boneboys

Exp Update: 0.57128035*

So.. anyone had any luck hunting? I've checked a number of places where I typically find animals and I haven't found any. :(  This includes "farm" animals which tend to be pretty solid bets.

• Like 3

Terrible news everybody, I lost my trumpet:( I'm inconsolable. lol

I couldn't get it out of my hands no matter what. I tried the hot bar, eating etc then I tried logging out and in and it was gone!  

What's up with all those crashes when you kill someone or someone gets killed in an area around 1000m near you?

Whoah!!!  Southwest 0-2 was a 1PP server, now it's a 3pp server.  Something strange going on!  So much for that camp and truck I guess.

Also 3 pp servers Aus/NZ and SNG 0-1 are both CTDing me when I try to join.

You might want to try several different servers, if you haven't already.

I tried multiple servers but I don't know exactly which crashes my game and which one doesn't. Which server are you on?

I also had no luck finding any animals. I kinda stuck to the Dolina area for a while, thinking with all these fields hunting would be fantastic, but nothing... So I am going to try crafting yet another snare that's gonna disappear at restart... *sigh*

Where did you guys have luck with finding any animals at all? I may have to try and make my way up to the west end of the map, maybe swim to the prison for sheetz and giggles or at least try to find wide, open areas where there may be a deer or boar to be found.

Zeds can still punch your lights out if you're not healthy, but it seems they take longer to notice you. Whether due to lag or Zed AI I do not know.

I also had no luck finding any animals. I kinda stuck to the Dolina area for a while, thinking with all these fields hunting would be fantastic, but nothing... So I am going to try crafting yet another snare that's gonna disappear at restart... *sigh*

Where did you guys have luck with finding any animals at all? I may have to try and make my way up to the west end of the map, maybe swim to the prison for sheetz and giggles or at least try to find wide, open areas where there may be a deer or boar to be found.

Zeds can still punch your lights out if you're not healthy, but it seems they take longer to notice you. Whether due to lag or Zed AI I do not know.

The thing I hate about them in the current stable patch is that can ruin your gear in like 1 or 2 blows. From pristine to ruined or badly damaged just sucks.

• Like 1

After playing for a good four hour marathon of DayZ experimental...I can confidently say it was one of the most enjoyable times I've ever had with this game. I haven't played in about 2 months or so since the loot in the private shards was all fudged up...

...but, damn. Devs knocked it out of the park with this Exp iteration. Everything was super responsive, FPS was decent, new items were nifty, and looking for loot (even though obviously it's not finished) was actually far more enjoyable than hitting the town's three hotspots and being up poop creek without a poop stick. 

A long way to go, still...there were issues, but the path ahead of us seemed bright. 

• Like 6

Was just playing for a bit. I spotted a truck that wasn't in a normal spawn outside of a construction site inland of Berezino. Checked the site for any movement for a while, then jumped in the truck to check the gas (it was full). 

When I exited the truck I experienced something I had never seen before. My mouse movements were suddenly all laggy when looking around, and my it felt like my guy was on ice skates when I moved around. Didn't seem to be a lag/desync problem, as picking up objects and opening/closing doors was working fine.

Got back in the truck and drove around, handling seemed a bit off, but nothing like my character's movement. 

Not sure if this is a new bug or if it's something that anyone's experienced before. I doubt I could replicate it.

Other than that, loving the new build.

Also, you can now enter those small huts that spawn a ton of stuff on that patio, which you previously couldn't enter. Doesn't seem to be spawning loot (other than on the patio), but I'm glad we can finally enter those buildings.

EDIT: Lots of fucking memory leaks though... makes it kinda hard to get a good session in, along with all of the random (unscheduled) server restarts.

Edited by tux

I tried multiple servers but I don't know exactly which crashes my game and which one doesn't. Which server are you on?

Southwest 0-2 seemed to be working But, it was a 1pp server that was switched to a 3pp server at some point today.

Southwest 0-2 seemed to be working But, it was a 1pp server that was switched to a 3pp server at some point today.

Just read a comment here that this happens when someone dies/gets killed within a certain range.

I think he was right though. As soon as I killed the bandit who was trying to kill me my game crashed.

When I'm out in the woods or in the fields with no town around this almost never happens. So I guess we found our cause.

After playing for a good four hour marathon of DayZ experimental...I can confidently say it was one of the most enjoyable times I've ever had with this game. I haven't played in about 2 months or so since the loot in the private shards was all fudged up...

...but, damn. Devs knocked it out of the park with this Exp iteration. Everything was super responsive, FPS was decent, new items were nifty, and looking for loot (even though obviously it's not finished) was actually far more enjoyable than hitting the town's three hotspots and being up poop creek without a poop stick. 

A long way to go, still...there were issues, but the path ahead of us seemed bright. 

Indeed, I really like the way they implemented the surviving in nature right when they made the game a little harder.

I have a new goal though. When it's back I'm going to find it.

And I'm going to figure out what the fox actually says, for fox sake.

• Like 3

We should be able to just eat the pumpkin seeds if desperate enough.

Why don't any radios in houses work?

Some faucets should have chance to work in houses.

Plenty of homes have well water from their taps.

Maybe houses near wells should have a chance for working faucets.

• Like 5

You know those boarded up wells? Combine a bucket with a rope and let's try to get some of that old murky disgusting water out there, maybe with a slight chance of catching sardines or edible frogs or whatever else lurks down there?

Oh, and do the sardine traps work in lakes or only in the ocean? I remember you needed a plastic bottle that you cut open - what was the other thing... wire?

Edited by Demonica

Another thing I learned today: when you combine two 6-stacks of rags, you can craft an improvised rope.

Pretty sure it can be used for anything that a regular rope can be used to craft, and the model is the same as the rope that you can find. 

• Like 18

We should be able to just eat the pumpkin seeds if desperate enough.

Why don't any radios in houses work?

Some faucets should have chance to work in houses.

Plenty of homes have well water from their taps.

Maybe houses near wells should have a chance for working faucets.

Shoots, you seen all the sunflowers around?  They have seeds too, we should be able to search them like berry plants, I imagine this is in the works though.  I keep walking up to them hoping for a command prompt.

I always thought that at least one or two of the light houses on the coast should be solar powered, so that at night, the light actually works.  Kind of like how the bells in Cherno still toll from time to time.  On that same sort of note, some houses must have a gravity fed system that use stored rain water, especially in that part of the world.

I would speculate that the radios in the houses had been left on and the batteries are pretty much melted inside and are therefore ruined.

Another thing I learned today: when you combine two 6-stacks of rags, you can craft an improvised rope.

Pretty sure it can be used for anything that a regular rope can be used to craft, and the model is the same as the rope that you can find. 

GOOD ONE!! Score one for the tux!

Edited by Barnabus

Realistically, the flashlight should be a treasured tool. Perhaps once the new renderer is in place, the devs will revisit some of the lighting quirks. Let's hope so.

Yes - flashlights, when used, should not make the entire house shine like a lightbox. Hope the new renderer fixes that, and, with proper flashlight discipline (not shining them through windows, or at walls opposite from the windows), they will be harder to detect.

On a related note, random idea: Flashlight + Rags/Bandages (EDIT: t-shirts too?) = Muted/Stealth Flashlight, with possibly the color and intensity of the light depending on the rags' color and the number of rags used.

Edited by Veyda
  • Like 2

You know those boarded up wells? Combine a bucket with a rope and let's try to get some of that old murky disgusting water out there, maybe with a slight chance of catching sardines or edible frogs or whatever else lurks down there?

Oh, and do the sardine traps work in lakes or only in the ocean? I remember you needed a plastic bottle that you cut open - what was the other thing... wire?

i think you just need bait for the fish trap. worms.

You need to PSA that sh*t on Reddit! Spread the word! Seriously, that's huge. People need to know about this, and you should get the credit for discovering it ;) You wouldn't happen to have any screenshots of the process or anything, would you? I'm about to head off to bed and my computer is 20 minutes way from me or I would fire it up and take shots myself...

I explored the second round of 0.57 map changes this evening. Berezino now has an even more developed coastline to go with the new north end, complete with a revamped lumber yard, a lighthouse, etc. I was able to see the new roadblocks near the factory (Solnichniy) and the military base (Pavlovo). The revamped fields in the southwest are nothing spectacular, but they did a good job giving that area a makeover to make it look more like the fields up north.

http://imgur.com/a/3F7zy

74b5KhC.jpg

LinDslT.jpg

• Like 7

You need to PSA that sh*t on Reddit! Spread the word! Seriously, that's huge. People need to know about this, and you should get the credit for discovering it ;) You wouldn't happen to have any screenshots of the process or anything, would you? I'm about to head off to bed and my computer is 20 minutes way from me or I would fire it up and take shots myself...

Hopped in exp to take these real quick:

Crafting Improvised Rope With Rags:

Use one 6-stack of rags with another 6-stack of rags to get the option to craft improvised rope.

hFmlMDL.jpg

Ai4brbM.jpg

I tried crafting it with a non-6 stack of rags and it wouldn't work (used 3-stacks, maybe it works with 5-stacks).

Haven't tried using these on a stick or burlap sack, so maybe further crafting with the improvised rope isn't implemented yet.

Once they stop spawning ropes next to burlap sacks everywhere this crafting method will be a lot more useful.

Edited by tux
  • Like 5

anyone tried to craft the new fishtrap with nettings?

i tried it with nettings and rope but that don´t work. :(

any ideas what is needed to craft it?

I believe this is referring to energy/hydration depletion rates. Some servers will cause you to get hungry/thirsty faster based on configuration. 

Read this somewhere, either here on the forums or from Eugen's twitter. I'll try to find the source.

Edited by tux

Can anyone else confirm that both zeds and animals are not spawning? I've cheked everywhere I know of for some cows :(

Can anyone else confirm that both zeds and animals are not spawning? I've cheked everywhere I know of for some cows :(

When I started up the latest build today, I spawned in Berezino, and saw a single zombie. He chased me around, making a ton of noise, almost like there were 3 or 4 zombies following me (the growl/scream audio clips were kinda overlapping). Went inland and never saw another zombie after I ditched the first one. Not sure what to make of that.

As for animals, didn't see any today, but I stayed in towns and on main roads, so I wouldn't be surprised if I just missed the animals (if there actually were any).

Haven't seen anything besides a chicken for quite a while.  That full-stack rags to improvised rope makes it moot though.  No more lamenting over useless chicken guts.

I've only been playing since January; but is it just me, or have these last couple weeks been the most exciting time in development so far?  The rate these guys are pushing new experimental builds and these loads of new features, it's like christmas every day.  .57 stable should be a sight to behold.  Hopefully the devs get a nice little vacation while we try to break it.  Maybe .58 can bring back AI somewhat quickly if enough useful CLE data is generated in short order.

• Like 1

Terrible news everybody, I lost my trumpet:( I'm inconsolable. lol

I couldn't get it out of my hands no matter what. I tried the hot bar, eating etc then I tried logging out and in and it was gone!  

Only way I have found to unstick something in my hands is to go up a ladder.