Vidura

Why wont people play in the night ?

Gamma exploit. Like everyone else is saying. Game looks terrible if you jack up the gamma, but you have to do it if don't want to be severely disadvantaged.

Playing daytime until using a torch doesn't make you totally gimped.

They bought this game to have an authentic survival experience right ? But even now with accelerated time I see full servers emptying out once the sun starts going down. We are given a torch in the beginning for a reason and the whole dynamics of the game changes during the night.

If only the servers all ran on the same time..................

Lights suck. That's why I don't play at night.

Edited by Leto

sometimes i just fell safer at night because i know that im not the only person having problems with seeing. even with gama settings to max sometimes its hard to see someone. 

They bought this game to have an authentic survival experience right ? But even now with accelerated time I see full servers emptying out once the sun starts going down. We are given a torch in the beginning for a reason and the whole dynamics of the game changes during the night.

If only the servers all ran on the same time..................

ill play night time servers when nvg's get added to the game, but not before then, since i dont like having to use exploits to make the game enjoyable.

I play on night time, And i see just fine without gamma exploiting. The people that don't play on night time are KOS kiddies and vagina snipers who cant see you at a safe 800m away so they log on to day server to avoid getting ganked by real players. Use your flash lights in small bursts. Play the game the way its supposed to be played. You can do just fine you get used to it.

They need to enforce night time on all servers.

Edited by Shaeg

I only play at night if the sun goes down.  I don't go into a server that starts at night because more often than not, I lose my flashlight from glitches (having to drop my backpack because the pockets don't work and then loosing EVERYTHING in it because it disappeared).  Also, the flashlight is treated as a gun and players can't effectively move around while using it.

I would play at night a LOT more if the flashlight was held over the shoulder like a normal person would, attached to something, or otherwise in some other configuration that doesn't allow the light itself to veer off the center of the screen, even while sprinting.  Otherwise, I really enjoy the atmosphere when walking around at night.

#1 reason - Gamma Exploit

#2 reason - Majority of the players can't handle actual darkness.  What other game(s) out there actually have pitch black darkness?  Hell the top 2 triple A shooters out there don't have actual night time.

#3 reason - Everyone keeps throwing away their flashlight and battery in the beginning.  Too much work to go find another light source and has no room over their ammo anyway.

#1 reason - Gamma Exploit

#2 reason - Majority of the players can't handle actual darkness.  What other game(s) out there actually have pitch black darkness?  Hell the top 2 triple A shooters out there don't have actual night time.

#3 reason - Everyone keeps throwing away their flashlight and battery in the beginning.  Too much work to go find another light source and has no room over their ammo anyway.

How I wish I could play on a full rotation server, running around with my FNX and pistol flashlight when required without being instantly slaughtered by people abusing gamma: Sadly, until something changes I can't, since the only way not to be an easy target at night is to exploit the gamma slider yourself and join the night vision brigade. ;)

It's strange, I've not seen a single carrot in DayZ and yet everyone can see perfectly in the dark! I think my grandmother lied to me.

Edited by TheScruffyBandit
  • Like 1

I wanted to enjoy night, I really did. I got a pistol light, a spare rail and weapon light for the m4 which I don't like using. A gas lamp, and played normally, come night, nothing I did could salvage it. It was too dark to see despite my monitor's brightness being extremely high and contrast being pretty decent (enough to see in even amnesia at some points others couldn't), and I blundered around looking for the full experience, trying to SURVIVE the night.

iInstead I ended up Jacking my gamma up and stumbling to a bush to log out. I had no ability to see anything but the cone in front of me, as opposed to the gradient of a real light, tried looting a tent for my spare RIS rail, just to have the entire area go dark, and only certain items light up unless I held my head just right. I constantly found myself ready to bang my head on the keyboard as zombies charged from 20 kilometers to meet me, when I couldn't even see more than 3 meters, it was like playing metal gear as a guard and being limited to yelling WHAT WAS THAT NOISE!? at every sound. So I shut off my light, jacked up my gamma, hobbled to the nearest bush, logged out and went to play something else, or at least try to find an X64 server.

And X64 wasn't much better, it was about 20 minutes of day, with 30 of night, I would see a zombie come screaming toward me from about 50 meters as I approached a clinic just for everything to black out resulting in me having to get out my .45, shoot it, then deal with the other zombies coming screaming toward me from all across the map until day came. I was ready to find the nearest person, give them all my stuff and jump off a building and not come back till beta started, it was unbearable. Still have my lights, but I tossed the gas lamp for being a giant "SHOOT ME!" beacon however, I'd prefer to just not play at night anymore till the lights are turned up a bit.

TL:DR Me with flashlight: Hurr I can't see 3 feet in front of me! Fresh spawn 2 feet away: WHAT WAS THAT NOISE!? Raider: *headshot on both from gamma exploiting*

Edit: This is also THAT ONE GUY who played Doom 3 mildly irritated, but not having an problems with the flashlight and darkness.

Edited by bodybagger2430
  • Like 1

There is not a myriad of factors otherwise you would have come up with more than two and something that has much more substance that what you decided to post. When people post examples, they use their strongest example and bugs and wrong models isn't exactly an example of strength. If it was an accident, it would have been shut off months ago, just like if the lights in soda machines was an accident they would have been shut off months ago.

If it was a bug, we would have a few house lights on or tower lights or even lighthouse lights. It is intentionally in the game and for a reason. 

Models are models and have absolutely nothing to do with code that turns on a light otherwise there would be lights present in other models that would never have a light which there isn't.

I can't remember if it was you or the other guy that talked about full moon nights, but full moon lights doesn't fit with realism/authenticity either. In what world is every night a full moon night?

Now that were on the discussion of magic, look at the shipwreck Riffy. People do enjoy have a shipwreck am I right or am I wrong? If you know anything about ships and shipwrecks you would know that Riffy isn't sitting in enough water to sit straight up. If that was real life, Riffy woud be on its side. Certain concessions need to be made and having street lights on is a complete must. Nobody plays nights because they don't want to look at a black screen and thats a fact.

Nah I'm against street lights 100% was kinda bummed out when I saw a couple on in standalone. It would ruin the atmosphere for me as the town just don't look right at all lit up when the apocalypse is happening, I remember my first trip to cherno in the mod in complete darkness, we arrived and could just make out the towering industrial area when a flare lit the area up. Looked epic. 

I personally love the night time unless you literally cant see a thing, I think there should be a limit to how dark it gets not related to realism else people will just exploit the gamma. They also need to fix that light shining through walls, add chem lights and flares and I would also like them to add lighters or be able to use matches for soft light sources. And definitely red filters.

Edited by Ricky Spanish

You aren't aware that there is a head torch and 2 flash light attachments for weapons I guess.

As for OP, pretty much what most other people are saying, gamma exploit.

Yes I wasn't aware that I start with pistol+flashlight and that I always find head torch.

The night, as it is, is too dark (pitch black), hence why people don't like it.

If you can't understand that...well, I woun't waste any more of my time with you.

Is that not the point?

Pitch black forced to deal with it with in game items and methods.

I would like to see torches added and I mean the kind made from rags fuel and a rod. Not the other word for flashlight.

I would love to see lanterns added as well once they institute some sort of base building to use as perimeter lighting that would illuminate a small radius around the wall they are on.

If you can just "cheat" the night what is the point in even having it?

Well why not to make night tad lighter? That I can see 10 meters in front of me or something.

After all, it is still just a game, they are NOT even trying to be 100% realistic (devs said that), but rather authentic. I do not think making night tad brighter would hurt anything.

Edited by Hombre

I just don't like, nor understand, why it is so dark. Literally, during the summer when I work at a Scout Camp 12 miles away from the nearest sizable town, I can see fine after a few minutes of eye adjustment, even during nights when there is no moon. In-game, I stumblefuck about until I change servers because the night sucks so much.

• Like 1

if i wanted realism i would go outside since i am playing a game i like to actually see more than a wall of black.

• Like 1

Nighttime was something i was really looking forward too. Had a bit of fun on it at first but then kept getting killed by people who could see me perfectly while all i saw was almost pitch black. After finding it was because of widespread gamma abuse and seeing pictures of what it appears like ingame i gave up on it. And it's just not worth getting even and gamma exploiting, ruins the point of night all together, it's sad that it's like this.

The levels of darkness could also use some tweaking, i don't mind pitch black (the stalker games with the complete mods did it extremely well, especially when storms rolled in and lightning lit up the area) but there is just something wrong with it in this game.

First off the night time is bugged just because it's nice time on your screen doesn't mean everyone else has the same time. I have proof of me seeing night and my buddy seeing full bright day time on the same sever. I was playing for over an hour he just joined and the day time was all messed up. For two they need to add moon lit nights.

Did some night hunting yesterday and it was kind of cool.
However, the Gamma stuff is just really really bad. Dimly lit grass planes became "black player runs on light grey/almost white background" killzones.
And the game looked outrageously bad!

When playing at acceptable gamma, doing an anti-zombie neighbourhood watch patrol, it was atmospheric and pretty tense.
We even had one of these girls in the group who always had to put on the flashlight... like when you do a night walk with a class. :D And then suddenly, when I was already shouting at him to turn it off, the cone illuminated a Z that was right 1 meter to my right. We all went "SHI....." and then gunfire erupted like mad.

So... night has potential.
But: I won't play against players at night when Gamma abuse puts the one who wants a nice experience at a huge disadvantage.

I thank you all for the replies you gave.

Yes so the problem with night gameplay is that its basically too much, I only hope that the Devs would see this post and consider tweaking it by possibly making making the night less dark and removing the gamma exploit.

I'll play on night when I can actually see shit, but I'm not going to adjust my gamma and I'm not going to put myself at a huge disadvantage against those who do, and without currently doing it there's not a lot of options for night time play.  The flash lights are pretty shitty, so until they get flares and glowsticks etc working I'll pass.

Also, the game isn't much of a survival game and offers no real incentive to stay on one server at the moment so until they get all that stuff sorted as well then I won't bother.

Basically, the game isn't complete enough to justify me putting up with night.

Gamma exploit. As long as that is in the game I wont bother with nighttime.

This.

With Gamma exploit night = almost day

I would love to play at (real) night

Because playing at night is pointless, lightning is horrible.

There is nothing realistic or good about it.

And obviously people use the gamma exploit, which destroys the thing completely.

You can use for fast gear though.

i was in a 40/40 server for the last 2 hours, just finished. it was full dark night, players were all over nwaf area. was good game