Sign in to follow this  
Act III

Once DayZ is complete; Will it require studying?

By studying, I mean:

Will one need to read through the Wiki page? Or will every mechanic be intuitive?

I love the progress that has been made on DayZ so far, and some of the upcoming features (such as gardening) look fantastic! I am just concerned whether or not I will be missing out/unaware of many of the game's features if I were to not play until beta/full release.

What do you guys think?

I think it would be great if a new player can pick up the game, explore and do shit intuitively.

Probably, things will be updated as things go along, I still barely know how to throw items and that was a couple patches ago.

i mean

u have to study to figure out things in life

and if this game is going to be as realistic as some people want it to be, then maybe

i would hope not tho

I hope that this game always requires a bit of studying and experimenting.

• Like 6

They could put some books in the game that explain certain things. Like a small and basic survival guide. Would make the books more important and useful.

Other things people would have to find out by themselves or look up online.

• Like 3

Why dont they make a game old school style? No tutorials. No guides. Keep trying and using your intelect.

THE BEST THING IS YOU NEVER KNOW IF THERE IS MORE TO DISCOVER!!!

• Like 4

I think it would be great if a new player can pick up the game, explore and do shit intuitively.

I think thats the best way to put it. The game should not require offgame studying but ingame experimentation at least for the core mechanics. So you can pick up the game, start exploring and figure out the basics by yourself as they are intuitive and realistic (nobody has to tell you that you can chop wood with an axe or that water will make you wet). More complex and involved mechanics (how do I get this heli to work) should require some time or help to figure out

• Like 1

I hope we don't need to "study" but a big improvement in the difficultly would be nice. If you are some what intelligent and learn at a regular pace then anyone can pick up this game and know roughly whats going in about 2 hours, It basically needs a much, much steeper learning curve for new players.

• Like 1

Depth and complexity is always good.

Having some aspects of the game take lots of practice and outside research would be a welcomed addition. While the menus , inventory and basic functions must be intutitive.

Complicated aspects such as long range shooting, explosive making and or deployment, indirect fire, vehicle repair and maintenance must not be as easy as pick up and play.

They should require experience, practice and outside study.

Having to study to learn and master some aspects of the game is a bonus not a negative. It would mean the game is full of depth and rich gameplay opportunities.

• Like 2

I think the hunger/thirst system is a good example of how it should work:

• If you are new to the game you will intuitively fight hunger by eating and thirst by drinking while avoiding things like rotten food or chemicals. This keeps you alive and is fine for the start.
  • After having some experience or help you figure out that by not only fighting hunger and thirst but receiving an engergized/hydrated status you will gain passive regneration which improves your chance of survival. However this effect is a reward - if you just don't care you won't get it.

This helps people getting the "oh thats how it works" moment which fels much better than just getting everything for free.

To be perfectly fair - I don't see what could ever need studying. The game won't ever be that complex - since it's not necessary. Take a look at what it is that people are studying in the world and try to apply that to the game. Some fields are just not applicable to the game. Medicine and anatomy being one field and it won't be applicable because as far as I know our characters does not have internal organs, our characters are not built from amino acids and proteins nor do we contain biological compounds that react with one another. Morphine fixing a broken leg - that pretty much sums up the medical system in DayZ.

Electronics then? Well everyone can solder, really. It's not complex and it's not difficult - it might be messy the first couple of times but that's about it. And besides, there's no such thing in the game yet and I doubt it ever will be. Welding? Can be difficult sure, but the difficulties can not be applied in the game because you'd have to invent a whole new system for load bearing, tear over time and welding joints - highly doubtful that they will and if they would I highly doubt that it would be even remotely accurate. Vehicle repair comes down to diagnostics and having the right repair tool, spares and sometimes you might need to weld or solder. But I doubt that it will be even that 'complex' in the game.

Could pretty much continue with every single field there is in the world - metallurgy, geology, chemistry and so on and so forth.

What we will have are things like: attach battery to flashlight, tear your shirt into bandages, drag and drop. I mean, sure some people did not manage to figure out that a flashlight most likely requires batteries to function and as such they weren't able to turn it on.  I think that all things will be intuitive such as creating rags or splints and things like that. Repairing a vehicle will probably just mean replacing faulty parts with a non-faulty part, maybe the need to have a spanner in your hands while doing so much like you need to have a knife with skinning. But that's about it really  - drag and drop that's all there's going to be.

Edited by LeChat

Depth and complexity is always good.

Having some aspects of the game take lots of practice and outside research would be a welcomed addition. While the menus , inventory and basic functions must be intutitive.

Complicated aspects such as long range shooting, explosive making and or deployment, indirect fire, vehicle repair and maintenance must not be as easy as pick up and play.

They should require experience, practice and outside study.

Having to study to learn and master some aspects of the game is a bonus not a negative. It would mean the game is full of depth and rich gameplay opportunities.

I don't think "outside study" is ever good, really. DayZ can easily get around this by using in-game features such as books to teach players about the more complicated aspects of crafting. All the rest should be intuitive and easily figurable-out by common sense. That's where the "authenticity" comes in: the more true-to-life the game mechanics are, the more easily people can put their real-world experience and knowledge into playing without having to study some website or youtube guide.

I am slightly concerned at the moment that things like making fishing equipment and arrows is not very obvious - why can't I sharpen sticks with an axe, for example? And why do I need a particular type of stick to make a fishing rod? How would I ever figure out by myself that only one type of tree (Ash) gives this unique wonder-stick, except by pure accident? Basic crafting needs to be a bit more intuitive than it currently is, I think.

With many complex games you must study if you want to be good at them... if it's something like an in-depth loot and sniping guide, okay, if it's something like "how do I feed myself" then it's a problem.

With many complex games you must study if you want to be good at them... if it's something like an in-depth loot and sniping guide, okay, if it's something like "how do I feed myself" then it's a problem.

You read out-of-game guides and walkthroughs as a short-cut, or if you can't be bothered learning by playing. No in-game task should ever be too complicated that you can't figure it out by experimentation and practice by simply playing. Or it's a flaw in the game.

By studying, I mean:

Will one need to read through the Wiki page? Or will every mechanic be intuitive?

I love the progress that has been made on DayZ so far, and some of the upcoming features (such as gardening) look fantastic! I am just concerned whether or not I will be missing out/unaware of many of the game's features if I were to not play until beta/full release.

What do you guys think?

you will have to go to school and get at least and associate degree in DayZology.

Figure it out, I say! Progression in this game isn't gear, instead, the knowledge that you accumulate by playing it.

Everything is intuitive, depending on your level of intelligence and diligence.

This: Think minecraft. No instructions, but it's all logical.

Now that I think about it, was trying ot make an improvised backpack.  I'm pretty sure cow hides are broken at the moment, but some crafting options would require imagination, browsing of wiki or patch notes to really understand.

Everyone should be reading the patch notes too.  This isn't as in-depth on the tweaking side as say, WoW or certain competitive shooters, but knowing how your game is changing from version to version is important.

Still believe it should mostly be trial and error, but then elements like player interaction, tactics and behavior are mainly intuitive.

There is a game called Mortal Online that has a very complex crafting system...the whole game is pretty complex. What makes the crafting system complex is that u can make alot of different combinations from different materials and some other parameters.

The problem with the system is that its only complex and not fun. Its has no logical basis. On a superficial level there is logical sense to it, like combine a handle with a axehead to make a axe....but to make the best weapons or armor u just need to learn that some combinations are better than others. There is no patteren or logical sense to it. And that makes it boring.

So im not always pleased when a gameplay system is complex...more over id rather have a simple system but diverse, comprehensive and intuitive/logical at the same time. Complex isnt necessarily good.

This: Think minecraft. No instructions, but it's all logical.

Exactly!

I think that with anything, you should be able to at least get started and "function" as a player. To be truly good at the game, you'll need to invest time into learning either through experience or study (or both). If you want an advantage over me in the game, you better be prepared to match my commitment -- that's all I'm really saying :)

For arma I printed out keyboard layout templates and then wrote what the keys did. I did the same with dayz but thankfully there's a lot less keys so I never really used it. Still use the arma one!

The key bindings menu could do with a clearout though.

One has to ask themselves.

Do you wan't dayz to be a simple and easy game or do they want depth and complexity in dayz.

Would you like the regular easy mode sniping in dayz or would you like this ?

One makes it so a 12 year can headshot you within seconds of seeing you from 1400m.

The other requires you use your past game experience and real world knowledge some simple math skills to set up dope for your rifle.