Sign in to follow this  
cheranuscrusiser

Who decided to make hacksaw's so rare?

Did they remove hacksaws?  I have never seen one after searching 3 large cities very thoroughly for the last week or so.

I found 25 or 30 each of the following tools, which are much less common in real households....

shit loads of cattle prods.  (what the hell?  never seen on in real life, but I own 4 different hacksaws in my house and garage)

shit loads of sickles.... (what the hell?  I've never seen a sickle in real life, ever)  Wheat and grain are harvested by machine now, not by hand with a sickle, making them rare relics I would think.

shit loads of sledge hammers... (what the hell?  households are more likely to have a hacksaw then a large sledgehammer)

shit loads of pliers...  (this is the only item the devs got right, in real life, pliers are very common)

shit loads of hoes.. (again, households are far more likely to have a hacksaw then a hoe, at least where I live)

In conclusion, the hacksaw was never found a single time after finding over 200 other kinds of tools.

Did they remove hacksaws from .52?

And.... have the developers ever thought about real life when they make up the loot tables?

It's comically fake right now.   And frustrating that I can't find a common tool as a hacksaw.

Edited by cheranuscrusiser

Take a look at the grey sheds outside of houses, the ones with a "little porch". Under the "porch", you are practically guaranteed to either find a splitting axe or a hacksaw.

• Like 8

I decided to quickly log into a server to post a screen of the shed Whyherro123 was talking about.

2e1f0c7.jpg

Look what I found! :lol:

2mni1ye.jpg

• Like 16

Yea, the hacksaws aren't rare at all. xD

Did they remove hacksaws?  I have never seen one after searching 3 large cities very thoroughly for the last week or so.

I found 25 or 30 each of the following tools, which are much less common in real households....

shit loads of cattle prods.  (what the hell?  never seen on in real life, but I own 4 different hacksaws in my house and garage)

shit loads of sickles.... (what the hell?  I've never seen a sickle in real life, ever)  Wheat and grain are harvested by machine now, not by hand with a sickle, making them rare relics I would think.

shit loads of sledge hammers... (what the hell?  households are more likely to have a hacksaw then a large sledgehammer)

shit loads of pliers...  (this is the only item the devs got right, in real life, pliers are very common)

shit loads of hoes.. (again, households are far more likely to have a hacksaw then a hoe, at least where I live)

In conclusion, the hacksaw was never found a single time after finding over 200 other kinds of tools.

Did they remove hacksaws from .52?

And.... have the developers ever thought about real life when they make up the loot tables?

It's comically fake right now.   And frustrating that I can't find a common tool as a hacksaw.

So much fucking whining. You know what? 20 mins ago I was trying to color a ghillie suit green, but COULDNT FIND GREEN SPRAYPAINT. SO I began writing a dissertation on the rarities of green spraypaint. 

As for your original point, I've found 10+ hacksaws in the last 3 days of looting. You just have bad luck.

All of the loot spawns have been changed, so like everyone is saying,

"You just have to look in the correct spots."

I concur with the shed described above. I have two in that location at the shed in the area I'm camped out... both spawned in there on top of one another. 

Lets face it; this game knows what you want in your bag.

Start thinking about finding a sword. Hacksaws will pop up everywhere. :)

• Like 3

good work Odin Lowe. A week ago i spent like 6 hours searching for a saw before abandoning the mission.

Were you looking under the small roof of the shed we talked about? Or most industrial spawns?

Like McWendy said, DayZ knows what you're looking for, and works hard keeping you away from it. B)  Just roam around not looking for anything and M4s will fall from the sky! :lol:

no i wasn't originally looking in the sheds you showed in pics. I did get advice on this forum about the building you show here but I was looking inside the structure, not under the overhang portion of the structure. Your pics are a great help i appreciate the effort. 

I know what you mean about not finding what you're looking for. Me and a buddy wasted a whole night of playing searching for a pen. that's right A PEN! Didn't find one the whole damn night. Next time I played I was practically tripping over them.

Edited by Old_Crow_Whiskey
  • Like 2

Hacksaws are not all that rare, you just have to look in the right places.  I might mention that if you are carrying around an extra izh43, the odds of finding a hacksaw in these places seems to diminish because of Murphy's Law.  The most common place I find hacksaws is in the lean-to attached to the small sheds where a splitting axe can commonly be found.  Also, the buildings with the lockers and shelves on the first floor, in cities.  Other good places are the large garages with 3 large doors, and the medium sized industrial/agricultural buildings with the wraparound interior catwalk and small office on second floor.  And here is the big secret I cannot believe I am sharing: Look waaaayyyyyy underneath wrecked trucks and especially those abandoned blue trailers, and sometimes inside the railroad boxcars.  I usually keep a hacksaw handy to make sawed-off shotguns for peace offerings, and to destroy any Mo-Nags I can't carry away. I hope this helps.

in my experience DayZ is like life you find everything you don't need when you don't need it but as soon as you do (IE get a shotgun) whatever your looking for is no where to be found (IE a new Girlfriend)

Thank you to those who helped by showing a picture of the shed that often has them. I appreciate it. That didn't work for me but I found on finally in one of those large open 2 story wharehouse/barns.

• Like 1

So much fucking whining. You know what? 20 mins ago I was trying to color a ghillie suit green, but COULDNT FIND GREEN SPRAYPAINT. SO I began writing a dissertation on the rarities of green spraypaint. 

As for your original point, I've found 10+ hacksaws in the last 3 days of looting. You just have bad luck.

Really? I'm "Fucking Whining"?

No, I'm pointing out how terribly broken the spawn tables are. Clearly, they put in a formula or percentage for all kinds of tools that do spawn in all kinds of buildings.... but very little buildings ever have the possibility of a hacksaw compared to every other tool.

What part of (200 tools found but not a single hacksaw) didn't you understand?

That mathematically proves they didn't put hacksaws in the spawn tables of most buildings like they did with super rare exotic tools like cattle prods and antque sickles.

Instead of bitching about me whining, why not for one second think about how dumb and fake the hacksaw loot table is?

Odin nailed it.

:lol:  You might even say I "saw" it too!  :rolleyes:                          <_<    

• Like 2

your hoes must be different from the ones around here :D

I decided to quickly log into a server to post a screen of the shed Whyherro123 was talking about.

2e1f0c7.jpg

2mni1ye.jpg

FYI - I hadn't seen a hacksaw in a while, this REALLY helped me. I found one in 3 out of 4 of these buildings this evening. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

FYI - I hadn't seen a hacksaw in a while, this REALLY helped me. I found one in 3 out of 4 of these buildings this evening. Thanks for the tip!

Glad I could help in any way! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

2e1f0c7.jpg

2mni1ye.jpg

I can confirm this. I was also a firm believer in the rarity of the elusive hacksaw...until I saw this post. Now I check all of these little sheds and usually there is a saw there.

• Like 1

Don't underestimate those little sheds, as a new spawn those sheds are usually one of the first things I hit for a decent melee weapon now because they often spawn splitting axes.

• Like 1

Also check the sheds behind police buildings the 3-4 ones. Today alone on my private server I noticed a total of 4 hacksaws in a matter of 1 hr while searching for something rare.

They are around its just the loot table hasn't spawned in your area as many.