boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

I do believe the statuses are bugged although the bugged status emulates something that does happen to unprepared people in that state, hypothermia is and should be serious business, the "I'm shaking" is stage one. That's the point where you need to recognize and deal with it or you are in danger, ignoring that stage you can pass into the later more severe stages that can lead to shock induced mental effects that can cause you to make fatal mistakes.

A guy I know who worked for years in SAR said that a lot of survivors they recovered in the cold wet time of year around here who had lapsed into later stages would curl up and hide on the cold ground in damp clothes sometimes even feeling a false sense of over heating removing clothes and go catatonic.

From my experience my youngest son was a very hyperactive toddler when he was having extreme days of it I'd take him on scooter rides in the evening to intentionally give him a little chill, the first stage of hypothermia where he'd start shiver and chatter his teeth. When your body starts shivering you're burning a ton of energy vibrating trying to raise your core temperature. I'd bring him home put warm PJs on him and he'd calmly watch some cartoons while his core temp came back up and then sleep the night like a baby fatigued from just the first stage of hypothermia.

That last paragraph might seem like "child abuse" but by 5 he could recognize the onset of hypothermia and know that something had to be done before it got serious, most adults these days do not have that knowledge. 

My only case of bugged Hypothermia was on flat ground. With any warming up / cooling down kind of message, I have not noticed a difference in altitude or terrain whatsoever.

Only houses seem to make a difference in not cooling you off so fast, but even that I am not sure of - but it was a mechanic in the mod.

As such I highly doubt altitude plays any role whatsoever. But would be nice if you could find that post or wiki entry somewhere?

I was curious and have not found anything on this matter other than said mod mechanic.

Googled "dayz sa temperature at altitude"...

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Temperature 

I take wikis with a grain of salt though.

It doesn't seem to change the status when using ductape but I'm wondering if there is a numerical value to item conditions. Like 0 ruined, 1-25 badly damaged, 26-50 damaged etc. Perhaps someone could chime in about that and about the plate carriers about damage absorption, how many shots it takes change the condition and what not. I'm sure some easy testing could figure that out, especially with different caliber weapons. And what's the protection value of the press vest in comparison to the plate carrier?

And has anyone had a problem with someone giving you and IV but it not actually working? I had a friend give me an IV yesterday but I didn't get the message that it was being applied. I seen it in his hands and doing the animation but nothing happened and unfortunately it cost my life heh.

Edited by Creamy Cowboy
  • Like 1

Googled "dayz sa temperature at altitude"...

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Temperature 

I take wikis with a grain of salt though.

Me too. Pretty unclear entry there. Seems based on speculation more than actual facts :|

Night / daytime supposedly makes a difference, but I have been getting hot just as much at night as at daytime

@creamy cowboy

as far as I know, ducttape is mostly to repair the worst kinda damages universally.

I.e. it will turn a badly damaged gun into a merely damaged gun I reckon

Edited by jayfkay

It doesn't seem to change the status when using ductape but I'm wondering if there is a numerical value to item conditions. Like 0 ruined, 1-25 badly damaged, 26-50 damaged etc. 

*snip*

I noticed that repairing a fish trap, it takes 13-16% of a 100% roll to go from badly damaged back to damaged and be able to use it again. I tried once with an 8% roll and it went from badly damaged to damaged but ruined on the next use. I would say there's some "hit point" or whatever range for each named state of wear.

I noticed out of the 3-4 bad cases my minions and I have died of 2-3 started at the top of the hill at Tulga and once in the hills east and west of Myshinko tent city. I cant remember where but I read in a post here or a wiki or something that altitude is a factor. I have my own suspicions that there's "pockets" of different temperature air similar to how it can be raining on one area an not another on a single server. I'd like to see it confirmed from mined data but all and all it seems like a good realistic mechanic aside from the lack of statuses showing.

The part that may be missing is cold air also behaves as liquid and there'd be cold air running down a lot of the valley towards the sea and cold moving air can be dangerous if you're damp but I'm sure the game engine will have it's limits.

Me too. Pretty unclear entry there. Seems based on speculation more than actual facts :|

Night / daytime supposedly makes a difference, but I have been getting hot just as much at night as at daytime

@creamy cowboy

as far as I know, ducttape is mostly to repair the worst kinda damages universally.

I.e. it will turn a badly damaged gun into a merely damaged gun I reckon

I can actually confirm that altitidue does play a role in temperature.

In 0.55 we had a camp way up north, I think it was near Novodmitrovsk. It was on an hill and we noticed both that when we were up the hill you started geting cold fast just by sitting still. While low on the ground it didn't make you any colder.

True that about the plate carriers. Very annoying, as I combined two pristine attachments with a damaged carrier and got a damaged vest, too. However, you can patch the whole thing back to worn with the leather sewing kit.

I often wonder what ducttape does in respect of restoring items. I can see tents change to worn and patch up raincoats, but even though it uses it and says "blabla amount of ducttape was used", it never actually changed anything about the plate carrier. I think with backpacks it was the same, but I'm not too sure about that now. Does ducctape just restore some items, or does it improve others without actually changing their status. Also - why would I use ducttape on a barrel? I keep doing that, losing a full tape almost each time, but there is really no point at this time, is there?

As far as I know ducttape restores an item do the damaged state and if it is fully restored to that it will be damaged just under worn.

For example: if an item has 100 % durability and the stages are ruined 0, badly damaged 1 to 24, damaged 25 to 49, worn 50 to 74 and pristine 75 to 100. Ducttape would patch an item up to 49 % of it's durability, if there is enough ducttape. If there is only like 5 % ducttape it will patch it up only 5 %, I guess.

Edit: from the game files:

"DUCT TAPE REPAIR SCRIPT

Allows the user to repair some of its items with the duct tape to a certain degree. Check fnc_isItemDuctTapeCompatible for the list of compatible items.

Item's size and damage affect the required amount of tape

Duct tape's damage affect its efficiency"

Some paramaters:

"_minTapeUsage = 0.10; //How much of the tape we need to repair "badly damaged", 1x1 sized item with pristine tape

_tapeMinEfficiency = 0.5; //Minimal efficiency for "badly damaged" tape"

Calculations:

"_tapedItemXYSize = getArray (configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> typeOf _tapedItem >> "itemSize");

_repairRequired = damage _tapedItem - ductTapeRepairDamage;

_tapeRequired = (_tapedItemXYSize select 0) * (_tapedItemXYSize select 1) * _minTapeUsage * (_repairRequired / ductTapeRepairDamage) * (1 + damage _ductTape * _tapeMinEfficiency);"

Edited by IMT
  • Like 3

The thing is, for me its not quite as it is for you.

My progress of the special bugged Hypothermia:

1. Get wet

2. slowly cooling off.. no more messages after that

3. some time, lots of running could be included, character starts shaking (no cold status)

4. keeps shaking even if 3 campfires for 30 minutes etc

now two things can happen:

5a. stay dry + quilted jacket + running + campfires. eventually stop shaking after hours. happy end.

5b. get wet again or do whatever that cools you off - "I have Hypothermia!" "I have Hypothermia!" "I have Hypothermia!" "I have Hypothermia!" "I have Hypothermia!" "I have Hypothermia!"

6. die within 5 minutes, next to campfires.

Other times, namely everytime recently, I have been getting wet and cold and got "I am shaking" repeatedly, but wasnt even shaking.

Its wierd really.

my character was actually physically shaking for a long time without "i am cold" or "i am shaking" messages, made binoculars annoying. i guess i better star looking to see if theres a job ticket in on this one....

• Like 1

my character was actually physically shaking for a long time without "i am cold" or "i am shaking" messages, made binoculars annoying. i guess i better star looking to see if theres a job ticket in on this one....

Shaking without status indicator is an old bug indeed.

Sitting by a fire for a few minutes has helped me in the past....

You should drink less "koffee" then. :lol:
  • Like 1

Friend dropped a pistol and lost it today :(

Will it ever be safe to drop things?

Dropped it where? How long was it on the ground? Accidental drop .. more info por favor.

You can't stash weapons on the ground anymore and expect to pick them later. They have maybe 1hr before they despawn if that if no ones around I believe.

Edited by Creamy Cowboy

Could be a number of things. In my experience it's been pretty safe to drop things in most places and easily find them. The places I've had problems with have been areas near bodies of water/rocks and inside houses with glitched loot (many times they will appear somewhere next to the house on the outside, sometimes completely lost) I have had a HUGE problem with items that I picked up from another person and double carrying. A friend loaned me a shotgun the other day and when I tried to vault over the fence, my character put the gun on his back, except it didn't go on his back, nor anywhere on the ground even though i checked the entire area around the fence where I dropped it. I also looted a gun off a dead body once only to not be able to switch between weapons and when I logged out and back into the server, the gun I had picked up and was holding had disappeared out of my hand and nowhere to be found. 

In general, I have found that dropping stuff on the ground outside has been pretty dependable, but I would be extra cautious when doing things that automatically holster your weapon for you (climbing laddres, going into deep water) and vaulting over fences. 

It is safe to drop things... in your barrel, tent or ammo box/ protector case.

I just found this...

Compared with how the akm acts ingame.. they might as well remove it. it is useless beyond single fire at the moment.

Edited by jayfkay

Shaking without status indicator is an old bug indeed.

Sitting by a fire for a few minutes has helped me in the past....

My mate has shaking hands too. Built a Fireplace for him and he got "rapidly warming up" for over 10minutes and is still shaking. It's deffinitley the hypothermia-thing cause he has no "cold" message. Had both to log off then - let's see how much time more it will take, to get him on a normal body temperature again.

When "job ticket" means "bug report" - there is already one but the bi-manager said, that they can't reproduce the bug and think the whole thing is caused by desync, which will (hopefully) get fixed with 0.59.

https://feedback.dayz.com/view.php?id=27070

Edited by R. Hartenstein
  • Like 1

I just found this...

Compared with how the akm acts ingame.. they might as well remove it. it is useless beyond single fire at the moment.

Same goes for almost all weapons. But my guess is that with the skill system recoil will be less if you have much of the recoil skill.

My mate has shaking hands too. Built a Fireplace for him and he got "rapidly warming up" for over 10minutes and is still shaking. It's deffinitley the hypothermia-thing cause he has no "cold" message. Had both to log off then - let's se how much time more it will take, to get him on a normal body temperature again.

I actually think this is a bug and doesn't go away. I found it easier to stash my gear in a barrel and kill myself than to wait for "micro shakes" to disappear. True, this could be fixed easily in the past by sitting at a fire for ten seconds, but something changed and needs to be unbugged. What I didn't try (or don't remember) is if painkillers would work in this situation. I wouldn't mind if that fixed it, but it smells like a bug to me, not like a feature. 

I actually think this is a bug and doesn't go away. I found it easier to stash my gear in a barrel and kill myself than to wait for "micro shakes" to disappear. True, this could be fixed easily in the past by sitting at a fire for ten seconds, but something changed and needs to be unbugged. What I didn't try (or don't remember) is if painkillers would work in this situation. I wouldn't mind if that fixed it, but it smells like a bug to me, not like a feature. 

Must be a bug because any feature-based status also gives you a status message^^.

Edited by R. Hartenstein

Dropped it where? How long was it on the ground? Accidental drop .. more info por favor.

You can't stash weapons on the ground anymore and expect to pick them later. They have maybe 1hr before they despawn if that if no ones around I believe.

He dropped it next to me when I was laying on the ground. Just disappeared. Never got the option to pick it up. It was just outside the wall of NWAF next to the tents.

I think access to guns should be even harder. Make it what it is supposed to be, a survival game, not a combined jogging/KOS simulator - make interaction more meaningful.

That said, I think 0.58 a step in the right direction, CLE is also about to get better. Too bad real life is keeping me from playing these days :)

In general I disagree to some extent  but I do agree that military weapons should be less common. Pistols, Revolvers, civilian single shot, double and bolt action rifles and single barrel shotguns should form the bulk of the weapons available. That would be more real life. as would weapons that break but can be repaired with spare parts and springs gleaned from other weapons. that could be put into a med kit to make a weapons repair kit.

Those changes would make the Zombie Hunting a bit tougher and more exciting when the zombies come back (hopefully with a vengeance).  And BioHaze says that Zombies will eventually have a small inventory that can be looted that would be an excellent notion. However taking a zombies clothing and wearing it without first disinfecting and washing them should carry the chance of a bacterial infection.

• Like 1

Same goes for almost all weapons. But my guess is that with the skill system recoil will be less if you have much of the recoil skill.

I think you can easily full auto allmost rifles in the game with the exceptions of Mp5 and AKM, whereas the Mp5 can easily be burstfired, the AKM can not. I could make a video about it actually.

I dont know man.

They should just tone down the recoil and make it a bit harder to come by, so that AK74, SKS and Mp5 are the most common military rifles.

Edited by jayfkay

He dropped it next to me when I was laying on the ground. Just disappeared. Never got the option to pick it up. It was just outside the wall of NWAF next to the tents.

To give to you I'm guessing? I've never had much of a problem dropping an item for a friend. Sometimes when you do it inside a house, it ends up outside the house or not exactly in the area that I dropped it. The only time a weapon disappeared for me was when I pressed G because the gun wasn't showing in my hands and the SVD that I had chunked from my hands and fell through the ground.

I just found this...

Eh, the video doesn't really prove anything, unless there was a huge paper target down there to track the pattern. If he were shooting at the side of a barn, the whole side of it would be peppered. You can tell it's pushing him back a bit by the end of the video. Shoulder firing it would probably be the same.

I've had good experiences with the AKM with burst fire but I won't disagree that the recoil is a little rough but it can be tamed.

Edited by Creamy Cowboy
  • Like 1

To give to you I'm guessing? I've never had much of a problem dropping an item for a friend. Sometimes when you do it inside a house, it ends up outside the house or not exactly in the area that I dropped it. The only time a weapon disappeared for me was when I pressed G because the gun wasn't showing in my hands and the SVD that I had chunked from my hands and fell through the ground.

Eh, the video doesn't really prove anything, unless there was a huge paper target down there to track the pattern. If he were shooting at the side of a barn, the whole side of it would be peppered. You can tell it's pushing him back a bit by the end of the video. Shoulder firing it would probably be the same.

I've had good experiences with the AKM with burst fire but I won't disagree that the recoil is a little rough but it can be tamed.

This is how its currently like to shoot the AKM.

utFeeSE.png

Even burstfiring is currently way too hard on the akm imo, and not in line with how the other guns behave (arguably fairly realistic and like on the left side).

Edited by jayfkay