Vidura

Why wont people play in the night ?

I don't play at night because:

1) Light dynamics are crap! Lets not beat round the bush here.  When you're in a room with a torch there should be some level of ambient light caused by reflection/refraction whichever it is.... instead your left searching entirely using the spot light of the torch.... also on close objects the spot is too focused.

2) Everyone cheats with gamma/brightness so what's the point really.

Edited by stryker007

I don't play at night because:

1) Light dynamics are crap! Lets not beat round the bush here.  When you're in a room with a torch there should be some level of ambient light caused by reflection/refraction whichever it is.... instead your left searching entirely using the spot light of the torch.... also on close objects the spot is too focused.

2) Everyone cheats with gamma/brightness so what's the point really.

1) Portable gas lamp

Good idea but I think the only viable light source is the head torch... although I will try the gas lamp... does it still work if you put it in your pocket?  :)

• Like 1

Went to a server I don't usually play on and a friend joined me.  We realized it was getting dark (we normally play daytime only) and said why not try it.  It got so dark we could barely see, on the roads we could see objects, but looting anything was out.  Zombies, who are now a bit dangerous, were a huge pain to deal with.  We didn't log, but we were very happy the serer reset.  I'm not saying it was to dark, I've seen it that dark in real life (and it was raining in game which made the darkness even more reasonable).  What I am saying is that their is really no game play at that point.  We could navigate because we knew where we were going, but we couldn't loot anything, their is no way we could know if we were running up on someone or even a group of people.  Zombies became even more dangerous (silent zombies are bad, silent zombies you can't see are really bad).  Overall it simply wasn't fun.  That's why I don't play at night.

Good idea but I think the only viable light source is the head torch... although I will try the gas lamp... does it still work if you put it in your pocket?  :)

The gas lamp illuminates pretty large of an area and I honestly do like playing at night since discovering it. Doesn't shine trough your pockets , though, but you can place it on the ground. 

This thread made me want to give night a try, my only experience was just a couple minutes of play as a fresh spawn back in the first hours of play, needless to say I managed to bump right into a zed and die immediately (mostly I had no idea how to play).

I hope in the future it will be possible to double wield a few selected items: a handgun or small melee weapon in the right hand together with a flash light or a compass in the left hand could make a useful, and in my opinion, very reasonable combination which wouldn't be in any way overpowering but would instead lessen the annoyance of item swapping.

TL:DR Me with flashlight: Hurr I can't see 3 feet in front of me! Fresh spawn 2 feet away: WHAT WAS THAT NOISE!? Raider: *headshot on both from gamma exploiting*

That made me have a much needed laugh - well done Sir :D

We are given a torch in the beginning for a reason and the whole dynamics of the game changes during the night.

Because I cant see a thing. The torch is bugged or badly done at present and so for me its not enjoyable to play with a black screen in front of me. Make the torch behave correctly (see example below) and then I might!

http://miscreatedgame.com/wp-content/gallery/development/caveswip3.png

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-K6CrTYp1Ckw/UEbAmpD1bpI/AAAAAAAAACk/xvtFCrqe2Fw/s1600/slender_large_5.jpg

Edited by zeroy99
  • Like 1

I´am actually quite sad about the current nighttime-mechanics

cause i loved playing nighttime back in the mod

The reasons for taht were all mentioned before.

For me as Dev, this would one of the asap-prioritys

Cause current night in standalone is just .. yeah ..-_-

Edited by dawud

They bought this game to have an authentic survival experience right ? 

Did they? People have different motives and different likes/dislikes. Some people want an authentic experience and others want to run around killing everything they see. Some play at night and some don't. 

As I have experienced, I've played a few times through the night and only caught hackers that somehow see light playing in night servers. Therefore, I do not recommend you play on night servers until they can find a way to counter this "hack." Also, the fact that your vision doesnt adjust to the night nor does the moon brighten the ground even a bit makes it impossible to see a single thing in the dark... Lighting in the game for night time needs to be completely reworked... this includes flood lights and such

• Like 2

Simple fix that won't ever happen. Remove gamma and brightness from in-game options.

For crying out loud my monitor already does this. Do I really need a 2nd option that I can legitimately exploit to gain an advantage over players looking to immerse themselves within this game? No, no I do not.

I lend a /facepalm to the Dev's....

Edited by RyBo

if all servers ran on the same time anyone whose in a time zone away from what ever thiey're synched to would be only getting night. ever.

Just make all servers run with the same time but make it so the day only last 18-22 hours. This way if you play in Europe you will be playing day time one day, but you will be forced to play at night about a week later.

Im sure its not just me but heres what happens when night approaches for me as a player.

1. Try to play in the dark legit horribly and maybe end up dying trying to find something that may or may not be a building.

2. Play with gamma up like a night owl and run around barely enjoying the game because everything is still very hard to make out.

3. Go to bed or take a nap than start playing at some stupidly obscure European time that i should be sleeping on.

4. Play a different game for the remainder of the day.

5. Hope to find a 24/7 Daylight server to enjoy all the work the game has put into it while sight seeing the beautiful landscapes.

Im sure its not just me but heres what happens when night approaches for me as a player.

1. Try to play in the dark legit horribly and maybe end up dying trying to find something that may or may not be a building.

2. Play with gamma up like a night owl and run around barely enjoying the game because everything is still very hard to make out.

3. Go to bed or take a nap than start playing at some stupidly obscure European time that i should be sleeping on.

4. Play a different game for the remainder of the day.

5. Hope to find a 24/7 Daylight server to enjoy all the work the game has put into it while sight seeing the beautiful landscapes.

my feelings pretty much. They really should take CCP's lead here and try to stay Hands' off as much as possible- not steering game play. "heres the tool and the mechanics have a blast" philosophy. considering that theres multiple servers to choose from leaving Day/night cycle and speed of them if present a server option would be cool with me.

Im sorry but if only 1 in 100 players want to play at night maybe you just need to finde a niche server or accept that the way night is in this game isnt an enjoyable aspect. the majority shouldn't be forced to play a certain way for the enterttainment of a miniscule minority.

Edited by Sovetsky

Gamma exploit. As long as that is in the game I wont bother with nighttime.

While i agree with you, I'm a graphist and i can tell you that every display is different, from the shittiest to the most expensive, all of them need some degree of calibration to display colors properly.

Saying that, it doesn't mean that you need that option to be accessible during a play session, as long as you can adjust it at some point.

my feelings pretty much. They really should take CCP's lead here and try to stay Hands' off as much as possible- not steering game play. "heres the tool and the mechanics have a blast" philosophy. considering that theres multiple servers to choose from leaving Day/night cycle and speed of them if present a server option would be cool with me.

Im sorry but if only 1 in 100 players want to play at night maybe you just need to finde a niche server or accept that the way night is in this game isnt an enjoyable aspect. the majority shouldn't be forced to play a certain way for the enterttainment of a miniscule minority.

You mean the CCP that had numerous staff members part of BoB?

While i agree with you, I'm a graphist and i can tell you that every display is different, from the shittiest to the most expensive, all of them need some degree of calibration to display colors properly.

Saying that, it doesn't mean that you need that option to be accessible during a play session, as long as you can adjust it at some point.

+1

also keep in ind that most can actually acheive this by jacking it up on the monitor it's self, rendering any attempt to restrict valid video adjustment options pointless.

You mean the CCP that had numerous staff members part of BoB?

I cant think of any Large MMO thats run for 8+ years let alone over a decade that hasnt had some form of scandal or miscunduct by an employee at some point. To this day tho reimbursements are rare, very little and in most cases nothing is done to prevent player orginizations manipulating the economy or other aspects to thier advantage. Meta play is best play in any persistent worl IMHO. the moment the devs start trying to make you adjust yojur playstyle to suit thier vision the watter becomes muddied, atleast that's my POV.

I cant think of any Large MMO thats run for 8+ years let alone over a decade that hasnt had some form of scandal or miscunduct by an employee at some point. To this day tho reimbursements are rare, very little and in most cases nothing is done to prevent player orginizations manipulating the economy or other aspects to thier advantage. Meta play is best play in any persistent worl IMHO. the moment the devs start trying to make you adjust yojur playstyle to suit thier vision the watter becomes muddied, atleast that's my POV.

Well i'll just disagree there. I think devs have a right to steer players toward what is the expected play experience. Server hopping in DayZ is clearly not part of the expected experience.

Yes, and there's a difference between dictating gameplay and crafting an experience. We have no idea, somewhat misleadingly, what DayZ is intended to be. Because we've never had a finished product. Even with the mod, certain things just couldn't be done the way the developers intended (see zombies, vehicles, construction, etc.)

That and the efficacy of CCP's approach is debatable at best. Emergent gameplay is certainly something worth pursuing, but a wholly unregulated experience isn't. Even something like EVE is very much a regulated experience, CCP is constantly tweaking the parameters in which players participate.

Sometimes... people just don't know what's good, to be honest. And simply because something's popular and player-derived, doesn't make it beneficial or worthwhile.

Case in point, the mod. People absolutely adored (and still do) detrimental things like sidechat. People migrated in droves to mods which resembled DayZ in name only, hemorrhaging players away from the vanilla mod. I'm all for player freedom, but the second you give the playerbase the capability to make something so different from the vanilla experience as to pervert the entire nature of DayZ, it becomes a concern of function rather than idealistic commitment to emergent gameplay. 

Edited by Katana67

I agree with this however I think they should make night not optional.

Not every server should run at the same time though that would be ridiculous what about people in different time zones? No.

All they need to do is make it a bit brighter at night, so you can just barely see without a torch. Who the hell wants to play a game where you can see like a foot in front of you for hours? That's not realistic at all the moon should give a nice glow to the landscape.

Hardly anyone plays at night because without torches you can't enjoy it, and with torches some a-hole could be sitting on a hill looking at your "SHOOT ME I'M OPEN" light

I'd love to play at night but it's just far too dark and hardly anyone does it.

If zombies didn't spawn at night then night would be cool for some tactical PVP without zombie interference, that's another thing I think they should do. Maybe zombies get too cold and can't move properly at night could be explained some way like that.

I like the game at night when i have the gas lantern but that makes you a big target and rightly so but when you turn it off or get killed it's just to dark for me and i do not like playing with the gamma up as i don't like using any sort of exploits.

I like the game at night when i have the gas lantern but that makes you a big target and rightly so but when you turn it off or get killed it's just to dark for me and i do not like playing with the gamma up as i don't like using any sort of exploits.

Yeah, have you ever walked around at night away from street lights? It's not pitch black your eyes adjust and you can make out basic detail and if the moon is out then you can see decent enough to navigate.

But in game it's just blackness the stars are the only light source that isn't artificial and are basically all you can see.

If they made it so you could see a little and then added things like night vision goggles I'm sure way more people would play at night.