boneboys

DayZ SA Security Leak.

Hello there

Now, be aware this is all guesswork and more as an example than a reflection as to what is/has happened.

Let's assume the "game code" had no intrinsic actual cash worth itself.

Regardless, the thief has probably incurred a vast amount of costs to the company (which will need to be recouped from somewhere, remember) as knowing the thief has the source code there must have been major changes made to stop, at the very least, the most obvious of exploits that could be generated with access to the said code.

This takes away resources from active development in many quarters and most likely had to apply new resources to "sort" the issue.

Manpower, equipment, offices, bureaucracy, travel and more all has a cost and all will have been involved with dealing with this issue.

Not to mention the demotivational effect on the team.

The thief has in effect "stolen" this time and cost off the company and if "caught" could face many severe fines to cover these. That's excluding any regional/international offences.

A knock on effect could be to you, the end user, as the time taken to "sort" this particular issue may have eaten up set aside chunks of dev time/cost so we may not see certain mechanics/items included due to this.

These are all vague examples and gestures to try to show that the "hey its just 1's and 0's" argument isnt justified and that there must have been some repercussions.

To re iterate, I could well be completely wrong and the thief may have gotten access to old redundant legacy code which has little to do with the "new" engine and how it will process data, in that case, although a massive pain in the bum it could well be that its had little or  no effect. It was still a shite thing to do though.

So, there's a vague gesture to what may have happened and how it can affect us directly, IMHO that justifies the feeling "robbed" analogy.

Rgds

LoK

What's the long and short of this?

Can't say that I (as a casual player) care too much about what's happening with servers and what they cost, all I want to know is this; will we see a swathe of new 'hacks' and cheat tools ruining our gaming experience if this dude releases the source code?

Can't say that I (as a casual player) care too much about what's happening with servers and what they cost, all I want to know is this; will we see a swathe of new 'hacks' and cheat tools ruining our gaming experience if this dude releases the source code?

Hello there

Think of it this way. If someone stole your house keys what would you do?

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

I find this to be very interesting. Epically considering how full of bugs an alpha game already is.

So what is the hypothetical worst case scenario with this?

Guy reverse engineers the game and creates something different?

Or he messes with the source code and copies it back to your servers?

It has much more than what a server costs tbh..

And it has been released as well,so much for theDomo saying he wouldnt do it..

This isnt good at any cost.

Well if you have the cookie recipe, thats a lot different than having a cookie.

I'm no hacker, but what's the difference between having the source code and having the compiled code? If the real hackers can make hacks with one, who cares if they get the other? It seems to me this really isn't that big of a deal. Perhaps people will find out some things that weren't supposed to be public knowledge (features planned in the game or whatever), but I'm thinking there might not really be a "story" here.  

I noticed much the same thing as the OP.

I found a weird bug, I went to crawl under a wall near the cherno airport and my AKM completely disappeared from my back...

Was somewhat lucky in that I had actually found another AKM in a building that was still only 20m away, so went and grabbed that right away.

I crawled under the same wall with it and nothing happened. Very odd.

If you guys think the current hacking status is bad (teleporting, ESP, speedhacks, infinite ammo), then imagine what hackers could do with the source code.

Please put hackers on the VERY TOP of your priorities list.

Tents are cool and stuff, but hackers need a lot more attention...

lol ..still, the fact remains...  please come and play on my server ^^ i'll show you my point and then you can run around sharing it

Edited by idnetical

I think if you hack in games it should be treated just as badly as fraud and you should be tried in court for it , because you are literally stealing money from people by destroying a game that they bought.

just my opinion , if battleye can notice a hack and put it in a database to not let you in a sever and link it to a global system , why wont it forward the info to a database where if your mac address and other things come up too often you get a knock on the door.

games need to be secured a lot more and linked to your address when you play them , why wouldn't anyone want that anyway , its not as if we would care about the government knowing about what games you play.

most of the hackers are stealing CD keys to hack , so not only are the committing the above stated but they are also either stealing things online i.e theft or handling stolen goods.

its simple ,things you buy for say 20 bucks in shops , if you steal them or hamper anything to do with ones purchase , you can face fines or jail , why not in games?

Edited by ScottishDavie

False. You can always decompile. Code obfuscation helps make decompiled code more difficult to understand, but I've never heard of Bohemia utilizing obfuscation.

Assuming the screenshots of the source code are genuine then its C++ and you're not going to be decompiling C++ into anything that resembles the original source code.  Assembly code, yes, pseudo C code that's practically unreadable, maybe. 

Even if you could decompile into something resembling the original C++ it would take a ****ton of work to make it understandable and thus exploitable.  The original source code on the other hand is perfectly readable and comes with handy comments explaining everything, practically handing exploits to the hackers, so yes, its a huge deal if the source code is out.

Hello there

Think of it this way. If someone stole your house keys what would you do?

Rgds

LoK

Hi orlok,

Apologies I'm not following... if the source code is released, does this mean that there is further potential that hacks/cheats will increase as a result ?  - just an honest non politicians answer would be great, if you will.

Thank you.

Hi orlok,

Apologies I'm not following... if the source code is released, does this mean that there is further potential that hacks/cheats will increase as a result ?  - just an honest non politicians answer would be great, if you will.

Thank you.

As this leak is from May and even in May the code was old, there is nothing to fear. It's not more than old code that has since been changed essentially, anyway.

• Like 1

As this leak is from May and even in May the code was old, there is nothing to fear. It's not more than old code that has since been changed essentially, anyway.

If the old code is redundant, then it can't be used to create hacks with new code then i assume?

Thanks for the quick response.

If the old code is redundant, then it can't be used to create hacks with new code then i assume?

Thanks for the quick response.

A majority of the code is the same. It's being incrementally rewritten but having the original source released is never a good thing. Thankfully, the game sold loads so they can afford an almost complete rewrite but up to .48 at least it's been a hackfest imho. Last time I experienced a hacker was .48 and stable is .49 and exp is .5. Not saying they don't exist anymore but they are definitely being tacked.

I've been banned from multiple forums because I complained about hacking so I'm not just blowing smoke up bohemia's ass on this point.

Edited by freethink

Hi orlok,

Thank you.

Hello there

Kichilron speaks the truth. I would not worry unduely about the leak. Yes, its a pain in the bum but think of my usual analogy, if you have your front door key stolen you change your locks and perhaps buy an alarm system, youre not likely to go "oh well" and just carry on watching telly eating Cheetos. The same mentality applies here.

Rgds

LoK

Almost a month further than last post and still you see an exploded rate of hackers on populated servers.

I also see they said to have 'fixed' some exploits, I am not seeing any of these fixes on my play, teleporting is still wild as well as ripping your gear from afar, not to mention flying ppl throwing grenades.

Now I am not that of a whizkid on windoze but could it be that there is some main update server rk'ed and as such when any new code comes out they just download it?

What i'm trying to say here is that no matter what 'fix' gets applied it seems to me that the hackers increase in numbers every day.

Interesting times for DayZ SA, .51 was broken pretty badly and then they suddenly pushed .52 to stable (without fixing ANY of the bugs of .51) with one of the patch notes being a security fix, and then that same day some DDOS attacks occurred and have continued to disrupt the servers.

What is going on? I see at least one hacker every day now, on weekends I see 3 or 4, when I first started the game back in October it took me three weeks on the coast of full servers to ever find a single hacker. Something has changed, I wonder what caused all this.

There are some alarming new hacks out there,completely overriding control over your character.

It makes you perform random actions (eat,bandage etc) and in some instances even suicide.

It's on a whole new threat level,there are even reports of whole squads being taken out one by one.

Does the whole source-code smuggling thing got anything to do with it?

• Like 1

Hello there

In a word no.

Remember we have a superstructure full of holes at the moment. Sometimes when new features are added it can create new gaps for the hackers to slip in.

You're bound to see multiple times in development where hacking is perceived to be high.

Its on the to do list, but these things take time to do "properly"

Rgds

LoK

• Like 3

"Its on the to do list"

Shouldn't this be a priority?

I mean, shouldn't you just do one thing at a time so you can do things "properly"? 

Why is a new .22LR being added along with other stuff that should be considered an extremely low priority over security flaws, against brand damaging issues?

Hackers on experimental, expected to a degree. On the "Stable"? No. Just no. Especially on every server!? Or if I am being unreasonable, surely not to the degree where just any stupid kid can go and do it? 

I've seen the communities patience go from zero (complaining all the time) to 100 where most people that complain get shot down even by other members, but I feel now that our patience is being taken for granted.

It doesn't matter what you add to the game now, all the time that any moron can use hacks to kill you then the game is pretty much unplayable in the sense that it is impossible to survive in this survival game.

I do have a valid question though:

What consequence do the hackers face? 

Thanks,

Luke.

They face a global ban on their Steam account. Security does indeed have priority, and even though new items are being introduced into the game, that does not take time away from the part of the team that are addressing security related issues.

Thank you for replying SMoss,

When you say they face a global ban on their steam accounts, how is this happening? How are they being caught? 

When I do a Google search for these hacks I see a lot of them saying that the hacks are untraceable?

When can we realistically expect to play without having to worry about hackers teleporting to us, or our exact locations (including distance away from them) being visible to them?

Why are these hacks so readily available and easily found? 

Why are they the same hacks that have been reported for the last year or more?

Are these not the exact same hacks that were found on the mod, if so why are they still found on the SA version? 

Thank you for replying SMoss,

When you say they face a global ban on their steam accounts, how is this happening? How are they being caught? 

When I do a Google search for these hacks I see a lot of them saying that the hacks are untraceable?

When can we realistically expect to play without having to worry about hackers teleporting to us, or our exact locations (including distance away from them) being visible to them?

Why are these hacks so readily available and easily found? 

Why are they the same hacks that have been reported for the last year or more?

Are these not the exact same hacks that were found on the mod, if so why are they still found on the SA version? 

Real truth is that BH has no profit in implementing real anti hack system that will prevent hacks ingame.

Atm what they do is ban in waves from time to time, but leave hacks untouched. Why you ask? Simple most of the hackers have few copies of the game so when they get banned on one thy switch to another. They let the hackers roam free for weeks/months and when they ban them these guys thinks it's just bad luck ( since the hack is still valid and other use it without getting banned ) so they switch to another account that they bought previously or they buy a new one.  

It is all about $$$$$, when hacker has no more accounts he will buy a new one and that means profit for BH. Look at Arma, it is also full of hackers and when they ban you in one you are banned in all BH games they need to re-buy all of them on a new account ( real profit <_< ).

You will see a drop in hacker activity before price change so that they attract new players, after that it will be back to usual hacker fest until release ( if it even makes it by that time ) that again a drop to sell more copies and back to hackers fest once again.

Until they loose money due to hackers they wont bother to remove them, if hackers did cause them to loose money we would not see a singe hacker in game anymore.

Same reason why they are more involved in getting servers banned that are kicking players ( read a post here where devs ask to be in cc when contacting GSP about this issue ), BH probably gets a piece of money from GSP for server rents, if a server is banned people renting it will maybe buy a new one thus generating more profit for BH.

I know one server that kicked people few day ago ( i was on it at the time ) and did not get kicked, I came across few guys ( one was admin ) on the map and asked wtf was going on and the reason why he was kicking guys that join was cause of hacker, he saw a hacker and decided to kick all players that joined in last half hour and any new guys joining since he did not know his name. Players that did not get kicked had a nice hacker free night for the first time in a very long time. Some people use kick option to loot without competition but some use it to fight hackers since it is the only thing they have and I support them. When or better yet IF BH decides to remove hackers admins kicking players from servers wont happen, and if they do than the guy doing it is cheating and server needs to be banned, but until that day comes....that day will never come...