Sign in to follow this  
pureslayerz

DayZ Slowly dying ?

I remember playing DayZ Mod , a while ago I loved it , and once I heard a standalone was gona get released , I was so exited . But ever since it was released , theres nothing that addicted me like the mod . There is something missing , I just cant put my finger on it . Anyone else feel this way ? 

Feel free to share your opinion .

In the mod you could to pretty much anything.

Standalone is still working on that "anything" part.

Edited by therandomredstone
  • Like 1

I remember playing DayZ Mod , a while ago I loved it , and once I heard a standalone was gona get released , I was so exited . But ever since it was released , theres nothing that addicted me like the mod . There is something missing , I just cant put my finger on it . Anyone else feel this way ? 

Feel free to share your opinion .

Yup, the dev's are killing it. I have been watching SA go from being in the top 10 steam games played, week in and week out, to 17th then 23rd then 28th, and now 33rd. Shit even H1Z1 is out ranking it.

We had a group of 17 players and now only one person still plays, it's quite sad but completely understandable when the dev's have destroyed the single most important aspect of what made DayZ the most intense game out there. 

• Like 1

The natural outcome of every game in gaming history - people get bored and or just move on to other games - you played it because you found it to be fun, this doesnt last forever its just a natural cycle - it really doesnt matter what the devs do they all come to an end - take a long break and maybe when you come back it will be "fun" again for a while anyways

Edited by tiadashi
  • Like 1

I honestly think that most people are concerned about some potential mismanagement in regards to updates and fixing things. A lot of features that the community has requested, or a lot of bugs that the community has dealt with since day one, are either sloppily done or not done at all. I get that development is difficult and some things aren't able to be done easily from a time or resource perspective, but even then my patience with some basic issues is fading. A lot of promises came to fruition late or not at all. Once again, development is an arduous process. But when you say something is getting there and should be good to go in the third quarter or whatever, people will expect it in the third quarter and lose faith when it isn't even close to ready.

Then there's the whole dev/community issue. Regardless of how hard development is, there's not really a transparency to it. Nobody knows if these issues are being worked on because the dev reports are few and far between, and then often cryptic and empty: "Yeah, we have our team working on... stuff... and things..." There have been issues since launch that there's absolutely no feedback about getting around to. People get frustrated at this. Then they say they're taking a break for a month before the issues are ironed out and it might become a bit better but then there's no word and they just kind of forget about the game. That's me right now (well, I also am super busy now but that's just a personal thing.)

The hype has kind of dissipated by now and people are still frustrated that it's still alpha even after the game has been there for a year and a half. People distrust the early access idea now. I'd argue it's because of DayZ's development.

• Like 1

most of my friends are just waiting for a wipe and 057 to hit stable.

Edited by halp
  • Like 2

I'm sure many people will come back this Wednesday.

The game is far from finished. Of course there "is something missing".

Yup, the dev's are killing it. I have been watching SA go from being in the top 10 steam games played, week in and week out, to 17th then 23rd then 28th, and now 33rd. Shit even H1Z1 is out ranking it.

We had a group of 17 players and now only one person still plays, it's quite sad but completely understandable when the dev's have destroyed the single most important aspect of what made DayZ the most intense game out there. 

Out of curiosity, what have the Devs destroyed?

What to you is the 'single most important aspect' or the game?

In my opinion the game was meant to be a survival game, that's why I got it and that is how I see it progressing. The PVP side of the game was always secondary in my mind so I am not massively disappointed with the game's progress. I'm not ecstatic about it but I can handle a lot of the issues because I don't play a huge amount (few hours a week).

The saddest thing to me is the current issues with desynch in the game but I know it will get better as the engine and performance issues are worked on in time.

I've seen a few things said on streams and in these forums relating to the way that the player base is decreasing since .55 but don't forget that GTAV and The Witcher 3 were released which will naturally take players away from the game, along with issues to do with loot in the initial implementation of the current patch will have driven people away whilst waiting for the next update or for things like base building to progress.

Its june, New renderer when ? this game is f**ked until we see it and what it does.

Even with the new renderer beginning to be put in, it won't be a magic band aid that fixes all performance issues with the game. It will take time for things to be tweaked and optimized and the majority of those alterations will happen during the beta phase. Judging a game as broken during it's alpha stage is just ridiculous because things aren't functioning as intended due to it still being built.

As Hicks has said on numerous occasions the game will break, sometimes hard. Every update to the game changes the way it plays, sometimes for the better and often negatively but when it is all together and optimization starts then you can accurately judge the quality and potential of the game

Also, the 'it's june' part... yeah, by about 3 hours my time... Next update is probably Wednesday, what's to say the first renderer update isn't in that which would mean it has been delayed by about 2 weeks. Not bad considering they missed the .56 patch completely.

Edited by stinkenheim

most of my friends are just waiting for a wipe and 057 to hit stable.

This.

I have no motivation to play right now knowing that my stuff is probably going to be wiped at the most inconvenient moment.

I am also not one of those players who runs around dying every 15 minutes in Berezino. I think the game probably gets boring for those folks.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, what have the Devs destroyed?

The thrill of the hunt, being hunted, survival, intensity to name a few. Actually being scared of dying, it's gone.

FEAR! From everything 

In my opinion the game was meant to be a survival game, that's why I got it and that is how I see it progressing.

Survival and PvP go hand in hand. Zombies, food, the elements and OTHER PLAYERS should all be feared, like they use to. There are plenty of survival games that PvE only, they are usually boring and have a relatively small player base because wilderness survival will only be fun for a short amount of time. 

The saddest thing to me is the current issues with desynch in the game but I know it will get better as the engine and performance issues are worked on in time.

Thats not sad, thats development, it comes with Alpha builds. It is to be expected.

• Like 1

The thrill of the hunt, being hunted, survival, intensity to name a few. Actually being scared of dying, it's gone.

FEAR! From everything 

In my opinion the game was meant to be a survival game, that's why I got it and that is how I see it progressing.

Survival and PvP go hand in hand. Zombies, food, the elements and OTHER PLAYERS should all be feared, like they use to. There are plenty of survival games that PvE only, they are usually boring and have a relatively small player base because wilderness survival will only be fun for a short amount of time. 

Thats not sad, thats development, it comes with Alpha builds. It is to be expected.

Sounds like it just wore off for you as all games do on people - you were just fine and "fearful" when you started playing and the amount of desynch and being concerned about other players havent changed over time enough to make a difference, (at least for me, been bugs/desynch since i started playing) other then me becoming more aware which made my survival much higher and therefore I have less to fear from other players (has nothing to do with the devs)

There are precisely two things that existed in the mod that were addictive which do not currently exist in SA. It's so simple...

Vehicles and Bases.

Vehicles. There were a variety of vehicles in the mod, and many servers had the numbers of them jacked way the hell up so people could actually experience them. There were vehicles to choose from and owning and storing one was possible as a group. When mods like epoch and overwatch came out then people had even more access to vehicles through in game currency traders or constructing our own, which made the game even more addictive without ruining it by flooding the server with vehicles.

Bases Bases didn't actually exist in the original mod but once modding happened basebuilding mods quickly became the standard DayZ model; everyone played the mods. Vehicles are more important to the adictiveness of Dayz (access to and variety of) but eventually with modding base building came in and provided players with a legitimate end game other than stashing a vehicle or tent. in a forest.

Right now the mod has tons of vehichles including aircraft, base building, extra maps, and more stuff. The SA by comparison is less than half a game as of yet because vehicles and basebuilding are still not really a part of the game.

It's a miricle that the SA is more popular than the DayZ mod for these reasons (if it even is) and can only be attributed to player lyoalty to DayZ itself. Once real base building mechanics get added in, and real vehicles like cars, bikes, helis boats, planes, dayZ SA is going to be like a massively improved souped up version of the most popular DayZ mods.

Go away until the game is at least half developped before you declare it this or that. It's just a baby, don't throw it out with the bath water.

EDIT: for all of you about to whine about how long DayZ has been in development, it takes years to make a game like DayZ if you want to do it right and not just rip off an outdated engine like the mod was able to do.

Edited by FlimFlamm

Sounds like it just wore off for you as all games do on people - you were just fine and "fearful" when you started playing and the amount of desynch and being concerned about other players havent changed over time enough to make a difference, (at least for me, been bugs/desynch since i started playing) other then me becoming more aware which made my survival much higher and therefore I have less to fear from other players (has nothing to do with the devs)

Nope still continue to play a lot of this genre of game, just not SA.

You have a peculiar opinion.  I could see how a five year old would think that a mechanic is killing daddy's truck, but anyone at least halfway through highschool should be able to realize what is really happening.  So many people complain about things not working right yet, or the bugs that never get addressed, but fail to see why some bugs just should not be addressed at this stage of completion.  I am assuming that you know about the major modifications to the engine, upon which many future features will be built.  So why the hell would they waste the time fixing parts of the software that they are certain will be thrown out in the near future?  That's about as foolish as repainting your house before tearing off the siding to replace it with new.

It sounds like you lost interest simply because persistence is being forced, rather than because the first try had such major problems.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 2

Lots of issues. Content is coming out at a trickle, and when it does it has issues (whats the point of trying to build a tent base if it will get wiped on Wednesday?) or Vehicles, Oh great a truck, well fuck theres three of us so we'll have to forget if unless we want to leave one person because the third can't sit in the middle. Then we have the servers that are loot farms and the lack of interest to deal with them (Hey don't tell it on the forums, instead send 8 random emails to every server host and hope one of them gets to it.). We also have the fact that when I try to get someone in my TS interested in the game, before I can link up with them, he dies from bleeding out or starving on a server picked clean. None of these issues are being addressed in a timely order and myself and the only other person in my group with a smidgen of interest wonder why the devs haven't addressed the issue with the central loot economy they want badly where what happens when certain items are taken out of circulation by players that log out and never log back in? Will these items be lost forever until a hive wipe? Will they not come back at all?

Edited by Dale Gribble

You're not playing DayZ standalone.

You're playing 0.55/0.57 of DayZ Alpha Standalone version.

MANY MANY MANY games have also been delayed.

I'm prepared for up to a year worth of delays t o1.0

Waves of interest in DayZ come and go and bigger changes will bring more and more interest.

I think most players lack the imagination to envision what DayZ SA will play like.

People looking for the mod with better graphics and security will be disappointed.

DayZ mod was inferior and not capable of completing Rockets vision, therefore the SA will be a true representative of what "real DayZ" will be for quite few more years.

• Like 1

In the pursuit of becoming the most hardcore anti-game it appears to me that the focus on gameplay and fun game mechanics was lost. Mod had all sorts of gameplay motivators; rare items, rare vehicles, bases, factions (hero vs. bandit). We currently have items (not rare items that offer an asymmetrical advantage) and vehicles (not rare vehicles...)

Players love motivators. The dev team needs to focus more on motivators in its game design.

Edited by scriptfactory

Nope still continue to play a lot of this genre of game, just not SA.

Not sure how this applies to what i said but fair enough 8)

quick answer. yes.

extended answer.

right now the game is basically based on finding loot. when you take away loot people get relatively bored dieing and re-spawning. until they fix persistence, which i hope is .57 I won't be playing... alot of people feel the same way.

buggy zombies i can deal with, randomly walking into a house and descending into the map and dieing i can deal with. getting killed by hackers i can deal with. having 15fps in cities i can deal with... having my tents despawn and the choppers being royally jacked up.... i can deal with.

spawning on the coast and starving 4/5 times before i want to waste 20mins if not longer picking berries and apples just to make it inland.. well yea, not worth the time playing, because, wait for it, its annoying...

its not a challenge to survive... it's a complete and utter waste of time.

random loot is great, no loot in cites but 2 million items spawning at vybor military base... not so great.

(waiting on the you're not playing the game right comments)

• Like 1

What made the mod fun was the PvP. It was the PvP that made Dayz popular. Why are they  doing everything they can to prevent PvP from happening is beyond me. Focusing on PvE is a big mistake and they are not doing it right. Zombies are STILL a joke. In the mod they were secondary to me, because I was interested in PVP and not PvE. Me and my friends had so much fun fighting others. In the SA I don't even get gear I care about losing. This game have lost the intense feeling and the adrenaline you get when having good gear. The SA proves Rocket was just lucky with the mod. He couldn't even see what people liked about it and not. He failed so hard. The only reason this game sold so many copies is the thought it would be like the mod. I guess Rocket fooled a lot of people.

• Like 2

I don't think the game is in a great place right now.....floundering a little to say the least. If I were a betting man I'd be a little nervous. But it could be too early to say. I guess this week's update, that is...if there is an update, will be an interesting one at that. 

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

do any of you play experimental?

from spawn to dieing of dehydration/hunger is 4mins.

this is whats coming to stable. good luck. unless you love picking apples.

and fyi... i picked apples until i was energized and hydrated... ran from kamiwobo to MSTA....

died picking apples.

fun, 10/10

• Like 1

What's more and more missing, is fear. The fear of death and loosing all. The biggest problem on the other hand is that people always compare SA to the Mod. While the Mod had some good aspects, it also has limitations and the few pros about it, don't match up to the cons in my opinion. But to stay on topic, I feel less frightened than in the beginning of SA. In the Mod I felt mostly annoyed. Both aren't playable at the moment, but I think that the SA may overcome the situation in the future, maybe.