Rags!

Third Person View should be Over-the-Shoulder, NOT a bird's eye view.

Do you think the Third Person Camera Should be Changed?  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Third Person Camera should be changed?

• No, it is fine as is and shouldn't be changed.
    • Yes, it should be changed to a closer over-the-shoulder view.
    • Yes, but in some other way.
    • There should be no Third Person option in DayZ.

Its really sad that people respond to

"I want third person servers to have the same basic gameplay as first person server because its more authentic and enjoyable."

or

"I want the choice of perspective to be a matter of preference without having massive benefits attached to one."

with

"You are a filthy elitist - go back to your first person server and stay there!".

Why do people want to shut down any attempt to improve the gameplay on third person servers as well or make them compatible with first person? Really guys if you do like the peeking gameplay do not hide behind "not forcing players into a specific perspective" because thats exactly the opposite of what this is about.

This is the problem. It's no good saying "if you don't like 3pp then just don't play it" if there are no 1pp servers to play on. People play 3pp because it's easier. They can peek around walls without any risk to themselves, shoot and then run.

Why do you think the "INCREASED LOOT SPAWN, 24/7 DAY" servers are so popular? 

DayZ, even Arma, should never have had a 3pp mode. It has no place in a milsim and it has no place in a survival game. I understand why people defend it, and when I play 1pp I sometimes wish I could see my character; but when given the choice between maybe having my gun poking out of a bush and being able to see round walls through a disembodied perspective, I'd rather go with the former. 

I'd have no problem with 3pp if it couldn't be used to peek round walls. Hell, I'd play it more myself. For now, as far as I'm concerned, it's an exploit that I'd prefer not to use.

Exactly.  A lot of people are basically being pushed to play on 3pp because that is where the population is, at least for me because I play only on high populated servers.  There are those who just enjoy the game for the(lack of)survival and can easily join a 1-10 man 1pp server.

No one is trying to tell people who play 3pp to play 1pp, get this through your head.  The issue is the terrible wall peeking mechanic.  Understand yet?

Well then play on 1pp servers then. Your talking to someone who has played this game both 1pp only and 1pp/3pp servers....There really is not that much of a difference between the 2. That peeking expliot will only help so much against someone like me, and its not broken. They have had that view in OFP series, Arma series for years now, people seem to like it. Theres nothing new about it or broken about 3pp. Its really just a pref thats all it is! Infact this issue on the forums is pretty out of control..way to much hype. Creating BS issues! Its really a none issue. Theres a clear choice..You don't like 3pp, then play on 1pp only servers. Not enough 1pp only servers, the create more of them and put out the money, just like the people who made all the 3pp/1pp servers did. Simple. Stop fighting about it, take charge, form groups and create servers. Its win win win for everyone!

Edited by CJFlint

There is a big misconception about "third person = peeking". Thats not the case. Its like saying "public hive player = server hopper".

Well then play on 1pp servers then. Your talking to someone who has played this game both 1pp only and 1pp/3pp servers....There really is not that much of a difference between the 2. That peeking expliot will only help so much agaisnt someone like me. Infact this issue on the forums is pretty out of control..way to much hype. Its really a none issue. Theres a clear choice..You don't like 3pp, then play on 1pp only servers. Not enough 1pp only servers, the create more of them and put out the money, just like the people who made all the 3pp/1pp servers did. Simple. Stop fighting about it, take charge, form groups and create servers. Its win win win for everyone!

Are you listening? "I" do not want to rent a server.  "I" do not want to have to maintain and pay attention to a server.  "I" play with friends who play 3pp.

Are you listening? "I" do not want to rent a server.  "I" do not want to have to maintain and pay attention to a server.  "I" play with friends who play 3pp.

Well to bad for you then!  Beaucse ALL those 3pp / 1pp servers you see...PEOPLE PAID FOR THEM. You sound like your trying to inject your play style onto others the majority who enjoy 3pp, who put the effort to put the servers up. Just becuase you dont want to take the effort to make your own servers form  groups your self....Sounds really lame to me man. Not even atempting to solve anything.

Edited by CJFlint

Well to bad for you then! You sound like your trying to inject your play style onto others the majoriy who enjoy 3pp, just becuase you dont want to take the effort to make your own servers form  groups your self....Sounds really lame to me man.

Are you daft?  I do not want 3pp removed, I want the wall peeking removed.  I am not forcing anyone to play my playstyle.

Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 2

Are you daft?  I do not want 3pp removed, I want the wall peeking removed.  I am not forcing anyone to play my playstyle.

That 3pp view has been around for years and many loved it, like since 2001 OFP series and ARMA series. No one really complained about it til now, well not like this anyways. Becuase every knew there was a choice. Simple really....Now suddenly its a big problem lol....Its totally over blown issue here on this forum alone. Really all it is there not enough 1pp servers and no one seems to want to create any.

I'm done debating about it serously anymore.....its going to go no where. There really isn't an issue other then folks need to create more 1pp servers.

Edited by CJFlint

That 3pp view has been around for years and many loved it, like since 2001 OFP series and ARMA series. No one really complained about it til now, well not like this anyways. Becuase every knew there was a choice. Simple really....Now suddenly its a big problem lol....Its totally over blown issue here on this forum alone. Really all it is there not enough 1pp servers and no one seems to want to create any.

I'm done debating about it serously anymore.....its going to go no where. There really isn't an issue other then folks need to create more 1pp servers.

No one complained about it until now because no one cares if you wall peek the AI. The majority of OpFlash and ArmA servers were cooperative mission servers. The number of competitive PvP servers were very few, and of those few, even fewer allowed 3PP. This is the first time in BI history that a competitive PvP game mode has reached such popularity and allows a 3PP. Thus the ongoing discussion...

There really isn't an issue other then folks need to create more 1pp servers.

First person servers are forcing players to play in first person mode just as peeking forces players to play in third person mode. This forcing is the issue and thats why First/Third Person servers without peeking would be the best option for most players. Currently both options are limiting players which is completely unnecessary.

If I had to choose between playing on a first person server and on a server allowing both first and third person as equally viable choices I would always pick the latter.

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 1

This is the problem. It's no good saying "if you don't like 3pp then just don't play it" if there are no 1pp servers to play on. People play 3pp because it's easier. They can peek around walls without any risk to themselves, shoot and then run.

Why do you think the "INCREASED LOOT SPAWN, 24/7 DAY" servers are so popular? 

DayZ, even Arma, should never have had a 3pp mode. It has no place in a milsim and it has no place in a survival game. I understand why people defend it, and when I play 1pp I sometimes wish I could see my character; but when given the choice between maybe having my gun poking out of a bush and being able to see round walls through a disembodied perspective, I'd rather go with the former. 

I'd have no problem with 3pp if it couldn't be used to peek round walls. Hell, I'd play it more myself. For now, as far as I'm concerned, it's an exploit that I'd prefer not to use.

First person servers are forcing players to play in first person mode just as peeking forces players to play in third person mode. This forcing is the issue and thats why First/Third Person servers without peeking would be the best option for most players. Currently both options are limiting players which is completely unnecessary.

If I had to choose between playing on a first person server and on a server allowing both first and third person as equally viable choices I would always pick the latter.

The reality is its only an expliot if its in tight close quarters, maybe med range. For me it dosn't effect me as much, becuase I lisen for audio ques as well. But far worst was the seeing through walls thing or bug. I think that what made this into such a over blown big issue on the forums. It really was a problem and still is in some cases, which amplified this issue a great deal. Maybe they should correct that, also if your against a wall, you cant look over it...many games do not allot you to look over walls or around walls. It simply zooms in when your close to a wall, so you cant look over it or around it. Thats sounds much more reasonable to me, then over the shoulder all the time. I would be just fine with that.

So simply have it so when you inside or against a wall it zooms in enough so you can't peek around corners. Thats it. Is everyone happy now...I am :beans:

Edited by CJFlint

That 3pp view has been around for years and many loved it, like since 2001 OFP series and ARMA series. No one really complained about it til now, well not like this anyways. Becuase every knew there was a choice. Simple really....Now suddenly its a big problem lol....Its totally over blown issue here on this forum alone. Really all it is there not enough 1pp servers and no one seems to want to create any.

Wtf are you taking about the arma community has been complaining about it since the beginning especially the mil SIM clans.

It's a problem and it deserves a fix

• Like 1

Wtf are you taking about the arma community has been complaining about it since the beginning especially the mil SIM clans.

It's a problem and it deserves a fix

1st off dont come at with this rude "WTF" crap. You wanna talk to me show some respect....son. Well tell me why they havn't fixed it yet? Almost 15 years since the 1st OFP, how come the havn't fixed it? Because your in the minority thats why, most like it the way it is. I don't remember people ever complaining about it like they do on here. And you didn't even read my post on how to fix it right up above. To have it simply zoom in when your close to a wall so ya can't look ever it. If they would just do that it would give you "Hardcore" LOL nothing left to bitch about. I hope they do fix it so it does zoom in and you can't look around walls. Then the rest will be up to you. The rest is just lack of 1pp servers, which is more of a comunity problem. Becuase it really is up to us players to put those servers up....hate to break it to you.

Edited by CJFlint

OMG yes!

It should be over the shoulder- It would eliminate the exploit of looking around corners which is why so many more mmo shooters are using it now- you can have vanity mode but in order to equalize and create a more claustrophobic enviornment- MOVE THE CAMERA CLOSER

you won't be able to see around corners without exposing yourself like you can now and it also will create a more visceral experience since you will be closer to your character and the action free of exploits with blindspots as you normally would in real life or in first person

gawd I hope the devs change the camera

You know I read through some of the posts on here, read through some of the debates, and really think there are 2 things wrong with 3pp. Honestly I think are blown WAY out of size too. I don't seem to ever run into problems becuase of this.

1) Theres still the seeing through walls expliot in some cases. This needs to be fixed even more. I havnt seen it in a while but I have heard other playes run into it.

2) Players are able to look over and around walls, this can be fixed just by having the 3pp zoom in close when you get close to a wall. Simple, many games have that. No need for the over the shoulder view. That idea is completly lame, would never support it. The problem can be solved in much better ways. I really think the majority of players who play this game would not want to be stuck in close up over the sholder veiw either.

From my point of view. I think even those 2 problems I listed should be low on the list of what I think needs to be corrected or fixed with the stand alone.

Edited by CJFlint

1st off dont come at with this rude "WTF" crap. You wanna talk to me show some respect....son. Well tell me why they havn't fixed it yet? Almost 15 years since the 1st OFP, how come the havn't fixed it? Because your in the minority thats why, most like it the way it is. I don't remember people ever complaining about it like they do on here. And you didn't even read my post on how to fix it right up above. To have it simply zoom in when your close to a wall so ya can't look ever it. If they would just do that it would give you "Hardcore" LOL nothing left to bitch about. I hope they do fix it so it does zoom in and you can't look around walls. Then the rest will be up to you. The rest is just lack of 1pp servers, which is more of a comunity problem. Becuase it really is up to us players to put those servers up....hate to break it to you.

Why has it not been fixed? I would guess it's because they work slow.

A feature asked for since 2001 was just added 2 weeks ago . Another feature that had been asked for close to 10 years has yet to be added too hopefully bipods get added soon.

It's a technical mistake it's no different than the fov slider affecting the weapon zoom.

It's a problems they have to address. There are any number of things they can do to fix it and they have addressed the desire to change the camera to fix this issue in the past.

All there is to do now is wait and see what they come out with.

• Like 1

Why has it not been fixed? I would guess it's because they work slow.

A feature asked for since 2001 was just added 2 weeks ago . Another feature that had been asked for close to 10 years has yet to be added too hopefully bipods get added soon.

It's a technical mistake it's no different than the fov slider affecting the weapon zoom.

It's a problems they have to address. There are any number of things they can do to fix it and they have addressed the desire to change the camera to fix this issue in the past.

All there is to do now is wait and see what they come out with.

Ok well. The best bet is to just add a zoom feature in in 3rd person when you get close to a wall or larger object, were this expliot takes place? Could you agree to that. I could.

But I'm really not sure I like the whole over the shoulder view thing, that seems like it would create a host of new issues, including player prob would not like it. It seems like fixing something by breaking another. I say only restrict vis were the expliots take place, like when your close to walls. So you cant look over them, or around them, by zooming in. This isn't even a new idea, infact many other games have that sort of thing. The orginal post sounded like he just wants ALL 3rd person to be restricted which is lame. At that point, it may as well just be a 1st person shooter. This goes against the grain of all OFP, ARMA and everything that came out of those engines. I really don't want that in dayz. If I feel like 1pp, I log into a 1pp server period. If I want 3pp, then I will log into a 3pp, were it is 3pp, not watered down 3pp. I like the to have options, not dumb limits added.

So were not totally not disagreeing. Infact I do think there is a problem, its more of the solution that I dont agree with people on here. Infact I can understand why SOME 1pp get frustrated, theres really not allot of servers to chose from. Thats not the devs problem though thats something that the comunity needs to figure out.

Infact most people on this thread said that it wasn't the view it self, it was more of the expliots that bothered them. Well theres a better way to correct it.

Edited by CJFlint

Ok well. The best bet is to just add a zoom feature in in 3rd person when you get close to a wall or larger object, were this expliot takes place? Could you agree to that. I could.

But I'm really not sure I like the whole over the shoulder view thing, that seems like it would create a host of new issues, including player probs would not like it. It seems like fixing something by breaking another. Only restrict vis were the expliots take place, like when your close to walls. So you cant look over them. The orginal post sounded like he just wants ALL 3rd person to be restricted which is lame. At that point, it may as well just be a 1st person shooter.

So were not totally not disagreeing.

I agree

Easiest fix would be a dynamic camera.

When close to and object the camera zooms super close to your player.

When crouched it lowers to your waist

When prone the camera lowers to your feet

This would make it impossible to use the camera in third person view to see over cover and through walls

• Like 2

I agree

Easiest fix would be a dynamic camera.

When close to and object the camera zooms super close to your player.

When crouched it lowers to your waist

When prone the camera lowers to your feet

This would make it impossible to use the camera in third person view to see over cover and through walls

I guess that what its called a dynamic camera! Yes exactly like that!

This is what would correct much of this, and keep everyone happy in regard to this debate. This would cut down a great deal on anykind of expliots the are in game and preserve 3pp.

There also still is some places were viewing through walls is still posible, they should iron that out too.

Edited by CJFlint

does counter strike have third person? nope
does real life have third person? nope
does day z need third person? nope

• Like 1

Arma's 3rd person view has been a point of contention for a long, long time, personally I find the way it works, not the fact that it exists to be the problem, yes there should be 3rd person, but it shouldn't enable players to peak around obstacles unfairly.

Third person helps me deal with my low FPS. Only use First for fighting and using actions. I like it the way it is, and there are more important things to worry about, like the screwed up loot spawns.

That's just my opinion.

does day z need third person? nope

It does not need but it may have as people seem to like it. All that is required is to avoid peeking around corners or over walls while staying invisible yourself as this is unhealthy for gameplay.

It does not need but it may have as people seem to like it. All that is required is to avoid peeking around corners or over walls while staying invisible yourself as this is unhealthy for gameplay.

Exactly yet one specific individual in this thread keeps saying that we're trying to get rid of it.  

The true hardcore mode is playing first person only on a third person server

Edited by Caboose187