Vidura

Why wont people play in the night ?

I don't mind the night, but currently the gameplay isn't really focussed on night time at all.

1. Zombies are still too bugged to consistently avoid using stealth or cover.

2. There aren't any items or events that encourage me to try out night time. Waiting for the persistent items and fortifications that make it worth it to defend a particular area. Also night time should probably affect zombie behaviour.

3. Accelerated time isn't on all servers yet I think, it's unclear to me how to pick a server with a certain time schedule.

And of course the gamma exploit is of course a large discouragement.

People will never play on night for 2 reasons.

#1 the night looks terrible and you cannot see most of the time, not being able to see just creates increased frustration especially when you have zombies glitching through walls smacking you.

#2. People abuse the night not only do you have to worry about people peeking through houses and over and around cover using 3pv they now have to worry about gamma and brightness abusers.

Until flares are back and I can go on a marathron spree lighting up the entirety of downtown cherno with that sweet red glow I'll stick to daytime.

Back in the early mod days the global side chat and flares made night a ton of fun, now it's just an empty dark nothing.

Edited by jukaga

DontbeaPussy.jpg

Just saying

Some of the best times I ever had were at night.  If you can't see... get a light!!  Want added security, play with a group!  Shame so many people play this game for gear and not for the game...  you know your gear doesn't go with you into the afterlife..  its ok to lose it once in a while ;)

• Like 1

I keep hearing about this gamma exploit. Didn't they fix that?

It's not possible and not desirable. Name me another game that restricts image settings? Everyone has a different GFX card/monitor combo, there is no one size fits all solution.

Lets set some facts straight.

Night time sucks right now. No flares or chemlights, clairvoyants zombies, flashlight taking both hands, gamma exploit not fixed, no sense of touch, etc. I loved playing night time back in the mod, and I never play night time now in the SA.

But problem is people uses those facts as an excuse for "game needs a 2h day cycle!!",  "night must only last for 15 minutes!!", "nights need to be on a scale of grey!!" and more casual videogames bullshit. Well, take note guys: night time doesn't have to be enjoyable right now, because game is an Alpha!! Yeah, I hate that argument too, but in this particular matter its suitable. Why is that??? well, because we need to see how the timezone/day cycle/night time going to be in the final product, fixing the only core problem that relates to actual day cycle: playing server with same timezones implies playing always day/night if you're used to play same schedule every day (with most of us are). So I want to see the final solution to that.

When this is done, we cant focus on the rest of the problems night time implies, thus making the night enjoyable, which I think is just a matter of adding content (flares, chems, fireplaces, nvg, some sort of hud to make up for the lack of sense of touch and much more things I cant even imagine probably).

I was playing on a hardcore server yesterday that was full and late evening when I joined. An hour and a half later it had been dark for over an hour and there was still a full server.

Could it be that hardcore players are more hardcore? Leave 3pp servers and you'll be more satisfied with the quality of players you play with.

• Like 1

I was playing on a hardcore server yesterday that was full and late evening when I joined. An hour and a half later it had been dark for over an hour and there was still a full server.

Could it be that hardcore players are more hardcore? Leave 3pp servers and you'll be more satisfied with the quality of players you play with.

Not really lol. Im on a hardcore all day server. XD

And if im ever forced to go night i gamma. And guess what? There PROBABLY gammaing to if you dont see them all leaving at night.

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 2

If only the servers all ran on the same time..................

This ain't China, we ain't all in the same time zone. If you have not noticed the night cycle is longer than the day cycle. I like night too but to be honest most would hunker down at night anyway.

Should i rely post another post(sorry for tautology), about - Sources of light just tell everyone - HEY I AM HERE, KILL ME!!!!

Or everyone know this? Just fix eyes(like 30 minutes for them to adapt for night) and make things visible

Or just add night-vision(and ballistic rockets)

I don't know, but I dislike night time unless I crank up gamma/brightness.

I mean yeah, we start with flashlight...but can we defend ourselves with flashlight in hand?

So I should always drop flashlight on the ground to fight zombies or players that go after me?

For me night is just not good when it's pitch black. If it was tad less black, I might like it.

Btw would love nicely done fog or snowing.

Is that not the point?

Pitch black forced to deal with it with in game items and methods.

I would like to see torches added and I mean the kind made from rags fuel and a rod. Not the other word for flashlight.

I would love to see lanterns added as well once they institute some sort of base building to use as perimeter lighting that would illuminate a small radius around the wall they are on.

If you can just "cheat" the night what is the point in even having it?

Once we get moonrise, if it isn't storming, night is ok. Ambient light is pretty good then. Pitch black is when I hunker down, no use stumbling around in the dark agroing zeds. Judicious use of your flashlight is something to get used to. I would like a red filter though, that would be handy.

Edited by Barnabus

Once we get moonrise, if it isn't storming, night is ok. Ambient light is pretty good then. Pitch black is when I hunker down, no use stumbling around in the dark agroing zeds. Judicious use of your flashlight is something to get used to. I would like a red filter though, that would be handy.

I like the idea of red filter or blue.

Moon light would be a nice solution to less pitch black without having to gamma cheat the game.

We do get moon rise in game now., usually around 2am or so, but it sets pretty fast. The transition to dawn is a bit fast though.

Edited by Barnabus

It would be cool if they added vampires cus then if we got bit we could see in the night n fly n stuff...

• Like 1

They bought this game to have an authentic survival experience right ? But even now with accelerated time I see full servers emptying out once the sun starts going down. We are given a torch in the beginning for a reason and the whole dynamics of the game changes during the night.

If only the servers all ran on the same time..................

cuz its boring as fuck having a black screen..

if thats your idea of "fun" then fuill your boots..

i'll stick to servers were i can see what the fuck im doing..

Is that not the point?

Pitch black forced to deal with it with in game items and methods.

Indeed. That is the point, and I am myself really intrigued by the prospect.

I like the idea of red filter or blue.

Moon light would be a nice solution to less pitch black without having to gamma cheat the game.

It also very much depends on the phase of the moon whether it can provide enough light to actually let you see anything during night. In the Northern hemisphere it is only when it is around fullest that it can provide such an effect.

This ain't China, we ain't all in the same time zone. If you have not noticed the night cycle is longer than the day cycle. I like night too but to be honest most would hunker down at night anyway.

Sort of fun that they only have one... totally defies the actual fact the planet is revolving around the sun but hey its China.

• Like 1

It also very much depends on the phase of the moon whether it can provide enough light to actually let you see anything during night. In the Northern hemisphere it is only when it is around fullest that it can provide such an effect.

I live in the N hemisphere around the 42 par.

As long as the moon is high in the sky it can be even a half moon and it throws good reflected light. Not as good as full but still could see more than pitch black.

I have seen moons so bright here you could read outside at night.

I have seen moons so bright here you could read outside at night.

Me too. Around full moon. It even throws very large and visible shadows. But not the rest of the time. Remember in DayZ there will be no artificial light sources to light up the sky.

Edited by BadAsh

Me too. Around full moon. It even throws very large and visible shadows. But not the rest of the time. Remember in DayZ there will be no artificial light sources to light up the sky.

I could have sworn there were some street lights still working.

And code often contains bugs. Or it means that a map designer could've potentially used the wrong model when putting in new streetlights. There are a myriad of factors to explain why only a random few streetlights are on in Standalone.

There is not a myriad of factors otherwise you would have come up with more than two and something that has much more substance that what you decided to post. When people post examples, they use their strongest example and bugs and wrong models isn't exactly an example of strength. If it was an accident, it would have been shut off months ago, just like if the lights in soda machines was an accident they would have been shut off months ago.

If it was a bug, we would have a few house lights on or tower lights or even lighthouse lights. It is intentionally in the game and for a reason. 

Models are models and have absolutely nothing to do with code that turns on a light otherwise there would be lights present in other models that would never have a light which there isn't.

I can't remember if it was you or the other guy that talked about full moon nights, but full moon lights doesn't fit with realism/authenticity either. In what world is every night a full moon night?

Now that were on the discussion of magic, look at the shipwreck Riffy. People do enjoy have a shipwreck am I right or am I wrong? If you know anything about ships and shipwrecks you would know that Riffy isn't sitting in enough water to sit straight up. If that was real life, Riffy woud be on its side. Certain concessions need to be made and having street lights on is a complete must. Nobody plays nights because they don't want to look at a black screen and thats a fact.