eugenharton

Exp Update: 0.55.126884 Discussion

So new zombie animations = yay! 

But now there's no loot, horrible rubber banding, and constant server restarts. I might be missing something but why update experimental and hype it, if you know it's going to be totally broken. 

I'm trying here I really am. 

Its easy, all of the performance/desync/crashing is the same thing and we need more data. With 40 testers in internal this particular crash showed up 8 times during the day with unusable call stacks to track it down. This way you get enough data and can start fixing it.

• Like 18

Its easy, all of the performance/desync/crashing is the same thing and we need more data. With 40 testers in internal this particular crash showed up 8 times during the day with unusable call stacks to track it down. This way you get enough data and can start fixing it.

We are here for testing. Especially on experimental. So all good and I am happy to fill your logs with crash statistics ;)

@ٍEugen, Any chance on getting this memory leak fix anytime soon ? 

can't even run the game due to this:

cd294540dedf6366f141469edc1e132e5299c278

Is it posible that you make fix before end of day?

Twice I was within 10 meters of a zombie who was looking directly at me and drew no aggro. Once was when I went to the back door of a house to close it and found a zombie standing right in the doorway already. He didn't move or react to my presence even after I shut the door. The second one was a zombie I nearly stumbled into near a shed in a backyard. He also, although looking right at me, didn't react to my presence.

Another strange occurrence I saw (likely a desync thing): I was being beaten to death by two zombies I had locked in a house. They were viciously attacking a ficus. Apparently the server thought I was the ficus.

I really wasn't able to play it enough to thoroughly try to break it since there is no food or drink anywhere. I eventually found one can of peaches but the rangefinder and M4 Handguard cannot be used to open a can and that's all I've found otherwise. I know this is for testing purposes and I'm pretty new to all of this, but I don't understand why the item spawns are either absent or seriously strange. It makes it hard to test the changes if the food/drink mechanics are killing me. I'm not sure if this would always be appropriate based on the changes that are being implemented, but perhaps we might consider some testing privileges. For example, since we are largely testing zombie AI and (perhaps? didn't notice a performance difference) rendering updates, maybe there is a way to simply turn off the survival aspects so we can focus our attention on the specific tasks at hand? I'm sure someone else has already considered this and there is a reason that idea is no good, but I'm curious about it regardless.

From what I did see, the zombies do one other particularly weird thing. It happened twice but I will recount only one of those times. I was running through a field away from one since I had only my fists and no items of any kind. As it chased me, it would run two steps and then perform a kind of standing slide maneuver that brought it right up super close to me. Then it would run two more steps and repeat, making it literally impossible to get away from. I ran for about a minute watching it do this over my shoulder. Then I started running in circles. It broke the AI's brain I think. I took off in a straight line once more and it just stood there.

All this was on a US Central server with only one other player on it. My ping was about 60. 

Edited by ColdAtrophy

Its work in progress, it wont work as it should in next 2 or 3 updates. I played almost all exp updates and you wouldnt belive how awfull they worked before going to stable. Aparently devs test one specific thing, and only they can see resoults. 

Is it posible that you make fix before end of day?

No

Twice I was within 10 meters of a zombie who was looking directly at me and drew no aggro. Once was when I went to the back door of a house to close it and found a zombie standing right in the doorway already. He didn't move or react to my presence even after I shut the door. The second one was a zombie I nearly stumbled into near a shed in a backyard. He also, although looking right at me, didn't react to my presence.

Another strange occurrence I saw (likely a desync thing): I was being beaten to death by two zombies I had locked in a house. They were viciously attacking a ficus. Apparently the server thought I was the ficus.

I really wasn't able to play it enough to thoroughly try to break it since there is no food or drink anywhere. I eventually found one can of peaches but the rangefinder and M4 Handguard cannot be used to open a can and that's all I've found otherwise. I know this is for testing purposes and I'm pretty new to all of this, but I don't understand why the item spawns are either absent or seriously strange. It makes it hard to test the changes if the food/drink mechanics are killing me. I'm not sure if this would always be appropriate based on the changes that are being implemented, but perhaps we might consider some testing privileges. For example, since we are largely testing zombie AI and (perhaps? didn't notice a performance difference) rendering updates, maybe there is a way to simply turn off the survival aspects so we can focus our attention on the specific tasks at hand? I'm sure someone else has already considered this and there is a reason that idea is no good, but I'm curious about it regardless.

From what I did see, the zombies do one other particularly weird thing. It happened twice but I will recount only one of those times. I was running through a field away from one since I had only my fists and no items of any kind. As it chased me, it would run two steps and then perform a kind of standing slide maneuver that brought it right up super close to me. Then it would run two more steps and repeat, making it literally impossible to get away from. I ran for about a minute watching it do this over my shoulder. Then I started running in circles. It broke the AI's brain I think. I took off in a straight line once more and it just stood there.

All this was on a US Central server with only one other player on it. My ping was about 60. 

The sliding/speed thing is a stamina system not being in sync with animations. The zombies should eventualy slow down during the chase and forget about you, walking back to their original position.

• Like 7

Why is the server performance so bad ? I thought it would increase with the new zombies.

Its the same bug causing crashes/freezes/desync. One bug in the new AI.

• Like 1

The spawn patterns bugs for central economy are as follows :

The loot is tagget to categories (cannot be mutlitagged now so military guns tagged "guns" are spawning in civilian builduings that have the gun tag). Multitagging system should fix that before 0.55. The distribution is managed by heat maps they just need to be tweaked. 

• Like 3

@ٍEugen, Any chance on getting this memory leak fix anytime soon ? 

can't even run the game due to this:

cd294540dedf6366f141469edc1e132e5299c278

The 32bit servers and 32bit clients are having problems because were in the state of transition. The application is running two complete physics systems , two navmesh systems etc. So were about 3meg away from the limit. 

We cannot turn off either since we havent ported all the entities. Animals and Zombies now use new physics system, animations and navigation (still wip) while player is still the old system (thus the weird interactions). Its gonna take months to port the player. So we are working out other solutions inbetween.

• Like 8

No servers online atm :-( - should have gone on last night!

So why some of us can and some can't play it ?

i got 8 gig of ram and a 64 bit Window 7, it's me or it's a random thing ?

So why some of us can and some can't play it ?

i got 8 gig of ram and a 64 bit Window 7, it's me or it's a random thing ?

There are loads of variables. From KBs installed on windows, to state of system dlls, drivers etc. Basicaly currently were on the limit with memory unless we switch to x64 client (we have x64 server/client internaly). But that might cause other problems. So not worth it atm. The real solution is to remove the deprecated systems of engine completly. As said we are running two physic system, two navigation systems, two controllers, two scripts, two UIs. The transition state is at its worst sadly. Its hard to keep a game playable and do our tech mojo and move to new underlying parts. But we are dedicated to making it happen, and let you play at the same time.

• Like 12

There are loads of variables. From KBs installed on windows, to state of system dlls, drivers etc. Basicaly currently were on the limit with memory unless we switch to x64 client (we have x64 server/client internaly). But that might cause other problems. So not worth it atm. The real solution is to remove the deprecated systems of engine completly. As said we are running two physic system, two navigation systems, two controllers, two scripts, two UIs. The transition state is at its worst sadly. Its hard to keep a game playable and do our tech mojo and move to new underlying parts. But we are dedicated to making it happen, and let you play at the same time.

All the time you are wasting to keep the game running for the players. I love to play the game but I wouldn't mind to stop playing until the transitioning to the new tech is completed.

Ok i got it now.

so take your time and make the best of it. 

BTW it is really nice of you answering to questions and work at the same time :D also thanks to team <3

• Like 1

The loot is tagget to categories (cannot be mutlitagged now so military guns tagged "guns" are spawning in civilian builduings that have the gun tag). Multitagging system should fix that before 0.55. The distribution is managed by heat maps they just need to be tweaked. 

Does that still mean that military guns still have a chance to spawn in civilian houses near military bases? (Once multi-tagging is done.)

Edited by Quackdot
  • Like 1

Will shutting down Dayz may accelerate development and if so make a poll and I'm sure many will agree for the sake of more stable and advanced version ? maybe you can keep experimental running.

Does this mean in the future modded items will simply need tagging with the correct loot categories and they will be added to the heatmap?

If so thats a massive step forward from manually edited loot tables every time as per the mod :D

• Like 2

i searched my pc with a dll fixer software and now i can run the game <3 

EDIT: forget it it was just for a moment :( i was joining a server then crahed again :D

Edited by VahidkinG

The application is running two complete physics systems , two navmesh systems etc. So were about 3meg away from the limit. 

[...]. Its gonna take months to port the player. So we are working out other solutions inbetween.

I am distressed &  I sympathise with you.

"exciting times ahead" but alas, also complicated. Good luck.

Loving the new zombie animations and behavior. With some few more tweaks to the system this is going to be really great for everyone.

Just gotta balance there AI a tiny bit cause currently you can crouch run everywhere even extremely close to infected without them spotting you.

• Like 1

Will shutting down Dayz may accelerate development and if so make a poll and I'm sure many will agree for the sake of more stable and advanced version ? maybe you can keep experimental running.

?

The current version is for most people who use it plenty playable and fun. I can't see how shutting it down for all of those who are getting utility out of it as a product in development in the hope that it speeds up some future unknown version could possibly be a good trade.

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 1

If you're facing a single zed you can use your fists to take it out as they don't get up after being knocked down unlike the previous version of zeds where

they'd get up about 4 times after getting knocked down each time before finally being finished off.

Edited by LordBlackwolf

I could be wrong but I believe even the stable version is providing data they need to help improve the game.

• Like 1

Is the current tech a little "limiting" in regards to the animation system?

From what i gathered,zombies sometimes slide and hit without playing the animation.

Is this the cause of a performance related issue,or traced back to the "one animation per action" current restrictions?

Additionally,there are several occasions where zombies simply "warp" into the player's position,avoiding doors and walls in the process.

This makes them look as if they're "aimbotting"  and players often find themselves unable to dodge.

Is this something in regards to their "player position registration" combat AI system?

And if yes,what can be done to further improve and achieve a more fluid and rewarding combat experience?

Edited by Damnyourdeadman
  • Like 1