Sign in to follow this  
thomas05

problem with saying "friendly"

hello,

i came across lots of players last week. (they almost all killed me).

i really want to say friendly with voice chat but the doctor sais i'm not allowed to speak for a month because of some problems (i know, sounds strange doesn't it) so i can't use voice chat to say: friendly! and nobody listens to direct communication btw

what should i do? they don't listen to direct communication. 

thx for reading

Edited by thomas05

Saying friendly will get you shot, you might be better off actually. 

Somebody claiming to be friendly over and over makes me think they are hiding the fact that they are not friendly.

• Like 3

Don't tell them you're friendly unless they ask if you are. Always SHOW you are friendly. Rather say, hey man, how are you, anything you need? etc.

Don't say you're friendly, BE FRIENDLY.

• Like 14

if i couldn't speak and i wanted to live for a long time i would hide or avoid all human though that might get boring. you could if you see someone hide your stuff in a stash like backpack then do the surrender and type not hostile and state what your there for food ammo clothing and that you'd be glad to help them in any way. not sure what else you could do honestly.

• Like 1

You usually know pretty quickly if folk wanna kill you or not. If the do, it's often from behind and you never see it coming. If you have a weapon in your hands and the other guy doesn't then just put yours away.

• Like 1

So far when I have the jump on someone and say "how's it going?" and I have my machine gun pointed in their direction, it shows I am not going to kill them unless they give me a reason too. Things usually work out pretty well at that point if they are friendly.  Sadly I have heard people say "How's it going?" and shot me the moment I stopped, cause I'm an easier target stopped. I have had people shoot at me when I kept running while I said "hiya" back to them. I have had people who acted friendly for a few minutes until we were saying goodbye and they got the drop on me and blam! Sadly I don't trust anyone anymore, unless they are my friend and in the game with me and even then they sometimes accidentally shoot me "LOL" cause this game is tense. If I see someone I usually hide and watch and follow them and see what they are up too, cause it is like playing the game with someone, only they don't know it. :-D But they usually vanish because it's hard to follow off to the side and stay hidden and stay up with them. I'm on a private server now and we chat in team speak and they all know each other and no one shoots anyone unless someone they don't know well comes on.

• Like 1

i really want to say friendly with voice chat but the doctor sais i'm not allowed to speak for a month because of some problems (i know, sounds strange doesn't it) 

Jesus. It's not any of my business, I'll grant, but why?

I don't use voice chat. I usually play late (between 9pm and 1am) so I don't want to wake anyone up. I also hate the sound of my own voice, so I prefer typing.

Typing obviously puts you at a disadvantage since you have to stop to write your message, but besides voice communication there's no other option. Can be handy if you've spotted somebody but they don't know where you are, though, since they can't pinpoint you via sound. Generally speaking I tend to avoid communicating with someone who has the capacity to kill me (unless they initiate speech) since they could easily kill me while I type.

At the very least wave. Having somebody not respond or just stare blankly at you looks shifty as fuck.

• Like 1

Don't tell them you're friendly unless they ask if you are. Always SHOW you are friendly. Rather say, hey man, how are you, anything you need? etc.

Don't say you're friendly, BE FRIENDLY.

Exactly!  I always sneak up behind someone and ask "are you friendly, or should I just blow your head off with my shotgun?"

9/10 times they turn out to be friendly!

Also, don't just run up to other players.  I know you're just trying to give me a hug, but I need my personal space.

• Like 1

You could try putting a short note in a teddy bear.  Maybe drop a can of peaches.  You'll probably get killed.  I use a sawn-off as a handshake, but I always carry extra shoes and pants.

Do the friendly dance with q and e, that gesture is so cute and disarming only stupid 12 year olds will try to take a shot if you do it.

Edited by Herkyl Puuro

Can't use a mic?

Mute, lone-wolf, KOS bandit is the style of play for you!  Don't even try to talk to people, you may as well just be a douche if you aren't going to be able to communicate properly.

• Like 1

I don't do 'friendly' anymore. It results in many quick deaths. Even through misunderstanding.

Got shot the other day while talking with this guy. We both had our guns out and were trying to suss out whether there was a threat (I always have my gun out, but if you're nice I'm no threat at all to you) and a 3rd party shot at us. I know it was a 3rd party because the shot was from a .22 and I had a Repeater and he had an MP5. This guy starts freaking out saying I shot at him and then wastes me. Then I hear him get wasted by the guy with the Sporter. 

Best just not to approach people in cities at all.

Best just not to approach people in cities at all.

Yeah, that in-game chat is a real buzzkill. Got me a time or two.

People who type or who aren't on mic automatically can't be trusted. I learned that lesson the hard way. Anyone who suggests otherwise hasn't spent enough time around the mutes.

Since you can't be trusted you may as well act like a crazed lunatic. I might suggest the time honored Day-Z tradition of running around in your underwear with a mask on, brandishing a magnum or sawed off. Since you do in fact have a mic you could also play some music through it via your cell phone or whatever - use your music to define just what kind of lunatic you are. Are you the heavy metal listening sawed off shotty flesh eating brand of crazy, or the clown music hack a guy to death with a hockey stick crazy? Or maybe you're a pink dress "all you need is love" bandage and apple gifting kind of crazy.

You'll still have fun playing in crazy mode, no doubt about it.

They are always friendly when you are armed and have the drop on them  
Just like i bet you are always "friendly" when some one has it over you 
Stop pretending like this is a thing . I have yet to be a part of or witness someone call "friendly" and the other retort with "NO" and fire on them 

I play at night and I have this same problem because my computer is right next to where my wife sleeps and if I talk on a mic she'll cut my scrote off. My rule of thumb is:

1. Act non-threatening (weapons put away).
  2. Don't stop and stair all odd, as if you're thinking how to kill the person.
  3. Don't juke back and forth as if you're ready to kill the person.
  4. Walk (don't run) when approaching, then stop and wave at a distance of at least 3 meters / 10 feet. The "E" and "Q" thing to silly lean back and forth helps cut the tension.
  5. Try typing, they may or may not see it. I find "Hello" or "Friendly" don't get as much mileage as something like "no mic" or "no mic, hello" (can be typed quick enough).
  6. If they don't immediately respond or seem like they want to interact, just move on in a non-threatening direction around them. If they "really" are friendly and want to interact they'll likely stick around and approach you so long as you don't run off too far.

That's all that really works for me when I can't use my mic. It actually typically works better than saying "friendly", because almost every time someone says, "friendly" they shoot at me seconds later. The key is to not act weird and make it clear that you're not interested in combat.

If you're tired of dying and want a lower risk lower effort method, you can also simply pretend like you're ignoring or avoiding them all together and stop and wave from a distance then go about your business. It's like saying, "I've acknowledged you're there, I see you, you see me, I waved, approach if you want". That works well too, because at no point are you trying to approach them or threaten them in any way.