local thing for me and not effecting everybody (Public Hive) 

Anybody else getting session lost on severs at the moment and/or authentication timed out? Can't seem to join any servers at the moment and hoping its just a local thing for me and not effecting everybody (Public Hive) 

Yes. Session lost after about one minute in /r/dayzunderground; just enough time to spawn in a shed, search a small house and begin to eat some spaghetti.

I notice if I spam refresh on my 'favorites' tab, servers will come and go, mostly at random.  I'm thinking I'll try seeing which one stays there consistently through repeated refreshes, and give that one a go.

The development of this game is getting ridiculous... it's been almost 4 months since last experimental update and 2 months since last stable update and all they got show in the status report are a couple of weapon sounds (which we probably won't hear because of desync), pausable animations and vehicle parts damage (which looks ridiculous)...

Yeah yeah, I know, work on the engine and renderer is being done, there are a lot of things being worked on in the background... maybe they should really focus more on a few particular tasks...

Concerning the engine, I've always had a bad feeling about them trying to wrap the ArmA engine around something it wasn't meant to do in the first place, and I get the feeling that this is just what's been slowing progress in the past couple of months... now with the zombies gone due to server performance issues I've really lost faith in them ever being able to really fix desync and performance issues to a playable amount. At the moment the whole game, movement, interaction with the world just feels kind of clumsy and delayed, and it has never in any version of the game been any better. Every tiny performance improvement they have claimed to make seems to have been eaten up instantly by new features and I'm starting to wonder how much more they can improve it. Right now even without any zombies and just a hand full of vehicles the game feels really awkward in terms of movement and interaction. I dont even want to think about how the performance is going to be if zombies come back and they add in more cars...

Every tiny performance improvement they have claimed to make seems to have been eaten up instantly by new features and I'm starting to wonder how much more they can improve it. Right now even without any zombies and just a hand full of vehicles the game feels really awkward in terms of movement and interaction. I dont even want to think about how the performance is going to be if zombies come back and they add in more cars...

The new scripting language they use is supposedly 300% faster, then so is the renderer. That could mean the number of parallel calculations could become more fluent. However, I do think the new script was already used for the camps and they were laggy as hell. So yeah, I see where you are coming from. I feel like oftentimes the point of making announcements for DayZ is just to make an announcement. I don't care about big promises when it comes to games. I need to see things working and the lag the camp caused and the problems with vehicles near it certainly didn't inspire my confidence in Enfusion's scripting.

However, Bohemia games have a tendency to become playable after being patched for a year. I never bought any of their games on release, because they never were ready then. Except DayZ. I bought that when they announced vehicles.

There's gonna be a massive amount of new stuff in 0.59 from a technical standpoint too. I think it's going to be the first time we see Enfusion as a more or less complete package. Pretty sure the new renderer will see its first iteration. They must be confident about it when they are talking about allowing more players per server (or working on getting that done). So far, I strayed from using the full servers, because I'd inevitably be lagging more than on half-empty ones. If I can play decently on a 50 player server, I'll be more than happy. If I can play decently on a 100 player server, I'll be amazed. Not sure if I need it, though. 50-60 seems reasonable enough to me, even on a huge map like Chernarus+.   

Edited by S3V3N

The development of this game is getting ridiculous... it's been almost 4 months since last experimental update and 2 months since last stable update and all they got show in the status report are a couple of weapon sounds (which we probably won't hear because of desync), pausable animations and vehicle parts damage (which looks ridiculous)...

Yeah yeah, I know, work on the engine and renderer is being done, there are a lot of things being worked on in the background... maybe they should really focus more on a few particular tasks...

Concerning the engine, I've always had a bad feeling about them trying to wrap the ArmA engine around something it wasn't meant to do in the first place, and I get the feeling that this is just what's been slowing progress in the past couple of months... now with the zombies gone due to server performance issues I've really lost faith in them ever being able to really fix desync and performance issues to a playable amount. At the moment the whole game, movement, interaction with the world just feels kind of clumsy and delayed, and it has never in any version of the game been any better. Every tiny performance improvement they have claimed to make seems to have been eaten up instantly by new features and I'm starting to wonder how much more they can improve it. Right now even without any zombies and just a hand full of vehicles the game feels really awkward in terms of movement and interaction. I dont even want to think about how the performance is going to be if zombies come back and they add in more cars...

There is a long history of software projects that never got finished or ran into unsolvable problems but I don't think that dayz is on a point in development where this is the case. A few months delay are nothing unusual for a software project...

Development progress doesn't happen in a linear way. Lets assume that 70% of the CLE functions are implemented. That does not mean that we notice a 70% improvement of loot experience. The same applies to infected AI, desync and even if we have the first iteration of the new renderer it does not mean everything will be better then. At the same time this does not mean that the problems will remain unsolved. It just means that the devs are working on complex tasks that take time to get done properly.

• Like 1

This patch discussion seems to have gone from  talking about the new features and experimenting with changes to venting frustrations with the current patch and the delay of the next patch,,, and I was still here trying to figure out how certain things work in the .58, haha. Not complaining though, I definitely see and understand the reasons for change of topic. I just feel silly anymore for expecting to see stuff about new camp-making tactics or something, haha.

Ah, let the people chit their chat, we are all waiting for 0.59 Exp build anyhow.

If you have a question concerning 0.58, feel free to ask, you may just get an answer.

• Like 10

Is there any work being done to the repeater / trumpet chambering action? I find it's pretty ridiculous that it removes you from ADS while chambering another round. You can't see your point of impacts nor can you get an accurate follow up shot because of the original point of aim in regards to a moving target.

Also, if you equip a pistol, you can't remove it from your hands unless you actually move around.

Is there any work being done to the repeater / trumpet chambering action? I find it's pretty ridiculous that it removes you from ADS while chambering another round. You can't see your point of impacts nor can you get an accurate follow up shot because of the original point of aim in regards to a moving target.

Also, if you equip a pistol, you can't remove it from your hands unless you actually move around.

I don't remember where I read this but I think all the issues will be addressed as soon the new player controller is in.

• Like 1

As a project manager IMHO, the development reports that they give us are not always consistent and thus why I think people lose patience. I myself lost patience a few months ago reading a status report simply b/c I always read the previous report again right before I read the new one, and I take down notes on paper so I can track what was said from report to report. That is where I lost my patience b/c it just seemed like they were all over the place in what to release as information from report to report, and in some cases fail to follow up on items they said they'd report back on. 

I take it all with a grain of salt though b/c I'm not apart of the dev team and I don't know what is really going on at the studio AND I know they are working hard. However, I really hope they're just going through the pains right now of getting a whole bunch of stuff merged so it can finally be released to experimental for us all to test and enjoy. With that in mind maybe that is why its taking so long to get us something new. Let's also not forget the hardware failures and morons out there that DDOS'd the servers which took away time from pushing forward on development.

Hang in there survivors'; we'll be cheering once a new experimental build hits and we switch over to the experimental thread to chat about it. :thumbsup:  

• Like 4

Anyone else finding and tossing tents off of the apartment building roof tops? Other items appear to stick in mid air like they hit a wall while the tents tumble to the ground and either disappear into the ground or deploy and setup on the ground.

I found two tents and tossed them down to use them. One of them simply disappeared and the other clipped the side of the building on it's way down and stayed on the ground. When I got to the ground level, that tent had auto deployed and was setup and usable.

Anyone else finding and tossing tents off of the apartment building roof tops? Other items appear to stick in mid air like they hit a wall while the tents tumble to the ground and either disappear into the ground or deploy and setup on the ground.

I found two tents and tossed them down to use them. One of them simply disappeared and the other clipped the side of the building on it's way down and stayed on the ground. When I got to the ground level, that tent had auto deployed and was setup and usable.

Yip had the same experience. One tent landed and bounced, second tent landed behind the fence across the road (great throw :) ) and when I went to collect it, gone... 

Maybe what many of you do not understand is when they get 100 million dollars for a Early Access game like Dayz, greed tends to take hold on the people who recieve this kind of money. So instead of them continuing on a "percieved promise" that they will be working hard on this game, they are really spending a great deal of the time working on another way to make another 100 million. It is not about how much 'we" people care about Dayz and/or how many times your fed the DISCLAIMER that this is a early access game to expect a bunch of bullshit. IT IS ABOUT THE MONEY!

http://www.bistudio.com/games/take-on-mars

DUE OUT THIS COMING SUMMER?!?! REALLY?!?!

As you see in the link, they are working on another Early Access in the background..they are not working on Dayz 110% as they try to make you believe..why would you expect decient progress here in Dayz, when they just want more millions in replicating the 100 million they already took from us...by working on another game in alpha.

The DISCLAIMER should also state that they are more worried about making more money, then finnishing a project thay already got in the making (Dayz). So be prepared for long delays in progress because money comes first, not their decietful tacktics in making their "customers" believe they are working 100% on the product we purchase. Before they start on something else that takes away huge amount of time that could have advanced this game further than it is.

Personally...I think progress has been a fucking JOKE! That is one thing I liked about Dean Rocket Hall (which I dealt with and witnessed his devotion for over 3 years during the mod days)...he was about REALLY developing something, and it is no wonder he is no longer with the "corporation" LOL. Sad really...he was only 1 man with an idea, not even a entire team/studio.

I am sorry for my current review...but I do not lie to myself and will state my opinion in truth. I WISH I could post something more positive, but I am just glad I did not chose the option to pay 70 dollars for the bullshit advanced member acess, so I am only out 30 dollars for a broken disclaimer, broken game, and a development team that is misleading it's own community because of money.

That's my story...and I'm sticking to it!

p.s. Do notice the DISCLAIMER in that link in red writing too...another 100 million for another years of total bullshit progress and waiting for one thing to be fixed while breaking 10 other things.

p.p.s. And one more thing to drive my point home...I gave my part of the 100 million to go toward working on Dayz...not to go toward a fucking game on Mars. A game I will never buy nor ever play.

Edited by JasJack

Stupid is forever!

(NSFW)

Edited by BleedoutBill
  • Like 5

p.p.s. And one more thing to drive my point home...I gave my part of the 100 million to go toward working on Dayz...not to go toward a fucking game on Mars. A game I will never buy nor ever play.

I believe the development of the Mars exploration game started shortly after A Take on Helicopter. I think it uses the same engine, too. That's unrelated to Dayz's development as one company can develop different game at a time. Bohemia has profited from the mod, because it skyrocketed ARMAII sales at a time when not too many people were still buying the game to play ARMA. It's their money to spend, unrelated from what DayZ made as a budget in pre-sales. What you suggest is that a studio should only develop one title at a time - try telling that to Ubisoft or EA, heh.

The reason I'm not playing 0.58 is not only, because I played it to death since experimental 0.58, but because I expect 0.59 to come out every day now. However, I've been expecting that for the past two weeks, so the unwillingness to give us an estimate on their release schedule is what drives people away from playing, inadvertently. It would be much easier, if we knew when about the next release is due. If I knew it's going to take yet another two weeks, I might go back into playing 0.58 for a while. 

0.59 is exciting,or is gonna be exciting. It's far more feature complete than 0.58, and I'm really looking forward to set up some kind of base, because I'm the type who enjoys planning bases and playing around with survial mechanics. I hope the hunting will be better, too. Animals were stuck quite often in 0.58. Lots to come guys, but having patience is really hard for me now :)

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 4

I believe the development of the Mars exploration game started shortly after A Take on Helicopter. I think it uses the same engine, too. That's unrelated to Dayz's development as one company can develop different game at a time. Bohemia has profited from the mod, because it skyrocketed ARMAII sales at a time when not too many people were still buying the game to play ARMA. It's their money to spend, unrelated from what DayZ made as a budget in pre-sales. What you suggest is that a studio should only develop one title at a time - try telling that to Ubisoft or EA, heh.

The reason I'm not playing 0.58 is not only, because I played it to death since experimental 0.58, but because I expect 0.59 to come out every day now. However, I've been expecting that for the past two weeks, so the unwillingness to give us an estimate on their release schedule is what drives people away from playing, inadvertently. It would be much easier, if we knew when about the next release is due. If I knew it's going to take yet another two weeks, I might go back into playing 0.58 for a while. 

0.59 is exciting,or is gonna be exciting. It's far more feature complete than 0.58, and I'm really looking forward to set up some kind of base, because I'm the type who enjoys planning bases and playing around with survial mechanics. I hope the hunting will be better, too. Animals were stuck quite often in 0.58. Lots to come guys, but having patience is really hard for me now :)

Well put and I'm in the same boat.

I'm guessing they'd love to give us an estimate but if they fall short for whatever reason they get flamed so hard they're trying a different tight lipped strategy and hopping to pleasantly surprise us.

Do what I do and patiently play a game you love to hate and check back here regularly like I believe a lot of survivors are doing right now.

When the infected are back and small cars show up, Junior and I will be in there like swimwear.

• Like 7

Do what I do and patiently play a game you love to hate...

Ha!

Lately, I see DayZ the way I see my job.

I don't know if I love to hate it or hate to love it, but I damn sure don't like how it treats me right now! :)

We're gonna have all kinds of new stuff to find and people to fuck with (or vice versa?) soon enough!

Edited by whiskeytango
  • Like 3

Ha!

Lately, I see DayZ the way I see my job.

I don't know if I love to hate it or hate to love it, but I damn sure don't like how it treats me right now! :)

We're gonna have all kinds of new stuff to find and people to fuck with (or vice versa?) soon enough!

Now that I've seen some of the tools involved in modding ARMA II, I have (or believe I have) a far better understanding about why things are so complicated and often seem to take longer than necessary. I'm not saying the Real Virtuality engines are bad or anthing, but they are a lot harder to jump into and change things on the fly than, e.g. in Unreal 4. So you want to make sure everything is perfect, or as near as it gets, before integrating assets and adding new functionality into the game. Sometimes it's good to walk in somebody else's boots for a mile. It brings along a kind of understanding and modesty that can't be expected from everyone, who just watches the game with impatience. I'll try to keep that in mind next time I feel like exploding into a rant ;)

• Like 2

;)

I heard that. I swear to god one of these days I'll learn Lua.

Edited by whiskeytango