SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.50 Discussion

Yes, I have starved to death three times - second and third just for corroboration - attempting to get enough apples to eat.  It takes more time and sucks more energy to find non-rotten apples than it is worth; while you are sitting there you are usually in the shade and getting cold at the same time.  Current assessment - don't look for apples or berries.  If you can find matches and an axe, go kill a cow and cook it.

Z

Yep, just a bit brutal at the moment.  Froze to death my first spawn, ignoring the warnings, went hypothermic and died, in the rain of course.  Second spawn, died of dehydration, after about 3 hours of game play.  Had headed north, looking for choppers, and apparently I was not quite prepared after getting turned around.  Now mind you that was after being energized and healthy for quite some time.  Current mechanics are a bit unforgiving to say the least.  I'm not whining about it btw, quite the opposite to be honest.  Very much a challenge to stay alive given what we have become accustom too prior to this build.  Eat and drink often, but limit your intake at each event, rinse and repeat and you should be fine.  If you are on the move, carry extra goods to consume as running does seem to require extra sustenance.  Oh and don't expect your favorite power runs / locations to provide what you had previously experienced.  Lesson learned on my part...the hard way. Oh and btw, after 6 hours of game play I did not experience any of the issues that some have.  Not one issue with being unable to control my character.

• Like 1

Spent a few hours on the experimental 0.50 build, I have to say I'm liking it, not sure what's changed other than I'm actually surviving, food/drink (apart from wells of course) seem to be more scarce and I'm loving it.

Spawned in Kamyshovo, done some looting didn't find much so in a down pour and with only a pickaxe and the t-shirt on my back I head for Elektro hoping to find some better clothing and food.

I Get there, soaked, shaking and cold, I spend the next two days there, hoping to find something good, apart from the odd canned food and a soda or two, I don't find much. While looting I approach the "hotel" building opposite the church (I say hotel as that's what's on the front of it says, the one opposite the West fire station) when I hear some movement above me. I slowly move up to the top floor and peek around the door when I see this.

Yes I managed to snap a screen shot as the zombie was in mid-flight lol.DayZ2014-10-0302-16-35-18_zpsf6ff99cf.pn

So after taking a little beating I head for the Fire Station, climbing the tower I take a little peek outside and I see what I had just killed heading back for me lol.

DayZ2014-10-0302-20-54-87_zpsc8472065.pn

All in all, loving this .050 build, still no clue what's changed (apart from the movement animations of course) but seems a little more effort is needed to actually survive which in my opinion, is a good thing.

Edited by RagedDrew

Didn't CTD today, but the walking bug on 1st person servers is nuts.  I get it all the time, indoors, out doors, where ever.  Makes me wicked nervous in a fire station or a hay barn. On third person it's not so bad, usually only happens inside a building. 

Super annoying bug is the controls bug, every once in a while, for no apparent reason, I can't get my inventory to come up.  I have to go into configuration and "remind" it to use the default key bindings for DayZ.

Edited by Barnabus

I'm guessing I don't get the movement bug because I map my keys in a weird left handed button configuration...?

I was able to pick fresh apples to reach neutral health earlier myself, I just never reached energized or healing when I needed it.

I have tried to play exp .50 this morning. It has become somewhat more difficult. :/

I did four restarts (died of starvation and combined starve/unconsius beaten by Z´s) and what I found out during this was:

-that after a town is looted there will not spawn new loot for them spawning later on that server. I lived in the believe that loot respawns to give those a chance that connects to a server after the first half hour of serverhopping grasshoppers?

- Searching for apples or berries is no use anymore, for every 20-30 apple tree you get about 2 rotten! apples, this takes so much time so one will starve to death

- After respawn, if one starts to jog (drinks full stomach with water first) one can jog only 2,5km?! then dies of starvation. This means that there is no chance to reach inland to find loot when the coastvillages has been looted by others...

These facts combined with that you only spawn along the coast makes it really discouraging to try to play. (Imagine one who just bought the game?)

- if possible I would like to have the chance to survive on fruit and berries, up the amount of apples and berries plz

- make it possible to suvive longer without food. (irl I do a fast every month/two month, where I only drink water during two days...I manage without fainting or feeling weakness to work during this with no issues whatsoever.)

- I really wish that one respawns more randomly across the map, and preferably inside houses... safer and more confusing. Now one knows quickly where one is and is able to start a "lootrun" like them other grasshoppers. This would bring back that feeling of beeing lost one had the first time playing...nice feeling of fear and confusion.

I hope that devs see this and corrects it, because right now it is almost impossible to get into the play as a newspawn, or the only way is to watch servers carefully and join when they restart...wich only encourages serverhopping.

(I have over 500 hours ingame and like the survival part so pls do not trash me with silly comments about the surviving aspect, I only wish for a balance that is enjoyable)

It is certainly not a fix and I would be very surprised if the hydration and energy model ever make to stable in its current form. It's only meant to be a workaround for those attempting to help out on the experimentals.

Yeah, I know that's not how you meant it, and in a way it's a good idea. It just that the thought of playing that way annoys the hell outta me.

- Searching for apples or berries is no use anymore, for every 20-30 apple tree you get about 2 rotten! apples, this takes so much time so one will starve to death

Yeah, about that. During my 3 hour apple orgy last night, I left around 30 to 40 rotten apples piled neatly in towers in front of the apple trees around Dobroe. Server restarts don't seem to delete rotten fruit, which they should IMO

Edited by ColonelBurton

i keep dying of starvation or hypothermia no loot or the rains kills you a lil tune for this build would be good :)

We Run Like the Old Zombie Run Animations Hahaa (to Blend in? Perhaps)

Also Have Bugged Movement Every time I Press a Key Which Seems Worse than Most Here
Melee Works Flawlessly though Able to Hit Zombies with the Crosshairs on them every time Nice ^_^

Rolled Back to .49 :( Hope Bug Fixed soon its Just Unplayable

Starved to Death in First town in First 30min Despite 2 Cans Tactical Bacon an Orange and a Bag of Rice lol xD Just was Using up and Not Registering Other than Losing Hydration and my Stomach Was Full
Starving to Death to Unconcious to Dead in a Matter of a Minute Realy oddly Fast

Edited by NokyoOkami

Played few lives in .50. And I had oposite exoerience. First life I found clothes, kids backpack, pickaxe, food, bandages, all in Cherno. I was AFK for 30 seconds and got killed. Next 3 respawns in Prigorodky brought me nothing than starvation and hypothermia. Yesterday I spawneb at Kamishowo, imidiatly found bouble jacket, kids backpack, caps, some food, FNX mag, 7,62 speedloader... I decided to run inland, Msta than Staroye. On my way I ate berries which I found at least 10 on 20-25 bushes. In Msta I found pristine rain coat. So its either you find clothes and food fast, or you dont anything and die in agony. Melee is better now, killed some zeds with fists and screwdriver. All in all, its very hard to survive first 30 minutes. There is 10% of loot that is in .49 stable. There arent even jeans and flashlights to find in Cherno.

With the new energy management system this build is discouraging repetitive loot-runs in the well know places this community loves. That's good: I was tired of seeing (and reading) of the copycat lootig sprees in the military bases and such. I'm not sure increasing calories consumption AND decreasing food spawn is a sensible choice, though. Igor-vk is right, the first minutes of each new characters are crucial: if you find decent or good loot around, you maybe live. If you don't it's an one-way ticket to death.

While I welcome an harsher approach to survival, I feel that there's something off with 0.50' solution to the "easy survival" problem in DayZ. I mean: you don't find a lot of canned goods, and that's ok. You can eat wild fruits/berries but, well, there are few and they give you few calories anyway. This, combined with the previous, is not good but still not a problem. You can still hunt, right? But in order to cook hunted animals you need:

* axe

* rags

* matches

* tree branch(es)

* tree log(s)

* knife to butcher animal

or

* gas stove

* gas canister

* kettle

* matches

If we consider the time (and energy) required to actually find those supplies, it's clear we need some sort of sustainment for a while. But canned foods and fruits/berries are rare...so we have a problem. Because once we find those items we need time (and energy) to find and kill the animal, and a little additional time in order to wait for meat to cook. Better avoid the topic of "fishing", because you need a tree branch, a rope, a super-rare fishing hook, a farming hoe to dig out earthworms, earthworms, a blade to gut/fillet the fish....yeah, you've got the picture. 

I suggest a "simple" drop in the spawn rate of canned food, and a backtrack to the previous calories consumption system. Or keep the actual calories consumption, and return to 0.49 food spawn rate. Or maybe let people spawn with very sturdy multitool: something that does not start degrading after two or three uses. In this way you have at least a small blade (cut/fillet venison or fishes), a can opener (open canned foods) and at least another small implement (maybe a small saw to cut off ONLY kindling from trees?).

Edited by DocWolf
  • Like 7

I like how it's getting harder to survive but at the moment I feel the food / drink system is out of balance and should be a little more forgiving. Right now it feels like my ONLY priority is food and you can go from neutral hunger to being dead of starvation within minutes. Hope they bring more balance.

• Like 1

I am thoroughly enjoying the harsh conditions on exprimental atm...dunno what is bugs or not, but I managed to get control of thirst and hunger yesterday...just had to eat ALOT in the beginning, and drink evenly. Stayed out of rain and did not sprint around all the time. Found a downjacket, so that helped alot for the cold. The items that are trivial on stable actually mattered now.

Edited by svisketyggeren

spawned... next to cherno.

run into several building on the out skirts... nothing.

police station.. nothing.

fire station... nothing.

grocery store... nothing.

I was first into the server after a reset....

now if im correct.. and the way persistence works is that if I drop say my battery or flash light in that location its preventing items from spawning.

so technically if people are swapping out basic items like a flashlight and battery into the game everytime they spawn.... starting areas are going to eventually be empty.

I can drop a battery in a cop shop and there will be no loot.

tested and confirmed. my friend just some how found a knife the lot,... dropped a vest in a the base east of vybor.. restart came and gone... vest and still no gear.

so give it a week maybe a few days at the least and there will be nothing anywere or someone elses left overs.

fix the major part of this game (PERSISTENCE) instead of releasing junk after junk...

I really hope my next couple hours of gaming in exp show me a cop car or mi crash site that isn't in the ground.. will screen shot etc if do..

Edited by Renigade
  • Like 5

With the new energy management system this build is discouraging repetitive loot-runs in the well know places this community loves. That's good: I was tired of seeing (and reading) of the copycat lootig sprees in the military bases and such. I'm not sure increasing calories consumption AND decreasing food spawn is a sensible choice, though. Igor-vk is right, the first minutes of each new characters are crucial: if you find decent or good loot around, you maybe live. If you don't it's an one-way ticket to death.

While I welcome an harsher approach to survival, I feel that there's something off with 0.50' solution to the "easy survival" problem in DayZ. I mean: you don't find a lot of canned goods, and that's ok. You can eat wild fruits/berries but, well, there are few and they give you few calories anyway. This, combined with the previous, is not good but still not a problem. You can still hunt, right? But in order to cook hunted animals you need:

* axe

* rags

* matches

* tree branch(es)

* tree log(s)

or

* gas stove

* gas canister

* kettle

* matches

If we consider the time (and energy) required to actually find those supplies, it's clear we need some sort of sustainment for a while. But canned foods and fruits/berries are rare...so we have a problem. Because once we find those items we need time (and energy) to find and kill the animal, and a little additional time in order to wait for meat to cook. Better avoid the topic of "fishing", because you need a tree branch, a rope, a super-rare fishing hook, a farming hoe to dig out earthworms, earthworms, a blade to gut/fillet the fish....yeah, you've got the picture. 

I suggest a "simple" drop in the spawn rate of canned food, and a backtrack to the previous calories consumption system. Or keep the actual calories consumption, and return to 0.49 food spawn rate. Or maybe let people spawn with very sturdy multitool: something that does not start degrading after two or three uses. In this way you have at least a small blade (cut/fillet venison or fishes), a can opener (open canned foods) and at least another small implement (maybe a small saw to cut off ONLY kindling from trees?).

Big thumb UP! +1!

* axe

* rags

* matches

* tree branch(es)

* tree log(s)

or

* gas stove

* gas canister

* kettle

* matches

I suggested no long ago starting with a multi-tool Swiss knife...you know.. those that have can opener, screw driver,.. and so on.

Something like this; 

d3321f4df46de816efdd800ccf82af59.jpg

• Like 1

Knifes need to be more common. As common as a book really. Every house has a knife.

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 6

- Either shorten the animation.. so it doesn't takes 5-10 minutes to find one apple.

I find the whole "searching for apples" thing ridiculous.

In real life I never had to "search for apples" while standing in front of an apple tree. I have never "not found a thing", when standing in front of an apple tree that has apples on it, and tryiong to pick one. It makes absolutely no sense. Well... maybe if you are visually impaired.

I just look at a tree from a distance and I can see whether it has apples on it or not.

I can understand that game engine wise it is not doable to generate individual apples on each tree.

BUT they could change the system that is currently in place to something like:

1) I Walk up to a tree and from a distance of 5 meters or so I get the option to "look for apples"

2) After having done that I get one of 2 messages

A: There are apples on this tree

or

B: There aren't any apples on this tree

3) If B then I proceed to another tree

If A then I have the option "pick an apple", which can either turn out fresh or rotten (rotten because sometimes the halve of the apple that you can't see is rotten or 'gnawed' on by bugs or birds. But all in all you should get way more fresh apples than rotten apples.

This would make the system much more logical and also would apply to berries or whatever which stuff they will implement with horticulture.

Edited by Dennus
  • Like 11

So I gave experimental another try last night to better results, may just be false hope though. Spawned at chernaya polana and had Rambo shooting at me from atop the fire station, joke was on him though be cause he caught the movement bug and fell to his death with a backpack full of goodies. The food and drink mechanic is still a bit off for my liking but once I got a handle on it I was good til my food ran out. Still can't find any matches for my fire to cook some deer steak but not a bad experience the 2nd time around

Notes? :P

Yes please , why are we the only two asking for these ?  Are they posted somewhere else ?

So I gave experimental another try last night to better results, may just be false hope though. Spawned at chernaya polana and had Rambo shooting at me from atop the fire station, joke was on him though be cause he caught the movement bug and fell to his death with a backpack full of goodies. The food and drink mechanic is still a bit off for my liking but once I got a handle on it I was good til my food ran out. Still can't find any matches for my fire to cook some deer steak but not a bad experience the 2nd time around

So, even if you scavenge a fully geared bandit you can´t survive?

I think that them devs need to turn som knobs and pull some levers before the experimental gets deserted by all.. right?

I spent my first day off in two weeks trying to have a funny and challenging session with my two friends... now no-one of us has enough spirit to log in until next patch to see what has improved. This sux at the moment

Edited by Gubbjeveln
  • Like 2

Yesterday I had a successful character going but someone with a Longhorn felt threatened by my back and my shotgun without ammo on my shoulder and shot me from behind. But, he bandaged me right away and got me some sticks to make a splint for my broken leg. He even gave me some food and drink so well, I guess you can get shot by a worse person. But anyway, 50% of my gear was ruined and I lost so much blood I was seeing black and white. I was never able to nurse myself back to health again and in the end died of starvation. After that character I have not been able again to keep any of 5 characters alive due to no food or clothing to be found any where. Well, the occasional banana and shirt for rags maybe but not enough to sustain myself. I hope the respawning system gets a little more generous.

Yes please , why are we the only two asking for these ?  Are they posted somewhere else ?

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2i0txm/unofficial_050_110_changelog/

Reddit is always the best place to find an unofficial changelog for the Experimental branch. I don't enjoy going there most of the time, but "you gotta do what you gotta do", ya know? ;)

fix the major part of this game (PERSISTENCE) instead of releasing junk after junk...

Earlier today I wrote a whole page about this, and the moderator boneboys commented "FIX WORK IN PROGRESS" and moved it to the graveyard.

I have yet to find out why he closed it and moved it. It's outrageous if you can't place comments like this on a board for an Alpha game.

• Like 1

I find the whole "searching for apples" thing ridiculous.

In real life I never had to "search for apples" while standing in front of an apple tree. I have never "not found a thing", when standing in front of an apple tree that has apples on it, and tryiong to pick one. It makes absolutely no sense. Well... maybe if you are visually impaired.

I just look at a tree from a distance and I can see whether it has apples on it or not.

I can understand that game engine wise it is not doable to generate individual apples on each tree.

BUT they could change the system that is currently in place to something like:

1) I Walk up to a tree and from a distance of 5 meters or so I get the option to "look for apples"

2) After having done that I get one of 2 messages

A: There are apples on this tree

or

B: There aren't any apples on this tree

3) If B then I proceed to another tree

If A then I have the option "pick an apple", which can either turn out fresh or rotten (rotten because sometimes the halve of the apple that you can't see is rotten or 'gnawed' on by bugs or birds. But all in all you should get way more fresh apples than rotten apples.

This would make the system much more logical and also would apply to berries or whatever which stuff they will implement with horticulture.

I can't agree enough with this.