Sign in to follow this  
too-easy

Cooking in .55

Do you guys know if anything has changed about cooking?

We weren't able to find any pot or pan today We went inland, too.

Would be nice if there would be a way to craft something as a replacement of the pot/pan.

Tried to "combine" a sharpend stick with some meat which didn't work.

Edited by too-easy

I really miss the old, simple cooking mechanic from pre 0.54. It encouraged people to hunt and made things more atmospheric. I appreciate it might be "unrealistic", but if I could make a fire and had some pork chops, I think I'd probably figure out a way to cook them...

The whole palaver with stones and having to build an oven before you can cook seems nuts to me - although it might help when the cooking pan actually starts working (if anyone ever actually finds one), instead of appearing vertically in the fire and not cooking the meat.

Edited by Mookie

I really miss the old, simple cooking mechanic from pre 0.54. It encouraged people to hunt and made things more atmospheric. I appreciate it might be "unrealistic", but if I could make a fire and had some pork chops, I think I'd probably figure out a way to cook them...

The whole palaver with stones and having to build an oven before you can cook seems nuts to me - although it might help when the cooking pan actually starts working (if anyone ever actually finds one), instead of appearing vertically in the fire and not cooking the meat.

It's unfortunate that we are currently stuck in the middle of a transition period. It's been stated that there will be other methods of cooking, such as roasting using a stick, they simply haven't been implemented yet. I totally agree that being required to find a pot or pan in order to cook is silly; I wouldn't go camping IRL and boil steaks in a pot of water :p

• Like 2

I wish there was an option to cook meat on hot coals.  Right after the fire stops the coals are still red hot.  Steaks can be cooked directly on top of coals in real life.  It's actually a really cool way to make flank steak if you've never tried it.  Cooking mechanics are still in their early stages I'm sure.  It'll be interesting to see what the devs come up with in the future.

should have pick them pot up when we have chance..now what I going to do with 2 wild boar steaks! LOL

Do they go bad for not having refrigerated? 

should have pick them pot up when we have chance..now what I going to do with 2 wild boar steaks! LOL

Do they go bad for not having refrigerated? 

No - unless the mechanic has changed, you can basically run around with them for ever.

No - unless the mechanic has changed, you can basically run around with them for ever.

maybe they will turn into jerky if we smoke them! 

I've successfully used the pot several times but never had the change to try the pan. Does it not work with both tripods and ovens?

So we need a pot to cook? Cause I have about 10 raw steaks on me and couldn't find a pot yet :S 

So we need a pot to cook? Cause I have about 10 raw steaks on me and couldn't find a pot yet :S

That's what I am trying to find out here.

In .54 we needed a pot or the meat would just burn and get ruined within seconds.

I don't know if something has changed in the latest patch.

Ok, then I can confirm that just putting a steak inside a fireplace will finally ruin it. Looks like we need a pot then :/

Last I heard, you need a fireplace with lots of wood so the fire doesn't go out during the cooking process. A tripod to add to the fireplace which holds the pot. A pot full of water. Some meat. I never had all that stuff to try before the patch. I did have a pot full of water and a stove and 2 canisters that worked. I started cooking and the meat changed color twice but never said cooked. The red started to turn pink on the pan so I switched canisters and it went dark red again and then after awhile it went pink and the crap never cooked. I threw it all on the ground and went and ate some canned food. I don't bother with that now because it was pretty frustrating. Spoiler ahead if you don't want to know how to farm, stop reading here.

Seeds stack together, I found a 3 pumpkin and a 8 pumpkin and stacked them into a 11 pumpkin. Find a small shovel and prepare the soil, anywhere as far as I can tell. Then use the shovel to make a tile, which prepares the spot for 1 plant. Put seeds in your hand and plant a seed and it says it's too dry but if you look you will see a stick poking out of one of the tiles of dirt. Put a canteen/bottle in hand and point at it and pick water plant. now sit back and relax until it says harvest fruit etc. Eat and be merry.

• Like 1

I wish there was an option to cook meat on hot coals.  Right after the fire stops the coals are still red hot.  Steaks can be cooked directly on top of coals in real life.  It's actually a really cool way to make flank steak if you've never tried it.  Cooking mechanics are still in their early stages I'm sure.  It'll be interesting to see what the devs come up with in the future.

Exactly.

In reality, you can just stick a piece of meat on a stick and hold it over a fire. Or set the meat on top of a hot stone next to a fire and cook it. You don't need a tripod to cook.

That's why I wish they'd just ditch this method all together and just go back to the way it was.

You need either those stones to build furnance or tripod. Then a cooking pot is needed on those so you just don't ruin the meat.

So just good luck with finding that cooking pot or frying pan.

To be more realistic, this could change, like meat could spoil after a while. Then devs could add salt as a new item to the game, and by adding salt players could prolong time it takes for cooked or fresh meat to spoil. 

I found yesterday night a cooking pot next to a train, there was a lot of loot.... however i killed a dear and was so happy :) i decided to do a fireplace....then i simply put the cooking pot in the fireplace without even thinking of the mistake...10 seconds later i realised and yeah.....cooking pot damaged, i think it will still work but anyways it is very diffiuclt to not starve even when you have the meat and a cooking pot (need the damn stones)....hope they improve things a little bit. See you all ;)

To be more realistic, this could change, like meat could spoil after a while. Then devs could add salt as a new item to the game, and by adding salt players could prolong time it takes for cooked or fresh meat to spoil.

Already been talked about by devs a long time ago , salt was talked about for lone wolves and refrigarators (ya a little weird) by dean hall for storing meat at camps ... I think an old wooden ice box (first made refrigerators) would be a great idea , you just need to find ice ... Maybe if they add salt and bags of ice the games food storage would get way more interesting :) ... But I agree we don't need a damn pot to cook a steak , just find a nice big rock and throw it on the hot coals , throw your burger or steak on that bad Larry after it heats for ten minutes and you have a cooked steak after 25 more minutes (of course the time would be shortend in game ).

Cooking simulator.. Do they really need to make it so complex.

Yes.

• Like 2

Oh the irony... I have a pot and just about nothing else!  

What do I need to make a tripod?  Sticks & rope?  Or something else?

Oh the irony... I have a pot and just about nothing else!  

What do I need to make a tripod?  Sticks & rope?  Or something else?

It spawns as loot, so get searching?

You can also make a stone oven from 8 small stones.

• Like 1

Yes.

Meh.. 50 different ways of cooking/smoking/boiling food isn't on my top list. But preferences vary i guess. But i'll take it

Edited by aasand

It's overly complicated at this point.

Last week I was doing some yard work. Cutting some branches, raking some old leaves etc. Eventually I've made a fire to get rid of all that crap.

First of all, I didn't need any paper/rags (kindling) to start the fire. Leaves and dry grass were good enough.

Eventually I decided to roast some sausage. All I needed was a stick and a knife to sharpen it.

Omnomnom, nice and easy. I could have done the same if I had a piece of raw meat.

So why do I need so much stuff in DayZ?

Cooking tripods, pots etc. You want people to hunt and gather and then you complicate it for no reason.