SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.50 Discussion

No the loot is not there. I spawn in electro and i cant find a single peice of food, i am not blind, the loot is not there. If you are saying there are still places on the map with loot then yes there probably is but it does not make any sense at all that the biggest places are the emptiest and basically a death sentence.

As I said, in UK/DE first person servers during the evening (GMT+1) I've always found loot - both useful and useless. Those servers are usually low populated (10-20 players at best). IMHO high-population servers are under a great deal of stress because:

* there are many people who want to play

* there are few servers

* for most of the time those few servers are even fewer because some crash/are not accessible

On top of that, a lot of people like to hang in "the biggest places" like coastal towns and cities, and a lot of people spawn there too. That means the loot respawns, but is almost immediately picked up by someone. Elektrozavodsk, Chernogorsk, Berezino, Svetlojarsk and the like? I don't even bother scavenging them: too many fresh spawns and too many players poorly equipped roaming the streets and looting everything.

Try joining a low-population server and you'll see that loot spawn and respawn are working. Like in every other iteration of 0.50, there are simply too much players in the same area of the map playing on too few servers and BAM! The loot system goes down. When 0.50 will hit stable there will be a lot more servers, the population will be diluited and even if players stay in the same area the loot will work as intended. A simple solution for EXP, however, could be server stability. That should be priority #1, followed by priority #2: more servers for experimental testing.  Yesterday evening, for example, there was one (ONE!) third-person and only four (FOUR!) first-person servers on both UK and DE areas, and no SWE servers...

Edited by DocWolf
  • Like 1

Hey there,

playing DayZ now for more than 50 hours. It's really great, especially what I expect from it in the future. I'm running the experimental 0.50 now for some hours. Locking doors is really great to make others an easy prey.

Crafting:

I'd like crafting a fence out of some metal wires, or crafting a trap for other players.

If you could use sticks and grass for camouflaging boots, boonie hats, helmets and other guns like SKS, that would really kick ass. You should bea able to put a rope, sticks and grass over your jacket and pants to become almost invisble when lying on the ground.

Last thing I like to suggest is the possibility to add more spraypaint colors and the possibility to spray literally everything, at least every weapon and clothing item. Add some camouflage color for the players face as well.

Shoes:

The abrasion of shoes is very far from reality. Pristine combat boots can probably be "worn" after some hours of running (depending on the ground you are walking) but they won't be damaged or even ruined after weeks. Same with "normal" shoes. They should last a day at least to make it more realistic.

Oh and please work on that "losing your character" bug, i have to start over every day :-).

Thanks for your effort so far!

Oh and please work on that "losing your character" bug, i have to start over every day :-).

Story of my life at the moment :P

Why?  Most of us, you included, already know exactly what he'll say..

Well Duh!

Now more shoes are made in south Asia, and Chinese shoes have better quality than those. :)

Story of my life at the moment :P

Could you be a little more specific? I hear this come up from time to time, but I nor anybody I know has ever had this problem.

What CAN happen is that after a server resets and you immediately rejoin, it can temporarily fail to load your character from the central hive. Logging out and moving to a different server or waiting a few minutes fixes this issue... but if you keep playing with that fresh character, it WILL override your old saved character making it appear as though it was wiped (because it basically was). If this isn't the case, I apologize, but I would love to hear more about this issue since it doesn't seem to affect most people.

As I said, in UK/DE first person servers during the evening (GMT+1) I've always found loot - both useful and useless. Those servers are usually low populated (10-20 players at best). IMHO high-population servers are under a great deal of stress because:

I've been playing on the same servers with few players, and 95% of what I find is useless loot. Books everywhere. Gas stoves and lamps too. A lot of abandoned flashlights. Have yet to find any canned foods or drinks. Found a few tomatos and zucchinis but they're just drops in the buckets. Thank god for wells... still, I've yet to live longer than 45 minutes on experimental.

Little offtopic, but what i just read on /r/DayZ is probably the funniest thing i've ever read from a DayZ dev:

Eugen, could you please confirm that scripted explosions like this are being investigated and maybe even stopped anytime soon?

Eugen's reply:

Already stopped. For a little while (on experimental) we redirected those calls on players who called them. So they just blown themselves.

Devs that troll hackers. My day's been saved :D

Edited by ChainReactor
  • Like 6

My feet hurt, my feet are sore [screen starts getting blurrier] my feet hurt, *finds new shoes, runs for 2 minutes* 'my feet hurt, my feet are sore' god I hope they fix that before .50 goes stable.

Shoes falling apart after only a few minutes of wear, and characters losing health from having sore feet. That's broken,

Shoes falling apart after only a few minutes of wear, and characters losing health from having sore feet. That's broken,

The degradation was sped up intentionally for testing purposes ( as other mechanics were too when they got implemented for the first time ). We discussed this for a few pages on this thread.

• Like 4

The degradation was sped up intentionally for testing purposes ( as other mechanics were too when they got implemented for the first time ). We discussed this for a few pages on this thread.

Fair, so your yes meant that they'll be slowing degradation when .50 goes stable? goodee if so.

so, no exp update today ?

i need to try that brand new AK74 and that fancy pink derringer

I would doubt it. The last few major version changes have seen Stable get updated with a waiting period of about a week for a new Experimental. Given that the build being pushed to Stable is usually even newer (and therefore different) than the most recent Experimental from the week before, I would say this strategy makes sense. They would like those of us who are generally focused on Experimental to spend some time testing Stable.

Personally, I think we owe it to ourselves to take a week "off" from Experimental every month and play with the common folk :) Give your neglected Stable character some attention! I'm sure we'll see 0.51 in a week's time.

• Like 1

sneaky Chris Torchia :D , i was all hyped-up with the news 5.45*39 guns, derringer and the handle version of the MP 133 (yes, i love guns !)

I'm not saying with 100% confidence that there won't be an Experimental update today, but I doubt it given recent history and the logic I presented above.

Like I said, enjoy Stable for a few days! Everyone could use a change of pace once in a while. Depending on what, if any, changes or additions are made in this Stable build versus last week's Experimental, I may even just take a few days off from the game (already did the last two). I'm getting a little burnt out, and I don't want to lose interest ;)

hum, i had a hard time with stable past 2 days : been hacked twice, shot as a freshspawn multiple times beside not looking for trouble... people on exp seems to be more civilised :)

How utterly competent.

It is, isn't it? Hats off to the QA guys who saved you from bitter disappointment and frustration over a broken version of the game!

• Like 8

It is, isn't it? Hats off to the QA guys who saved you from bitter disappointment and frustration over a broken version of the game!

Oh yeah, right. I guess we should be reeeeally grateful that they're doing such a great job.

Ey so I read twatter, woops ahem I mean twitter.

I saw a tweet saying the 0.51 update will be released to experimental branches now. 2 minutes later It got deleted.

So I guess this is the dialogue which happened between the devs.

RandomDev1: Yo guys I just saw on @dayzdevteam twitter that they cancelled the 0.50 update but they are releasing 0.51 to the experimental branch.

RandomDev2: Oh really? That sounds nice, I can't wait to play on it.

RandomDev3: Wait wait, we are the dev team!

RandomDev1: Someone delete that tweet now!