boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

As a public server owner, we are not allowed nor do we have access anymore to reset the persistence "loot" file. We are eagerly awaiting .56 as our server's loot right now is "broken" in the sense that massive amounts of loot are found on certain parts of the map but other places are picked clean and no longer spawn loot. 

On top of that Fragnet change our IP on us without our full consent and thus have lost all of our traffic b/c people can't find the server......(sigh)........good times.......

Do you have a post going in recruitment or anything like that to help those youve lost return home? Or put the new ip in your sig? Im sure many of your players are on these forums and could spread the word?

• Like 2

We were discussing persistence, not the loot system.

They are interconnected, see.

They are interconnected, see.

Agreed. However, when Tatanko said it was working fine, he was specifically speaking about persistence as it relates to tents and other player items staying where they are supposed to through server resets and the like.

Gonna try some stable again tonight. I said I wouldn't but I've caved , I need my dayz survival action , nothing makes sense without it ... Although I'm really impatiently waiting for .56 experimental to release :( .

• Like 1

Now he's in Redmond.... pitching DayZ for Wii-U2 or on a job interview with Nintendo?

You know, DayZ being a sinking ship and all that.

Edited by BioHaze

Agreed. However, when Tatanko said it was working fine, he was specifically speaking about persistence as it relates to tents and other player items staying where they are supposed to through server resets and the like.

Very good. My opinion however is that this is not the case. Items dissappear, so do tents and v3s's, the exception being items that are untouched. Just as I wrote in my post that you for some reason answered to with this? This is not an unknown issue either, lots of people are saying it in multiple posts around the forum.

Very good. My opinion however is that this is not the case. Items dissappear, so do tents and v3s's, the exception being items that are untouched. Just as I wrote in my post that you for some reason answered to with this? This is not an unknown issue either, lots of people are saying it in multiple posts around the forum.

I thought you misunderstood what we were talking about. My bad. 

At any rate, I haven't seen the slightest indication that persistence is broken still. I've had persistence working on 5 different servers now for weeks: 3 public, 2 private. I've seen posts about people discovering the stashes of others and I have a friend who hasn't had any issues either. Other than what seems to be a few isolated incidents which are likely taking place on servers that are having deeper problems, all seems to be well.

Can anyone point me to thread that explains the differences between the current loot system and the new system that is about to be implement please?

Also, a lot of people reference "loot bombing" as a big issue. So is this an issue with the current loot system? Or is it a hacking issue? Or does loot bombing only affect public servers or private servers?

I'm not having much luck on finding out these answers on my own :)

Thanks in advance.

Now he's in Redmond.... pitching DayZ for Wii-U2 or on a job interview with Nintendo?

You know, DayZ being a sinking ship and all that.

Dude, chill, he's from the King County Soviet of the Union of Soviets in the Puget Sound Peoples Republik of Amerika (home of the only free standing outdoor statue of Lenin in the United States).   I bet he's home for Mothers Day.  You see that picture of "Dicks" he has on his Twitter account?  A favorite chain in the Seattle Area for cheapo but awesomely delicious greasy cheese burgers and fries and some of the best milkshakes you can get along the entire western coasts of both American continents.  It is so good for my blood pressure that the nearest Dicks is over 5000 miles away.

Edited by Barnabus
  • Like 3

At any rate, I haven't seen the slightest indication that persistence is broken still. I've had persistence working on 5 different servers now for weeks: 3 public, 2 private. I've seen posts about people discovering the stashes of others and I have a friend who hasn't had any issues either. Other than what seems to be a few isolated incidents which are likely taking place on servers that are having deeper problems, all seems to be well.

I am really confused about this myself. With the limited options for Admins on Private Hives, how come we get so many different problems with each server? For example, I am on two servers where both, the spawn and the consistency seem to work perfectly. The only things vanishing after restarts are chainsaws, cooking pots, gas cookers/lamps; they vanish when left outside of backpacks. Other than that, I have had 5 tents in total and they all stayed around; only problem was one server went down, so I lost those two tents. But consistency is definitely working for me and with most items.

However, I've also had problems with consistency before when other people said it was working. There is no indication for which server it works on (in theory it should be all), so it's a bit trial and error. I must say, I had no problem finding these 30-player servers where it works on; they were just random picks after the other went down. 

My biggest problem are issues with the inventory now. Sometimes items glitch away when simply moving them inside the inventory, sometimes stacking them won't work (e.g. netting you put in a tent and netting you try to stack with those will just remove the ones in the tent). However stacking burlap sacks inside a tent still works. Most tacky seems to be exchanging magazines, as I've had some disappear instead of being replaced. It's best to drag those items around carefully now. I usually drop them on the name bar of the tent/backpack (...), just to make sure they really go inside and don't vanish or replace another item. 

Edited by S3V3N

Stary tents are pretty meh IMO. They worked for a mod because it was a mod but they should do DayZ.

Edited by St. Jimmy

The Stary tents are one of the things I really miss from the mod so I am happy to see them return. In this case I would even love to see the big camps removed entirely and replaced instead by a few  small camps placed all over the map  ( maybe in combination with some checkpoints and roadblocks). I would also even go that far and remove the small miltary camps in Zelenogorsk and the one near near Kabanino as well as making Balota completely a civillian airstrip. In return NW airfield and the bases up north should get a bit more love and turned into proper military bases including tanks, jets, armories etc etc

just my two cents :)

I also miss from the mod... the sound of flies near dead bodies ...smashing hospital windows...and the death screams when someone is getting ripped apart by zeds :rolleyes:

• Like 3

The only things vanishing after restarts are chainsaws, cooking pots, gas cookers/lamps; they vanish when left outside of backpacks. Other than that, I have had 5 tents in total and they all stayed around; only problem was one server went down, so I lost those two tents. 

My biggest problem are issues with the inventory now. 

My guess is that those items haven't been made a part of the persistence structure. I have been having one specific issue with the Gasoline Canister or Jerry Can as some call it. I like ot keep one filled with water at camp for refilling our PET bottles and growing crops. It disappears even out of backpacks and tents. The other day it even refilled itself with gasoline after it had been filled with water. Thank god we had charcoal tabs, lol. I submitted a bug for it because even if it isn't in persistence, it shouldn't be deleted from player inventory.

Whatever anyone does at this point, definitely DO NOT swap any items into the Plate Carrier. It is a black hole disguised as a vest. I just had another protector case full of water bottles eaten by mine. I'm hoping that the new inventory matrix and some further fixes to the Plate Carrier help with that stuff. In the last 3 weeks, we have lost a full Medkit, 3 protector cases with items in them, 2 M1911 mags, an AK mag, and more.

• Like 1

I have been having one specific issue with the Gasoline Canister or Jerry Can as some call it. I like ot keep one filled with water at camp for refilling our PET bottles and growing crops. It disappears even out of backpacks and tents. The other day it even refilled itself with gasoline after it had been filled with water. Thank god we had charcoal tabs, lol. I submitted a bug for it because even if it isn't in persistence, it shouldn't be deleted from player inventory.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the gas canister. I had one filled with water too. It's handy, because you can purify the whole thing with one pill. It also disappeared from inside a backpack, and I only used it once to grow some vegetables. Veggies also disappear after restarts if you leave them on the ground (but they stay in backpacks/tents). The jerrycan always seemed buggy and disappear after using them just once. 

Edited by S3V3N

My guess is that those items haven't been made a part of the persistence structure. I have been having one specific issue with the Gasoline Canister or Jerry Can as some call it. I like ot keep one filled with water at camp for refilling our PET bottles and growing crops. It disappears even out of backpacks and tents. The other day it even refilled itself with gasoline after it had been filled with water. Thank god we had charcoal tabs, lol. I submitted a bug for it because even if it isn't in persistence, it shouldn't be deleted from player inventory.

Whatever anyone does at this point, definitely DO NOT swap any items into the Plate Carrier. It is a black hole disguised as a vest. I just had another protector case full of water bottles eaten by mine. I'm hoping that the new inventory matrix and some further fixes to the Plate Carrier help with that stuff. In the last 3 weeks, we have lost a full Medkit, 3 protector cases with items in them, 2 M1911 mags, an AK mag, and more.

I have noticed that cooking pots are also staying around if hanging on the tripod.  On a side note to ColdAtrophy, where the heck can you find protector cases now?  I haven't seen one one .55

I have noticed that cooking pots are also staying around if hanging on the tripod.  On a side note to ColdAtrophy, where the heck can you find protector cases now?  I haven't seen one one .55

Fire stations and, more rarely, brick pubs. There are other rare spots too but not many.

Fire stations and, more rarely, brick pubs. There are other rare spots too but not many.

One-story log cabins, the kind with a kitchen (as opposed to the ones with a bedroom). I've found them there twice, in 0.54 and 0.55.

• Like 1

One-story log cabins, the kind with a kitchen (as opposed to the ones with a bedroom). I've found them there twice, in 0.54 and 0.55.

Found a loot puke in a Fire Station, there was a plethora (yes I know what a plethora is) of damaged and pristine.  Then I got killed, it was in Sevrograd.  Can't remember which server it was but it was a private hive.

Do you have a post going in recruitment or anything like that to help those youve lost return home? Or put the new ip in your sig? Im sure many of your players are on these forums and could spread the word?

I have an on going thread in the Server section. I've let everybody know the issues we've been having this week and trying to get people to come back. Our server is not showing up in the server browser unless you filter for it :( 

The new IP is: 192.3.53.2:2502 

We also are having issues getting the server to show up on gametracker.com thus why I have not changed my signature yet. 

Any and all help from the community would be fantastic guys. I have been out of the loop mostly this week due to my day job and have not had as much time as I would like to try and resolve this and get the word out that we are still here but our IP changed. 

Sorry this is a bit off topic from .55 discussion........ we miss our community of players :( 

• Like 1

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/220397-new-renderer/

In this thread, Eugen talks about the optimizations that will result in FPS increase.

I'm having trouble finding the tweet about running alpha code from the renderer for FPS boost in cities, but it is kicking around here and if you care enough, you will find it. I will keep looking. It wasn't from very long ago at all. 

There will be further performance increases when they finish hooking DirectX 11 and eventually DirectX 12 into the new renderer as well. 

EDIT: And here's this - 

"The renderer is not multithreaded yet, but if VR and Enfusion is ran in single thread mode you can see about 30-40% increase in fps. Probably will translate in multithread version."

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/218961-what-this-is-about/page-3#

ok where to start on this quote...

i feel i gave the most honest and easiest to read post on the renderer topic.

i stated exacty what it will do...

your talking about direct x... enfusion... and mulithreading...

i gave u a twitter link to eugens twitter with the facts stated!!!!!

now your telling me...the community... what we already know about the new engine and direct x optimizations (to come in a future date).

the twitter link i gave was of the previous weeks Q & A with eugen himself...thru twitter. The facts were in that link... 

i appreciate your passion and want to know knowledge of the game.... but all do respect... please don't contradict people with miss information.

the renderer IS not a FPS fix and i will leave it at that... 

ok where to start on this quote...

i feel i gave the most honest and easiest to read post on the renderer topic.

i stated exacty what it will do...

your talking about direct x... enfusion... and mulithreading...

i gave u a twitter link to eugens twitter with the facts stated!!!!!

now your telling me...the community... what we already know about the new engine and direct x optimizations (to come in a future date).

the twitter link i gave was of the previous weeks Q & A with eugen himself...thru twitter. The facts were in that link... 

i appreciate your passion and want to know knowledge of the game.... but all do respect... please don't contradict people with miss information.

the renderer IS not a FPS fix and i will leave it at that... 

You can leave it at that all day long. You are wrong. Period. So you know what occlusion culling is?

It's a feature of the new renderer that disallows objects from rendering that are not currently in view of the player camera. Guess what that will do in cities.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 3

You can leave it at that all day long. You are wrong. Period. So you know what occlusion culling is?

It's a feature of the new renderer that disallows objects from rendering that are not currently in view of the player camera. Guess what that will do in cities.

Don't be so fast at calling each other wrong, guys :)

I think what he maybe was pointing at is that even though the game doesn't even use our GFX to the full extend it lags a lot. It's not exactly overtaxing the hardware, the problem with Dayz is it has FPS spikes high and low. Of course the features of a new render engine will ease the strain on computing, but when it comes to it, developers usually just add more of something else at this point. The resources you free somewhere will be needed in another place (example: ai) and the computing will just shift from one area to another.    

When Dayz development began 3D models and texturing still used a different rendering solution that could not take lighting from the environment so much and had trouble with certain features. Today, most engines use physically based rendering (PBR). The cool thing about PBR is that it is very accurate on color in different lighting situations, making it extremely dynamic. PBR materials can be litt by a High Dynamic Range image, which faithfully reproduces color in a given environment. PBR materials are faster to tweak, often modular (master material) and look better, as it is no longer an approximation but actually a simulation of real light and color. That's what Unreal and Unity Engine use these days, as well as the internal engines of Electronic Arts, such as Frostbyte. 

If we were to have PBR in Dayz, all the textures would need to be redone and adjusted. Honestly, some adjustments would be minor and wouldn't even need a 3D program, but given the amount of assets in Dayz - quite a job after all. So we are seeing old environment models and solutions for rendering that are more costly than modern engines but look worse. That can't really be helped, it can only be mended. I expect the new engine to be a mix of old and new, so there will probably be better HDRI support, but it will be limited to a few materials that actually use the system (like metal, glas, generally Conductors); other materials will look more or less the same. Maybe Dayz will have full HDR lighting, because it would actually create believable day/nightcycles with blending between them. And the visibility would be better. I expect nights to become a lot more exciting with the new renderer. However, I am not clear about what it can actually do yet. Gonna read up on it.

I know it's usually smarter to read about something first and then talk about it ;) I just think Dayz's problems aren't mainly graphical at this time. FPS drops may not only be due to slow rendering, but also to bad (old) code. The reason to switch to a new renderer is because it is faster, not only in drawing images, but also in calculations. They use more efficient code and more ressources are freed to be spent elsewhere. I expect the inventory system will be tweaked for the same reasons. It must be a pain for the devs to do all the work twice, but it shows their dedication to finally getting the game to perform right. It's a massive undertaking and takes a lot of footwork and trial and error. 

Usually it's said that multiplayer games are less work than singleplayer. You need no character interaction and development, cutscenes, story or scripted scenarios in a multiplayer game. However, Dayz actually has a lot of those and sometimes it really gets complicated. One of the reasons zombie are great game enemies is, because they are believably dumb. I don't mind of herd of zombie sheep sometimes, even if some of them get stuck. Dayz makes me think zombies are smart, the way they chase me everywhere. Sometimes I wish they would stick with the simple solutions or a mix of both. There were reasons why the mod was great. I loved shooting the zombies off the back off another player, who was being eaten. I loved going to town and blasting away at zombies sometimes. I found it satisfying to recover items from my grave or find another player's grave on my travels. It worked for me. 

The one thing Dayz needs the most for me is consistency. That's the one thing the Alpha can't deliver, as it isn't supposed to. It's always gonna be ups and downs with this baby. And already it feels so different from the mods that I'm not sure applying some of the old solutions would work. I just see that lots of ambition went into the different systems, but it doesn't all come together yet. The cool thing is it's absolutely playable, and I enjoy it for the most part. And it seems so close to me to becoming an awesome game that it will be worth the wait. Just have to force ourselves to be patient... 

Cheers Dayz, I (still) believe in you! Bring on 0.56 ;)

I thought I heard someone say something about drum magazines disappearing, but I cannot seem to find the post. Anyway, I just had an entire AKM vanish. I had it in my hands when I logged out to take a break and then I logged back in just now only to see that it has vanished. It have every attachment possible and it was pristine. I am so bummed. :-/

I thought I heard someone say something about drum magazines disappearing, but I cannot seem to find the post. Anyway, I just had an entire AKM vanish. I had it in my hands when I logged out to take a break and then I logged back in just now only to see that it has vanished. It have every attachment possible and it was pristine. I am so bummed. :-/

That was me and Biohaze among others, who had that problem. Only occured once to me after the patch. I put down an AKM and it was gone. The main thing we complained about was stuff vanishing from our inventory when we tried to switch places with other same-size items in the bag/tent. It's safest do do the switching items with enough space to just drag them onto the item name, instead of right into the inventory. Sometimes it seems that only some items are affected. I had this happen mostly with magazines and waterbottles. And a Jerry Can even disappeared from out of a backpack. 

I wouldn't worry too much about this happening with weapons. I have placed nearly ten weapons on the ground during gameplay and nothing happened. However, it seems to be a problem if you log out with a second rifle in your hands. Better put that down before restart. I would like to hear if someone made the same experience with tents...

Edited by S3V3N

That was me and Biohaze among others, who had that problem. Only occured once to me after the patch. I put down an AKM and it was gone. The main thing we complained about was stuff vanishing from our inventory when we tried to switch places with other same-size items in the bag/tent. It's safest do do the switching items with enough space to just drag them onto the item name, instead of right into the inventory. Sometimes it seems that only some items are affected. I had this happen mostly with magazines and waterbottles. And a Jerry Can even disappeared from out of a backpack. 

I wouldn't worry too much about this happening with weapons. I have placed nearly ten weapons on the ground during gameplay and nothing happened. However, it seems to be a problem if you log out with a second rifle in your hands. Better put that down before restart. I would like to hear if someone made the same experience with tents...

So it's more of an issue when a second weapon is in your hands?