sfscriv

Survivors DEC 2013 to AUG 2015

Aha, good representation of how many people are actually still playing...

Steam says the peak for today is currently at 13,172.

So about 0.5 per cent of the people who have bought the game are still actually playing it? I know a lot of people are waiting for .58 to come to stable but....phew.

Edited by Mookie
  • Like 1

My personal DayZ Standalone gaming time takes a serious drop when persistence is turned off and when a new update is imminent.

The current population of survivors was 3,166,767 x $30 = $95,003,010

So about 0.5 per cent of the people who have bought the game are still actually playing it? I know a lot of people are waiting for .58 to come to stable but....phew.

Expected. Not everyone gets addicted right away. I have like 3 people that played for like 2-3 hours and deceided its not for them and they might check in like 1 year or so.  Others play on-off, than there is summer and all the other games. Others got interested during release, played a bit but than the game changed to more "survival" and they just want DM at the coast and m4s....dunno. :D

Will be fun to hear people complaining when they get ridd of the attrocious weapon spawns from 0.57 :D

• Like 2

The player population will get a boost when their are functional vehicles.  Base building features will also likely increase the active player base.

Right? It's actually pretty funny when you think about it. A lot of people who've purchased DayZ are obviously waiting for it to mature, but those numbers are pretty serious.

Peak players =/= total number of active players

Based on the numbers I have seen over the years and stuff I've read from devs, the total number of active players can be as much as 100x the number at peak.

Based on the numbers I have seen over the years and stuff I've read from devs, the total number of active players can be as much as 100x the number at peak.

Yes, I can see that. Although 'active' is probably a bit of a spectrum.

The current population of survivors was 3,166,767 x $30 = $95,003,010

That math is wrong, 1 account can have multiple survivors (on public server and private server) And I wonder if those number include every single character you create after dying..

Edited by DaveB

Hello there

Dont forget that without any advertising DAYZ went viral which accounts for the crazy sales figures.

I dont think we will hit these numbers again with the PC release but expect active numbers to go up and down as we hit various milestones and as the gameplay develops into the niche game the devs always wanted.

As more survivalesque stuff hits expect the pure PvPer player numbers to drop for example.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

That math is wrong, 1 account can have multiple survivors (on public server and private server) And I wonder if those number include every single character you create after dying..

I always assumed that was copies sold.

The math here is off, way off.

13k peak doesn't mean that only 13k and change played all day. My guess its closer to 100K visitors.

100x? Thats interesting...

Edited by Weyland Yutani

Yeah these numbers don't really mean much unless you give the calculations / background.

I mean i can make assumptions based on how the thread has progressed, but you know what doing that makes you and me...

Also a little put off by orlok's statement, given i thought this was a sandbox.  Implement features sure, but guiding player experiences?  I thought all play styles were encouraged and valid in dayz...

Yeah these numbers don't really mean much unless you give the calculations / background.

I mean i can make assumptions based on how the thread has progressed, but you know what doing that makes you and me...

Also a little put off by orlok's statement, given i thought this was a sandbox.  Implement features sure, but guiding player experiences?  I thought all play styles were encouraged and valid in dayz...

Hello there

All playstyles *are* valid, but if more reliance is placed on survival needs, then that will obviously have an impact on those who want to gear up in 20 mins to go pew pew.

I said nothing about guiding players.

Rgds

LoK

The math here is off, way off.

13k peak doesn't mean that only 13k and change played all day. My guess its closer to 100K visitors.

If what you mean is 'maths', no it's not. Work out what %age of 3,166,000 13,000 represents... It's actually 0.41%

I take the point that this does not mean that's how many are left actually playing the game over (say) the course of the day or the week. So let's assume your 100k visitors a day is correct. 100,000 visitors a day represents 3.15% of those who have paid for the game.

If what you mean is 'maths', no it's not. Work out what %age of 3,166,000 13,000 represents... It's actually 0.41%

I take the point that this does not mean that's how many are left actually playing the game over (say) the course of the day or the week. So let's assume your 100k visitors a day is correct. 100,000 visitors a day represents 3.15% of those who have paid for the game.

No, I mean math and thats how the English language is used in America. UK or AU say maths. Don't you old chaps say fink when you're trying to say think anyway?  :P

Americans say meters, not metres---who cares. You got the point so quit being a nitprick.

Lets stick to the topic at hand. You said 0.5 when the baseline (w/very little margin of error) is easily 6x more than what you said. Therefore, your MATH is OFF, WAY OFF.

Also, maybe not the same people play everyday so that 3% can easily be calibrated to a higher value.

You said 0.5 when the baseline (w/very little margin of error) is easily 6x more than what you said. Therefore, your MATH is OFF, WAY OFF.

Also, maybe not the same people play everyday so that 3% can easily be calibrated to a higher value.

My maths is fine. 13,000 is definitely 0.41% of 3,166,000. You might not agree with the underlying assumptions, but that's not maths, that's logic.

Speaking of which, of course 3% is 6x higher than 0.5%, but you're deliberately conflating absolute with relative percentages. Either way, the number of people playing, at least on a daily basis is a tiny proportion of people who have paid for the game.

• Like 1

My maths is fine. 13,000 is definitely 0.41% of 3,166,000. You might not agree with the underlying assumptions, but that's not maths, that's logic.

Speaking of which, of course 3% is 6x higher than 0.5%, but you're deliberately conflating absolute with relative percentages. Either way, the number of people playing, at least on a daily basis is a tiny proportion of people who have paid for the game.

Logic is the philosophy of mathematics.

Nobody is disputing the player count is low, the dispute is your figures are off, way off. 

Also, didn't you guys used to work with Weyland Corporation International and got banned from RRF for harboring hackers?

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedditRescueForce/comments/2u5azu/january_29_2015_our_stance_on_cheating_and_those/

Logic is the philosophy of mathematics.

Nobody is disputing the player count is low, the dispute is your figures are off, way off. 

Also, didn't you guys used to work with Weyland Corporation International and got banned from RRF for harboring hackers?

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedditRescueForce/comments/2u5azu/january_29_2015_our_stance_on_cheating_and_those/

My figures are fine. If you'd like to dispute what proportion 13,000 is of 3.166m go ahead. You dispute my premise that the daily figures are representative of the active player count. I can understand that, but that's logic - how valid my inference is from the premise - not maths.

So far you've tried moving from saying that 3% is 6x 0.5% (ok, but this is an old statistical trick). Now you're playing semantics with the definition of 'logic', following up with a cheap pop at whether I've been involved in hacking. I have no affiliation with either WCI or Burnaya; never have had, save occasional trading with the latter.

You're running out of road here...

So to sum up this topic : mookie + Weyland = total - logic ÷± = ²◘ 

Which would indicate using the my squinty eyed calculations that the reasoning of this Topics existence is corrupt and of ¿ value.

However, that being said I don't really see the suggested N°s as being a surprise to anyone in the given situation at this stage of development.

​Of the eight people with whom I have played both DayZ mod and Standalone with since the very beginning, all are quietly waiting for the game to mature, I keep them informed in a subjective manner and it is accepted that 0.58 build will be worth giving it a go by all those concerned.

Some of them have tried other survival games, Rust, H1Z1, Ark and even Constipation (or whatever the name is  :D ) but none have really caught on in the same way DayZ has and remains by far the most popular for myself and my buddies.

Development of DayZ will continue long after the release of the game is completed (0.1) and with the implementation of modding, possible new maps and other player content (modding in general) I very much doubt that the above N°'s are of any relevance or representative of the sum of all fears.

Not Locked...

• Like 1