SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.50 Discussion

Gas lamps can definitely help to warm you. I'm an Eagle Scout and I spent years with the state's ESAR group. I would say that if this mechanic was added to the game, then it should function at a much less intense level of a fireplace. Huddling next to a gas lamp will definitely warm your hands and extremities.

• Like 4

I'm slowly but surely losing health with no status effects, I was hit twice by a zombie earlier, bandaged and moved on. Any idea why I'm dying?

I'm slowly but surely losing health with no status effects, I was hit twice by a zombie earlier, bandaged and moved on. Any idea why I'm dying?

Ruined shoes? You take damage slowly if you're barefoot or have ruined shoes (Apparently you can't die from it though)

Just here to chime in on the new shoe damage implementation. First off, I think this is a fantastic idea as long as the damage the player takes stays at a very gradual and balanced level. However the reports of 1-2 Km walking distances for shoes to go from pristine to ruined is beyond extreme. Just for a reference I run about 14-16 Km per week, and I get about 6 months of life out of my regular on-a-budget Nike shoes. I should state that I retire them before they are in a "damaged" state. I'm not saying shoes in DayZ should last anywhere close to 364 Km, but hey, now you have a genuine real-world figure.

• Like 2

So here's something I've noticed,

Before you were able to dink until your stomach was full, and then eat and eat and eat until your stomach was full twice. However, as far as I can tell, that is no longer the case.

I drank until my stomach was full, and I had no room for food! I've been having to eat bits of food here and there, whenever my 'stuffed' thing goes down. I'm trying really hard to get 'healing' to work, to negate the damage brought about by lack of shoes.

Also, between the .357 repeater rifle and the pump action shotgun, which would you choose? Cause I have a repeater, but I've been finding a lot of pump shotguns.

-edit- ooooh, that's the first time I've had a match blow out from the wind. Is that new, or have I just been missing it?

Edited by snwh

Current loot system does not work with 50-60 players. Logged into cherno as a fresh spawn and ended up dying from starvation in a server with 60 players and hopping into one with 50. There was no loot anywhere, not even in one of the biggest cities in chernarus. All it takes is 2 people to loot the entire city and there's no loot respawns until server restart?

Not to mention, the server restarted before I died and the same exact loot was there, not even a loot refresh. What the hell?

Edited by Borges

No point in playing experimental. We had our week or so. Now just like always, it's turned into an Ethiopia Simulator. There's nothing to eat. All I find are glowsticks, crowbars, and books. 

• Like 1

Before you were able to dink until your stomach was full, and then eat and eat and eat until your stomach was full twice. However, as far as I can tell, that is no longer the case.

I drank until my stomach was full, and I had no room for food! I've been having to eat bits of food here and there, whenever my 'stuffed' thing goes down. I'm trying really hard to get 'healing' to work, to negate the damage brought about by lack of shoes.

Also, between the .357 repeater rifle and the pump action shotgun, which would you choose? Cause I have a repeater, but I've been finding a lot of pump shotguns.

-edit- ooooh, that's the first time I've had a match blow out from the wind. Is that new, or have I just been missing it?

healing will not move to healthy if you are moving without shoes. Get you some duct tape and just keep on mending your shoes on the fly I am sure this'll get some love soon from the devs.

As far as the repeater vrs shotgun, are most of your encounters at close range? Then go pump action shotgun, if not then go repeater. Someone can shoot at and hit you from across a field with a repeater but not with a shotgun.

And yes, that has been in for as long as camp fires have been. It used to be pretty much impossible to light a fire outside in the rain and that was the message you would get.

Edited by Barnabus
  • Like 1

No point in playing experimental. We had our week or so. Now just like always, it's turned into an Ethiopia Simulator. There's nothing to eat. All I find are glowsticks, crowbars, and books. 

this is a prime post for Hicks to respond to ;)

Gas lamps can definitely help to warm you. I'm an Eagle Scout and I spent years with the state's ESAR group. I would say that if this mechanic was added to the game, then it should function at a much less intense level of a fireplace. Huddling next to a gas lamp will definitely warm your hands and extremities.

Eagle Scout here as well  :thumbsup: Got it at age 14! Maybe that's why I like this game so much?

I had a real rough time of it on Sunday when I played, and I imagine it's probably only gotten worse since then. I lost my character to a glitch and getting re-established was difficult to say the least. I'm sitll not carrying around much, if any, extra food. I basically have to eat everything I come across. Oh well, tomorrow this character will probably be gone anyway.

• Like 1

"Ethiopia simulator" implies an overabundance of running around...and with this patch the last thing you want to do with your character is running :D . Yesterday I tried a first person server, spawned near the factory of Solnichniy (an EXTREMELY populated area) and managed to equip myself pretty well: among other things I've found in the factory/medical center there was a wool coat, cargo pants, hiking boots, a maul, a shotgun and even a Talon backpack. Food, also. So, the problem is not this new build of DayZ: the loot is there, and it respawns.

It seems that too many players in the same area stress the loot respawn system to a point of no return: I noted that in the past days, when UK/DE third person servers accessible to players were just two or three in the 20.00-22.00 GMT+1 timeframe. In those servers spawn areas and their immediate surroundings were picked clean of ANY loot. Too many players and too few servers are creating a very poor gaming experience - developers should work on server stability issues, IMHO.

Edited by DocWolf

Ruined shoes? You take damage slowly if you're barefoot or have ruined shoes (Apparently you can't die from it though)

That must be what it was, Healing now. It was difficult as I'd dedicated this life to living solely off the land once Id left cherno

in order to have a better gaming experience in exp, hammer/plier/chemlights/small wrench should be removed from loot table (temporary) to raise chances to find usefull stuff on the coast.

this is a prime post for Hicks to respond to ;)

Why?  Most of us, you included, already know exactly what he'll say..

I've always done a lot of walking rather than running.  People actually notice you less if you're walking - a fast moving object catches the eye - and zeds don't hear you as easily, in my experience. That said, I can't wait for them to get the data they need to see how this feature is working so that they can start balancing the time.

• Like 1

The starving-while-stuffed issue isn't resolved quickly once that cycle starts.

Don't drink until you're stuffed. Drink enough to get a light green Hydrated message, eat enough to get the light green Energized message, and jog inland.

Don't run or you'll burn calories and dehydrate too fast.

When you search bushes for berries or trees for apples, check the same bush or tree a hundred times.

Same goes for finding sticks and small stones, search the same spot. No need to move around and burn even more energy.

Edited by whiskeytango
  • Like 1

Yes, Food and water is combo stuff now. What I've been doing is drinking water until hydrated is just green, not bright green. Then supplementing my hunger as I find it. Most food will give some hydration effects as well.

Not sure about when they implemented the wind blowing out my matches, only happened a few times.

As far as the repeater or pump shotty. I'm torn. I really like them both. Kinda depends on what ammo I have.

• Like 1

Personally I keep the gun I find first with ammo. I love both the MP-133 and the repeater, they are just wonderful.

As for wind blowing matches, it was like that since they first implemented camp fires, a few months ago. It was happening more often back then, and it's been balanced/nerfed quite a lot. Listening to the wind blowing can help you time it correctly.

• Like 2

I've also been seeing a decent amount of guns lying around with ammo in them. For sure I can remember a ruined revolver, a shotgun, and a fully upgraded mosin with camo wrap included.

I wonder if I'm finding other people's guns or if this is a new feature (or I've just had a horrible time looting since I only started playing a short time ago)

I've also been seeing a decent amount of guns lying around with ammo in them. For sure I can remember a ruined revolver, a shotgun, and a fully upgraded mosin with camo wrap included.

I wonder if I'm finding other people's guns or if this is a new feature (or I've just had a horrible time looting since I only started playing a short time ago)

It's other players guns for sure. The ruined one is a bit obvious, but for the other you seen, it might be that they had 2 main weapons, and dropped the one in their hands to do some action, and for them it disappeared on screen. It's a know bug/glitch with the current experimental. If you log out and back in again, you'll see your gun at your feet, or if you're with someone else, he can pick it up for you.

^I would guess you are finding other peoples discarded guns. (Edit: ninja'd by Odin)

I do not believe they have implemented guns that spawn other than in pristine (or possibly ruined) condition and never with any ammo/clips/magazines/attachments.

I just had a session that lasted close to an hour.

I was carrying the mp-133 but had some trouble stockpiling ammo for it.

I kept finding TONS of .22 rounds and then found a 30 round Sporter magazine!

After carrying the magazine and .22 rounds for a long long time and not finding a Sporter I finally found one inside a train car.

Shortly after that, I found 3 boxes of shotgun shells and another mp-133 but stuck with the Sporter as I had so many rounds for it.

Hunting lodges are sponsored by Emelda Marcos apparently and are filled with shoes of all types.

More zeds is great but I found they can still aggro on me from very far away when I am high up on a building or ladder.

Zeds seem more confused by door states than before.

They do more standing in front of open doors or circling the building that has an open door than just arbitrarily running through walls/doors, which is preferable for the time being.

One zombie circled the warehouse I was in over and over and I tried taking pot shots at it with the Sporter every time he passed the door but he was too darn fast. :(

Eventually he sort of glitched into standing just to one side of the door and I was able to shoot him dead.

Edited by BioHaze

It's other players guns for sure. The ruined one is a bit obvious, but for the other you seen, it might be that they had 2 main weapons, and dropped the one in their hands to do some action, and for them it disappeared on screen. It's a know bug/glitch with the current experimental. If you log out and back in again, you'll see your gun at your feet, or if you're with someone else, he can pick it up for you.

The way to avoid this bug with a second main weapon, is to always drop it before doing any actions like eating. If you forget, and you see the weapon in your hands, but also on the ground(left column) drop it and take into hands again. What's happening is the gun is warping to the spot where you first dropped the gun to eat, but after eating it looks like it's back in your hands so you go about your merry way. 

Edited by JubeiDOK
  • Like 1

Overall this experimental patch is far more stable than 0.49 for me - I experience almost no lag as aposed to the game often becoming unplayable.

A few points (I know many of these have been raised before on this thread) - there seem to be more injury/death spots, my first chap ran into a fence and broke his leg and took a lond time to die as suprisingly breaking his leg gave him gills as I couldn't drown him! The second chap died on a rooftop for no obvious reason. occasionally the game crashes when returning to the main screen from the server lobby.

My current chaps been alive for over 2 hours, he's doing well, I havn't played with many of the new items yet though. Had one issue with him where his down jacket randomly disappeard - along with my ammo :-(

There seem to be about twice as many zombies around which is fine, they were a bit sparse before.

All in all it's looking like a good improvment to 0.49

Thanks guys!

"Ethiopia simulator" implies an overabundance of running around...and with this patch the last thing you want to do with your character is running :D . Yesterday I tried a first person server, spawned near the factory of Solnichniy (an EXTREMELY populated area) and managed to equip myself pretty well: among other things I've found in the factory/medical center there was a wool coat, cargo pants, hiking boots, a maul, a shotgun and even a Talon backpack. Food, also. So, the problem is not this new build of DayZ: the loot is there, and it respawns.

It seems that too many players in the same area stress the loot respawn system to a point of no return: I noted that in the past days, when UK/DE third person servers accessible to players were just two or three in the 20.00-22.00 GMT+1 timeframe. In those servers spawn areas and their immediate surroundings were picked clean of ANY loot. Too many players and too few servers are creating a very poor gaming experience - developers should work on server stability issues, IMHO.

No the loot is not there. I spawn in electro and i cant find a single peice of food, i am not blind, the loot is not there. If you are saying there are still places on the map with loot then yes there probably is but it does not make any sense at all that the biggest places are the emptiest and basically a death sentence.