Sign in to follow this  
SMoss

Status Report - 06 May 15

uWfcS60.jpg

Greetings Survivors,

We're rapidly approaching the experimental push of 0.56, and we've discussed over the last few weeks some of the things you can expect from this update to the Steam branch. I'd like to recap a few key points though, as we're close to this push:

VXX6HJ0.jpg

- Rebalancing of Infected damage threshold
- Redistribution of existing infected spawns to high population areas
- Bugfixing on Per-Item-Quantity control (Central Economy)
- Bugfixing on Infected Alert SFX
- Bugfixing on Infected movement 
- Redesigned Inventory tech (engine side)
- New firearms / long range optics attachment
- Stary Sobor evacuation camp
- Bugfixes on various known duplication vulnerabilities

Tied with the 0.56 update to Stable branch, we'll see a hive wide reset (public/private) - including local storage data (player camps, vehicles)

OivxCIK.jpg

Development is ongoing with the hive side economy control, in addition to future bug fixing development continues on the functional side, with the next major goal being region control over item spawn types. (removing the restriction of structure types only in certain areas of the map). Internally, the programming and design teams are working hard on analyzing server side performance, player position desync, and other critical issues affecting Early Access gameplay.
In some cases, resolutions to these issues are tied to the implementation of new technology to replace the legacy systems inherited from the start of the project - all of them however will be ongoing goals for the team over the coming months.

The bulk of the workload over the last month was centered around the refactorization of the inventory system. It became clear that the existing tech behind the inventory wasn't going to be able to meet the needs of the project, and carried with it its own vulnerabilities. The redesign stripped large amounts of the system, and redesigned specifically to meet the needs of DayZ and upcoming changes to DayZ's core technology. 

- Support for AI and Vehicle Inventory
- Removing limitation on "in hands" as a virtual slot (still occupying space in container)
- Dynamic changing of cargo capacity - eg: lowering when damaged, raising when repaired
- Manual item rotation
- Support for redesign of Inventory UI
- Support for EnScript (Enfusion Scripting Language)
- And much, much more..

Looking at the Central Economy side of the fence, tracking the metrics on loot spawning provides some interesting details:

- Chernarus + features 8,725 buildings (and wrecks combined)
- 1,742,796 potential item spawn points are spread across the entirety of Chernarus + (Not counting dynamic events)
- Of the 8,725 buildings/wrecks across Chernarus + 410 of them are greenhouses

With the 0.56 iteration of the central economy we gain finer control over item spawn locations, but we still have a ways to go. As each update gets pushed to steam, we'll see finer and finer control over item spawn locations and types, as well as supporting dynamic random spawns - that will ensure unique spawns of valued items across the map. Who knows, maybe someday you'll get really lucky and find an M4A1 in that barn over the hill? 

As you all dive into the experimental push of 0.56 (not yet live) please keep in mind that like many things in the development of DayZ, the new systems and tech are works in progress (much like DayZ itself) and are incomplete, and more than likely contain their fair share of issues. Please make sure to report any issues found on the official feedback tracker at feedback.dayzgame.com

See you out there,
- Biran Hicks / Lead Producer
(THIS ONE TIME)

• Like 17

I'm very much looking forward to vehicle inventory.

As a map-obsessed player I'm also super stoked about the Stary Sobor tents, too ;)

• Like 2

Uuuuuh, so much anticipation!

Thanks for news and hard work devZ!

I won't sleep the same until 0.56. :P

-snip- Biran Hicks / Lead Producer
(THIS ONE TIME)

Who's this Biran guy?

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 3

Uuuuuh, so much anticipation!

Thanks for news and hard work devZ!

I won't sleep the same until 0.56. :P

Who's this Biran guy?

it's a fresh hired person who's job is to torture us with future awsome features while we wait for 0.56 :)

OH, forgot to ask, in that preview of the new scope, you can see a new zombie model. Is that gonna be in the next Exp?

I have one question, with .56 can we expect the loot to no longer explode in certain areas? I have heard this was a "duping" technique by using a fireplace and the central economy combined, so I guess it's a 2 part question, will the explosions be fixed and that technique be fixed?

dynamic random spawns - is the most interesting thing of all, ofc for me :)

Any idea when the new renderer will go live?

Next month at the earliest, and maybe not "all" of it.

Edited by Tatanko

- Biran Hicks / Lead Producer

(THIS ONE TIME)

LOL!!! It's been more than just once. You know it!  :P That Biran is such a guy.

Still so stoked about the upcoming update. Since big changes to "tech" will cause longer gaps between updates, will the Project-timeline be updated? Does anyone even use the Project-timeline (devs included)? Should we expect longer gaps from now on? 

• Like 2

Tied with the 0.56 update to Stable branch, we'll see a hive wide reset (public/private) - including local storage data (player camps, vehicles)

FUCK.

Or does this only mean tents and not characters?

Was that stary mil tents I saw? Mmmmmhmmmmm

• Like 1

Biran Hicks.....

This just proves the incompetence of these devs..... Fire them all!

On a slightly more serious note, keep it up boys. The shits about to start gettin' real, I can feel it, it's like a fizzing sensation right behind my penis.

you mean the farmer zombie ? he's in since 0.54 or 0.55.

:o Really???? I haven't seen that damned zed, ever.

So somebody fill me in on the significance of Stary Sobor tents, this seems a reference to something that was, is no longer but shall be again soon.

they are not the most common infected, but you can still see them from time to time.

i remember at least 2 encounters with them, one in the farm, south-west of pustoshka (i've been attacked by both the farmer and the grandpa infected at the same time) and south of the windy mountain.

I have some fond memories of that hill above the old Stary tents........

• Like 1

Is .56 being pused to stable this week as well?  BE keeps warning me of an impending hive and character wipe?

Is .56 being pused to stable this week as well?  BE keeps warning me of an impending hive and character wipe?

My educated guess is if  everything goes as expected. It will be a quick push to stable if they are giving you a warning.That is of course if everything goes to plan and there are no unforeseen consequences.  They have been taking their time on the exp. branch probably to help ensure there is a relatively early stable push from it.

Edited by Scarcifer

:o Really???? I haven't seen that damned zed, ever.

I tend to see them far north as well.

• Like 1

I tend to see them far north as well.

How far? I usually get a little further north than Stary Sobor.

This is good new I'm just excited about the central loot economy everything will be balanced. This exp update is taking sometime now I'm ready to get my hands on the SVD and winchester model 70.

• Like 1