Rags!

Clans treating DayZ like ARMA?

I see a great deal of DayZ related content that got me to thinking...there sure do seem to be a great deal of clans and people who treat DayZ like ARMA. 

Allow me to explain...

So many of these clans are "sniper clans" and such. They so often all seemed to be geared up fully in all their videos, there's very little actual surviving and such that I see with these groups. I won't accuse them of all server hopping or using private servers, but it makes me wonder...what's the point of so many of these clans if they are all taking such an obviously military style approach to playing a survival game?

Everybody seems to always have automatic weapons, full camo gear, assault vests, helmets...everything you could ever get.

I think this is a detriment to the community in a way. I'm glad that players are banding together and having a social experience, but I simply fear that they are doing this for the wrong "reasons". I used to play with some people, but stopped after I learned that they all server hop for gear and then run back to Elecktro or Cherno to deathmatch all the time. 

As common as this seems to happen, I wonder how many other clans do the same. Hopefully, as survival is iterated upon and stressed more and more, we'll see less of these fully militarized units moving around the map or camping in cities. I'd like to see more emphasis placed on smaller groups being mobile instead of large immobile squads. Hopefully, persistence will be implemented in a way that encourages scavenging and mobility around the map. 

• Like 9

Everybody seems to always have automatic weapons, full camo gear, assault vests, helmets...everything you could ever get.I think this is a detriment to the community in a way. I'm glad that players are

so that's the way 'everyone' wants to play then, isn't it ? nobody is stopping you from playing the way you want. nobody is stopping you making videos of scavenging/running between cities. in fact it would be interesting to see just how much interest that sort of video would generate...

• Like 7

so that's the way 'everyone' wants to play then, isn't it ? nobody is stopping you from playing the way you want. nobody is stopping you making videos of scavenging/running between cities. in fact it would be interesting to see just how much interest that sort of video would generate...

The problem I have isn't where everybody wants to go, it's how they all seems to always be there. It makes me wonder how these clans and groups of players acquire this gear, since fully geared characters seem to be ubiquitous. 

If you want to, the size of the map allows for most players to gear pretty quick.

I have two characters with AKM right now.  Mags are a premium, but if you play long enough, you can find the stuff you need.  When you see the highlights, it seems more common.

I don't throw a ton of stuff into looking for AKM and such since they can be gone in an instant.  I like it when I find them, but only look briefly when the opportunity strikes.  I find I am able to kill just as easily with the MP133 in most cases.  AKM and MP133 are similarly effective at mid range, and few players can actually kill anyone at mid to long when you are running.

PVP IN DAYZ???

are_you_shitting_me.jpg

Um, yeah. This game is and has always been about PVP. If I want to survive in a hostile environment that actually does it correctly, I'll play The Forest.

• Like 4

PVP IN DAYZ???

Um, yeah. This game is and has always been about PVP. If I want to survive in a hostile environment that actually does it correctly, I'll play The Forest.

But this game isn't finished yet, and currently it's too easy to survive. I think that the addition of survival mechanics will hinder clans that have been created under the impression that this game will be easymode PvP. 

But this game isn't finished yet, and currently it's too easy to survive. I think that the addition of survival mechanics will hinder clans that have been created under the impression that this game will be easymode PvP. 

People are just adapting to what the game is now. Are they supposed to play it now based on how it's going to be when it's released? That doesn't make any sense. When the game gets harder, there will still be a metric fuckton of PVP. If people have to beat each other with sticks, they will.

To be fair, I do see your point and somewhat agree with you. But DayZ has always been about the PVP. What it becomes in the future remains to be seen!

• Like 4

Save your energy OP, you'll never convince anyone that DayZ isn't all about killing everyone you meet..........and since it's easier in this game than it is in Arma or COD or BF, the ones that get their rocks off on doing it are going to gravitate to this game. Beat them at their own game, about the only thing you can do.

• Like 3

The point of an open world sandbox is to do what you like. While I find scraping at the ground in the woods planting gardens interesting someone else might not, that's the beauty of games like DayZ.

only thing about clans that gets on my nerves is the mil speak and usually when some shit hits the fan the comms turn into just noise and i get a headache and everyone dies and then theres atleast one friendly fire incident i quit that clan as it got on my nerves i'll stick with 3 people tops now maybe 4 depending on the person and if they can have comms discipline i'm no badass and probably suck but atleast i know when to shut up. and as for not playing the game right i say let them have there fun they paid just because i don't dig it i can't down it.

I feel you OP, it I seem to be in this treadmill of doing the same thing over and over, getting geared just to go on a High-pop and PvP, think I need to slow things down, and actually try to survive more than a day, but with the recent explosion of problematic players using underhanded methods to kill people if you know what I mean. It doesn't matter if I go fill tilt or slow it down and try and survive those cheating players will "magically" find me and kill me anyways, no matter what I do.

The only way to survive is treat it the apocalypse as if you were fighting a war. Assume hostile always. Trust is for the naive.

The best part of all is the poor excuses they try to make in an effort to justify their bloodlust.

Provide military weapons and you'll end up with a military simulator. Sadly they are in, and I can't really see a way of undoing that, nor can I see any real justification for them not to be.

Personally I'd like to see no military grade weapons in the game at all but you'd just get the usual suspects whining about me DayZ turning into some sort of hardcore niche survival experience while these same people completely ignoring the fact that the real military sim (Arma) is what they want DayZ to be.

Ideally we'd see a dialling down of the amount of military weapons, meaning not every idiot and his dog has an AK. Surely a middle ground can be found until dedicated hardcore survivalist private servers can start to appear. There is enough demand for it, so I can see that happening.

Are you kidding?

The more people in a group, the more items thrown into the pool for the rest of the group.

Even though there's more consumers, say three people find a sizable number of drinks and food it's enough for everyone.

Yeah I've seen a lot of this too.  Players completely decked out in gear who are basically playing COD in dayz.  I don't even get satisfaction from killing them because I know they likely have buddies or a tent somewhere where they can gear back up immediately.  When they kill me I've got hours of looting ahead of me to get back to where I was, unless I get lucky.

I see a great deal of DayZ related content that got me to thinking...there sure do seem to be a great deal of clans and people who treat DayZ like ARMA. 

Allow me to explain...

So many of these clans are "sniper clans" and such. They so often all seemed to be geared up fully in all their videos, there's very little actual surviving and such that I see with these groups. I won't accuse them of all server hopping or using private servers, but it makes me wonder...what's the point of so many of these clans if they are all taking such an obviously military style approach to playing a survival game?

Everybody seems to always have automatic weapons, full camo gear, assault vests, helmets...everything you could ever get.

I think this is a detriment to the community in a way. I'm glad that players are banding together and having a social experience, but I simply fear that they are doing this for the wrong "reasons". I used to play with some people, but stopped after I learned that they all server hop for gear and then run back to Elecktro or Cherno to deathmatch all the time. 

As common as this seems to happen, I wonder how many other clans do the same. Hopefully, as survival is iterated upon and stressed more and more, we'll see less of these fully militarized units moving around the map or camping in cities. I'd like to see more emphasis placed on smaller groups being mobile instead of large immobile squads. Hopefully, persistence will be implemented in a way that encourages scavenging and mobility around the map.

Well you cant really blame the players, weapons are there, whether players server hopped or not. this game is becoming just another Arma, shooter game. Only devs can do something about it, a year has gone by and still few zombies or infected, i doubt we will ever see hordes.

But all these snipers and kosers only make my game that much more realistic. I treat it like i would in real life, trust no one only take what i need. To me a can of food is more important then a box of bullets, especially the one i dont have a gun for. I use my mosin's scope to check out a town from afar, move in and loot and get out. When im full i wander around looking for a possible settlement once base building is implemented. Only had to fire a bullet or two while hunting deer. Sadly havent seen any zombies for a while. I have kept this character alive since the last wipe. I bought this game for survival aspect not Arma/cod appeal.

• Like 1

I'll admit it: I am a member of a clan, and when I play with my friends, heavily-militarized PvP is what we do.  It is fun, and, quite frankly, pretty much the only thing to do in the game at this point in time.

However, we do have plans for basebuilding, agriculture, and trading with other groups, and once those get implemented, we expect them to occupy a major portion of our time, and be the major focus of our clan (gotta protect the farms from those bandits, etc)

Also, when I play by myself, I play as a survivalist; bow, fishing traps, rabbit snares, and crafted backpack.

Add more survival/homesteading aspects, make the weather, environment and such the enemy, and cut back on ammunition spawns, and you will (hopefully) see at least some of the playerbase switch over to "survival" mode.

TL:DR Clans play the "pew pew" because there is little else to do with the game at this point. 

• Like 3

Provide military weapons and you'll end up with a military simulator. Sadly they are in, and I can't really see a way of undoing that, nor can I see any real justification for them not to be.

Personally I'd like to see no military grade weapons in the game at all but you'd just get the usual suspects whining about me DayZ turning into some sort of hardcore niche survival experience while these same people completely ignoring the fact that the real military sim (Arma) is what they want DayZ to be.

Ideally we'd see a dialling down of the amount of military weapons, meaning not every idiot and his dog has an AK. Surely a middle ground can be found until dedicated hardcore survivalist private servers can start to appear. There is enough demand for it, so I can see that happening.

Because it's easier for them to "win" playing Clan PvP in DayZ than it is for them in a dedicated PvP mil sim like Arma and the others..........these are the kind of people that don't want a challenge, they want an ezmode game, and this is it for them at the moment.

I'd say in addition to downsizing the quantity of military hardware, increasing the quantity of zed, decrease the quantity of food and easy access to drinkable water and make warm clothing harder to come by..........then, unless you're a hacker, your time will primarily be spent just trying to scatch out a living as opposed to playing Rambo and / or Bambi hunting.

Lack or survival plus an abundance of weapons that you can just server hop over and over for ammo or sneakily reset your server is why. The game is still slowly progressing bit, imo, the wrong way by adding guns and not survival mechanics however it's easier to add fluff than actual mechanics but I think the devs can lay off of weapons and actually focus on the survival aspect for once.

If thats the way they want to play thats they way they'll play.

I don't play Day Z for the PVP, but me and my friends do go for military loot because its the best. It provides more spaces for loot, heavier fire power and camoflauge when you do run into other players.

• Like 2

Because it's easier for them to "win" playing Clan PvP in DayZ than it is for them in a dedicated PvP mil sim like Arma and the others..........these are the kind of people that don't want a challenge, they want an ezmode game, and this is it for them at the moment.

I can't speak for everyone, but to me there's a huge difference between a game like dayz and something like arma.  Unless people are duping/cheating, the people gearing out in mil gear are still gearing up.  And killing other players is still depriving them of an investment.  That investment goes both ways.  The appeal is that you have more to gain and lose compared to a game like arma where everyone gets the same gear from the start.

There's a bizarre notion that has taken over gaming imo, in that when it comes to pvp every fight should be fair and a strange fascination on "competitive" gaming.  This isn't what everyone wants, this isn't what I pvp for.  I want to fight people who have an advantage over me, or I want to be that person with an advantage over them.  Saying that there's no challenge there, that you should go play arma is, to me, exactly the opposite of what this is.

It's more challenging to me to have to go find myself a gun, ammo, supplies and go fight people than to just jump into a match of king of the hill.  Where kills don't mean anything, where there's no investment.  That's not what I'm into.

What you guys are all basically complaining about is that some players are more organized than you.  That's a ridiculous gripe, the game shouldn't be changed because of that.  These players are going to exist regardless.  You take it down to melee only, and guess what, there's going to be organized groups with fire axes chopping you to bits.  Are you going to tell them to go play chivalry or mount and blade at that point?  My point will still stand, that you have more investment in dayz than even those games.

PvP makes DayZ.  Risk vs reward is the appeal.  Ironically, the people telling players who enjoy pvp to go play another game are in fact the ones who don't "get" the game.  If they did, they'd realize these differences.

And btw, I've frozen to death while being pinned down.  I've had my group ambushed while trying to stay warm at a fire, resulting in one of our funnest fights recently.  I can't tell you how many times I've been jumped while drinking at fountains.  Survival shit is in there too, and it makes it all the funner.  There's room for everything.

If thats the way they want to play thats they way they'll play.

I don't play Day Z for the PVP, but me and my friends do go for military loot because its the best. It provides more spaces for loot, heavier fire power and camoflauge when you do run into other players.

This right here is the more interesting topic.  The reason people gear out in mil gear is because it's the best shit.  That's realistic, but its a topic that should be addressed.  You can get full camo and not have to worry about the weather any more, while having the most inventory space and protection.  There's no downside at all besides style points

(and to clarify my stance, I don't even use mil gear.  I think it's boring)
Edited by Bororm
  • Like 8

I can't speak for everyone, but to me there's a huge difference between a game like dayz and something like arma.  Unless people are duping/cheating, the people gearing out in mil gear are still gearing up.  And killing other players is still depriving them of an investment.  That investment goes both ways.  The appeal is that you have more to gain and lose compared to a game like arma where everyone gets the same gear from the start.

There's a bizarre notion that has taken over gaming imo, in that when it comes to pvp every fight should be fair and a strange fascination on "competitive" gaming.  This isn't what everyone wants, this isn't what I pvp for.  I want to fight people who have an advantage over me, or I want to be that person with an advantage over them.  Saying that there's no challenge there, that you should go play arma is, to me, exactly the opposite of what this is.

It's more challenging to me to have to go find myself a gun, ammo, supplies and go fight people than to just jump into a match of king of the hill.  Where kills don't mean anything, where there's no investment.  That's not what I'm into.

What you guys are all basically complaining about is that some players are more organized than you.  That's a ridiculous gripe, the game shouldn't be changed because of that.  These players are going to exist regardless.  You take it down to melee only, and guess what, there's going to be organized groups with fire axes chopping you to bits.  Are you going to tell them to go play chivalry or mount and blade at that point?  My point will still stand, that you have more investment in dayz than even those games.

PvP makes DayZ.  Risk vs reward is the appeal.  Ironically, the people telling players who enjoy pvp to go play another game are in fact the ones who don't "get" the game.  If they did, they'd realize these differences.

And btw, I've frozen to death while being pinned down.  I've had my group ambushed while trying to stay warm at a fire, resulting in one of our funnest fights recently.  I can't tell you how many times I've been jumped while drinking at fountains.  Survival shit is in there too, and it makes it all the funner.  There's room for everything.

This right here is the more interesting topic.  The reason people gear out in mil gear is because it's the best shit.  That's realistic, but its a topic that should be addressed.  You can get full camo and not have to worry about the weather any more, while having the most inventory space and protection.  There's no downside at all besides style points

(and to clarify my stance, I don't even use mil gear.  I think it's boring)

I guess if your definition of being more organized means that they group up on a 3rd party chat program and hoard gear in a zombie survival game soley for the purpose of running around killing other players that may or may not be on a 3rd party chat program (I and a couple of friend utilize TS3) then yeah, that's what we're griping about.

But if you actually read what's posted, the larger complaint is (as someone else called it) the lowest common denominator folks that have successfully managed to turn a zombie survival game into a COD game (without those pesky opponents that are guaranteed to be capable of dishing out what they receive) and run around Bambi hunting or (as seen on youtube) using other players for ignorant science experiments and as practice targets to hone their super 1337 sniper skillz with their mosins and LRS's.

About the best that can be said for the game as it stands is that it didn't cost the full price of admission to play it. I'm sure it will get better and I'm sure the survival aspect of it will grow in importance, and until it does you just have to resign yourself to playing at the lowest common denominator level previously mentioned as most modern gamers lack the intellect to play anything more demanding.

I simply fear that they are doing this for the wrong "reasons".

Is PVP really, ...wrong? Further more, enjoying it, in a group scenario, with friends.. I dont see an issue here. 

We could discuss how playing alone may perhaps be the wrong way to play? Flip the script so to say.  :|

• Like 2