boneboys

DayZ SA Security Leak.

I can't remember how huge of a setback it was for valve when a hacker stole the source code for Half-Life 2.

I recall that, as i had been watching, anxiously awaiting that game. If i remember correctly it may have pushed back release a few months, but even that is unclear as Valve didnt give release dates until they knew the game was ready, always stating "when its done". HalfLife2 isnt DayZ, but the HL2 engine (included in the source code), also called Source, has been used for several very popular games, most of which have had huge online followings, some still to this day--L4D, TeamFortress2, L4D2, Portal1&2, CounterStrike (Source&GO)--so no lasting effects i'm aware of...

Now take BI, and their engine, with which they are intimately familiar, and the fact that DayZ will not be "released" for quite some time, and I dont think there will be any real issues. the difference, i suppose, is that DayZ is available as an alpha, so hacking/scripts could increase and there will probably be more readily available private server files, but without there having been any user info compromised, i will save my panic for when/if there is something to panic about....i dont see the sky falling just yet.

• Like 4

The DayZ source code was stolen,

The responsible for this is the same who stole Warzsource code.

And now? 

What will be if this guy decides to spread it all over the internet? 

Right now, anyone can create a server.

Server files can be downloaded and anyone can create servers and play with friends.

Pirate Servers will soon be online everywhere. 

With open source code, millions of hackers will make the hacker party and in a few months ... 

Dayz will die like Warz

For now, we can be reassured as responsible for that says it will not spread the source code to anyone.

WHAT NOW DEAN HALL?

MONEY BACK IF THIS GAME DIE?

8Vdm4.png

8Vdqx.png

8VdwZ.jpg

Edited by EduardoMaia

It's so early alpha that by the time the game is done the current source will probably be irrelevant.

I hope the guy gets seriously ripped-off by someone who doesn't like the 'dictatorship' of him keeping his money and posessions to himself.

Even so, this source hack will not be such a big deal considering the fact that it's so early on into the game. Also, I know people are flipping **it over hacks now being worse now....actually they won't. Because no matter what you cannot do any scripting or modifying of files and then expect to go into servers wrecking havoc, due to the fact that 1. Scripting is permanently disabled 2. Modified files cannot connect to servers that are untouched. As long as they release a small change to the patch and servers the people with the modified code cannot get in.

You don't seem to understand. With the source code, they can re-enable scripting if they wanted to. Basically they can do whatever they want, and "file checks" won't stop them.

It's so early alpha that by the time the game is done the current source will probably be irrelevant.

"Alpha". You forget that this game is based on an 18 year old engine. You can still run scripts from Operation Flashpoint in ArmA3. This engine has changed remarkably little over the years if you ignore new models and upgraded graphics...

"Alpha". You forget that this game is based on an 18 year old engine. You can still run scripts from Operation Flashpoint in ArmA3. This engine has changed remarkably little over the years if you ignore new models and upgraded graphics...

Keep in mind they're modifying the engine itself for a number of reasons. Thus although there's some truth in what you say, it's more as I said - by the time DayZ SA is in full release the leaked source will likely be irrelevant.

You don't seem to understand. With the source code, they can re-enable scripting if they wanted to. Basically they can do whatever they want, and "file checks" won't stop them.

And your completely right. I have forgotten about that. Welp, at least there not complete scumbags who are gonna release the source code. o.o

Are you joking? I doubt they are responsible.

Oh god! Yes I am joking.. Hence the "lol" at the end of the post.

• Like 1

Oh god! Yes I am joking.. Hence the "lol" at the end of the post.

Just making sure lol.

The DayZ source code was stolen,
The responsible for this is the same who stole Warzsource code.
And now? 
What will be if this guy decides to spread it all over the internet? 
Right now, anyone can create a server.
Server files can be downloaded and anyone can create servers and play with friends.
Pirate Servers will soon be online everywhere. 
With open source code, millions of hackers will make the hacker party and in a few months ... 
Dayz will die like Warz

For now, we can be reassured as responsible for that says it will not spread the source code to anyone.

WHAT NOW DEAN HALL?
MONEY BACK IF THIS GAME DIE?
8Vdm4.png
8Vdqx.png

8VdwZ.jpg

Fuck me, there are some retarded spoiled little brats out there.

Nah, they're half way decent people with a point.

This new model of server hosting/rental (IE: buy server space from our partners or F-off) is counter productive to a games growth and long term survivability.

EA is obviously the worse offender here, but the whole practice is ass backwards and limiting.

Power to them, even if that's a decenting opinion on here.

If Domo said he won't release the code, he won't release the code. Honor among thieves type.

Hello there

I always thought there was no honour amongst thieves?

There's a lot in the world I dont agree with but I dont breeak the law because I dont like or dont agree with something.

Its not Wiki leaks its a game. He's not fighting against humanitarian exploitation or abuse.

These are MY opinions I dont know what the Devs think or any of the mods.

I think if it suits him he will release the code. He may think he is a robin hood character. He is not.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

if you don't like something  or how something it done, you protest buy not funding it. Like when banks who invested in wars lost customers (So long ago, but it worked and things chabged). These people should just not buy the game and not rent servers (no one was forcing them) to make a point and let people that are willing to pay, pay. All they have done is make a worry/problem for all players and forced/shared their opinions with a lot of people that were happy with things.

As someone touch on before; they are the ones dictating how things should be, using actions to try and force companies to do things their way. I was not happy with EA game, guesses what i did! your right, i stopped giving them my cash lol.

These hacker have cheated all players that don't share their opinion. saddest thing is, i don't think they can see that! Think we know who are the bad guys here...

I hope BIS does take action for the theft of IP

if you don't like something  or how something it done, you protest buy not funding it. Like when banks who invested in wars lost customers (So long ago, but it worked and things chabged). These people should just not buy the game and not rent servers (no one was forcing them) to make a point and let people that are willing to pay, pay. All they have done is make a worry/problem for all players and forced/shared their opinions with a lot of people that were happy with things.

As someone touch on before; they are the ones dictating how things should be, using actions to try and force companies to do things their way. I was not happy with EA game, guesses what i did! your right, i stopped giving them my cash lol.

These hacker have cheated all players that don't share their opinion. saddest thing is, i don't think they can see that! Think we know who are the bad guys here...

I hope BIS does take action for the theft of IP

They won't take action. If they attempted to it will get publicly leaked and they'll be screwed. As far as your mentality goes it's not so simple as "don't support it if you don't like it". Unfortunately, there has been a greedy transition over the past decade with server hosting. Bending over the consumer base by charging them $60-$80 a month if they'd like to assist supporting the game by  hosting a server is an outrage, especially when you consider said game is in alpha. The sad thing is game companies are the ones forcing their consumers down these roads, and it's so rampant anymore if you decided "i'm not going to support them" you're now limiting yourself from a large selection of popular games you can support. By doing so you also won't be helping change the culture as it would require a world effort to make them see the error of their ways, and the emptiness of their pockets.

So if that's truly their reasoning for taking the source  I can understand that. In addition, this new pay to be an alpha tester culture that WarZ inadvertently started is getting out of hand.  These companies need knocked down a peg or two from their entitlement totem.
Edited by IIvIIozzie

They won't take action. If they attempted to it will get publicly leaked and they'll be screwed. As far as your mentality goes it's not so simple as "don't support it if you don't like it". Unfortunately, there has been a greedy transition over the past decade with server hosting. Bending over the consumer base by charging them $60-$80 a month if they'd like to assist supporting the game by  hosting a server is an outrage, especially when you consider said game is in alpha. The sad thing is game companies are the ones forcing their consumers down these roads, and it's so rampant anymore if you decided "i'm not going to support them" you're now limiting yourself from a large selection of popular games you can support. By doing so you also won't be helping change the culture as it would require a world effort to make them see the error of their ways, and the emptiness of their pockets.

So if that's truly their reasoning for taking the source  I can understand that. In addition, this new pay to be an alpha tester culture that WarZ inadvertently started is getting out of hand.  These companies need knocked down a peg or two from their entitlement totem.

I cant see the problem with the costs. I been paying for an SL server for 10 years, costing around 300US a month averaged out. Servers include many costs...

Management (updates and other crap they deal with)

Depreciation (Equipment loses value over it life time, its normal to charge that to customer on rentals)

Bandwidth (so add what you pay for your phat connection)

and maybe security (probably null)

and maybe future upgrades as a %

.. sadly people think... i can buy a computer and run a sever at a fraction of the cost, well yeah. just like i can build my own computer for 30% the cost of a retail. Severs are service option only at this point. when private hives are option, then maybe files will be open. But to force it in alpha cus people are fed up with all the costs.. they should just leave it!

Its a bit like a kid crying to thier mom to get the next 'play box' or 'x-station', till they give in and get it one a credit card!

Added: aslo them SL sever had a 1000US set up fee, you kids got it easy!

ALso ;

'They won't take action. If they attempted to it will get publicly leaked and they'll be screwed'

Don't be so sure, would be nice to see a hacker get what they deserve :P  awards for BIS, and respect from industry 

Rant: Kids have no Idea these days, just want want want!

And , remember, no one is forcing you to give them money for servers lol. if you don't want to but you still do, seek professional help!

Ironic: Oh now this Gucci bag cost so much and dose not represent the labor needed, im gonna buy it and then complain!

Math: when private hives, 10 friends pay for a server, like 1 US or less a month... (why you so stupid ?) and have all the rights and mod you want... as I believe its planed for private hives and mods (but not in alpha!)... Domo is a prick lol (they want it now, and stomping their feet.. that only works with mommy lol. and if i upset baby domo, i guess my account is next :P)

Sage: on thing alpha access developers will learn, make alpha access 10X retail , so they know they are paying to support and not for a game! (but if they do then they need to give out benefits, like ELITE Dangerous did)

Edited by Sooden

This "wannabe robin hood" destroyed more than he archived. And his chain of logic is non existent. It´s the same - excuse me - crap/argument that crackers use to publish their shit to play games/software without a legal key. If you agree on this server architecture or not is up to you but the decision is the decision of the developers. Some people nowadays just don´t know any more about property and that source code is a property of the developers of it. If they want to keep it they can, if they want to let people mod certain thing so be it but stealing it and try to legalise the fact of stealing after is just retarded. 

Let me steal some of your property and tell you after that it was ok because I do something "good" with it. Maybe you are doing something good with it but that doesn´t change the fact that you robbed me in the first place and that it should be my decision if I want you do to be able to do something good with it or not. 

Hello there

I always thought there was no honour amongst thieves?

There's a lot in the world I dont agree with but I dont breeak the law because I dont like or dont agree with something.

Its not Wiki leaks its a game. He's not fighting against humanitarian exploitation or abuse.

These are MY opinions I dont know what the Devs think or any of the mods.

I think if it suits him he will release the code. He may think he is a robin hood character. He is not.

Rgds

LoK

Nah, he's the same guy who hacked the War Z source code and never released it even when offered various payments from people. ($100 - $1000 USD)

(it was hacked again by novice a-holes later down the road, becuase their security was so shit and released)

He contemplated fixing the Warz then releasing it, but Domo said the code was complete garbage and not worth the mass amount of effort to try and fix/update, and that he didn't want people playing the turd of a game.

P.S. The whole "Don't break the law" thing ... well... sometimes it's needed.  I mean... Rosa Parks anyone?

I don't agree with the fact he targeted Dayz over say -- BF4 (and it's rediculously overpriced and underpreforming server rental requirments) but I haveto chalk that up to lack of security... so he did you a favor for the future there.

Edited by Nihilum

Nah, he's the same guy who hacked the War Z source code and never released it even when offered various payments from people. ($100 - $1000 USD)

(it was hacked again by novice a-holes later down the road, becuase their security was so shit and released)

He contemplated fixing the Warz then releasing it, but Domo said the code was complete garbage and not worth the mass amount of effort to try and fix/update, and that he didn't want people playing the turd of a game.

P.S. The whole "Don't break the law" thing ... well... sometimes it's needed.  I mean... Rosa Parks anyone?

I don't agree with the fact he targeted Dayz over say -- BF4 (and it's rediculously overpriced and underpreforming server rental requirments) but I haveto chalk that up to lack of security... so he did you a favor for the future there.

Hello there

Let's not compare this person to Rosa Parks. No comparison.

What this guy did was wrong. There's NO moral crusade behind it, even if he tries to claim there is.

Equating his sneak theft to that of combating Racism is daft in the extreme.

Also, he has apparently shared the code, so whats stopping someone else putting it out? It may have already happened.

No, this guy is no hero trying to save "you" cash. He's in it for the Kudos.

Dont want to pay high server prices? Dont rent a server during Alpha.

A to the fact he hacked us rather than "EA" being down to security, well I was going to rob the Swiss banks which contained stolen artifacts from WWII to return them to their rightful owners, but the security was too tight, so I mugged an old lady for her pension instead as it was easier.

Dont get me wrong, Im all for freedom fighting, I've been on Anti Fascist Marches myself, were we we assaulted by police who were "protecting" the violent skinheads from a peaceful march, in fact my family has somewhat of a history of fighting extremists.

Trust me, this chap is not a freedom fighter, please dont make the old mistake that he is some "Flynn" character fighting against Encom.

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

Let's not compare this person to Rosa Parks. No comparison.

What this guy did was wrong. There's NO moral crusade behind it, even if he tries to claim there is.

Dont get me wrong, Im all for freedom fighting, I've been on Anti Fascist Marches myself, were we we assaulted by police who were "protecting" the violent skinheads from a peaceful march, in fact my family has somewhat of a history of fighting extremists.

Rgds

LoK

Well... I think an ignorant/racist white person might have said the same thing. ;) (not at all calling you ignorant/racist, orlok <3)

The whole "you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours" method of predetermined server destributors is wrong. Flat out. It's a new trend and one that limits the longevity of a game.

Now if the server config files were sold to customers who could then use their own dedicated server -- that's different.

Maintains developer control without restricting the consumer to shoddy server providers. EA <_<

Anyway, I know domo, I know his record. He's a bit of  a grey hat, white hat and black hat blend to be honest. I still trust in his word that he wont release the files... at least for now... just don't add a cash shop ;)

Hell, I would have given him a job, considering he exposed a huge backdoor before the game released. At least mega and him agreed that the dayz source code wasn't dyslexic and autistic garbage like warz one.

Edited by Nihilum
  • Like 1

This "wannabe robin hood" destroyed more than he archived.

Maybe you are doing something good with it but that doesn´t change the fact that you robbed me in the first place and that it should be my decision if I want you do to be able to do something good with it or not. 

What exactly have he destroyed so far and how did he rob you? 

And for the last part, you should really google up "robbery" since you dont seem to know what it means, lol.