Grimey Rick

TIL that DayZ runs much smoother on Windows 10.

Anyway, TL;DR, I'm very, very impressed with Windows 10 thus far. Granted, I'm only a few hours into my experience, but it feels very solid. I'm very much looking forward to receiving my free upgrade in a few weeks. DayZ seem to run great even before tweaks, and it feels so smooth -- is that the upgraded DirectX?

I had a windows 7 installation running for over 5 years and when I got my hands on a SSD I decided to do a complete clean install. I didn't feel any difference between running DAYZ on a clean system compared to a "dirty one".

When I still used XP I used to do a clean install every year because it was slowing down (never felt that need with 7) but what I would do is do a complete clean install, drivers, standard programs and so on and make an image of that drive. Saved me a lot of time because I would only have to run new updates since the image and maybe make some changes I did in the last year. After that I'd sometimes make again a new image.

You are speaking about optimizing your windows 7 system for DAYZ, care to share some of the tweaks you did?

Is your laptop fully updated? The Windows 10 tray icon only became available to me after a fairly recent Windows Update.

No, probably not. I'll give that a go, cheers!

Here is a quote from microsofts FAQ: "

"Is it really free to upgrade?

Yes. Windows 10 is a free upgrade for qualified Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1 Update and Windows Phone 8.1 devices. This free upgrade is offered for one year after Windows 10 is available. After you upgrade, Windows 10 is yours to enjoy."

The wording here pisses me off because I'm not sure if they're offering the upgrade only for one year or if they are offering to give away windows 10 copies for a year until they start selling them...

Edited by FlimFlamm
  • Like 1

Hey,somebody tried dayz on windows 10 ? Is working better then windows 7 ?

Edited by SnarKaize

From what i understand its much better. But i don't get mine until the 27th of this month. : /

So another week from now lol.

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 1

why would it be better?  curious

Something about it not taking up as much space or whatever like windows 8 does to play games from what i understand.

Here is a quote from microsofts FAQ: "

"Is it really free to upgrade?

Yes. Windows 10 is a free upgrade for qualified Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1 Update and Windows Phone 8.1 devices. This free upgrade is offered for one year after Windows 10 is available. After you upgrade, Windows 10 is yours to enjoy."

The wording here pisses me off because I'm not sure if they're offering the upgrade only for one year or if they are offering to give away windows 10 copies for a year until they start selling them...

Given the wording, the offer is available to eligible users for up to 1 year after the offer opens, and then it closes.

Once accepting the offer, the product is yours to keep.

• Like 2

I didn't read the whole thread, but did anyone mention that it is literally impossible for the improvements to be a result of DirectX 12? This game doesn't use the DX12 API. It still uses DX9. Just like how if you run a game like Borderlands 1 or Arkham Asylum today, they don't suddenly use a new API just because a newer one is available. 

Once they get done implementing the new renderer, DayZ will use DirectX 11. After that they plan to allow us to use DirectX 12. However, we are many months away from DX12 having any impact whatsoever on our DayZ experience.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 3

Running Windows 10 Pro now. The Insider Preview is finished. It's pretty sweet, aside from a few aggravating minor bugs that are easy enough to fix yourself.

Windows 10/10, would upgrade again.

• Like 1

Recently published benchmark comparisons (like this one for example) go to show Win 10 offers little to no performance benefit over Windows 81. Anyone significant increase in FPS probably isn't due to the OS.

I didn't read the whole thread, but did anyone mention that it is literally impossible for the improvements to be a result of DirectX 12? This game doesn't use the DX12 API. It still uses DX9. Just like how if you run a game like Borderlands 1 or Arkham Asylum today, they don't suddenly use a new API just because a newer one is available. 

Once they get done implementing the new renderer, DayZ will use DirectX 11. After that they plan to allow us to use DirectX 12. However, we are many months away from DX12 having any impact whatsoever on our DayZ experience.

It's just placebo. People vaguely have the idea their games are running faster due to a new OS. The reality is if they ran clean installs of both OS, Windows 10 wouldn't offer any noticeable performance increase.

Edited by t1337Dude
  • Like 1

Recently published benchmark comparisons (like this one for example) go to show Win 10 offers little to no performance benefit over Windows 81. Anyone significant increase in FPS probably isn't due to the OS.

It's just placebo. People vaguely have the idea their games are running faster due to a new OS. The reality is if they ran clean installs of both OS, Windows 10 wouldn't offer any noticeable performance increase.

I get that. I just wanted to make sure everyone understood that DX 12 cannot be doing anything for them at this point. However, any game that does offer DX11 and DX12 support should be interesting as far as benchmarks are concerned. We will be able to see real world side by side comparisons. I'm pretty excited tbh.

They ran benchmarks on two shitty laptops, then played Tomb Raider for a little bit on an average computer. No one was/is expecting an operating system to suddenly double the frame-rate, bro. Astounding comparison of Windows 8 and 10, even though I was discussing going from Windows 7 to 10. I've stuck with Windows 7 Ultimate x64 for six years because all of the actual improvements Windows 8/8.1 offered over its predecessor were far outweighed by just how awful the operating system itself functioned and interacted with the user.

Now, gamers have a viable upgrade path to Windows 10 that combines the best of both worlds; don't like the Metro styling of Windows 8, but want the improvements to DirectX (one of the reasons I purchased and installed Windows 8 was the rumored increased performance in Battlefield 4, a game I played the shit out of) it brings? Will you miss the stability and familiarity of an operating system theme that's been going strong for twenty years? If so, get Windows 10.

And I definitely wouldn't call what I experienced with DayZ a placebo effect. If anything, I was going into my initial trial of Windows 10 as a supreme cynic (go figure). I didn't expect anything much to come of it after the letdown that was Windows 8. But I was pleasantly surprised.

I format my C: drive every three to six months to keep everything running peachy-keen. I've never, ever experienced such smooth game play in Windows 7. In DayZ, it feels like I have Vertical Sync enabled, but I don't. Again, I wasn't running through the streets shouting, "Everyone! Have you heard? Windows 10 is here, and it's amaaaaaaaaaaaaziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing! It makes me want to sing!"

The best part is, this was literally right out of the box. No backups to install from, I didn't have to sit there for three hours letting the piece of shit that is Windows 7's Windows Update pick and choose what updates it felt like installing in apparent random order since Service Pack 1 launched four years ago. Just install Windows 10, download Steam, download DayZ, and fire it up.

Anyway, I'm gonna go inject some more placebo into my bloodstream with this random syringe I found labeled "Micro$oft".

• Like 1

Boom. I got a FPS stability boost after upgrading from 8.1 to 10. I'm running a high-end PC and without driver wipe, DayZ feels significantly more stable than it used to.

Boom. I got a FPS stability boost after upgrading from 8.1 to 10. I'm running a high-end PC and without driver wipe, DayZ feels significantly more stable than it used to.

Strange. I just played for about 3 hours straight and made a loop from Novaya Petrovka to Severograd and then back up North through Kamensk and then to Stary Yar, back down through Novaya Petrovka and I'm now down around Vybor. I ran the whole time with RivaTuner up and saw literally no change whatsoever in any situation. If anything, I think I dropped a frame or two in cities. But it should be noted that I was on Experimental.

Edited by ColdAtrophy

Strange. I just played for about 3 hours straight and made a loop from Novaya Petrovka to Severograd and then back up North through Kamensk and then to Stary Yar, back down through Novaya Petrovka and I'm now down around Vybor. I ran the whole time with RivaTuner up and saw literally no change whatsoever in any situation. If anything, I think I dropped a frame or two in cities. But it should be noted that I was on Experimental.

Come to think of it, I'm running AMD GPU and Windows 10 allowed me to get new drivers, maybe that's the reason? What's your GPU?

Come to think of it, I'm running AMD GPU and Windows 10 allowed me to get new drivers, maybe that's the reason? What's your GPU?

I'm using a Gigabyte GTX 970. But I had to update my driver too. 

I'ma upgrade and try DayZ out on Win10, run around and hit some of the bigger cities. I'll report back with my findings - perhaps later today, perhaps in a few days.

• Like 1

Hello there

Prepare your eyes for the ugliest GUI for decades. Win 10 was hit by the ugly stick tree forest The planet Endor.

rgds

LoK

I'm with LoK.. It is fugly, I do 99% of what I do in Linux Mint and basically just dualboot to Windows for Dayz.

I call that my WinDayz option ;-)

• Like 1