Sign in to follow this  
xCAPx

DayZ Standalone Singleplayer

Mr. Hicks confirmed that DayZ will get a SP @AMDPCgamingshow

What's your thoughts? Do you like it?

I like it very much and I'm excited to see how the loot will be balanced? Always on SP to control the loot?

edit: SP supports mods too!

some tweets to the SP:

"Small note before bed: DayZ: Offline mode will be in 64 bit client only, will allow modders to test their data locally, and solo play."

"Negative - completely separate experiences."

"Keep in mind this comes with out feature complete, so I'd very much like us to be near our zed goal by then."

Edited by xCAPx
  • Like 4

Yeah, just saw that! I think it's great.

While my head was spinning I missed what he said about hosting. What were the specifics? Was there per to per hosting?

• Like 1

Isn't above all else the point of the game about player interactions?  Seems goofy to me if they devote any serious resources to a single player thing.

If it's just hosting your own server or something then whatever.

Edited by Bororm

Yeah, just saw that! I think it's great.

While my head was spinning I missed what he said about hosting. What were the specifics? Was there per to per hosting?

I'm sorry my stream lagged at this point... I have no further info. I just heard that we will get three new vehicles to the SA soon :)

The more people playing single player, the less there are to populate the world.  I don't think its a good idea to split the players anymore than public and private hives and 50 man servers do.

If the game gets challenging enough (without player interaction) I don't see a problem with SP.

Hope it can be played offline then.

This would be the only reason why I would play SP; if I can't access internet at that time.

I think this is awesome. The whole interview was good information to hear. The steam workshop compatibility, and the new vehicles (with repairs needed) soon I'm really excited about.

Isn't above all else the point of the game about player interactions?  Seems goofy to me if they devote any serious resources to a single player thing.

If it's just hosting your own server or something then whatever.

What about all of those players that just want to get the best tier loot and shoot zombies? Like Hicks said, what if someone doesn't have a good internet connection, or wants to roleplay that they are the last survivor on earth. 

Plus being able to test your own mods will be nice.

I'm sure the single player would be tied into having your own server, but without other clients needing to connect to your box (as in LAN). 

Also, if they release SP before the game is fully released, we'll be able to test the builds on our own private hive to see what is new without having to worry about people scouring the map for new items as well.

The more people playing single player, the less there are to populate the world.  I don't think its a good idea to split the players anymore than public and private hives and 50 man servers do.

I doubt creating a single player will significantly reduce the amount of players in regular servers. In fact, if someone wanted to start by playing the single player, then move onto more PvP based interaction once they had more of an understanding of the game, you could argue that a SP would bring more players to the game.

Edited by tux

Finally i will be able to play this game without desync.... BEST GAME EVER

I think it's a horrible idea (at the time). Simply because it takes resources away from the "important" stuff. The game is already moving forward like a snail, this certainly won't help. It's something they should do once beta is out. 

If the game gets challenging enough (without player interaction) I don't see a problem with SP.

Hope it can be played offline then.

This would be the only reason why I would play SP; if I can't access internet at that time.

Pretty much this. I use to play daisy mod when i would travel for work and didn't have the internet(it was a single player version of DayZ mod) the experience wasnt great but then the PvE side of DayZ mod was never great so i guess if they can make it hard to survive it might be interesting again for times with no net..

I think it's a horrible idea (at the time). Simply because it takes resources away from the "important" stuff. The game is already moving forward like a snail, this certainly won't help. It's something they should do once beta is out. 

Which is exactly what I said in the announcement.

I'll try and grab some time during E3 to hop on the forums and answer Q's

• Like 5

Absolutely useless. The whole atmosphere and all that comes from the human players. One human around is more dangerous and thrilling than thousand zombies - no matter how frightening, deadly and "realistic" they are.

Since I've played an online MMO the first time back in 2005 (EQ2 - the best of all times) I can't play offline/single player MMOs any more - because of the missing players (missing other consciousnesses) out there that world is dead and pointless.

DayZ in SP mode may only be good for exploring the world without any dangers (AI is no real thread, even they may be more deadly than humans) and testing weapons and other equipment.

People who just want to wander around in a zombie world, play other games. DayZ is all about other players. The zombies are just an excuse to display a world whose society has fallen apart so people can return to their animalic instincts and "are not punished for killing species members".

Edited by RogueTrooper

Absolutely useless

Not quite. BI is a company, not a group of friendly modders doing stuff in their spare time. They're doing this to market their product to a wider public and as far as I can understand that's quite a sound business strategy. So, DayZ with a single player option it's quite far from being useless.

It's amazing the number of people on this board that take their personal preferences about features so seriously to think those represent the only way to create this game. So naive.

• Like 5

To each his own id say.

If you are too smallminded to understand why OPTIONS are good you surly wont understand ALPHURRR....srsly Folks....

People who just want to wander around in a zombie world, play other games. DayZ is all about other players. The zombies are just an excuse to display a world whose society has fallen apart so people can return to their animalic instincts and "are not punished for killing species members".

uhmm uhm....noone will force you to Play SP...i personaly dont care for SP in most of the games i Play.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

Hello there

Ive always been on the side of those who want an SP experience.

If one doesnt agree with the game being played in SP then simply do not play that portion of it.

It may not be a fully fledged environ tailored towards a full SP experience rather a way to test mods etc with the ability to also be able to play solo.

That said, even if resources are used to tweak the game, I very much doubt it will have any noticeable impact on the game's development.

This is not the death knell of DAYZ, simply another aspect being added to an already intriguing engine.

Lets wait until we get more info on the subject  when the guys have a little free time, they are rather busy at the moment.

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok
  • Like 2

Not quite. BI is a company, not a group of friendly modders doing stuff in their spare time. They're doing this to market their product to a wider public and as far as I can understand that's quite a sound business strategy. So, DayZ with a single player option it's quite far from being useless.

It's amazing the number of people on this board that take their personal preferences about features so seriously to think those represent the only way to create this game. So naive.

Business shouldn't trump their mission of creating a good game first and foremost, the game they started.  Devoting resources to something so divergent from the original goal of the title is heading down that path.  So is trying to port their game to consoles at this point.

How bout they focus on getting the game they started on finished, then they can branch off and do what they want with the franchise.  They aren't hurting for cash, and honestly bohemia seems to do best when they develop niche titles and don't try to appeal to the most amount of people.

What's amazing to me is the amount of people who put business above all else.  Money isn't everything.  And if you don't think game development (or any creative process) suffers when the goal shifts towards money rather than the original vision then you are the one who is naive.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

Which is exactly what I said in the announcement.

I'll try and grab some time during E3 to hop on the forums and answer Q's

Sorry must've missed the part about singleplayer being targeted for the beta phase. 

Well, seeing how the last 18 months of development went, I'm very eager to see if you can push out all planed features in the next 6 months. I do hope so, but if not, I'll wait ;). Because there is no other survival game out there that can reach the status DayZ has (or hopefully will have soon).

Does that feature complete include real base building? Do you by any chance have any info on how that is going to work? Will it be more like in Origins (some fixed buildings you can build) or more like in Epoch (where you could build pretty much anything). Or is it even some sort of underground structures you can build like Dean "dreamed" of during the beginning of the SA?

Hello there

Ive always been on the side of those who want an SP experience.

If one doesnt agree with the game being played in SP then simply do not play that portion of it.

It may not be a fully fledged environ tailored towards a full SP experience rather a way to test mods etc with the ability to also be able to play solo.

That said, even if resources are used to tweak the game, I very much doubt it will have any noticeable impact on the game's development.

This is not the death knell of DAYZ, simply another aspect being added to an already intriguing engine.

Lets wait until we get more info on the subject  when the guys have a little free time, they are rather busy at the moment.

Rgds

LoK

Of course, being against a feature you don't have to use, is completely stupid. Why would I care if someone wants to play DayZ in singleplayer? As long as I don't have to use it (which of course I won't), it won't affect me.

But I sometimes do get the feeling that they put to much weight on their own shoulders by adding feature after feature. And I'm afraid that they just can't live up to the expectations people have for the game. Just look at what was planned 12 months ago and then look at what they have planned now. The list is massive and I just hope they can do it all before the game becomes obsolete. 

Edited by phoboss

I really like SP as an option. Mind you, there sort-of already is an SP option - it's called a zero pop server...

• Like 1

Kind of like the idea.. It will be a good starting place for new players to learn the mechanics in a safer environment.. They can learn about the crafting, foraging, looting and the such like, how to sneak past or deal with zombies (when there are more and they are more of a threat) and things like that.. Having bought Standalone on day one without ever playing the mod, the game was quite a lot to take in initially and I would have welcomed an opportunity to spend a few hours running around the map in relative safety, learning about the gameplay and various areas.. This can only be a good thing in my opinion and I welcome it. People can get a good idea of the various systems in the game, then when they feel ready they can start playing on the proper servers.. Think of it as one massively open training level..

Edit: And yes, I know the main danger tends to be other players, which of course you won't be able to experience in single player, however, learning how to spot and deal with other players will be a lot easier to start to do when you aren't still trying to figure out the rest of the mechanics of the game...

Edited by GaleKast

I think there's good potential in this. Testing stuff out, mod things and no need to worry if the MP side goes full ape KoS fest.

• Like 1

Offline mode sounds really boring.  

I can see how single player could be useful to modders and people without internet access. I guess.  I've always felt that one of the best parts of learning the game was learning it the hard way through player interaction.  How effective will 'dayz with training wheels' be at preparing a player for the multiplayer setting?  I'm guessing not very effective.

Offline mode sounds really boring.  

I can see how single player could be useful to modders and people without internet access. I guess.  I've always felt that one of the best parts of learning the game was learning it the hard way through player interaction.  How effective will 'dayz with training wheels' be at preparing a player for the multiplayer setting?  I'm guessing not very effective.

No, you are correct it will not teach them how to interact and how to deal with players. It will allow them to learn the rest of the mechanics though.. To be honest, a lot of new players would benefit from this as a way to learn the crafting systems, how to survive and forage, cooking etc.. Then when they have learnt a little more and understand the systems, they can move to the MP servers and learn how to deal with players.. Being able to learn the basics solo and then learning more in MP is surely a good thing for most people.. Yeah most players who play already won't bother with it but for new players, this will be a valuable tool in developing their skills. 

Questions..

Can I turn up my view distance up in SP!!?

Can you execute code at anytime in SP?

Configuration viewer in SP?

Edited by Coheed_IV

To each his own id say.

If you are too smallminded to understand why OPTIONS are good you surly wont understand ALPHURRR....srsly Folks....

uhmm uhm....noone will force you to Play SP...i personaly dont care for SP in most of the games i Play.

I agree; options are good. More options are better.

Having said that, I doubt that there would be much demand for a SP version, if not for the "wizards" and the KOS'ers.