SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.51 Discussion

Maybe lack of zombies + introduction of cannibalism = WE are the zombies (experiment)!

:o

• Like 2

Before I was born, millions didn't approve cannibalism. It's not what you, or I think, it's what's right and wrong, fundamentally.

Before I could even speak or make choices, cannibalism was still morally wrong.

Today's society has corrupted ways to see things...

I don't think he's saying that cannibalism in real life is morally okay or at all acceptable. If he is, well, that's just weird. But from the looks of it, he's just saying that it shouldn't be such a big deal in a video game. Don't get me wrong though, I doubt I'll be hunting people in DayZ to roast over a fire. And yes, today's society is really twisted and sick in a lot of areas, but if you walked up to someone on the street and asked them if they thought cannibalism was okay, chances are they would truthfully say it's not okay. A lot of people are morally twisted, but let's be honest, most people aren't THAT bad.

• Like 1

Status report seems to indicate that walkies are fixed?

Hard to test this when I play alone....

Status report seems to indicate that walkies are fixed?

Hard to test this when I play alone....

Find another one and I'll test it with ya.  I promise I won't eat you  ;)

• Like 2

~ but here in the uk at least you cannot buy those sort of games unless you are over 18 and its an offence for a parent to buy a game for a minor knowing full well it carries a mature certificate. So for that reason alone, your arguement is invalid.

In the retail industry as a whole, parents will very frequently try to proxy purchase age restricted titles for their children, heedless of the law.  I co-manage a multimillion pound retail outlet in sleepy Cambridgeshire, and many parents here give zero cares when it comes to buying an 18 title for little 12yr old Jimmy.  It is easy to purchase age restricted online content, and I guarantee you plenty of DayZ players are well under the age of 18.

Edited by _Mandrake_
  • Like 2

Instant game crash: "Initialization error 2." and the game doesn't even start. No RPT or minidumps. Disable Anti Virus and Firewall didn't help.

http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=18815

Can't even launch the experimental currently.

Am I really the only one with the issue? :o

/OK I've maybe finally found the reason. Need to install the game again to confirm it because my installation is pretty fucked now :P

Edited by St. Jimmy

Am I really the only one with the issue? :o

Did you try to verify the integrity of the cache?  Also try switching back to stable, then back to experimental.

Edited by Caboose187

There are different servers to chose from already, there is no need for this kind of discussion

Sorry, but thats not the case in 0.51 hence the discussion. Currently all experimental servers are running third person.

• Like 2

In the retail industry as a whole, parents will very frequently try to proxy purchase age restricted titles for their children, heedless of the law.  I co-manage a multimillion pound retail outlet in sleepy Cambridgeshire, and many parents here give zero cares when it comes to buying an 18 title for little 12yr old Jimmy.  It is easy to purchase age restricted online content, and I guarantee you plenty of DayZ players are well under the age of 18.

oh yes i fully understand that, but my point was why should we tame our game down to cater for people who its not actually intended for? If underrage people play graphic games or watch very horrific films, it shouldn't be the industry or the rest of us that suffers as a result. Cannabalism in an apocalyptic situation has been touched upon in many films and comics. Walking dead, The book of Eli etc... The fact of the matter is, whether you agree with it or not, it fits the genre, and truth be told, any personal opinion or prefrence on the matter goes right out the window when you lack the luxury of civilization and even the most stubborn vegan will chomp down on human meat if hungry enough.

• Like 3

oh yes i fully understand that, but my point was why should we tame our game down to cater for people who its not actually intended for? If underrage people play graphic games or watch very horrific films, it shouldn't be the industry or the rest of us that suffers as a result. Cannabalism in an apocalyptic situation has been touched upon in many films and comics. Walking dead, The book of Eli etc... The fact of the matter is, whether you agree with it or not, it fits the genre, and truth be told, any personal opinion or prefrence on the matter goes right out the window when you lack the luxury of civilization and even the most stubborn vegan will chomp down on human meat if hungry enough.

Go look up Australia's laws towards violence in video games.

• Like 1

Topic cleaned from the insults and derailment that is the 3PP / 1PP discussion.

There are different servers to chose from already, there is no need for this kind of discussion or anyone's preference, as it ends up - once again - with insults. Leave it.

So sorry, sir :)

Did you try to verify the integrity of the cache?  Also try switching back to stable, then back to experimental.

Believe me I literally tried very much everything. I finally found the solution. I had made simple registry tweak a long time ago to test that but now that the DayZ.exe had changed radically it made the game crash and I had to set it back. That didn't come in my mind until pretty much the last :D

Sorry, but thats not the case in 0.51 hence the discussion. Currently all experimental servers are running third person.

No, of course not. But you there is no point in creating extra workload in Experimental. See it as a service to the playerbase, there is no need to demand extra functionality.

Government officials would disagree with you.  In fact there has been huge tirades over violence in video games and how far they go.  Hell, I think Manhunter got banned in Australia and some other countries for the violence.  So, yes cannibalism could be over stepping the boundry.

I'm pretty sure if government officials played Dayz in it's current form they'd agree that it's not portayed in any realistic form.

Edited by Exorade

No, of course not. But you there is no point in creating extra workload in Experimental. See it as a service to the playerbase, there is no need to demand extra functionality.

There could be some servers running first person instead of third though... Anyways its indeed intentional (confirmed by bugtracker) so no experimental for people who enjoy immersion or tactics. Maybe the next update.

I am a shop manager as well, although from a different country, and yes, I second that, parents buying restricted titles for their children is an issue. That's why I constantly reminding my shop assistants to be vigilant and ask parents if they know about age rating, and that they may be buying a product that is not suitable for their children. Because if they don't it will be our issue, as a shop. And it is our responsibility before the law to see that the age rating rules are respected.

And yes, it's so easy for those children to actually buy something with the restricted content online. With a mom's credit card or whatever.

And yes again, judging by the voices of people you meet in Chernarus, there's plenty of players not only under age of 18, but 13 as well. I mean, you don't even need to go far to see that. Look at the Recruitment section on this forum or on Reddit. There's plenty of posts from kids who are like 15.

• Like 2

About the lack of 1st person experimental servers,

Hicks mentioned there should be some running earlier during the live stream and would check into it.

• Like 1

I agree. But not because of the "issues in some parts of the world" - there are always will be people out there offended by this or that - but because it essentially reduces the chance of friendly encounters by great margin, and this kind of encounters are already infrequent as it is.

How does it reduce the chance of friendly encounters, this is biggest pile of horse shit i have ever heard.

'I was'nt going to kill you but now i can eat you i guess i will.'

Like wise, 'i was going to kill you but because i can't eat you i guess i will be friendly'.

NO, these thought processes are made up, if your a bandit you are a bandit, if your a good person who does not kill people then you will be a good person that does not kill people, pretty damn simple, if you are good then having another pair of hands with you to look for food is better then killing and eating them and if your a bandit, well then you are already too stupid to figure that out.

This crap about it reducing friendly encounter is exactly that, a load of crap and it needs to stop.

Edited by SmashT

There could be some servers running first person instead of third though... Anyways its indeed intentional (confirmed by bugtracker) so no experimental for people who enjoy immersion or tactics. Maybe the next update.

You do know you don't have to hit that [Enter] button on the keypad, right? Don't get me wrong, I too would also prefer that there were some 1pp servers, but in the end you always have that choice to grab a pair and play in 1pp anyways.

Don't want to give others that advantage over you? Tough, that's on you.

You do know you don't have to hit that [Enter] button on the keypad, right?

Its the peeking and its implications on gameplay that bother me not the camera floating behind my head. ;) If they fix peeking I would happily play on third person servers. Without pressing enter.

I submitted a ticket earlier and it was closed with the reason being "not a bug". So kichilron's post applies. Maybe they thought providing only third person servers will result in more players playing for stresstesting (see status report).

Just because you don't mind cannibalism in a video game doesn't mean it's not wrong.

Ok, ok, ok. Let me get this strait. I've seen lots of post defending a morally bad features because it's a video game. Let's say it's a video game (eroge type) where you have sex with kids. Since it's a video game it's ok right?

Too many arguments defend morally bad actions and behavior because they are in the "virtual world" or video games. I'm having problems with this, as common sense, and good judgement seem to be more and more off balanced recently.

It's experimental, so it's subject to change, but my hope is that they didn't add cannibalism because of the Walking Dead....

This thread is derailing bad.

What a stupid comparison, cannibalism which does not conjure up a bad image in ones head, in fact when i think about cannibalism it does not make me sick compared to having sex with children, what the fuck is wrong with you.

Dayz is the most morally corrupt game i have ever played (But these choices are what makes it such a great game, Emphasis on the CHOICE, you don't have to eat people), a game where you can handcuff people and force feed them disinfectant and all kinds of horrible stuff, feed them to the walking dead but this is all fine to you and you love the game and all it's content before, you love handcuffing and torturing people since you have never mentioned how morally bad this is before but cannibalism is what ?, one step too far for you or something, you make no sense at all.

You enjoy dayz in it's current form where you can keep someone alive and do far worse things to them then just eat them when they are dead but because you can eat them when they are dead this has crossed some kind of fantasy moral boundary for you where you feel comfortable making a comparison to child molestation, as if torture is not far far worse then cannibalism, absolutely pathetic.

Edited by SmashT

What a stupid comparison, cannibalism which does not conjure up a bad image in ones head, in fact when i think about cannibalism it does not make me sick compared to having sex with children, what the fuck is wrong with you.

Dayz is the most morally corrupt game i have ever played (But these choices are what makes it such a great game, Emphasis on the CHOICE, you don't have to eat people), a game where you can handcuff people and force feed them disinfectant and all kinds of horrible stuff, feed them to the walking dead but this is all fine to you and you love the game and all it's content before, you love handcuffing and torturing people since you have never mentioned how morally bad this is before but cannibalism is what ?, one step too far for you or something, you make no sense at all.

You enjoy dayz in it's current form where you can keep someone alive and do far worse things to them then just eat them when they are dead but because you can eat them when they are dead this has crossed some kind of fantasy moral boundary for you where you feel comfortable making a comparison to child molestation, as if torture is not far far worse then cannibalism, absolutely pathetic.

You totally fail to understand my point.

No matter how YOU see it, a bad behavior is a bad behavior. Simply put, most of us have played GTA and have fun with this game. We don't go out in real life and steal cars, run over people or punch anyone we see for fun, as we know (some of us at least) that there are repercussions for these acts, and even without legal repercussions, they are disrespectful and fundamentally wrong. BUT, not everyone sees this distinction about virtual world and real world.

Thus my very harsh example, and reply to what I believed summed up like "it's just a video game, so it doesn't matter."

It's just a personal taste that I don't like cannibalism and condone it in real life, and don't like it in any form in video games. I'll deal with that.

The bigger problem here is I'm conscious of the poor judgement of people today, and how many video games, or features in them, create more and more an acceptance of bad behaviors and morally disturbed actions.

Don't take this personal, as I was replying to someone else, who clearly stated what my problem was: Everything in video games is acceptable, since it's virtual and has no impact in real life.

It's a personal taste, and I usually don't reply or post opinion about this because a lot of people defend these topics, blindly.

Think what you want.

• Like 2

All this hullabaloo about Cannibalism , seriously ? ,,,, anyone remember Fallout ? ,,, dont just sit n stare at the floor , i know you do ....  that had parties of hunters running around selling people kebobs as " the sweetest meat you've ever tasted" and it didnt make anyone outside of the game bat an eye lash over it. Granted it did effect your characters alignment and no one wanted to come over for supper or share your toothbrush when they stayed the night  but that was about the extent of it. Although we as a community take this game to heart in every form , function and plot twist as it grows and develops ,, to those on the outside looking in ,,,, *peeks around ... to the left ,,, then to the right ,,, and whispers very very softly...... its just a game  :rolleyes:

and on a completely separate note 

tGcyvPh.jpg

I know it only holds two shots ,, it just makes me feel pretty  :wub:

• Like 2

You totally fail to understand my point.

No matter how YOU see it, a bad behavior is a bad behavior. Simply put, most of us have played GTA and have fun with this game. We don't go out in real life and steal cars, run over people or punch anyone we see for fun, as we know (some of us at least) that there are repercussions for these acts, and even without legal repercussions, they are disrespectful and fundamentally wrong. BUT, not everyone sees this distinction about virtual world and real world.

Thus my very harsh example, and reply to what I believed summed up like "it's just a video game, so it doesn't matter."

It's just a personal taste that I don't like cannibalism and condone it in real life, and don't like it in any form in video games. I'll deal with that.

The bigger problem here is I'm conscious of the poor judgement of people today, and how many video games, or features in them, create more and more an acceptance of bad behaviors and morally disturbed actions.

Don't take this personal, as I was replying to someone else, who clearly stated what my problem was: Everything in video games is acceptable, since it's virtual and has no impact in real life.

It's a personal taste, and I usually don't reply or post opinion about this because a lot of people defend these topics, blindly.

Think what you want.

I do see your point i just feel your comparison was very extreme, but i fail to understand how you can support this game in any form if this is your view as you say it is since this game allows you to do things which in my opinion are a lot worse then eating others. Also the basic gist of this common debate is that some people may reenact what they see in a video game and i personally think this is utter bullshit.

If someone does something violent or morally wrong then it is due to a lot of things that have happened to them in their life, video games probably accounting for 0.001 percent if any of their thought process, i think the argument that video games can make bad behavior acceptable is nonsense just the same way as watching movies would not make that same bad behavior acceptable, i hear no uproar about violence in films yet so much about video games, enacting rape in a video game is bad most people with your opinion would say but yet it is shown in full hd glory in many films so where are the boundaries set and what does it apply to, just video games or more.

Also you did not really get to my point in your reply, are there not far worse things you can do to people while they are alive in this game then simply eating them when they are dead and do you think these are also bad additions to the game ??

Should handcuffing and force feeding people be removed as well ??

Should killing people with certain weapons like screwdrivers be removed or are these fine ??

Should stripping people naked while they are unconscious be removed ?

Should shooting people be removed all together ??

What would we be left with, the Sims, these are the reasons dayz is such a good game and i honestly think if cannibalism belongs in ANY game out there, THIS is the game it belongs in.

As much as i try i just can not understand how you would think cannibalism is a bad addition to the game and yet approve of so many worse things.

Edited by anotherdeadhero
  • Like 1

That cannibalism thing is not thought through. I do not laugh like this, I do not cry like this, my voice sounds completely different. So... raw human meat causes split personality?