Rags!

Third Person View should be Over-the-Shoulder, NOT a bird's eye view.

Do you think the Third Person Camera Should be Changed?  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Third Person Camera should be changed?

• No, it is fine as is and shouldn't be changed.
    • Yes, it should be changed to a closer over-the-shoulder view.
    • Yes, but in some other way.
    • There should be no Third Person option in DayZ.

So are you saying that Dean should have given us no choice and not catered to different preferences, while Bohemia should just have one server and all the players online at one time should be only able to log in onto that one official server? 

As for being a fundamentally different experience, luckily for us the DayZ devs have not railroaded us into one view point.  They have kindly given us the opportunity to experience DayZ in 1PP and 3PP, they even went so far as to enable 1PP only servers.  

Do you have a choice on where to spawn ?

Do you have a choice of who to spawn with ? Do you have a choice of what loot spawns in front of you ?

Dayz is not about choices its about playing within a sandbox, being able to see around and over corners is not a choice. It is a crutch.

• Like 2

Do you have a choice of who to spawn with ? Do you have a choice of what loot spawns in front of you ?

Dayz is not about choices its about playing within a sandbox, being able to see around and over corners is not a choice. It is a crutch.

I truly hate 3pp. but all my friends don't :( Being able to see around corners just ruins pvp in general. The reason it's a problem is that 90% of the player base uses this mode, so I can play 1pp on the 3 servers with people on it, or join any of the 100's of 3pp servers. It's lame, but I doubt they will remove it now.

Can't wait to become a farmer and build a small house with a rocking chair. I'll be the guy sitting on the porch smoking whatever I grow holding my shotgun.

Also, tandem bikes please.

Well actually it is a choice because you can use 3pp in it's current, arguably perfect manner, without peeking around doors.

You can also choose to use 1pp or 3pp.

So you really just correlated two things together, like trying to mash those wooden squares into a circular hole...

Not to get too off topic but your post reminds of prohibitionist mentality.  Don't understand it, don't enjoy it?  Don't use it myself?  Get rid of it.

• Like 2

Because of that you have the choice how to play. Go play on a hardcore server. And if there are not enough HC servers or not enough players on HC servers... then you know you are part of the minority. Deal with it.

I would understand that you try to force the other players to play the way you prefer if there would be no choice and no special servers. But the way it is... i don't really understand it. Live and let live.

Edited by dirrly

What does spawning and loot have to do with a particular view point?  

DayZ is very much about the choices you make within a sandbox arena.  You can choose to pick up that weapon, you can choose to pull the trigger, you can choose to use 1PP view only...  heck, they catered for people just like you, by giving you your very own 1PP locked servers.  What more do you want?

Unfortunately for you, the majority of DayZ players prefer 3PP servers.

• Like 1

What does spawning and loot have to do with a particular view point?  

DayZ is very much about the choices you make within a sandbox arena.  You can choose to pick up that weapon, you can choose to pull the trigger, you can choose to use 1PP view only...  heck, they catered for people just like you, by giving you your very own 1PP locked servers.  What more do you want?

Unfortunately for you, the majority of DayZ players prefer 3PP servers.

It is a choice.

All I am saying is just because people want to keep something does not mean it will stay in its current state.

If there was one facet of dayz that should be priority #1 with needing to be changed due to how bad it is for gameplay it is third person view.

What the majority want also has no value here, the majority would also want to spawn with a gun but that aint happening.

• Like 2

Probably the only thing about 3pp that should be looked into is the ability to "peak" over walls and around corners.  If they can add some light weight code to handle that one problem, great otherwise it is not really that big a deal. 

What the majority want also has no value here...

But maybe for the devs... i hope so. :-)

Probably the only thing about 3pp that should be looked into is the ability to "peak" over walls and around corners.  If they can add some light weight code to handle that one problem, great otherwise it is not really that big a deal. 

That is honestly the only problem with it.

If you enjoy looking at your character or traveling in 3pp thats great nobody is against that.

What people hate is how 3pp wall peeking ruins any player interaction and pvp. How pvp turns into watching each other through cover and then waiting for one of you to slip up.

Stealth, flanking, ambushes are all ruined due to this.

I think a 3pp shoulder cam would be great if it was like APB. So long as there was a key bind to quick switch your shoulders for whatever situation you're in. Then again I am a huge Fallout player so I feel right at home with shoulder cams. Either way is fine though. I'm a 1st person kinda guy.

I'd like to see a system that occludes items and players that the player cannot see in first person mode. This prevents wall peeking while allowing the sacred "I want to be able to see my character when I run" which seems to be the only viable reason to have 3pp.

Seems to provide the best of both worlds.

I play mostly on 1pp but I think 3pp is fine the way it is

when I play on a third person server I feel like I am cheating when 'peek' around or over walls  B) 

I'd like to see a system that occludes items and players that the player cannot see in first person mode. This prevents wall peeking while allowing the sacred "I want to be able to see my character when I run" which seems to be the only viable reason to have 3pp.

Seems to provide the best of both worlds.

That still seems like the best solution .

4th wall style mod + camera repositioning so that pop in of characters is far far less obvious than it would be if the camera position remained 20 meters above your head.

@gibonez

I am getting bored with your "4th wall" mention in every single thread about 3pv. :P

IT WILL NEVER GET IMPLEMENTED! DEAN WITH IT!

Edited by belphegor_goatzombie

@gibonez

I am getting bored with your "4th wall" mention in every single thread about 3pv. :P

IT WILL NEVER GET IMPLEMENTED! DEAN WITH IT!

Of course not the mod wont.

The feature being built in to the engine is a high possibility however.

Especially since this feature has high demand not only from Dayz players but Arma players.

• Like 1

That still seems like the best solution .

4th wall style mod + camera repositioning so that pop in of characters is far far less obvious than it would be if the camera position remained 20 meters above your head.

I would be fine with what that mod did provided it was some how controlled and enforced server side, otherwise hackers would just write something to work around it.   That and it needs to be done in a way that doesn't have a measurable impact upon game performance.

I would be fine with what that mod did provided it was some how controlled and enforced server side, otherwise hackers would just write something to work around it.   That and it needs to be done in a way that doesn't have a measurable impact upon game performance.

It should have a positive effect on performance in theory since it would not render the players you can't see thus giving you some extra frames.

I think the most important thing to remember about such a mod is that alone it would work but the pop in will be jarring.

Moving the camera position lower so you can't really see over cover + 4th wall style mod from within the engine = best solution.

so you'd be shot by ghosts?

No if you can't see them they cant see you either.

So you would not get shot period. Unless they see you and of course you can then also see them if you have eye contact with them.

Third person view is the only thing I hate about this game, and I hate people using it too because it gives them advantage viewing above their head.Everything is so hardcore and realistic and I really love the game but third person view ruins everything.There is a reason why succesful  games that go for that feeling of immersion like half life and crysis series only have first person view.

What do you guys think?

post-222005-0-47270500-1415999409_thumb.

Good thing we have first person servers. On stable at least... I would like it if they fixed the peeking so it would not mess up the gameplay on 3rd person servers as much as it currently does but right now its better simply to avoid those.

Another thing I am concerned about is the third person option hampering the implementation/development of some vison related things like helmets changing/obstructing your vision or more realistic bullet penetration (which can be really nasty combined with peeking).

Other than that if people really want to play third person let them but also provide a better experience for people who do care.

Edited by Evil Minion

each to their own, but I like to play both... In the main I play 3rd person but I do play 1st person only servers too, sadly though when vehicles become mainstream I can see 1st person servers getting less players because let's face it, driving in 1st person sucks big time, especially as it can be so easy to run over a rock or something

Long discussed problem since the days of operation flashpoint.

Real problem lies with it rendering players your player can't see.

Don't render players you can't see and boom problem fixed

Third person view is the only thing I hate about this game, and I hate people using it too because it gives them advantage viewing above their head.Everything is so hardcore and realistic and I really love the game but third person view ruins everything.There is a reason why succesful  games that go for that feeling of immersion like half life and crysis series only have first person view.

What do you guys think?

Hello there

As others have pointed out this has been covered in depth and we even have a megathread somewhere around, Ill find it and merge this.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1