TerribleTomato

Why did you buy this game?

Arma does the same with me, I have to roll back my drivers to ones from 2002 for it to work lol.

Wow what the heck kinda machines are you guys on? Can't say I've EVER had a crashing problem with arma 3.

I snagged standalone for what it will be not what it is, I still stick to vanilla mod for now (especially after last patch, keep going guys!) but am definitely looking forward to dayz standalone being more complete.

got the mod for free

played a thousand hours or maybe two thousand hours

so when the SA came out I bought it, of course

as far as I'm concerned I've put a very tiny bit of money back into the process.

For the two games this works out at about ten cents for every 20 hours so far, still getting cheaper

this means I've paid a lot less than it was worth to me, by any standards, and I still have a lifetime free membership to use

so now it's just a totally free ride, ya know ?

all the things I like about it - are the things I like

and all the things I dont like are also what I like about it

good game (crazy game)

you start on a beach, when you get it wrong you die

apart from that you're on your own, anything goes, work it out

what's not to like ?

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2

Bought at it's cheapest price, to sit on like a hen until the actual thing hatches.. it's been a LONG wait so far.

Had the Arma series for ages and got slightly burnt on the Mil Sim aspect with large groups.  The mod was released and it was instant heaven surviving on my own with no orders from a regimented teamspeak.  I still dabble on the Mil Sim side with A3 but not like I used to my enjoyment has been much more on root survival with DayZ.

• Like 3

I still don't know why I bought DayZ. I question myself everyday.

• Like 1

I bought it because I expected a fresh new feeling

This should hold you over for awhile till things improve! 8D

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

I bought it because of the one review I read where the person said something along the lines of "had a backpack full of canned food... and starved to death because I couldn't find a can opener."

• Like 1

My little brother bought it for me then forced me to pay him back, the little blighter.

My little brother bought it for me then forced me to pay him back, the little blighter.

Forced you? How big is your "little" brother lol D=! I bought standalone because I liked the mods but only two of them (dayz origins , dayz aftermath) truly captured my attention as a "survival zombie apocalypse game" and I instantly saw how dayz standalone was going to improve on that survival feel ... It has and keeps on going , I can't wait to see the end product !

I was looking for a game to bring some fun and joy to my gaming life..... So I decided to go ahead and purchase Dayz and been a complete noob to it my first few lives were very brutal and unforgiving and extremely short, my 4th life ended by a zombie who somehow broke my leg after i had just got hydrated/energized and not knowing in advance that I would need a stick and a rag to fix that..... i had to crawl around for 15 min to find a zombie to kill me so i could respawn.  On to my 5th life i was even more successful in that I made it as a far as the airfield west of Grishino and had a loaded gun and full back pack for the first time only to be shot by another player going out the door.

Sitting here feeling pretty despondent about how my 5th life ended tonight tbh, I was just on my way to go somewhere safe and plant some pumpkins and live happily ever after. I would like to thank the Devs for creating an experience that is enjoyably depressing.  :thumbsup:  :D

This video right here:

• Like 1

Specifically, I heard about the DayZ mod on another general message board I frequent.  I didn't quite "get it", other than it sounded like some sort of online rollplaying game.  Maybe similar to a zombie Everquest or Warcraft Online.  I had no idea since there were no images.  Later, I heard about how "groundbreaking" it was so I thought I'd check out some YouTube clips.

The first clip I came across was of a gang of bandits driving up and down the coast road in a bus in the pitch black of night.  They picked up some guy, drove him north into some base in the middle of nowhere and made him fight some other newbie to death with axes in a pit encircled by road flares and barbed wire. 

I think what sold me was how brutal and immersive the game seemed, in spite of the clunky graphics.  Like it wasn't some manic run & gun zombie arcade game.  Like you could imagine the frustration of spending hours trying to scrape by with some cans of beans and maybe a pistol, only to have six dudes in Shemagh tactical scarves and Ghillie suits with silenced full auto weapons just toy with you.

Anyhow, I bought Arma II and downloaded the Mod the next weekend my GF went home to her parents and just played it for hours.

The SAs had some great moments too, but I don't know that it's grabbed me as much as the Mod did when it first came out.

This should hold you over for awhile till things improve! 8D

That wouldn't be a good idea since right now the game seems like a diet version.

That wouldn't be a good idea since right now the game seems like a diet version.

Diet versions are PURE evil! 8(

I read a very early report in PC Gamer about a mod for an open world zombie apocalypse game and that was enough for me.

Have been playing sub 30 fps for so long now I think I will be Neo from the Matrix if I ever played at 60 fps.

• Like 1

I bought this because of Frankie and now he doesn't even upload vids of SA anymore.

• Like 1

As most game I buy, it all starts on YouTube. The more realistic a game can be the better and Zombies just adds to the fun.

I wanted a game that offers a diverse experience with a mix of PvE/survival and PvP gameplay that is also unforgiving and feels quite authentic. DayZ has potential to become this maybe more so than any other one. I also like to explore and experiment so the game being early access is not that much of a hindrance.

Though I actually disliked server hopping even before I started playing and waited until they finally increased the server switch time to 10 minutes before buying it. Well... they made a step backwards soon after. As long as server hopping persists in this easy, low risk but rewarding form all of the potential is wasted.

Edited by Evil Minion

I read the MaximumPC review on Dayz and they got me hooked.

I brought it so I had something else to ignorantly whine and bitch about.

In seriousness. I saw a video on the original mod, and thought it was such a fascinating idea for a game.
I saved up money, got a computer to run it (I actually messed up picking a proper computer, and had to do a lot of optimization on the computer and the games to get steady 30/40fps and no lag).

I forget which game I got first, mod or not. Either way, I fell in love with SA, even in .38 when it was absolutely bare bones (anyone who thinks .50/+ is boring and has nothing to do or lacks features has no fucking idea). 
The mod ran like shit on my PC even though it was older. And I hated the menu/inventory system so damn much. I'd rather play SA .38 than the mod. I wound up just using Arma 2 to play Wasteland.

Edited by Deadjuice