97ADU Doug

Player running speed. Dev response appreciated.

Ok so there has already been some threads about the speed at which players run, so Iv decided to take it upon myself to make an official (ish) one.

Most of the points have already been made so Im just making this to see if we can get some changes sooner rather than later.

However to summarize:

When the game was first released player speed was set to the speed that it is now so that players could explore the map with more ease due to the fact that there were no player accommodating vehicles. This made sense at the time. However at this point I believe (unless the spawn rate has changed again) there are a total of 15 trucks per server. The ability for a player to be capable of running at 30km/h is no longer in the best interest of the game. Not only does it make the map feel small (an issue that is already being discussed in a separate thread) But it creates the issue of moving players being UN-realistically difficult to hit whilst moving.

With the introduction of a new and up coming loot system which will make the game more challenging (am very much looking forward to saying goodbye to the easy mode placeholder system) I think it would be a good a time as any to balance running speed. I mean I doubt even the SAS or navy seals could maintain the speed at which our avatars can move.

Would appreciate some sort of dev response about whether/when this problem could be addressed.

TLDR:

Players run to fast, there are lots of trucks to help players travel. Time to get used to running like people instead of terminators.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 8

I dunno man, Chernarussians are known for their national Olympic running skills.

haha this is true, although I doubt most people could maintain the maximum speed Usain Bolt was able to achieve, let along sustain it indefinitely with kg/s worth of gear on them.

:P

• Like 2

Ok so there has already been some threads about the speed at which players run, so Iv decided to take it upon myself to make an official (ish) one.

Most of the points have already been made so Im just making this to see if we can get some changes sooner rather than later.

However to summarize:

When the game was first released player speed was set to the speed that it is now so that players could explore the map with more ease due to the fact that there were no player accommodating vehicles. This made sense at the time. However at this point I believe (unless the spawn rate has changed again) there are a total of 15 trucks per server. The ability for a player to be capable of running at 30km/h is no longer in the best interest of the game. Not only does it make the map feel small (an issue that is already being discussed in a separate thread) But it creates the issue of moving players being UN-realistically difficult to hit whilst moving.

With the introduction of a new and up coming loot system which will make the game more challenging (am very much looking forward to saying goodbye to the easy mode placeholder system) I think it would be a good a time as any to balance running speed. I mean I doubt even the SAS or navy seals could maintain the speed at which our avatars can move.

Would appreciate some sort of dev response about whether/when this problem could be addressed.

TLDR:

Players run to fast, there are lots of trucks to help players travel. Time to get used to running like people instead of terminators.

Thanks for reading!

Well yeah, no. These 15 trucks are getting destroyed/stuck in textures/lost in forest/buried under map in like first day after they spawn AND THEY NEVER EVER RESPAWN.

So no, player movement speed should not be reduced, not until vehicles will be finished and debugged.

• Like 2

Actually Usain's maximum recorded speed was 30 MILES per hour (~48kph). He AVERAGES 23.5 MILES per hour (~37kph).

Just saiya-jin.

like someone said, it will come with the implementation of the stamina system. Of course, the current sprint speed is pure arcade mode, its not here to stay. But you can bet, that there will be alot of tears when they take out the turbo mode ;)

I think they need to add stamina for people who constantly sprint would make for real immersion having to stop and catch your breat IF sprinting.

Stamina system is coming , it's been said many times the running speed will be nerfed with it's addition ... Definitely need it sooner rather than later but it's not waaaaay up the priority list !

• Like 1

As soon as they add bicycles, maybe, or cars etc become a bit more common. It is quite rare to find any vehicle right now.

But yeah, it needs to be changed sooner or later, but with it, hopefully the zed speeds as well haha.

As soon as they add bicycles, maybe, or cars etc become a bit more common. It is quite rare to find any vehicle right now.

But yeah, it needs to be changed sooner or later, but with it, hopefully the zed speeds as well haha.

Bicycles <3

A bicycle Hell's Angels bandit gang needs to be formed! After all, rider's jackets exist.

Edited by IgnobleBasterd
  • Like 2

Well yeah, no. These 15 trucks are getting destroyed/stuck in textures/lost in forest/buried under map in like first day after they spawn AND THEY NEVER EVER RESPAWN.

So no, player movement speed should not be reduced, not until vehicles will be finished and debugged.

This is true, but despite the bug I still manage to find trucks everywhere.

Perhaps iv just been lucky.

I find trucks everywhere, but they are not operational, missing tires. I have never seen any tires, I carried a tire iron for awhile till I made it to a truck and that did nothing. So far I have only found 6 or 7 trucks in as many months and half of those were out of gas. I never found any gas cans once I found an out of gas truck. I found lots of gas cans and never found a truck. Now I mostly carry 2 rifles and can never climb or get into a truck. I can't even get into the back of a truck and catch a ride cause I drop my in hands rifle. Grrrr.  As for run speed, I never sprint unless I am being shot at :-D I jog because I lose water so fast and how am I supposed to get anywhere even with 6 bottles with no rain and I really don't have a fantastic knowledge of where the water pumps are and I am usually about to die from dehydration when I am fighting a horde of zombies right in front of a water pump. So close and yet so far.

...and how am I supposed to get anywhere even with 6 bottles with no rain and I really don't have a fantastic knowledge of where the water pumps are and I am usually about to die from dehydration when I am fighting a horde of zombies right in front of a water pump. So close and yet so far.

Water purification tablets and ponds then? Usually a good bet, heck with the loot how it is atm you probably can get by just on cans of pipsi without having to carry any bottles...

• Like 1

Water purification tablets and ponds then? Usually a good bet, heck with the loot how it is atm you probably can get by just on cans of pipsi without having to carry any bottles...

Ya, when the .55 patch hit, I was all about water purification tablets, ponds and pumpkin seeds. Which reminds me, I should be able to farm with my hands. I did when I was a kid, I didn't need a shovel to grow my tomatoes, seeds and water and hands. Ya right now you can go house to house and eat your fill and drink soda's till you puke. .55 patch was more like a real apocalypse and my fully geared character was not prepared for it. :-)  He had no shovel, no seeds, no purification tabs and way to few rifle cartridges. I suppose I might try walking instead of jogging when I login this morning and see if I can get from the same point a to point b without getting thirsty. Is it a time thing or a exertion thing. What a target I will be for a sniper!

The map is huge. Whoever said it was small is an idiot. If running slows down - which makes sense - you are more likely going to die in DayZ then you are now given the scarce loot that's planned for DayZ. Loot will have to increase in availability.

I know a lot of veteran DayZ players will complain about such an idea but anything less will make the game as unplayable as a survival game could get.

Think about it.

Right now, I usually spawn, search for food, die of starvation or I'm killed by zombies. Spawn and repeat. Spawn and repeat. Etc.

With stamina implemented - again, it makes sense - you will more likely then not have to rest while searching for food. Given the quickness with which people starve in DayZ, chances are more and more people will starve and die. Now with stamina, you are more likely then not to starve even sooner then you do now. Especially since stamina will be affected by - drum roll - your hunger level.

Take the current level of scarcity of food in DayZ today, mix in a little sauce of stamina level and wham. Starvation Alley. It only takes a little common sense to see the fallacy of this combination. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. Especially since you can't find any cake for miles.

Remember, this is an alpha. Right? Imagine if it were released this way.

"Hey, I found this new game, DayZ. It's awesome. You spawn. Run for miles looking for food and maybe weapons. But after the first hundred yards of running you slow down because of stamina. Yea, cool, right?"

"While looking for food, you have to fight off killer zombies who can kill you with their BARE HANDS. But you can't fight for too long, cuz your stamina will run low. Somehow you'll have to survive zombie while looking for food and running low on stamina! Fun, eh?"

"Food is miles apart. Weapons are harder then hell to find. But those zombies. Man, they are mean. I mean, they can kill you with their bare hands!"

"So, what do ya say? Wanna play?"

Edited by BulletGarden

The map is huge. Whoever said it was small is an idiot. If running slows down - which makes sense - you are more likely going to die in DayZ then you are now given the scarce loot that's planned for DayZ. Loot will have to increase in availability.

I know a lot of veteran DayZ players will complain about such an idea but anything less will make the game as unplayable as a survival game could get.

Think about it.

Right now, I usually spawn, search for food, die of starvation or I'm killed by zombies. Spawn and repeat. Spawn and repeat. Etc.

With stamina implemented - again, it makes sense - you will more likely then not have to rest while searching for food. Given the quickness with which people starve in DayZ, chances are more and more people will starve and die. Now with stamina, you are more likely then not to starve even sooner then you do now. Especially since stamina will be affected by - drum roll - your hunger level.

Take the current level of scarcity of food in DayZ today, mix in a little sauce of stamina level and wham. Starvation Alley. It only takes a little common sense to see the fallacy of this combination. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. Especially since you can't find any cake for miles.

"Hey, I found this new game, DayZ. It's awesome. You spawn. Run for miles looking for food and maybe weapons. But after the first hundred yards of running you slow down because of stamina. Yea, cool, right?"

"While looking for food, you have to fight off killer zombies who can kill you with their BARE HANDS. But you can't fight for too long, cuz your stamina will run low. Somehow you'll have to survive zombie while looking for food and running low on stamina! Fun, eh?"

"Food is miles apart. Weapons are harder then hell to find. But those zombies. Man, they are mean. I mean, they can kill you with their bare hands!"

Its not that bad...in .55 before they put the placeholder system back in, i rarely sprinted when i was travelling across the map. it depletes energy and hydration levels quicker. When they finally fix all the survival mechanics (fishing, cooking, etc.) you can hunt, fish, farm, gather fruit, use traps(rabbits). Especially fishing will make life easier. Or yesterday, i put 2 rabbit snares in the woods outside of a city and went scavenging, when i came back i caught 1 rabbit. 2 pieces of meat, 1 pelt, guts. Not bad for doing nothing.

People just need to move away from the mindset that they need to scavenge for canned food all the time, we just need working survival skills/tools.

Edited by InvincibleThroughDC

Good point, invincible. Until they get the hunting and fishing down - and stable - they should hold off on implementing stamina. Otherwise players will just drop dead more often.

I probably shouldn't be "that guy" but.....

It's not that hard. Not once did I die of starvation or killed by zombies when .55 came out. Not ONCE. I died to truck once. I died to a player with some sort of gun from a good range away that I must have not seen. I had plenty of pants/jackets ruined by zombies, broke some limbs, had grey vision multiple times from combinations of low Energy/Hydration and fending off zombies, but never died. So if it is happening to you as a "usual" occurrence you may want to consider changing something as you are doing something wrong.  

The devs know what they're doing.

They are going to add in the stamina system, then players are going to go cOO Coo for cars. Then they will implement another 20-30 spawns of GAZ-24 Volga's with different colors. But then you will have to maintain your vehicle.. and by this time persistence will be permanent so you can hide your own little car in the woods so you don't have to spend 4 hours running from Vybor to Cherno without starving.

.. Can't wait.

This is quit a big deal. I see the -run in front your noise and you can't hit me - being abused alot. Especially by bambi's

• Like 1

Think about it.

Sounds like the game I bought and have been wanting. You should have a low chance of survival. Having a character alive a few hours should be celebrated

However to summarize:

TLDR:

Thanks for reading!

Good man, take my beans

running speed is way to fast, can't wait for the stamina system