SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.50 Discussion

Well, so far no "sticky" keys here.  Running animation is just lame  :( .  Regarding loot and survival rate: get your ass out of the beach as soon as you can (usual advice huh?), try some berries for starters. That will give you some fuel to make it deeper inside the map.  One thing that is radically different is how rapid you can be hungry and thirsty again.  Burning calories like an old V-8. Up to the North West you will find food, clothes and .380 ammo...lots of them.

Died twice just as I was getting a taste of the 0.50: once of starvation (stayed too long at the coast) and the other from a one hit zombie fist.....weird!....

Main complaint: haven´t seen yet one single "new" thing.

Cheers!

The problem is, the north-west is to far away if you are in the south... depending on where you spawn some areas are harder to reach, *hint*... why i said it needs some "balancing", the calories burning needs some adjusting.

Yes, a point I have pondered - if you can't find enough calories to make it to the next village, even if you were going to be lucky enough to find a village on the route that hasn't been looted, you are stuck.  I had about 15 Cherno/Elektro spawns, and died in all of them.  Either I was unable to find enough food, or taking risks to find that food and dying from zombies.

Note: the pitchfork is still useless against zombies.

Z

Yes, a point I have pondered - if you can't find enough calories to make it to the next village, even if you were going to be lucky enough to find a village on the route that hasn't been looted, you are stuck.  I had about 15 Cherno/Elektro spawns, and died in all of them.  Either I was unable to find enough food, or taking risks to find that food and dying from zombies.

Z

I have no problems with the Zombies... with the mouse acceleration fixed, and the hitbox being a lot better, i killing them very easily. The problem is the calories burning V's distance travelled ratio, that needs some adjusting.. not a lot thought.. just "some" adjusting. 

I have no problems with the Zombies... with the mouse acceleration fixed, and the hitbox being a lot better, i killing them very easily. The problem is the calories burning V's distance travelled ratio, that needs some adjusting.. not a lot thought.. just "some" adjusting. 

If you have a weapon it is not much of a problem at all but without one spawning inside Cherno or Electro is pretty much a death sentence unless you get something to hit them with right off.  Wrenches and useless shit abound, but axes and hoes are getting rarer and rarer in the cities.  Even though fists are pretty good at this point getting beat up by zeds takes a toll pretty quick, especially if you can't find any bandages or make any rags out of anything.

Calories definitely need some adjustments, I swear, I didn't have characters starve to death this much or so fast ever, even in my first noobish week.  It's crazy, even once you get healthy it is a chore to keep it.

Hydration meter is pretty crazy in this patch but I've survived still very well. Just need to drink from the wells so everytime you leave a town drink yourself full.

Here's my 0.50 experimental travelling. Only walking started from Berezino after almost bled out by a zombie. I was even uncouncious. Now I've been well fed and hydrated :)

5wujYSY.jpg

• Like 4

If you have a weapon it is not much of a problem at all but without one spawning inside Cherno or Electro is pretty much a death sentence unless you get something to hit them with right off.  Wrenches and useless shit abound, but axes and hoes are getting rarer and rarer in the cities.  Even though fists are pretty good at this point getting beat up by zeds takes a toll pretty quick, especially if you can't find any bandages or make any rags out of anything.

Calories definitely need some adjustments, I swear, I didn't have characters starve to death this much or so fast ever, even in my first noobish week.  It's crazy, even once you get healthy it is a chore to keep it.

That's an improvement over before where once you were fully energized you could essentially forget about the hunger mechanic.

After getting my first experimental character to the point where he can live indefinitely (everything he needs to live off the land), I figured I'd try a 3rd person character to see how much more difficult it is on more populated servers. Spawned in Svetlo and have slowly made me way through the northeast, now heading toward Severograd. I've had red hunger a couple times but mostly I've kept it under control with strategic foraging when necessary as well as the odd can of something I find. I haven't become energized yet but I'm getting close to the point where I'll have everything I need to hunt, at which point I'll have once again reached the point where my only real threat is players. So that'll be 2/2. I understand that people are having trouble with the new mechanics but I have a hard time seeing it yet as anything but a good thing.

That's an improvement over before where once you were fully energized you could essentially forget about the hunger mechanic.

After getting my first experimental character to the point where he can live indefinitely (everything he needs to live off the land), I figured I'd try a 3rd person character to see how much more difficult it is on more populated servers. Spawned in Svetlo and have slowly made me way through the northeast, now heading toward Severograd. I've had red hunger a couple times but mostly I've kept it under control with strategic foraging when necessary as well as the odd can of something I find. I haven't become energized yet but I'm getting close to the point where I'll have everything I need to hunt, at which point I'll have once again reached the point where my only real threat is players. So that'll be 2/2. I understand that people are having trouble with the new mechanics but I have a hard time seeing it yet as anything but a good thing.

Yeah, the problem is the "barrier" before you become self-sufficient...once you have everything you need to survive, of course is easy. But i assuming you got your gear at the start of the 0.50... right ? The loot isn't spawning regularly any more.. which means is a huge barrier for freshspawns right now... If a bit like if you "Lucky" you may survive..but you should also be available to use your skills..not just "luck". Also...you shouldn't need to server hop to survive.. that should never be part of the mechanics.

• Like 2

Reported the bugs I have found, I feel I have done my duty, so, for the weekend I am back to stable.  See you experimental jocks on Monday.

• Like 2

I'm FINALLY having a good run on 0.50 tonight (hope I don't jinx myself by saying that!). I had to die 5 more times to finally get "suitable conditions" for surviving past the first fifteen minutes. I have an improvised backpack, acceptable clothing, an ax, a loaded Double Rifle, and enough food to ease my mind for a while. Time to do what I wanted to do in the first place: explore the new map changes :)

Edited by Tatanko

Yeah, the problem is the "barrier" before you become self-sufficient...once you have everything you need to survive, of course is easy. But i assuming you got your gear at the start of the 0.50... right ? The loot isn't spawning regularly any more.. which means is a huge barrier for freshspawns right now... If a bit like if you "Lucky" you may survive..but you should also be available to use your skills..not just "luck". Also...you shouldn't need to server hop to survive.. that should never be part of the mechanics.

This, unfortunately, is exactly what I was "forced" to do. So, I decided "screw it!", geared up (barely) with a shovel, a can of tuna and a school briefcase. Downed a Zucchini and a can of Spite on the way and headed towards Solnichny, planning on seeing if Tulga on the way had some more loot to offer.

I started out at Kamy, finally ready to go exploring a little. All needs were at neutral after being dark energized for about five to eight minutes. So I set out, dodge a couple Zeds, and keep in mind NOT to sprint as this seems out to just suck your energy right out of you.

It was exactly 8 minutes until I was hungry, 5 more until I went into "starving" mode and becoming thirsty.

I don't even know what to say anymore. There was no way I was gonna make it to Solnichny (or anywhere else) as in this state I fought a couple of Zeds which left me bleeding with no rags left.

Sorry, but this is just sad. I honestly have to say I ragequit for the first time in many months. I know I just wanted to try it, and experimental doesn't really mean much since we get wiped again next update, but it is just really getting too frustrating.

So yeah, hotfix please.

I hope my tears will taste delicious. May they get you energized and healthy. :emptycan:

Edited by Demonica

That's a fair question. I had gathered some things maybe a couple hours after the exp patch went live but I didn't get my fishing rod (and thus self-sufficiency) till today. However, once I had done that, I switched to 3rd person servers to try again as a fresh spawn on more populated servers and had the experience I described above. That fresh spawn I started today is only matches away from being able to cook a ton of boar meat but after getting to Severograd, I have enough food to last a while even without it.

So there's no question that luck plays a factor, luck always plays a factor and it should. Skill and strategy are still important components though. Though I'm not sure skill is really the best word, it's more strategy and perhaps just having a knowledge of the map. Having a clear idea of what your next objective is, not getting distracted and always being aware of your hierarchy of needs (what's going to kill me faster?) is I think crucial to surviving the beginning. The most important thing you can find early on is something to keep warm, it may seem like hunger but it's actually cold that will kill you in the beginning. So long as you are warm you can never starve as you can always forage yourself away from starvation, you aren't going to get healthy that way but you'll stay alive. However if you're cold, you're going to get hungrier faster and maybe eventually get hypothermic. My big balancing act with this character today was that when I found a badly damaged wool coat, I could stay warm but only with occasional bursts of sprinting which I'm afraid were depleting my calories faster, however just being cold also depletes your calories faster. The one thing that I really wanted wasn't food (despite being low-level hungry) but a sewing kit. And of course again there's the luck element, no matter how careful I had been there's always the chance some guy walks up to you and shoots you in the face or that one building you skipped had a can of tuna, etc.

Edited by Ebrim

Makes me wonder if someone is trying to force coop play after all.  It's much, much tougher to lone wolf it now.  It can still be done, but it sure has, once again, changed everyone's looting priorities.

Makes me wonder if someone is trying to force coop play after all.  It's much, much tougher to lone wolf it now.  It can still be done, but it sure has, once again, changed everyone's looting priorities.

I played some exp yesterday, with a cople of  friends. No benefit to do that as you spawn far apart and right now one starves to death within 2,5 km. :o

Even after server restart there is not enough loot to keep one alive, I found and ate one can of pasta and it got me 3-4 km´s... whatever happend, it needs to be rebalanced.

Also my buddies complained about that sticky control-bug, makes one very vulnareable to Z´s as one cant move in a controlled way.

No food or clothes respawn at all and the only meele one finds is a wrench...as the axes are picked already and does not respawn either. Right now it is unplayable. To sad as it is weekend an many have the time to do so. I can imagine many stops playing for a while now...wich is bad for develpment. Hurry up with balansing plz.

That's a fair question. I had gathered some things maybe a couple hours after the exp patch went live but I didn't get my fishing rod (and thus self-sufficiency) till today. However, once I had done that, I switched to 3rd person servers to try again as a fresh spawn on more populated servers and had the experience I described above. That fresh spawn I started today is only matches away from being able to cook a ton of boar meat but after getting to Severograd, I have enough food to last a while even without it.

So there's no question that luck plays a factor, luck always plays a factor and it should. Skill and strategy are still important components though. Though I'm not sure skill is really the best word, it's more strategy and perhaps just having a knowledge of the map. Having a clear idea of what your next objective is, not getting distracted and always being aware of your hierarchy of needs (what's going to kill me faster?) is I think crucial to surviving the beginning. The most important thing you can find early on is something to keep warm, it may seem like hunger but it's actually cold that will kill you in the beginning. So long as you are warm you can never starve as you can always forage yourself away from starvation, you aren't going to get healthy that way but you'll stay alive. However if you're cold, you're going to get hungrier faster and maybe eventually get hypothermic. My big balancing act with this character today was that when I found a badly damaged wool coat, I could stay warm but only with occasional bursts of sprinting which I'm afraid were depleting my calories faster, however just being cold also depletes your calories faster. The one thing that I really wanted wasn't food (despite being low-level hungry) but a sewing kit. And of course again there's the luck element, no matter how careful I had been there's always the chance some guy walks up to you and shoots you in the face or that one building you skipped had a can of tuna, etc.

Is it a matter of luck if nothing spawns/respawns?

So you went by and picked all food, I spawn half an hour later and there is nothing...? Luck?Tactics?

Bull. I have over 500 huors and really love the survivalpart and hard challenges, but right now it is not possible to play.

Not even after the server restarted while playing there was any food or clothes anyware near where I managed to move. I lost eight characters before I gave up and with them I seached all settlements from Elektro all the way up to Novo.... nothing but wrenches.... (tactics sure)

And trying to move inland was not possible as my char died from starvation after 2,5 km´s every time.

I tested to pick apples, after picking 30! apple trees I found two!! Rotten! apples.... (tactics sure) and died of starvation

Something has gone badly wrong with balansing and need to be attended to quickly.

And if you believe that you survive due to skills right now and not by luck so kill your char and do a restart... then come back and  tell us your story. ;)

Yeah... loot isn't spawning in the experimental servers, and the places where it could be loot are to far inland, so you die before you can get there... that was happening in the persistent servers in Stable too, but it seems to be worst in 0.50

I'm sure is loot in there.. is just unreachable at the moment. 

Played a bit in the PM yesterday and food was all over Severograd and surrounding towns, so loot must be respawning to some extent I would think. That's based on the assumption that loot is still not spawning on server restarts.

Z

I am pretty sure that loot is not spawning at the moment, combined with that ones calories are consumed in far to fast pace... makes it not possible to play anymore

• Like 2

I am pretty sure that loot is not spawning at the moment, combined with that ones calories are consumed in far to fast pace... makes it not possible to play anymore

Loot is respawning, just not in the quantities or locations you would expect and it is not working 100% correct. (ie Berezino was empty but Solinichny and Gorka were stacked with respawned loot)

Edited by dromag67
  • Like 1

Loot is respawning, just not in the quantities or locations you would expect and it is not working 100% correct. (ie Berezino was empty but Solinichny and Gorka were stacked with respawned loot)

This could be quazi intentional. Seems like, for example Berezno is empty because every person that spawns there loots everything, doesnt find enough and starves, instead of trying for example Solinichney.

The problem seems to be that people only want to loot Elek, Berezno, Cherno, and Svet, and put no effort into looting the places where all that loot has been respawned into.

Example 1 http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197963511292/screenshot/531747249736247807

Edited by Judopunch

The problem seems to be that people only want to loot Elek, Berezno, Cherno, and Svet, and put no effort into looting the places where all that loot has been respawned into.

Example 1 http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197963511292/screenshot/531747249736247807

Nice generalization, I'm quite sure it's just that a lot of people don't happen to find such places.

The places I've been to with my latest characters so far are:

Solnichniy > Factory > Orlovets > Polana > Dolina > Staroye > Mogilevka >Nadezhino > Dubky

And I didn't see any places with stacks of respawned loot. I call it luck and most of the time when I play, it's bad.

Nice generalization, I'm quite sure it's just that a lot of people don't happen to find such places.

Solnichniy > Factory > Orlovets > Polana > Dolina > Staroye > Mogilevka >Nadezhino > Dubky

And I didn't see any places with stacks of respawned loot. I call it luck and most of the time when I play, it's bad.

You seem to get around a bit. Seems fair I didnt mean to sound like this happens everywhere. However, the scarcity principle is kicking into effect in .5 exp. The actual problem of NOT having something is creating a dynamic in how to approach the game.

Do you think that you should get every piece of equipment you need in the first town you come across? If so you may have to wait for the mod. Not having a thing, creates value for that thing. If everyone has everything there is no incentive to search.

I believe peoples expectations are flawed with the constant restart full loot citys. What do you think? 

I applaud your effort to move away from the coast and would like to point out that you survived (Edit:provided you did survive? I am unclear if this was to difficult for you baised on your ambiguous wording). It wasn't easy but you did it. This is in stark contrast to all the people who do not follow in your footsteps and take the initiative to change their ways. They keep trying the same tactics, mainly gearing up in Electo to pvp.

Edited by Judopunch
  • Like 1

You should never go into a town expecting stacked loot waiting for you with a ribbon tied around it. Get what you can to help you survive and move to a new location. Expecting to survive long term on coastal towns and one town inland will be folly.

Priorities for a new spawn should be to find clothing, rope, a knife/axe/machete/hacksaw, and matches. You can survive simply off these things. Do not expect to survive solely off canned food.

This patch is most definitely "survival on steroids" but not nearly as impossible as some people make it out to be.

Priorities are changing: next meal > next gun.

• Like 2

Priorities are changing: next meal > next gun.

I hope this continues to be a trend in this game. Let the moders break everything. 

Because of this interaction I have had 5 non hostile interactions with complete strangers. We traded food and amo, helped create backpacks, gave advice.

When its not 'insta-respawn gear up pvp mode', people play much differently.

• Like 4

You should never go into a town expecting stacked loot waiting for you with a ribbon tied around it.

I didn't expect to. It wasn't the point of my reply.

Priorities for a new spawn should be to find clothing, rope, a knife/axe/machete/hacksaw, and matches. You can survive simply off these things. Do not expect to survive solely off canned food.

See that's the general problem with assuming things about people you don't know. There's nothing in my original post that would imply that I'm in need of this lecture.

Here's a screenshot of my character couple of hours into the game. Because ironically all the stuff that you mention was at the time in my inventory. The rope is in the case. I always tend to save it for the improvised leather backpack.

http://i.imgur.com/nXZNhDA.jpg

Do you think that you should get every piece of equipment you need in the first town you come across? If so you may have to wait for the mod. Not having a thing, creates value for that thing. If everyone has everything there is no incentive to search.

Assumptions like this lead to all those shitty generalisations about "what people other than me do".

I never implied any such notions.

You in your original post said that if people bothered to look outside their comfort zone, the first big cities near the area they spawned to, then they might find those stacks of respawning items.

My point was that although I've visited all the places I listed, so far I haven't seen any such stacks. Therefore I doubt that the unbalanced way in which the loot respawns is intentional.

Edited by Exorade
  • Like 3

I didn't expect to. It wasn't the point of my reply.

See that's the general problem with assuming things about people you don't know. There's nothing in my original post that would imply that I'm in need of this lecture.

http://i.imgur.com/nXZNhDA.jpg

Assumptions like this lead to all those shitty generalisations about "what people other than me do".

You in your original post said that if people bothered to look outside their comfort zone in the first big cities near the area they spawned to, then they might find those stacks of respawning items.

My point was that although I've visited all the places I listed, so far I haven't seen any such stacks. Therefore I doubt that the unbalanced way in which the loot respawns is intentional.

I apologize I made assumptions that the "bad luck" you spoke of was the same as most people on this thread that are having trouble in cherno/elektro/berezino/svet.

Edited by dromag67
  • Like 1

Without getting to derailed, I also believe that it is not fully implemented and functioning as a final form.

However there seems to be a fair amount of complaining about not finding loot, within 5 mintues of spawning. Tied to this complaining is the implication that players expect to get everything they need within the first few minutes of playing, and that they seem to not be adapting to the dynamic situation.

You in your original post said that if people bothered to look outside their comfort zone, the first big cities near the area they spawned to, then they might find those stacks of respawning items

I was honestly asking a question. 

It is my understanding that the developer wants to make the game survival oriented, where freezing and starving to death is a valid concern.

This patch does just that.

So, do you think that players should be able to find everything they need in one city, 5 minutes after they spawn?

Edited by Judopunch